PDA

View Full Version : adding more

calicojack
01-09-2012, 11:58 PM
I think i might have messed up tonight. I started a 3 gallon batch of peppermint today. Several hours (like 5 hours after pitching the yeast and seeing airlock activity) i realized that i might not have made enough. So i sanatized my secondary, funnel, and spoon. I poured the original must into the secondary and sure enough i didn't make enough. it was just enough to fill the secondary. So in my original bucket I mixed a little more honey and about a quarter gallon of water up, airated for a few minutes and then poured the original must back into it.

I JUST DID THIS, so there is no airlock activity.

how badly did i mess up?

Soyala_Amaya
01-10-2012, 12:14 AM
I don't think there's any issues, however you may have shocked the yeast a bit with adding more sugar so soon. Give it a REALLY GOOD aeration and check it again in the morning. I know I read your original post, but I forgot what yeast you used...however, if it's completely shocked into submission, try repitching in a day or too with an aggressive yeast like KIV1116 or EC1118. In the future, even knowing you don't have enough must, I'd wait a day or two before adding more volume, rather like step feeding.

calicojack
01-10-2012, 12:23 AM
this is a new batch. different yeast. pitched with 1118. solid advice above. i probably should have waited to add more. lesson learned.

Soyala_Amaya
01-10-2012, 12:30 AM
It could still perk back up, yeast is a hardy thing and you used a stronger line at that. It could have diluted any groups that were multiplying already and they need to regroup and figure out the sudden environment invasion. Once they figure out the invasion is edible, they could very well do just that!

It's stupidly hard to stop yeast once it decides it wants to go. It's much easier to coach it into moving along.

Chevette Girl
01-10-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm wondering if with all the pouring back and forth you hadn't just knocked out most of the CO2 out of solution and it's taking its time to replenish to the point where it's making the airlock bubble again?

Has it perked up yet??

Honestly I see less of a problem with adding sugar at this point than what I once did and added an extra 50% of the original amount of sugar a week after it'd gone below 1.000 and I'd racked it off the lees... that one took years to finish. And all you did was add more of approximately the same strenght of must? Shouldn't have interrupted your fermentation, especially if it was only getting through its lag phase, I'd be surprised if it's not going full-tilt-boogie next time you check it.

triarchy
01-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Definately agree with CG, adding more of the same SG must shoulnt cause problems. Id expect it will continue to ferment as usual. I find it nearly impossible to screw up an active fermentation. I have unsuccesfully tried to stop an active fermentation three times with absolutley no luck. I'll never try again.

calicojack
01-10-2012, 06:32 PM
so the good news is is that it is in fact bubbling again.