PDA

View Full Version : Slowest fermentation ever?

speedreader
01-04-2012, 03:36 PM
This is an offshoot of this thread. (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18533)

Basically, I did an honey/agave mix and after getting seriously stuck, all my efforts to unstick yielded a nicely fermented 6-gallon batch and three one-gallon science experiments.

The 6-gallon is fine. It's the other three that now probably need some attention.

Of the experiments, two are still slowly pushing bubbles through the airlock. This is four months later. These are basically identical musts with different yeasts (call these A and B).

The third, has barely moved, but it has moved (current S.G. is at about 1.066... call this one C).

Here's the thing, I put these under a table in my office (stays warm in there) and figured I'd let them go as long as possible. So I haven't even racked once. Took forever to get things going and I didn't want to kill the fermentation no matter how slowly it was progressing.

So, should I go ahead and rack A and B. One is getting close to 1.002, the other is at around 1.010? Again, these were pretty much experiments, as I wouldn't sure they would ferment (but both are still sending bubbles through the airlock), so I'm not too worried about them. But seeing how they've gotten so far, I'm guessing I should try to salvage them off the lees, no?

As for C... Getting the rest of the way through that sugar would take the balance of the year from start (first week of September) or longer at this rate.

I dumped a tiny bit (~1/8 tsp) of yeast energizer in and it ate it up. Almost got an tiny instant MEA, but that quickly dissipated and is back to looking near dormant. My question here is should I just go back to leaving it alone and check in in another couple months? Should I feed it more energizer? Aerate it? Use it as coffee sweetener?

All three look pretty good, although C is cloudy (which make sense). No weird smells or tastes or anything.

Thanks in advance.

Chevette Girl
01-04-2012, 05:40 PM
The one that's at 1.002 is probably safe to rack, the other one too. C, however, is stuck way too high to look like it's going to finish on its own. Try a good aeration (even if it's just theifing a litre or two in a juice bottle and shaking the crap out of it a few times to degas and a few more times to aerate) and see if that helps, and if that doesn't get the SG to start dropping visibly, I'd make up an acclimated starter with whatever yeast you originally used and repitch, it's probably past the point where nutrients or energizer will help.

As for bubbling for frigging ever, my first strawberry wine bubbled for 4 years at a SG around 1.000 before I got tired of waiting for it and hit it with sulphites... turned out just fine. My boil/no boil show meads slowed down around 1.030 and in the last year have made it down around 1.010, they're still making the odd bubble so I'm leaving them alone until they're done.

speedreader
01-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks and funny you mention aeration. After posting I figured that couldn't hurt (for batch C) to give it a shake. And sure enough it released all kinds of (what I can only assume is) C02. So clearly it could use a degassing. Didn't really jump start anything, as it settled back to almost dormant looking.

Clearly it's fermenting. Just really... really... .... ... ... really... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... slowly.

Chevette Girl
01-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks and funny you mention aeration. After posting I figured that couldn't hurt (for batch C (and it has the highest agave/honey ratio)). And sure enough it released all kinds of (what I can only assume is) C02. So clearly it could use a degassing. Didn't really jump start anything, as it settled back to almost dormant looking.

Clearly it's fermenting. Just really... really... .... ... ... really... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... slowly.

Well, it might take a while for the CO2 to build up again to the point where it releases through the airlock... Give it a week and see if the SG changes... but I also had one that seemed to be really, really slow... I left it in the carboy for a couple years thinking it's got to be done by now, checked the SG and it was over 1.060 (and it wasn't a high grav must to start off with either), so I repitched with the same yeast, and lo and behold two weeks later, 1.000...