PDA

View Full Version : How much and when to add Nutients

John E.
12-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Made my first batch of mead on the 29th, 2 gallon batch,
1-packet D47 yeast,
6-Lbs orange blossom honey
1/4 teaspoon Goferm (forgot to mix with yeast added with Fermaid K)
1/4 teaspoon Fermaid K
added more Fermaid K 1/4 teaspoon and stirred 5 hours later
Question is how much and how often to add Fermaid K
I have searched and the calculators donot seem to help me much.
Thank you
John E.

tweak'e
12-31-2011, 06:24 PM
every one is a little bit different on how much they put in.

i would say you have about 1/2 in at the moment. the next lot needs to go in about 1/3 sugar depletion. so roughly about 1.070 gravity add another 1/2 teaspoon.

John E.
01-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Did as you suggested everything is going well now has been fermmenting right along. Started my 2nd batch now trying JAO. looks like nit is doing great also.
Thanks this forum is a real help.

John E.

John E.
02-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Everything went well. Getting ready to rack into 2-0ne gallon carboys.One will be for vanilla, and cinammon. The other will be with peaches added into secondary. My biggest question this time would be we have plenty of peaches frozen but when we defrost them they turn brown will the brown hurt the mead and with 4 lbs of peaches I will need to add about 1/2 teaspoon of pectin enzymes. Does that sound about right to you all.
Took my FG last week and it was 1.01. I do plan on backsweetening after all is said and done.
Thank you all for putting up with this new-bee questions.

John E.
02-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Everything went well. Getting ready to rack into 2-0ne gallon carboys.One will be for vanilla, and cinammon. The other will be with peaches added into secondary. My biggest question this time would be we have plenty of peaches frozen but when we defrost them they turn brown will the brown hurt the mead and with 4 lbs of peaches I will need to add about 1/2 teaspoon of pectin enzymes. Does that sound about right to you all.
Took my FG last week and it was 1.01. I do plan on backsweetening after all is said and done.
Thank you all for putting up with this new-bee questions.

Not sure I posted this right the first time.

Chevette Girl
02-13-2012, 06:14 PM
The browning shouldn't hurt the mead, it's just a little oxidation on the fruit surface.

I usually use 1/2 tsp per gallon of pectic enzyme so that sounds right.

If you started this in a bucket, you might want to rack off your cinnamon/vanilla batch into its carboy and then tie the peaches into a mesh bag (clean dish towel or pillowcase will work, just boil it for a few minutes to sanitize it and remove any detergent residue from washing) add the bag to your bucket, give it a week or two to do its thing, fish out the fruit bag, let it drip, let the must settle for a day or so and then rack into the other carboy. It'll be a lot easier than fishing mushy peach bits out of a carboy... If you try to do that in a 1-gal carboy you're not going to have much room for mead after adding the peaches and your racking losses will be pretty hefty so you'll have to store any excess mead that wouldn't fit in the carboy.

John E.
01-29-2013, 01:55 AM
Been racking these meads every two months and topping off to minimize headspace. Cinnamon vanilla good for taste of cinnamon on the fore front, vanilla after taste with a slight alcohol burn in the middle. Going to let this one sit for a while longer.

Peach mead tastes fantastic, great peach smell even better peach taste. Slight hint of citrus in the middle. Going to let this one sit also.

JAO done drake all of it.
Started another one about 4 months ago. Letting it sit.

Ginger about one year old. Good ginger taste big alcohol burn. Let it sit.

Traditional good semi dry. Letting it sit.

I now have six meads sitting for bulk aging.

Thank you

John E.