PDA

View Full Version : Fleismanns bread yeast?

JohnS
01-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Got a stupid question... JAO calls for Fleismanns bread yeast. Will any kind of bread yeast do?

I think so, but just want to make sure.

tweak'e
01-03-2012, 12:24 AM
no.

as i under stand it a lot of them will not work. if you can't find that paticlur brand you will need to find someone who has used another brand sucessfully.

Loadnabox
01-03-2012, 12:41 AM
Technically Fleischmanns is it, however I know many of the people outside of the US cannot get their hands on it.

From other postings Red Star bread yeast supposedly works very well and is easily acquired outside the states. (Please note the difference between Red Star bread yeast and Red Star Wine yeast)

JohnS
01-03-2012, 01:08 AM
I forgot to mention that i have something called bakers corner active dry yeast. Maybe its better to go to the store tomorrow and get the Fleischmanns.

Is one kind of Fleischmanns better then another? I think there might be several varieties.

thanks in advance

fatbloke
01-03-2012, 01:42 AM
You cant get Fleischmanns here, yets 3 different local bread yeasts have worked fine !

fong song
01-03-2012, 02:42 AM
I have two batches with Hovis bread yeast at the mo. Will let you know how they go when ready but they only started on 9/12/11 (3 weeks ago)

Chevette Girl
01-03-2012, 03:16 AM
no.

as i under stand it a lot of them will not work. if you can't find that paticlur brand you will need to find someone who has used another brand sucessfully.

We just consider it "breaking the warranty" on JAO because the recipe was researched, developed and tested by Joe using that particular yeast. It will likely work about the same as long as it's a standard bread yeast, we just can't guarantee the results of the JAO recipe will be exact if you change out the yeast. But it'll probably be pretty close. I've been tempted to try starting a JAO with sourdough starter one of these days (that to-brew list keeps getting longer)...

I use Fleischmann's bread yeast from my bulk food store, you can probably get it in packets or a jar, what you're looking for is NOT quick-acting or for bread machines, just plain old bread yeast, sounds like your active dry yeast is the correct product even if it's not the same manifacturer. I've never seen any yeast BUT Fleischmann's where I shop, it'd be interesting to mail each other a few yeast packets and see if JAO comes out any different from what we're used to :)

JohnS
02-03-2012, 04:31 PM
for this JAO I was asking about the yeast. Well I believe its about done. I just put it in the basement where its about 53f and hoping it will clear a bit more. I took a sample from the clover and another sample from the blueberry and I was a bit surprised. The blueberry definitely has hints of blueberry in while the clover tastes like old fashioned honey. it is what it is, I guess. I have not tried the orange nor the wildflower yet, but I expect it will all get bottled early next week.

The question is this. All of these batches had an OG of about 1.135 but the SG for the clover is different then the SG for the blueberry. Clover has a SG of about 1.090 and the blueberry came in closer to 1.030. This is a huge difference and I am wondering if there is something in the blueberry that would make it have a higher ABV, or is there another reason for this. I have not taken the SG of the other two batches, but I suspect it will come in somewhere in between.

speedreader
02-03-2012, 06:05 PM
I used Red Star bread yeast successfully for a JAO.

Loadnabox
02-03-2012, 07:35 PM
for this JAO I was asking about the yeast. Well I believe its about done. I just put it in the basement where its about 53f and hoping it will clear a bit more. I took a sample from the clover and another sample from the blueberry and I was a bit surprised. The blueberry definitely has hints of blueberry in while the clover tastes like old fashioned honey. it is what it is, I guess. I have not tried the orange nor the wildflower yet, but I expect it will all get bottled early next week.

The question is this. All of these batches had an OG of about 1.135 but the SG for the clover is different then the SG for the blueberry. Clover has a SG of about 1.090 and the blueberry came in closer to 1.030. This is a huge difference and I am wondering if there is something in the blueberry that would make it have a higher ABV, or is there another reason for this. I have not taken the SG of the other two batches, but I suspect it will come in somewhere in between.

There is some evidence that darker honies have more nutrients and ferment more vigorously. There's enough other factors that can affect things though I'm not sure I would say for certain that was the cause.

mmclean
02-03-2012, 07:46 PM
There is some evidence that darker honies have more nutrients and ferment more vigorously.

Urban Dictionary:

honies
1. modified spelling of plural version of honey - honeys; used to connote fine or very attractive young women.

Is this what you meant?

I agree 100%. ;D

Chevette Girl
02-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Sounds to me like your clover mead's gotten stuck. Was it a straight unmodified JAO?

JohnS
02-03-2012, 08:21 PM
mmclean Hilarious ;D

CG, I used the exact same water, yeast, and everything else at the same time, but it came in at a different SG, Now I am thinking I should check the others. I followed the recipe as close as possible. The only difference was in the honey.

If its stuck, I am not sure what the reason would be other then its they way it is suppose to be.

JohnS
02-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Ok, I just took a hydrometer reading and the wildflower was at 1.038 and the orange was at 1.32. Its still a mystery to me as to what happened. I am not sure why the same batches made at the same time all have different readings and the clover is stuck.

Now, I am sure the clover is stuck, but not sure the reason why.

Guess I will have to try energizer, or nuke some dehydrated yeast and pitch it in there. Don't think I will waste a packet of the hammer yeast (EC 1118 ) on it even though its in the fridge.

And the ph is a bit low. about 3.2 or 3.1. Guess I will have to add a bit some calcium carbonate and some yeast hulls to get it to finish off.

Chevette Girl
02-04-2012, 01:48 AM
My JAO's usually finish around 1.030, +/-.005... but I had one quit at 1.060 once... Every now and then, something just sticks. It happens, doesn't necessarily reflect upon your abilities as a meadmaker, sometimes the yeastes just have a mind of their own and go on strike... The low pH may well have something to do with it, and I did just have a batch made with regular yeast that'd stuck at 1.030 for the last year kick up again when I fed it some microwaved yeast and aerated it...

JohnS
02-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Well i tried nuking bread yeast and that did not work. Then I tried frying bread yeast and that did not work.

Today I added 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient (DAP I believe), and 1/4 tsp energizer. I will check the gravity 2morrow and see if it changes.

If that does not work, then I will have to bring in the big boy and I am almost certain that will work (the EC 1118).

Also after minor adjustments to the PH its now approximately 3.6. At first I added too much of the calcium carbonate. The package said 5/8 of a tsp to a gallon. I added 1/2 tsp and it came out to be about 4.4 or a little over. 4.4 is the highest thats on my scale anyway. I adjusted it by adding a capful of lemon juice and it now sits at the aforementioned.

Anyway, I am not sorry that its stuck. Actually its good practice for me to learn how to unstuck it. Still hoping for the best and that the DAP and energizer will do the trick.