PDA

View Full Version : braggot yeast?

Ryguy16
01-19-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm in the process of getting everything together for my first braggot and was wondering if anyone had a good recomendation for which yeast to use? here's the rough list of the ingredients:

8-10 lbs whatever decent honey i can get this time of year
3lbs of briesweet sorghum LME
an undetermined amount of molasses (prob a cup or so)
hops

I'm most likely wanting to use an ale yeast.. any Thoughts?

jayich
01-19-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm in the process of getting everything together for my first braggot and was wondering if anyone had a good recomendation for which yeast to use? here's the rough list of the ingredients:

8-10 lbs whatever decent honey i can get this time of year
3lbs of briesweet sorghum LME
an undetermined amount of molasses (prob a cup or so)
hops

I'm most likely wanting to use an ale yeast.. any Thoughts?

I'd recommend Nottingham Ale yeast, which is a dry yeast with a neutral taste profile which works well in a braggot. It should easily ferment to 10% ABV if not higher. I would use two packs for a 5 or 6gal batch. BTW, it is also very good for IPA's. If you want a much more alcoholic braggot- say, 14%ABV- then I would use a wine yeast-like Lalvin D47

Ryguy16
01-27-2012, 05:39 PM
thank you! i shall use that one if i can find it around here... after i posted this question I've seen this yeast come up on so many other braggot recipes.

BBBF
01-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Are you trying to make this gluten free? I'm interested in how the sorghum comes out.

brian92fs
01-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Sorry if this is getting a bit off topic. How do you use dry ale yeast like this. Can you follow the same GoFerm re-hydration steps that you would with a dry wine yeast?

GoFerm at 1.25 times the amount of yeast in 110F water (I use 150 - 200 mL)
Add dry yeast at 104F and stir gently
Wait 15 - 20 minutes
Pitch in must/wort

For #4, I usually add must to the re-hydrated yeast a little at a time over 30 minutes or so until I've tripled or quadrupled the volume, then pitch it.

Can I use this same protocol with dry ale yeasts?

Old_Skool
01-28-2012, 12:29 AM
If you have any links you want to share on braggot info or recipes I'd appreciate it. PM me if you want.

I've not been brewing for awhile, so first up is this orange blossom mead then a batch of English Bitter Ale for my peeps. At that point I want to do a braggot. My taste in ales generally runs malty and not over hopped.

mccann51
01-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Sorry if this is getting a bit off topic. How do you use dry ale yeast like this. Can you follow the same GoFerm re-hydration steps that you would with a dry wine yeast?

GoFerm at 1.25 times the amount of yeast in 110F water (I use 150 - 200 mL)
Add dry yeast at 104F and stir gently
Wait 15 - 20 minutes
Pitch in must/wort

For #4, I usually add must to the re-hydrated yeast a little at a time over 30 minutes or so until I've tripled or quadrupled the volume, then pitch it.

Can I use this same protocol with dry ale yeasts?

Yes, though for a typical, mid-gravity beer, it's probably unnecessary. Beer has lots of nutrients, isn't that high in gravity (compared w mead n wine), and dry ale yeast packets are generally pretty big (ie have a higher cell count at pitching). I'd still rehydrate, but personally I'd save the Go-Ferm for more difficult fermentation conditions (a really high gravity beer or braggot for instance).