PDA

View Full Version : JAOM bread yeast help.

cjuenchico27
01-05-2012, 08:29 PM
So I've made the must for my first ever batch of mead. I've followed joes recipe to the letter, only problem is I can't get fleischmanns bread yeast where I live. I have two types of allinsons bread yeast to use and I'm not sure which one to use.

One is a sachet of alinsons easy bake bread yeast...the stuff recommended for bread machines... Looks pretty standard

The other is a tin of allinsons active dried yeast... Not recommended for bread machines... Grains are quite a bit larger than the sachet...

Just waiting for the must to cool down then I'm ready to pitch the yeast.... Which yeast do I use???

Riverat
01-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Not familiar with either of those but if I were a gambling man I go for the tin of active dried if only because I seen to have seen the plain active fleischmanns reccommended over the bread machine variety in here somewhere....and of course it's always easier gabling on someone eles's batch (LOL)

cjuenchico27
01-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Well here goes nothing..... Lol

Chevette Girl
01-05-2012, 09:37 PM
I second Riverat's suggestion, the bread machine stuff is designed for specific performance, the tinned stuff is what I'd go for too.

fatbloke
01-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Ah, well, I'm on the mainland, and yes, I've successfully used the Allinsons i.e. the one in the tin.

It works fine.

And in the same way, I usually make mine to 1 imperial gallon, which also works fine.

I've yet to have it good as soon as its finished, but I've no problem ageing it for 6 months plus.......

Chevette Girl
01-06-2012, 01:43 AM
Hey Fatbloke, what SG do yours usually finish at?

cjuenchico27
01-06-2012, 08:21 AM
The tinned stuff worked a treat! 11 hours after pitching, the airlock is bubbling away nicely and everything looks on course :) thanks guys looking forward to the first taste in 2 months !

fatbloke
01-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Hey Fatbloke, what SG do yours usually finish at?
I'm far too disorganised to have ever actually measured a FG reading for JAO.

I take it "on spec" with the recipe and just chuck it together and let it do its thing.

But I promise to try and remember to do a brew log with the next batch........

Chevette Girl
01-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Cool, I don't often measure them but when I do, I generally find bread yeast can take a must with SG 1.125 down to 1.030 pretty consistently. I'm curious what effect diluting it slightly by using an Imperial gallon instead of a 'Merican one will have.

cjuenchico27, sounds like you're on track! Keep us posted on your progress!

Loadnabox
01-06-2012, 12:00 PM
With Fleischmanns I aim for the OG to be 1.155 before I add the oranges and spice.

After oranges and spice the OG tends to drop to 1.145

In a batch under these conditions mine generally finishes between 1.030 and 1.035