PDA

View Full Version : Mazer Cup 2012... Who is going?

Mars Colonist
01-06-2012, 02:12 PM
So... I booked my flight and hotel room today.... Stoked!
Havent been to Colorado in a number of years. Look forward to meeting some other GotMeaders! If you need to ID me, I look remarkably similar to my profile pic ;)

Do commercial meaderies typically have any liquid wares to sell there? It is a raging PITA to get stuff here....

jlerner
01-06-2012, 02:28 PM
I plan on attending - mabey we should wear our profile pics on lapel stickers :)

(I bear only a slight resemblance to the AH-64 Apache)

YogiBearMead726
01-06-2012, 02:54 PM
I am planning to go, just need to book my room/flight. It should be a bunch of fun.

As for the commercial guys plying their wares, I'm not so sure. There were dumped that one meadery was going to have a little party at their room since the public tasting got cut...though it's just a rumor. :)

skunkboy
01-06-2012, 07:53 PM
The public tasting, as in the dinner with samples got canceled?

skunkboy
01-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Doh, the answer is yes. I should check the Mazer Cup website more often. Bummer, not sure if it make sense for me to try and fly out just to steward. Maybe I should save up for 2013...

Mars Colonist
01-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Im really hoping for some private room offerings at this point..

TheAlchemist
01-08-2012, 01:40 PM
The public tasting, as in the dinner with samples got canceled?

Major Bummer!
I had already bought my ticket to Denver, including those dates, as the AAHPM Assembly is there the following weekend.

I sure hope there's room for me as a volunteer!

Doesn't look like this is a good year to needle CG into getting a passport...

Chevette Girl
01-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Doesn't look like this is a good year to needle CG into getting a passport...

Yeah, not so much. Although I may send some "marinades" or "yeast samples" to enter this year :)

AToE
01-08-2012, 10:40 PM
It's a bummer there's no public events this year, but I'd say it's still seriously worth the trip - it's a blast, great people great mead and great learning. ;D

On a down note... I'm not totally sure if I'm actually going to be able to go this year, funding is running pretty short for me right now. Hopefully I'll be able to pull it together in time, otherwise I'll just have to ship out my entries and wait for 2013 to come down again. :(

Guinlilly
01-08-2012, 10:44 PM
We'll be sending entries but no visit for us this year. Flights are just too much $ from the east coast. I know Jon wants to go be a judge some day though. ;D

TheAlchemist
01-09-2012, 12:22 PM
So, Alan, did you quit smoking Oct 1st?
How's it going?!

akueck
01-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Would love to go, but won't be back in the US yet. Ah well, there is always 2013. :D

veritas
01-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Something for me to add to my schedule for 2013 as well.

wayneb
01-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Well, I'll be there - but you all knew that already! ;D

Seriously, while we cannot have the public events this year (such as the paired tasting), anyone who volunteers will be on the roster to participate in our PRIVATE awards ceremony/banquet, and will have access to the private rooms of all commercial meaderies present & open to room guests for part of the weekend. There will be no shortage of opportunities to learn more about meads and meadmaking through firsthand experience, for all volunteers at the event. But because this is a private function, ALL participants must be registered as (and actually be) volunteers in one capacity or another during the competitions, in order to be allowed into the awards ceremony.

And Alan, if you have a car and want to drive down (I know, it's a long trip - but cheaper than most flights across the border), that might help the bottom line.

Smarrikĺka
01-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Sending 5 meads in today, and plan to be there.

Seems to be a problem with the entry registrations though, but I'm sure it'll be sorted. I hope it'll be as much fun as it was 2010.

jkane
01-10-2012, 11:52 AM
My wife and I are seriously considering going. Of course we pick a year with less activities to make time to go. :(

How does volunteering work? Should we volunteer for everything we are qualified or capable of doing, or just those things you want to do the most? How are volunteers selected? I would hate to only volunteer to judge and not be needed and not have also volunteered to stewert or even help with setup or something. I also don't want to volunteer for too much and have not time to enjoy the weekend!

We are both BJCP judges with the mead endorsement. Does the comp need judges, or do they have plenty of local judges already?

AToE
01-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Smoking - almost made it and then failed. Gearing up for another go at it right now.

Mazer cup - the flight actually isn't that bad, I have access to a lot of airmiles, it's more the rest of the costs involved that add up pretty quickly. I'm sure I spent over $300 on a room + food/etc last time I was down. (This past year has been a very expensive one for me, so my budget is far slimmer now than it was this time last year)

Also taking the time off work is a little tricky.

I'm working hard to see if I can figure out a way to make it work this year, but in all honesty it's not looking great, which is extremely dissapointing. There's always next year if I can't pull it together this year though. :)

wayneb
01-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Jeff - The Mazer Cup Needs Judges! If you're BJCP cert'ed, and especially if you have the mead endorsement (or if you are cert'ed under the new Mead Judge category) then BY ALL MEANS volunteer to judge. We'll put your skills to good use. Last year we had over 250 entries just in the home competition -- no local judge pool is big enough to cover all that... not even here in Colorado! ;)

As far as volunteering for the other stuff goes, the judge roster will be accommodated first (so if you volunteer as a qualified judge, you should expect to be asked to judge), but if you also put down a lot of other stuff, you'll be asked to help out where you want to most. In other words, we'll work ya, but we won't over work ya!

John E.
01-11-2012, 03:14 AM
Is there anything for someone whom is new to all this to do (volunteer) at the Mazer Cup? What if I just wanted to show up what would or should I expect?

AToE
01-11-2012, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't recommend just showing up! Go register at the mazer cup website is what I'd say to do.

It's a blast. It's not difficult, they work you, but not THAT hard.

Just don't be like me and spill mead all over the ONLY judge from your own freaking country... and a Frenchman to make it even worse. :eek:

Smarrikĺka
01-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Does this mean you didn't get to try any ice cider or maple liquor?

AToE
01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Does this mean you didn't get to try any ice cider or maple liquor?

Ha, no I think he just makes mead! Very nice guy though so it was all good. Someone else spilled the next day so I felt a little better, theirs didn't land on a judge though. :p

kc0dhb
01-12-2012, 03:08 AM
@John E. Stewarding may be the job for you (and I recommend staying the night).

Stewarding is perfect for someone that can follow directions and is interested in mead, but perhaps doesn't feel that they are qualified to judge (If you're on the fence on your abilities to judge, put your experience and caveats/hesitations about judging down on the online form.). As a steward you are asked to do things such as: Bring mead to judges, fill out simple paperwork, double-check judges' scores, pour mead, and other odds and ends. Good stewards are the glue that make a competition run smoothly.

Stewarding also gives you insight into mead making, and mead judging. You should have an opportunity to sit with the judges as they are judging the meads. As a table steward you'll be able to drink the meads, listen to the discussions over the meads, and read the judging comments. This is usually quite interesting, not to mention educational.

I can attribute my mead making addiction, err hobby, almost entirely to the first MCI I attended as a steward, having brewed beer for only 6 months. I learned _a lot_ from stewarding with experienced judges and talking/drinking with judges/stewards/professionals at the awards ceremony. I went in thinking mead was interesting, left with a list of meads to make. And I made 4 batches within the next month.

So, volunteer (http://www.mazercup.com/volunteer/) if it sounds like fun helping judge 100s of amazing meads.

Kyle
MCI Volunteer Coordinator

Smarrikĺka
01-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Ha, no I think he just makes mead! Very nice guy though so it was all good. Someone else spilled the next day so I felt a little better, theirs didn't land on a judge though. :p

Oh, I thought it might have been someone from Intermiel. They weren't present?

AToE
01-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Oh, I thought it might have been someone from Intermiel. They weren't present?

Oh, yes it was Andre from Intermiel - I didn't know they made things other than mead.

cam07ds
01-12-2012, 10:35 PM
i will be there also. Hope to see all of you out there this time.

Steve

jkane
01-13-2012, 03:40 PM
We signed up. Now to find a good flight.

Looks like no special rates at the hotel.

Mars Colonist
01-13-2012, 03:43 PM
I booked mine already too and they didntknow anything about discounted rate, but I find on the Mazer Cup site (http://www.mazercup.com/BOH_rooms.htm), they they should have them. Ill have to contest mine.

wayneb
01-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Yes, there are special rates at the hotel for judges and volunteers! The problem is that you need to know that 1) you must make your reservation with an actual human, rather than using the Outlook's automated reservation thing, since they don't program special rates into the automated system, and 2) you MUST say that you are with the Mazer Cup and are requesting the special rate booking at the time that you make your reservation. As our Favorite Martian colonist has noted, the rates that you are entitled to as a volunteer are listed on the Mazer Cup website, and I think they are around $10/night less than the Outlook's standard rates for this time of the year.

If you have made a reservation at their standard rates, then by all means call them, talk to a real person at the reservation desk, and see if your reservation can be changed. If they aren't responsive to your request, then I'd recommend just cancelling your existing reservation, then calling back a day later and booking under the Mazer Cup rate. It is still early enough relative to the event that you should be able to do that without risking missing out on a room.

Mars Colonist
01-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Alas, I did talk to a real female person, and mention Mazer Cup on March 1-3, and she did know anything about it... now, this could be before it was posted on the MCI website, as I had not seen that before I called them.

wayneb
01-14-2012, 12:45 PM
The Mazer Cup prices for this year were finalized literally a day before that information got posted on the Mazer Cup website. I'd suggest that you try again. If the person you get this time is similarly uninformed, ask her to verify the rates with Sue, who is the lady on the Outlook staff responsible for coordinating our event.

ken_schramm
01-14-2012, 07:57 PM
FWIW, I just finalized my plans, and save for the fact that I will have to be on a bus or in a cab to the airport at ~6:00 on Sunday, I am very fired up. 'Til we Mead Again, as they say, and it's not going to be all that long now.

wayneb
01-16-2012, 05:24 PM
"The Compleat Sybarite," eh? The title of your next book?? If so, that's definitely one that I'll look forward to picking up.... ;)

ken_schramm
01-17-2012, 12:38 AM
I just like playing with words. Hedonist was too easy.

cam07ds
01-17-2012, 12:28 PM
I will be there...hope to see everyone.

Steve

TheAlchemist
02-11-2012, 09:57 PM
We'll miss you, SandWorm.

Penguinetti
02-13-2012, 10:28 AM
It doesn't look like I'll bel able to do anything that isn't within 60 miles of the homeport...

Maybe 2013? :shrug:

AToE
02-13-2012, 07:08 PM
I cannot explain how bummed out I am to not be able to attend this year, but hey - time flew between the last one and this one, so it'll fly between this and the next as well! ;D

wayneb
02-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Hey, everyone! Our entry count on the home side of the Mazer Cup just logged its 300th registered entry as of earlier this morning, which blows by last year's record setting number of entries by more than 25, so this year we will again be the LARGEST HOME MEADMAKING COMPETITION ON THE PLANET! :) We are doing well on the commercial side of the event also. I don't have the latest entry count for commercial entries - but I know it is on par with last year.

Thanks to everyone who has entered thus far, and if there are any slackers out there who haven't registered any entries yet, you have just a few days left to do so. Get on it - or get left out!! ;)

For those of you planning to volunteer at the event, you will certainly be able to claim that you have seen more mead concentrated in one place than has ever been before. (And we will certainly keep everyone busy again this time!) ;D

Guinlilly
02-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Hey, everyone! Our entry count on the home side of the Mazer Cup just logged its 300th registered entry as of earlier this morning, which blows by last year's record setting number of entries by more than 25, so this year we will again be the LARGEST HOME MEADMAKING COMPETITION ON THE PLANET! :) We are doing well on the commercial side of the event also. I don't have the latest entry count for commercial entries - but I know it is on par with last year.

Thanks to everyone who has entered thus far, and if there are any slackers out there who haven't registered any entries yet, you have just a few days left to do so. Get on it - or get left out!! ;)

For those of you planning to volunteer at the event, you will certainly be able to claim that you have seen more mead concentrated in one place than has ever been before. (And we will certainly keep everyone busy again this time!) ;D

Awesome! Jon and I certainly hope to one day get out there to volunteer and to have meads in the commercial competition!

wayneb
02-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Awesome! Jon and I certainly hope to one day get out there to volunteer and to have meads in the commercial competition!

We'd love to see you guys out here some day! Maybe next year...? ;D

John E.
02-14-2012, 02:31 PM
I will be there as a volunteer. Really looking forward to learning and meeting everyone.

John E.

Guinlilly
02-14-2012, 02:36 PM
We'd love to see you guys out here some day! Maybe next year...? ;D

Well next year we won't be planning a wedding so it could be do-able! ;D

ken_schramm
02-28-2012, 09:44 PM
No Mazer Cup for me this year. Fever at ~102, and I don't want to bring this to mead judges or fellow airline passengers. Plus, I feel like a five car pile up.

It's been a crappy few weeks. Time to regain the bearings and re-attack life with new found fervor. But not tomorrow.

I am very sorry I cannot make it, but delivering up this steaming mess to a hotel full of my favorite mead lovers, makers and judges would be way, way wrong. Pete or Vicki can fill you in on other details that have made this a challenging few weeks. I wish you all a spectacular Mazer Cup.

Ken

TheAlchemist
02-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Sure will miss you, Idea Man! Get well soon.

jkane
02-28-2012, 10:42 PM
So sorry to hear that Ken. :( Thanks for not sharing. :)

What is this dress code thing for judging? Can I wear a got mead T-shirt? The description is kind of vague. Not sure I understand it's purpose. Dark pants? Huh?? Do people spill a lot!? ;)

wayneb
02-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Ken, sorry to hear that, in addition to everything else that's slammed you recently, you've now come down with a flu-like bug. Get better soon, man - we'll see you next year.

And as for the judging "dress code," the idea is only to have folks not be competing for attention with the meads. Simple shirt, dark pants or jeans, keeps you relatively inconspicuous. If you think this is bad, you should have been around during the International Mead Festival days when they insisted that judges be completely "logo free." Not sure what that was about, but it was a firm rule. Further, stewards had to be dressed in black (only black) dress slacks and white, collared, button down shirts. We're nowhere near that anal, err, ahh, I mean directive, at the MCI.

akueck
02-29-2012, 12:49 AM
I don't remember there being a dress code last year, other than "no perfume". Kyle spilled on me, so watch out for that guy.

Get well soon Ken. What a bummer that you happen to be sick this week.

jkane
02-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Hmm. I guess I will try to comply. Not good at following rules. :p

I always judge in my kilt and some mead themed T-shirt. Should I not do that then?

Oops! Better to ask forgiveness than permission. :cool:

jkane
02-29-2012, 11:57 AM
What's walking distance from the hotel? We'll arrive early Thursday/tomorrow and would like to explore a little in the early afternoon. Looks like Redstone is a couple miles away. Might be walkable or is there taxi service? Any recommendations on what to do for a couple hours other than tour them?

mmclean
02-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Hmm. I guess I will try to comply. Not good at following rules. :p

I always judge in my kilt and some mead themed T-shirt. Should I not do that then?

Oops! Better to ask forgiveness than permission. :cool:

I am in full support of the kilt.

As long as it is dark, should be as good as "pants". Just stay with the "simple shirt".

If I ever make it out there, I plan on being kilted.

Up with the kilt! :eek:

TheAlchemist
02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Up with the kilt! :eek:

MmmmHmmm...;)

skunkboy
02-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Kilts and power tools....

http://test.thedevilspanties.com/archives/3888

Chevette Girl
02-29-2012, 11:54 PM

:laughing4:

I love that strip, she's always blowing men in kilts :)

mmclean
03-01-2012, 07:32 AM

Kilt blowing.

Love it.

Mars Colonist
03-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Still trying to figure out who Ive met here that I know from the forums.... LOL... 2 Ive IDed so far

jkane
03-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Were you at the banquet last night?

mmclean
03-04-2012, 10:32 AM
How about some updates for those of us that couldn't make it. Anybody taste any good mead out there?

Mars Colonist
03-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Were you at the banquet last night?

LOL. I was sitting right next to you!

mmclean
03-04-2012, 11:24 AM
... so jkane, did you end up going kilted?

jkane
03-04-2012, 11:27 AM
So you are the one who took home 4 cups! Congratulations. :)

There were nothing but good meads. :p

I held off on the kilt during the judging. But did wear it at the award banquet. Next year I won't ask first. Just beg forgiveness after. ;D

wildoates
03-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Someday, I'm gonna go. I will I will I will.

I can't wait to see the winners!!!

wildoates
03-04-2012, 12:24 PM
And Jeff? In my circle, kilts are everyday wear, so I of course say go for it, whoooo hooo!

jherbert
03-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Hey there,

Does anyone have the home meadmaker comp results or know when they will be posted?

Thanks

Chevette Girl
03-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Still trying to figure out who Ive met here that I know from the forums.... LOL... 2 Ive IDed so far

I promise if I ever make it, I will wear a Chateau Chevette label with my forum ID!

TAKeyser
03-05-2012, 02:57 AM
JHerbert the result are supposed to be posted by Tuesday evening.

jkane
03-05-2012, 09:37 AM
And Jeff? In my circle, kilts are everyday wear, so I of course say go for it, whoooo hooo!

They asked for "dark" colored pants. Don't have a dark kilt. I should get a black one someday for this kind of thing. Wore a saffron Irish kilt.

TheAlchemist
03-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Kudos to the Mazer's Cup Staff. Y'all make it run like a well oiled machine. Keep up the good work!

wayneb
03-06-2012, 07:43 PM
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO MADE THIS YEAR'S COMPETITION THE LARGEST (AND HIGHEST QUALITY) THAT WE'VE EVER HAD!!! It has been an honor and a pleasure to meet many of you, and to judge many of your superlative meads. I can honestly say that I have never had so many exemplary meads before - this year's competition ROCKED!

Among others, I judged a flight of traditional dry meads (historically the most difficult mead to get "right") and there wasn't a bad one in the bunch. That was true of the other flights in the Trad Dry category, according to accounts from the judges of those other flights. In every other event that I've ever judged, there were one or more meads that were simply not drinkable. Not this year! The same was true across the board, in all categories. You folks have really outdone yourselves this time out!! ;D

TAKeyser
03-06-2012, 07:50 PM
are the results still expected to be posted tonight?

wayneb
03-06-2012, 07:53 PM
I can't speak for the keeper of the official results, but I think he's planning on posting them sometime tonight.

jherbert
03-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Does anyone know where the results will be posted? MCI site? Facebook?

Thanks

Guinlilly
03-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Does anyone know where the results will be posted? MCI site? Facebook?

Thanks

It would be the MCI site. They aren't up yet. (also impatiently waiting)

TAKeyser
03-06-2012, 10:16 PM
So I'm not the only person checking every half hour? And I don't even have anything entered lol

Guinlilly
03-06-2012, 10:32 PM
So I'm not the only person checking every half hour? And I don't even have anything entered lol

Nope. J is bummed that they aren't up and he has to go to work.

TAKeyser
03-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Nope. J is bummed that they aren't up and he has to go to work.

I'd say poor J, but he works at DFH so I'm jealous so he can wait until he gets home from work :)

I'm sure you'll text him as soon as the results are in.

TAKeyser
03-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Results are up on the website

BBBF
03-06-2012, 11:48 PM
My cherry cyser won a silver medal!

TAKeyser
03-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Congratulations!

wildoates
03-06-2012, 11:51 PM
A lot o' happy folks dancing tonight. :)

tuumi
03-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Gold in Dry Berry with my Blueberry Blitz. You are correct. I did do a bit of dancing around the house. Congrats to all the winners.

AToE
03-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Gold in Dry Berry with my Blueberry Blitz. You are correct. I did do a bit of dancing around the house. Congrats to all the winners.

Congrats! I'd be very interested in seeing the recipe, is that up on this site?

kc0dhb
03-07-2012, 01:43 AM
Congrats all!

I'd like to second Wayne's note on the quality of the meads we judged this year. I look forward to seeing what people will enter next year... I know I have some new ideas.

My Dwójniak won a gold.
Full brew log (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16268), in the patrons forums.

I also had a semi-sweet win a silver. Made it before I knew much about nutrients and stirring and what not. It used a home apiarist's local, never heated, alfalfa honey, D47, and no stirring... Good ingredients for the win.

Kyle

CSTodd
03-07-2012, 01:44 AM
As you can tell I'm new to the site so if I need to introduce myself elsewhere, please feel free to kick me in the butt and point me in the right direction.
Let me start by saying congratulations to the winners in the MCI this year.

I entered the MCI this year for the first time just to see how my cyser would score. Really more for the feedback than anything else. You could say I'm more than a little tickled to have won bronze in the cyser category.

mmclean
03-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Well congratulations to you CSTodd, and welcome to GOTMEAD?

TAKeyser
03-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Congratulations to all the winners!

mkaz
03-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Congratulations to the winners and all awarded :)

BBBF
03-07-2012, 02:24 PM
I also want to contratulate everyone and thank the judges and everyone involved in the Mazer Cup.

AToE
03-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Wayne, I think I saw in the list your name come up beside a gold! Knowing you're crazy mind that's another one I wouldn't mind being pointed to the brewlog... ;)

Next year I'll make it down, and all my meads will be older and wiser!

Medsen Fey
03-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Big Congratulations to all the winners!
I struck out this year, but I've got some good things aging for next time.

So who else deserves some kudos? -

Yes, I see Wayneb took a gold in the open, semi-sweet.
jkane took a silver in dry traditional.
Yabodie took a gold in semi-sweet berry.
Male, didn't you get one?

Who else am I missing?
All in all, a very strong showing from the GotMead community! :headbang:

male
03-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Yes, I got a silver for Trójniak Strawbana.

Jas53
03-07-2012, 06:10 PM

Gratuluje!

mkaz
03-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Big Congratulations to all the winners!
I struck out this year, but I've got some good things aging for next time.

So who else deserves some kudos? -

Yes, I see Wayneb took a gold in the open, semi-sweet.
jkane took a silver in dry traditional.
Yabodie took a gold in semi-sweet berry.

Who else am I missing?
All in all, a very strong showing from the GotMead community! :headbang:

I even won a bronze medal in the open sweet category.

Greetings
Mike

veritas
03-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Out of curiosity anyone know how many amateur mead entries there were? Hundreds? Thousands?

djslort
03-07-2012, 10:24 PM
I was very fortunate to be able to attend, and even better, stewarded both days. Just sitting at the table listening to experts analyze the entries was invaluable. It was a thrill to get to talk to the great mentors of this forum; Vicky, Pete, Wayne, and Dani as well as award winning commercial producers; Andre Abi raad, Greg Bowfish, Mike Kiker, and Ron Lunder. It is totally worth taking the time and money to go - at least if you can take the time off.

I was surprised that there were many GotMeaders there that I didn't meet, simply because I didn't realize who they were. Maybe next year they could allow a "comments" section on the badge which would allow people to identify themselves.

It was a great event, put on by an awesome staff.

skunkboy
03-07-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm really wanting to go next year, and if I do, and nobody objects I will post my screen name and icon on the a paper attached to the badge...

TAKeyser
03-07-2012, 11:28 PM
I'm really wanting to go next year, and if I do, and nobody objects I will post my screen name and icon on the a paper attached to the badge...

If you drive I might hitch a ride with you ;D

John E.
03-08-2012, 02:56 AM
Greetings all, I am a new-bee here only been atempting to make mead since last year have not bottled anything yet much less drank any of my own. I did stewart both days at the Mazer Cup this year what a wonderful way to learn from the true legends of mead making. Everyone was so helpful with advice and knowledge. I do plan now on stewarting next year. Would like to say thanks to all for the fun and learning experience this was. :):D

wayneb
03-09-2012, 12:06 AM
Wayne, I think I saw in the list your name come up beside a gold! Knowing you're crazy mind that's another one I wouldn't mind being pointed to the brewlog... ;)

Next year I'll make it down, and all my meads will be older and wiser!

Good to hear! I look forward to tipping back a glass or two (or more...) with you again. As for The Kitchen Sink, well... that's one I won't post because it would take pages to explain it -- but I'd be happy to discuss it with anyone who would be interested at the MCI next year. And this time I made enough of it, that there is likely to be some left over for sampling next year. ;D

wayneb
03-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Out of curiosity anyone know how many amateur mead entries there were? Hundreds? Thousands?

Just slightly under 300 meads showed up... we had over 325 meads entered via the online entry forms this time, but every year for one reason or another some don't make it (usually because the meadmaker forgets to ship them, or ships them too late for the competition).

wayneb
03-09-2012, 12:10 AM
I sincerely hope that you guys can do it. We'd love to have the Motown Meadmakers show up in force next time - there are a lot of you guys in the Detroit area.

wayneb
03-09-2012, 12:11 AM

Yes - that one was really special!

male
03-09-2012, 02:46 AM
Thanks Wayne, still looking for gold, maybe next time?

veritas
03-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Just slightly under 300 meads showed up... we had over 325 meads entered via the online entry forms this time, but every year for one reason or another some don't make it (usually because the meadmaker forgets to ship them, or ships them too late for the competition).

Cool thanks for the reply!

wayneb
03-09-2012, 04:12 PM
I should have also mentioned that this was the number of home entries. There were also over 200 commercial meads entered in the commercial competition.

AToE
03-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I should have also mentioned that this was the number of home entries. There were also over 200 commercial meads entered in the commercial competition.

So pretty similar size to last year then if I remember right?

Good to hear! I look forward to tipping back a glass or two (or more...) with you again. As for The Kitchen Sink, well... that's one I won't post because it would take pages to explain it -- but I'd be happy to discuss it with anyone who would be interested at the MCI next year. And this time I made enough of it, that there is likely to be some left over for sampling next year. ;D

Ah, it's one of THOSE meads!