PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Prayers into Yarn

TheAlchemist
01-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Did you see The Right Stuff?
With Ed Harris as John Glenn?

TheAlchemist
01-13-2012, 11:44 PM
There is a scene during which Glenn is circumnavigating the globe in space.

A group of Australian Aboriginals, on the ground, are aware of his flight. They engage in ceremony, intending to send a great cloud of prayers and blessings to intercept his course.

Glenn, unaware of their efforts, comes to the moment of interception and is suffused with an indescribable sense of awe and wonder.

Remember that scene?

TheAlchemist
01-13-2012, 11:51 PM
I am writing to ask for your help.

TheAlchemist
01-14-2012, 12:01 AM
For these past 4 weeks I have been spinning prayers for someone well known to this forum. Prayers for Freedom From Cancer!

The yarn, now spun, is ready for knitting. On Saturday January 14th at about 3pm central standard time a friend will start the knitting project. Her task: to knit together the prayers of some five hundred voices. Prayers for Freedom! Freedom From Cancer!

Will you please add your voice? So that we may intercept Jenn’s path with a great cloud of prayers?

TheAlchemist
01-14-2012, 12:15 AM
I am aware that a number of you are not inclined toward prayer.
Would you be willing to offer a blessing?
I submit this one for your consideration:

Jenn,
May you be happy.
May you be safe and protected from all danger and harm.
May you be healthy in body and in mind.
May you live a life of ease and wellbeing.
Jenn,
May you be free from all suffering.

Chevette Girl
01-14-2012, 03:12 AM
Prayers and blessings not so much, but I can certainly contribute some positive thoughts and wishes and maybe some hope...

kudapucat
01-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Realised that just be reading it, I was doing as you asked. Been thinking of Jenn all day. Let us hope she recovers fully.

I like the following Scottish blessing.

May the best you've e'er seen,
Be the worst you'll e'er see.
May the moose ne'er leave yer girnal,
Wi' a tear drap in its e'e.
May yer lum keep blithely reekin',
'til yer auld enough ter dee,
And may you ever be as happy,
As I wish yer now ter be.

Chevette Girl
01-14-2012, 11:29 AM
I even have something I'm supposed to do at 2 pm (which is 3 pm Central) so I'll remember.

Here's an Irish prayer, for those so inclined... I keep this in my purse in memory of a friend who passed away, in case you were wondering where the silly agnostic found a prayer :)

May God grant you always...
A sunbeam to warm you,
A moonbeam to charm you,
A sheltering angel
So nothing can harm you,
Laughter to cheer you,
Faithful friends near you,
And whenever you pray,
Heaven to hear you.

Dan McFeeley
01-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Beannachtaí na Bealtaine Dé Shine ar tú féadfaidh, Dia an tAthair, an Mac Dé, Dia an Spioraid Naoimh a thabhairt ar tú cneasaithe. Bealtaine Íosa, Muire agus Iósaef aoibh gháire ar tú leis cneasaithe.

--

TheAlchemist
01-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Many thanks to all who have offered their thoughts and prayers. My yarn is now in a knitter friend's very capable hands, to be transformed by her as she sees fit...

This is the Spinning Song I used for this work:

Oh, Freedom! Freedom From Cancer!

Oh, Freedom! Freedom From Terror!

Oh, Freedom! Healthy Immunity!

Oh, Freedom! Just Know Thyself Now!

(with an occasional "Freedom From Scalpels!" thrown in for good measure)

TheAlchemist
02-24-2012, 12:35 PM
By the time my knitter figured out what to do with this yarn I had started to learn to crochet...so I'll just be making something myself...looking forward to getting to work this weekend!

wildoates
02-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Thanks, everyone, everyone here is awesome!

I've been feeling better and sincerely hope it's licked this time, and for good!

<3

TheAlchemist
02-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Welcome back Jenn! Good to hear from you.

wayneb
02-28-2012, 01:02 AM
Alright, Jenn!!

Glad to hear that you're back, and I hope & pray that you've beaten it this time, too!

Soyala_Amaya
02-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Welcome back! Glad you're feeling better!

TheAlchemist
02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Lessons Learned:

1.) Working with homespun is not like working with factory made yarn. You'd better have patience, flexibility and a forgiving pattern (I'm working on it...).

2.) It is very difficult to spin with a drop spindle when there are 2 (count 'em! Two!) kittens in the house.

TheAlchemist
03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
The project is nearly finished...looks kinda like a cork screw, apropos of a gift from one Mazer to another...will share it with some of my Sisterhood of Spinners here in Boulder before sending it on to Jenn.

Welcome back to life, Jenn. We missed you.

wildoates
03-18-2012, 03:55 PM
It's here, and it's awesome!

THANKS!

Chevette Girl
03-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Yay!! That's neat!

wildoates
03-18-2012, 07:04 PM
My cats, for some reason, love it too. They purr and rub against it, so cute!

TheAlchemist
03-18-2012, 08:17 PM
There's definitely cat love in the yarn!

Dan McFeeley
03-18-2012, 09:46 PM
There's definitely cat love in the yarn!

I'm sure that would be a short tale. >:D ;D

--

TheAlchemist
03-20-2012, 10:06 PM

--

Ha! That's great! But seriously. No cat tail fiber was used in the making of this gift...(although I'm told that there was a time when cattail fiber was used to make paper)

Chevette Girl
03-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Ha! That's great! But seriously. No cat tail fiber was used in the making of this gift...(although I'm told that there was a time when cattail fiber was used to make paper)

I'm pretty sure some bunny hairs, pony hairs and husband hairs make it into anything I crochet...

Dan McFeeley
03-21-2012, 10:42 AM
That was meant for Wildoates -- one of her cats had an accident and part of the tail had to be amputated. I've suggested that she change his name from Finn to Fin. ;D

--

veritas
03-21-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm pretty sure some bunny hairs, pony hairs and husband hairs make it into anything I crochet...
Is your husband wearing the permanent sweater!

Chevette Girl
03-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Is your husband wearing the permanent sweater!

Not THAT kind of hair, his ponytail's longer than mine and somehow his hairs get everywhere...

Finn, huh? Why not Bob? <runs away>

wildoates
03-21-2012, 05:06 PM

--

Chortle!

Hee hee hee

Dan McFeeley
03-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Not THAT kind of hair, his ponytail's longer than mine and somehow his hairs get everywhere...

Finn, huh? Why not Bob? <runs away>

Because Fin is Bob's uncle. ;D

--

TheAlchemist
04-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Lookie! I I'm gonna try to post a photo now.

Step 1
Spin a big amorphous glob of possum (tumor burden) down to just one cell at a time.

Step 2
(not pictured) Spin the red/orange/purple corriedale into healthy strengthened immunity.

TheAlchemist
04-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Step 3
The plying
Tumor Burden
Meet
Healthy Immunity

jayich
04-07-2012, 11:24 PM
By the time my knitter figured out what to do with this yarn I had started to learn to crochet...so I'll just be making something myself...looking forward to getting to work this weekend!

I will spin a prayer for Jenn- that that her tumor(s) vanish from all pathologists microscopes by Easter Sunday.
Steve

TheAlchemist
04-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Here's the spun yarn.

TheAlchemist
04-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Here's the finished product. Looks kinda like a cork screw...or is it a healthy double helix free from mutations?
And here's a close-up.

TheAlchemist
04-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Time to bid a dieu to the last remnant of tumor burden yarn. It is respectfully destroyed in the flames.

Penguinetti
04-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Time to bid a dieu to the last remnant of tumor burden yarn. It is respectfully destroyed in the flames.

So I am a little confused as to how this works. We prayed, and our prayers went into the yarn? And then you crochet something with the yarn. And then you burn the remnants left. Why not just save those remnant prayers and make like a... a.. ring or something?

Also, I'm glad you're getting better Wild!

TheAlchemist
04-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Excellent question. When I am spinning I go in to a kind of zone, spinning intention into the yarn. For this particular gray possum ply the intention was to distill a glob of tumor burden down to a more manageable one-cell-at-a-time, more like how a healthy immune system normally encounters a mutated cell. after the plying I had some of the gray possum yarn left, but Tumor burden just doesn't belong here, so I respectfully destroyed it by fire.

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Excellent question. When I am spinning I go in to a kind of zone, spinning intention into the yarn. For this particular gray possum ply the intention was to distill a glob of tumor burden down to a more manageable one-cell-at-a-time, more like how a healthy immune system normally encounters a mutated cell. after the plying I had some of the gray possum yarn left, but Tumor burden just doesn't belong here, so I respectfully destroyed it by fire.

Ah. Got it. So none of the actual good yarn gets burned. Just the tumor yarn. I think I'm getting this a little better...

TheAlchemist
04-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Looking to the Mods to delete spam.

wayneb
04-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Only Oskaar has the privileges required to pull a post from the Hive. He has been notified.

ChadK
04-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Only Oskaar has the privileges required to pull a post from the Hive. He has been notified.

And there are a bunch of em. I've been going through trying to report them all. If he's been notified directly, should I stop as my efforts will be redundant?

wayneb
04-18-2012, 11:18 AM
You can stop now. I've pulled all of them that I am allowed to delete (I can't pull stuff from all the categories, but I can work on most of them), and I've cited him with Spam infractions. As soon as Oskaar logs on and cleans house, that account will be forever banned.

ChadK
04-18-2012, 11:27 AM
You can stop now. I've pulled all of them that I am allowed to delete (I can't pull stuff from all the categories, but I can work on most of them), and I've cited him with Spam infractions. As soon as Oskaar logs on and cleans house, that account will be forever banned.

So are all three names the same account? Lakshmielectro, Vennarorganic, and I'm guessing the other name is the one you were able to pull cause I don't see it to copy/paste. There it is. Sudeengg.

Oskaar
04-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Done. Spammer is banned for all IP's associated with the accounts he/she/it made up for the day, and all posts have been removed.

Thanks to Wayne for the heads up and quick incursion on yet another spammer.

Cheers,

Oskaar

TheAlchemist
06-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Ah. Got it. So none of the actual good yarn gets burned. Just the tumor yarn. I think I'm getting this a little better...

It's an interesting question. Actually, all the yarn was good, it's just that the tumor burden doesn't belong here any more.

TheAlchemist
06-03-2012, 06:39 PM
The spinning continues, although no project before or since has carried the sense of urgency that I experienced while spinning Oh, Freedom! Freedom From Cancer!

My most ambitious project yet, For Unto Us A Child Is Born, spun for a friend who's been having a Lemony Snickett kind of year, is now complete. 2# of fiber spun on a drop spindle. 795796

wildoates
06-03-2012, 06:55 PM
My next round of testing is next week. Fingers crossed!

TheAlchemist
06-03-2012, 10:19 PM
My next round of testing is next week. Fingers crossed!

I'll be singing for you.

TheAlchemist
07-03-2012, 10:57 PM
My most ambitious project yet, For Unto Us A Child is born...

The Child is born! Yippee!

TheAlchemist
07-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Next up is
The Sisterhood of Spinners:

TheAlchemist
08-03-2012, 01:03 PM
A friend stayed here with her teenage son.
Here's my spinning haiku:

A disgruntled teen
Mesmerized by drop spindle
Voila a convert

Chevette Girl
08-03-2012, 01:14 PM
A disgruntled teen
Mesmerized by drop spindle
Voila a convert

A convert? Nice... I need to figure out drop-spindles. And darning socks...

Guinlilly
08-03-2012, 09:42 PM
I <3 my drop spindles!

TheAlchemist
08-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Making a drop spindle with good balance is a piece of cake.

Two CDs(shiny sides facing each other)
1ft dowl rod
Little brass hook
3/8" grommet
A little scrap of yarn

Voila!
(I even had the kid make his own)

TheAlchemist
08-03-2012, 11:41 PM
He made a necklace for his mom in a matter of minutes, even dyed it (with no sugar kool-aid)!

Penguinetti
08-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Wait, how do you make a necklace with this spool thing?

I'm curious now.

...my mom could use a home-made neclace...

TheAlchemist
08-08-2012, 10:33 AM
He made a necklace with the yarn that he made with the drop spindle.

See the photo in Sisterhood of Spinners below (which is really too big of a skein to be called a "necklace" but you can get the idea).

Penguinetti
08-08-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm sorry, but I looked at the photos, and it's like looking at Egyptian hieroglyphics.
It's not you; it's me. I know nothing about this stuff.

Chevette Girl
08-08-2012, 09:54 PM
... Ever make a ring pad out of a triangular bandage in first aid class? Looks like the same idea - you take a thing of the correct circumference, wrap the yarn around it for a while till it's as thick as you want it, and then you remove it from whatever you were wrapping around, and start wrapping the yarn around the donut to hold the strands together. Although there are probably some knots somewhere to keep it from shifting around. That'd be the hard part for me.

Edit: yeah, there are the knots :)

TheAlchemist
08-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Excellent explanation CG, but no, there are no knots...

Chevette Girl
08-08-2012, 10:23 PM
None? Huh. Is it all the same single piece of yarn? I've never had much luck with the change from ring to looping without knot if it's bigger than a ring pad :p

TheAlchemist
08-08-2012, 11:20 PM
I think there's just one knot at the end after it's all wrapped up.

Penguinetti
08-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Okay...

I think I get it. I'll have to make one and try it out. I'm more of a visual person.

Do I use just regular string to make the yarn, then?

TheAlchemist
08-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Yarn is made from roving or some other form of processed wool(or some other fiber, say silk or alpaca or hemp or flax. Cotton has short fibers and would be harder to spin on a drop spindle).

String has already been spun, which is what makes it string.

Here's some carded wool, for example:807

Penguinetti
08-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Yarn is made from roving or some other form of processed wool(or some other fiber, say silk or alpaca or hemp or flax. Cotton has short fibers and would be harder to spin on a drop spindle).

String has already been spun, which is what makes it string.

Here's some carded wool, for example:807

:sheepish: yea, that shows how little I actually know... Is roving something easy to come by where you are?

I feel like I've never seen a sign in a store that said, "Sale on Roving today!"

TheAlchemist
08-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Knitpicks.com actually has some pretty decent roving on sale for <$2/oz

Aw, heck, why don't I just come to Maine to give you a lesson?

Penguinetti
08-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Knitpicks.com actually has some pretty decent roving on sale for <$2/oz

Aw, heck, why don't I just come to Maine to give you a lesson?

Hey, if your lake is close by, then by all means, I'd be down for that. :p;D

TheAlchemist
08-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Ohhhhh Nooooo
My "to spin" list is getting as long as my "to brew" list...

Penguinetti
08-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Lol... don't worry, that's just to keep you busy.

What do they say, "Idle hands do the devil's work."

ken_schramm
09-08-2012, 09:56 AM
And speaking of status updates, Jenn, I don't mean to pry, but I'd love to hear that you are doing quite well. I am hoping that no news is good news...

TheAlchemist
10-01-2012, 10:24 AM
In the next several posts I aim to cultivate the capacity to bless and nurture by demonstrating that a simple gift of prayer/blessing can be spun for a loved one in the space of an hour, soup to nuts, including the construction of the drop spindle.

TheAlchemist
10-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Dyeing lesson:
Wool can be dyed as yarn or "dyed in the wool."

TheAlchemist
10-01-2012, 11:11 AM
I usually use 1/4c of white vinegar as a mordant to "bite" the dye into the wool, and about a cup of hot water (microwaved) then add 1 packet of kool-aid to dye 10-20gm of fiber. If I don't want to get "caught red handed" (as in the photo) I am respectful of the fact that kool-aid actually IS dye and I wear rubber gloves.

TheAlchemist
10-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Oopsie. Attachments didn't work out as planned. Trying again:

Chevette Girl
10-01-2012, 12:11 PM
While on vacation in Nova Scotia in September, I tripped over this pamphlet for the Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival (http://www.fibreartsfestival.com/#!home/mainPage)and it made me think of you...

TheAlchemist
10-01-2012, 12:57 PM
While on vacation in Nova Scotia in September, I tripped over this pamphlet for the Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival (http://www.fibreartsfestival.com/#!home/mainPage)and it made me think of you...

Eeeeek!
An excuse for a someday RoadTrip!
I missed the Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival this year :(
Looking forward to this one this weekend:
http://www.mohairconnection.com/jubilee.htm

TheAlchemist
10-02-2012, 05:23 PM
As my Grandfather would say:
You've got to have tools!

TheAlchemist
10-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Aaak. I did these clever brief videos to demonstrate making a drop spindle and drafting wool and spinning it and plying, but when I tried to post I find that just doesn't fly with tappatalk.

So. It looks like I'll have to offer a written description...

TheAlchemist
10-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Ingredients for a simple inexpensive well balanced drop spindle:
2 CD's or DVD's
1' of 3/8" diameter dowel rod
one 3/8" diameter rubber grommet
one 5/8" brass cup hook
a length of "starter" yarn, say 1 or 2'

Instructions:
put the 2 CDs together, shiny sides facing each other (it just works better that way, don't ask me...) and put the grommet in the center so they hold each other securely
Put the dowel into the center of the grommet
screw the cup hook into the end of the dowel
tie the starter yarn around the dowel on the underside of the CDs (opposite side from the cup hook)

Voila!

TheAlchemist
10-08-2012, 10:21 PM
For me, the first task when contemplating spinning, before constructing a drop spindle, before dying wool, before anything else, is to ask myself, and answer the question:

What is my intention?

TheAlchemist
10-09-2012, 09:56 AM
As my intention solidifies, a song presents itself to be sung in the spinning.

Then I am ready to get to work.

TheAlchemist
10-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Is there someone out there who can teach me in simple terms how to open a youtube account and post videos to it? I'd love to post the drafting and spinning videos.

TheAlchemist
10-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Why reinvent the wheel, right?

Here's a little video of pre-drafting wool to prepare it for spinning with a drop spindle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmiM_YNm4Nk

If the goal is to spin heavier yarn then the wool is drafted a bit thicker than she demonstrates in the video.

TheAlchemist
10-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Here's one on the Drop Spindle Construction
She uses hers as a bottom whorl spindle. I use it as a top whorl spindle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0elmg-X5QE

Chevette Girl
10-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Of all the drop spindles I've seen in use, I've only seen it as bottom whorl...

TheAlchemist
10-31-2012, 11:24 AM
Look!
It's Albert!
My new (previously loved) Saxony Wheel!

Chevette Girl
10-31-2012, 06:33 PM
SWEET! Nice find, I'm sure you'll be a great home for him!

TheAlchemist
10-31-2012, 06:38 PM
He might be from Alberta...or at least he is likely Canadian. Things were not working so well between us when I first got him and I had to ask Dad to do some repairs...but he couldn't get parts that fit (metric?) and had to make due with the parts he came with. My brother made a couple of extra bobbins for me (blessed are the wood turners) and

Away We Go!

TheAlchemist
11-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Here's a little gift of Deep Peace spun for a friend who has been Hit By The Mack Truck Of Death this year. I did make this soup-to-nuts in the space of an hour.

Chevette Girl
11-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Nice! sometimes I wish the forum had a "like" button :)

TheAlchemist
11-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Nice! sometimes I wish the forum had a "like" button :)

Actually, we do have the likes of a "like" button...it's the "add to reputation" button at the upper R corner of each post, it looks like the scales of justice.

TheAlchemist
11-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Here's a little gift of Deep Peace spun for a friend who has been Hit By The Mack Truck Of Death this year. I did make this soup-to-nuts in the space of an hour.

This is the piece that was dyed with the kool-aid raspberry dye in the 1 October 2012 post.

Midnight Sun
11-14-2012, 12:40 AM

That is very nice! Have you ever tried Celtic knots? I noticed an interesting book at B&N a few months ago and couldn't resist. The book is "75 Chinese, Celtic, and Ornamental Knots" by Laura Williams. I have have not attempted any patterns, need to make some time soon.

TheAlchemist
11-14-2012, 07:10 AM
That is very nice! Have you ever tried Celtic knots?

How interesting. No, I've never tried one. I have always thought of Celtic knots as designs, not as actual knots...

TheAlchemist
11-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Come And Get Your Love...

A little gift spun for friends in OH who put me up on a recent Road Trip. 840

nevinlee
12-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Spin your prayers in to yarn, and make hope and positive attitude your thread. Weave it into big glories, and never slash back in faith, or believing! That is the way to go..and I am sure you'll see how it all ends up in to beautiful crochets of dreams coming true! :)

TheAlchemist
12-21-2012, 08:29 PM
I am spinning and crocheting like mad. Santa's Workshop!

I don't know if I'll have enough blessings to go around by Christmas, but I'm giving it my best effort!

TheAlchemist
04-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Spinning Peace like a River (of poop!?) for CG and her beloved Fantacie at the moment...

smertz001
04-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Spinning Peace like a River (of poop!?) for CG and her beloved Fantacie at the moment...

That's not sounding good, you've mentioned a couple of times now about CG and her beloved Fantacie... Hoping things are okay and happy thoughts out there!

TheAlchemist
04-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Good News!
Fantacie moved.

TheAlchemist
04-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Please continue to hold CG and her dear Fantacie in your thoughts (and prayers if you're into that sort of thing). One hearty BM has not truly gotten her out of the woods...

TheAlchemist
04-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Oh, Dear.
Fantacie is no more.
Please offer kind words and thoughts to CG.

Chevette Girl
04-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks, Alchemist, for the kind thoughts.

So yeah, I haven't been on the forum at all in the last week or so, caring for sick pony has been time consuming, and the aftermath of no longer having a sick pony hasn't been so hot either... I hope to eventually catch up on everything I've missed around here.

At least the backhoe operator who buried her for me today says he's willing to barter for a case of stuff from my wine cellar. :)

Riverat
04-16-2013, 08:49 AM
Hang in there CG, remember that Fantacie had a great friend and some great times with you

TheAlchemist
04-16-2013, 01:58 PM
...caring for sick pony has been time consuming, and the aftermath of no longer having a sick pony hasn't been so hot either...

At least the backhoe operator who buried her for me...:)

Oops, here goes my morbid curiosity, but I did kinda wonder what the "disposition of remains" is for a horse...One day SWF will have a beautiful horse skeleton on its grounds...

And in the meantime, there is "work for the hands to do..."
Our animals are family.
Condolences and peace to you.

Chevette Girl
04-16-2013, 11:16 PM
Thanks, Riverat. That's pretty much what I've been holding onto :)

Oh, uh, don't worry about being morbid, you can't be worse than me... we usually bury our horses at the farm (because we can), especially the horses who've been there a long time (and Fantacie was there almost 22 years), so she's in good company and there are already plenty of skeletons scattered about the lower field to be dug up when some developper eventually buys the place and turns it into a housing subdivision. Some people have their horses hauled away and cremated so they can put them in an urn or bury the ashes somewhere special to them, others just call the meat truck and they go to feed fur farm animals or something equally horrid. There is no easy or pleasant way to move a dead horse. I didn't watch that part but I believe it involved the forklift attachment on the backhoe's front bucket. It was too wet for the lower field so she was buried at the corner of the cedar woods and the nice backhoe guy had dug up a huge rock while excavating and when he was all done, he set it like a headstone so at least we'll always know where she is. We're going to plant some perennials around it, make it all pretty.

Thank you, I am mostly peaceful.

Soyala_Amaya
04-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Hugs for a Chevette. It's hard to lose someone who's been that long a part of your life, but it sounds like she was a ripe old age and well loved. No pony could ask for more.

Chevette Girl
04-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Thanks, Soyala... Actually if it wasn't for her melanomas suddenly going haywire on her (we suspect due to an immuno-response to a vaccination), she'd have had many years left... the week before, we were gallumping around in the woods like a 4-year-old. It's just amazing how fast someone can decline within a week when cancer is involved. But she was well-loved and will be missed.

Penguinetti
04-19-2013, 09:29 AM
It's just amazing how fast someone can decline within a week when cancer is involved. But she was well-loved and will be missed.

I have no doubt she was well-loved. She was lucky to have you.

You're not kidding about the quickness with which cancer renders us still. A guy I work with has a son my age. His son found out he had cancer. So the father got on a plane (in Maine) and flew to his son (in California) to be with him. When he arrived, he went to the son's house, but the door was locked. He called the cops, and when they finally entered the house, his son had already died.

Cancer sucks.

TheAlchemist
04-19-2013, 10:01 AM
It depends on the cancer.
People have been known to live in a state of mutual tolerance (if not harmony) with cancer for years at a stretch.

Chevette Girl
04-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Cancer does suck. I know one guy who's been living in mutual tolerance with terminal prostate cancer for years and unless something changes, there's no reason it can't go on like this for years to come, but he has to be very careful about overstressing his body or things could change... and in Fantacie's case, the melanomas had been there, growing very slowly for almost a decade but then something changed, and that was that... I had a coworker die of cancer too, he went from fine to dead in a few months, and I had a high school friend whose fiancé died from a brain tumour they didn't find out about until after he went into a coma. From fine to brain-dead in hours. But as awful as it is, it's not the only nasty surprise that could end it all. My dad died of sudden cardiac death eleven years ago, his father had a stroke three years ago, and then there are external causes like auto accidents or industrial explosions, random snipers and bombs at the finish line.

I'm just thankful I got to let Fantacie end it in comfort, because no matter what the nurse tells you, "unplugging" (feed/water) is NOT a quiet and peaceful way for a human to go, the body fights it every step of the way, and as I understand, dying from cancer is highly painful. Sometimes we treat animals better than we treat humans... but that's my own gripe, and I'm not trying to spark a debate on euthanasia on Alchemist's prayer thread!

Every day we all roll the dice, we should just be thankful we're still here to roll them.

TheAlchemist
04-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Not to get all existential on you, but when I was spinning the yarn that initiated this thread there were countless occasions when The Question popped into my head uninvited:

If this were my last day on Earth, would I be (doing this very thing that I'm doing at this moment, WHATEVER it happened to be at that moment)...?

I was surprised and delighted to discover how often the answer was "Yes, yes, a thousand times yes."

Make Memories!

And peace to all.

TheAlchemist
05-13-2013, 10:08 PM

A tiny bit of mohair to honor Fantacie, may she rest in peace.

Chevette Girl
05-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Thank you so much, I will post a photo once I get done with whatever I end up doing with it :) Fantacie is resting in peace under a nice big natural headstone, near the woods and across from the outhouse ...and by the number of donated, gifted and transplanted plants, will soon be under a whole bottanical garden of her own. It's a fitting way to remember the Twerp. And if I ever find her spare nameplate (which should be in the basement somewhere) I'll affix it to the back of the stone (not everyone needs to know it's a grave marker).

TheAlchemist
06-19-2013, 10:31 AM
JoyJoyJoyJoy
Spun and woven to wish my Dad a
Happy Fathers Day!

Guinlilly
06-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Absolutely beautiful!

TheAlchemist
06-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Complete and Perfect Health

Spun in honour of one of my SweatMeisters901

And the Big Sister that got Lost In The Mail

Chevette Girl
07-03-2013, 06:18 AM
Very pretty :)

TheAlchemist
09-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Every Blessing Be Upon This House

For the tiny cabin near the SweatLodge

On the loom

In situ

Chevette Girl
09-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Sometimes I think this forum needs a "like" button :)

TheAlchemist
09-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Sometimes I think this forum needs a "like" button :)

You can always use the little "scales of justice" button on the top right of the screen.

Chevette Girl
09-24-2013, 10:48 PM
You can always use the little "scales of justice" button on the top right of the screen.

Tried, "need to spread more around" ... guess I'm stingy or something.

TheAlchemist
10-08-2013, 10:05 AM

For the tiny cabin near the SweatLodge

Warp is homespun hemp/flax. Weft is repurposed linen and cotton garments.

TheAlchemist
12-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Help!
I want to update this thread but can't figure out how to get the photos from my e-mail to this thread.

When I had tappatalk on the phone it was no problem, but we've had a falling out and now I just have the computer.
The images have no url.

mannye
12-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Help!
I want to update this thread but can't figure out how to get the photos from my e-mail to this thread.

When I had tappatalk on the phone it was no problem, but we've had a falling out and now I just have the computer.
The images have no url.

Tapatalk is great because it eliminates a step, but from the computer you have to upload your pictures to a hosting site like this: http://photobucket.com/

Then you have urls.

joemirando
12-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Tapatalk is great because it eliminates a step, but from the computer you have to upload your pictures to a hosting site like this: http://photobucket.com/

Then you have urls.

I've been a bit spoiled by having my own server, but that's gone now. I've never used photobucket, but always looking for things to do double-duty, I use a free wordpress account (http://www.wordpress.com) to hold my pics. That way I can mess around with a blog too.

mannye
12-12-2013, 07:22 PM
I've been a bit spoiled by having my own server, but that's gone now. I've never used photobucket, but always looking for things to do double-duty, I use a free wordpress account (http://www.wordpress.com) to hold my pics. That way I can mess around with a blog too.

I like photobucket because it's as simple as the name sounds. I barely have to stop eating and drinking to use it!

joemirando
12-12-2013, 07:28 PM
I like photobucket because it's as simple as the name sounds. I barely have to stop eating and drinking to use it!

Definitely a big plus. Just have to watch out for the cheetos in the keyboard. <grin>

Chevette Girl
12-12-2013, 08:32 PM
I just slap the photo up on Facebook and then right-click the photo, copy its location and paste it into the [img] function here...

mannye
12-12-2013, 11:34 PM
I just slap the photo up on Facebook and then right-click the photo, copy its location and paste it into the [img] function here...

That works too!

GntlKnigt1
12-13-2013, 01:58 AM
Or copy it to the photo album attached to your profile here on GotMead and use the URL from that.

mannye
12-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Or copy it to the photo album attached to your profile here on GotMead and use the URL from that.

See? Learn something every day! That sounds even better!

TheAlchemist
12-15-2013, 01:47 PM

How do I develop a photo album here?

TheAlchemist
12-15-2013, 01:56 PM
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/album.php?albumid=53&pictureid=217
OK, this doesn't seem to be working...

Here's one for the Dear (not deer...yet) Hunter:

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/album.php?albumid=53&pictureid=218
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/album.php?albumid=53&pictureid=218

TheAlchemist
12-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Hmmm...I was hopeful, but don't have the problem solved yet...

GntlKnigt1
12-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Did you find the photo album in your profile?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

Chevette Girl
12-15-2013, 03:14 PM
open album, right click picture, "copy url", paste into function?

[IMG]http://www.gotmead.com/forum/picture.php?pictureid=218&albumid=53&dl=1387130028&thumb=1

Yeah, like that. The actual image is too big and stretches the thread most uncomfortably so I went back and just used the thumbnail. To see how the img function looks, quote it and it'll show the codes on your copy.

joemirando
12-15-2013, 04:47 PM
open album, right click picture, "copy url", paste into function?

[IMG]http://www.gotmead.com/forum/picture.php?pictureid=218&albumid=53&dl=1387130028&thumb=1

Yeah, like that. The actual image is too big and stretches the thread most uncomfortably so I went back and just used the thumbnail. To see how the img function looks, quote it and it'll show the codes on your copy.

This may be more work than some folks want to put into it, but there is a great graphics app called GIMP that will allow you to easily re-size graphics. Its free and can be found here: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Once you install it and load a graphic, simply select Image/Scale Image and resize it, select "File/Export" to save it again, close GIMP and you're done.

Very handy app.

GntlKnigt1
12-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Yeah...nother handy app called Paint, which lets you resize an image too.....i use 30%. Works great.....

TheAlchemist
12-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Did you find the photo album in your profile?

Yes, thanks. That's how I'm doing this.
It seems to be working OK even though the file is big.
Here's the Hunter's Gift on the loom:
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/album.php?albumid=53&pictureid=217

Chevette Girl
12-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Yeah...nother handy app called Paint, which lets you resize an image too.....i use 30%. Works great.....

I don't use GIMP (although my mother in law does, after much kicking and screaming about going digtal and even more about having a computer in the house) but for basic stuff like resizing, I always just open it in MS Paint myself...my camera's resolution works well with 50%.

joemirando
12-16-2013, 12:12 AM
I don't use GIMP (although my mother in law does, after much kicking and screaming about going digtal and even more about having a computer in the house) but for basic stuff like resizing, I always just open it in MS Paint myself...my camera's resolution works well with 50%.

That's cool. I just try to avoid using Microsoft products wherever possible. I like options.

Chevette Girl
12-16-2013, 09:49 PM
That's cool. I just try to avoid using Microsoft products wherever possible. I like options.

I figure I've already paid for it (or someone has, I've never actually bought any of my computers, they've all been hand-me-downs)... plus, sometimes it's safer if I don't have too many options :rolleyes:

...and back when I was doing some web design, it actually did a better job resizing than some of the photo editing programs at the time...

mannye
12-16-2013, 10:01 PM

I used to think the same exact way. Lately though, I'm just getting exhausted looking through forums and other sources to fiddle with stuff. It was all I could do to set up a music server out of an old laptop (headless).

As we get older and more stuff demands our time, Micorsoft wins

Chevette Girl
12-16-2013, 10:15 PM
As we get older and more stuff demands our time, Micorsoft wins

...and Linux won't play a lot of games... so yeah, MS wins... as much as the thought pains me.

mannye
12-16-2013, 10:21 PM
...and Linux won't play a lot of games... so yeah, MS wins... as much as the thought pains me.

HAHA! Yes! Skyrim rules...on PC.

TheAlchemist
12-18-2013, 10:43 PM
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/picture.php?pictureid=218&albumid=53&dl=1387130028&thumb=1

I may have failed to mention that on this one the lyrics were very Native:

Bless You And Thank You For Nourishing Us.

TheAlchemist
12-20-2013, 08:55 PM
St. Ambrose Day gift for my mentor:
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/album.php?albumid=53&pictureid=220
As yet unfinished dish towel...

mannye
12-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Very nice! I loved the "sunset" scarf.

Chevette Girl
12-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Aah, so that's how you weave without a loom?

TheAlchemist
12-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Very nice! I loved the "sunset" scarf.

Delicious name!
It's actually ORANGE because he's a hunter...
I did EVERYTHING about this piece (short of raising the animals myself)...purchased fleece (wool, suri alpaca and mohair) washed the fleece, blended the fleece, dyed the blend (with KoolAid!!!), spun the wool and wove/crocheted it!

TheAlchemist
12-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Aah, so that's how you weave without a loom?

I am using a loom.
Archer
He's a 36" rigid heddle loom that was "gifted" to me by a total stranger who just knew I needed to get started with weaving!
How's THAT for a healthy energy signature?!

The St Ambrose piece photo was taken after I took the work off the loom.

TheAlchemist
01-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Here's some Joy for Mom!
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/album.php?albumid=53&pictureid=219

Chevette Girl
01-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Lovely! :)

TheAlchemist
01-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Mom got "Gratitude" for Christmas last year.

TheAlchemist
01-14-2014, 07:26 PM
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/album.php?albumid=53&pictureid=222