PDA

View Full Version : Concentrate vs Puree

THawk
01-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Is there a difference between these two? Just wondering if I could ferment some organic Black Cherry Concentrate. List of ingredients basically says that it's 100% juice, no additives, etc. Comes in 12.5 fl oz bottles...

huesmann
01-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Puree includes pulp. Concentrate is juice only, with some water removed. Concentrate should have a higher sugar concentration.

THawk
01-05-2012, 10:26 PM
so if I were to make a black cherry mead using concentrate, how much less should I add if, for argument's sake, the rule of thumb is a pound per gallon?

mmclean
01-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Not sure about that THawk, may depend on how concentrated it is.

However, most people don't like the results of Black Cherry Mead. Or Sweet Cherries for that matter. Only the tart cherries seem to produce a good mead.

THawk
01-08-2012, 11:07 PM
However, most people don't like the results of Black Cherry Mead. Or Sweet Cherries for that matter. Only the tart cherries seem to produce a good mead.

What's the common negative on a sweet cherry mead? That it tastes like Robitussin? :)

Chevette Girl
01-08-2012, 11:10 PM
It really can, I tasted one this Xmas made by a friend of my in-laws! Just like cherry cough syrup!

Mine, however, tasted of nothing but alcohol last time I checked it. At least it's got a lovely colour... I should dig out a bottle and try it again when I next do inventory though, its second run melomel isn't bad but tastes nothing of cherry.