PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite terrible comfort food?

Chevette Girl
01-19-2012, 10:32 PM
I was sitting here gleefully waiting for the water to boil for the box of macaroni and cheese I just impulse-bought while grocery shopping for my roommate (it's not even Kraft Dinner, it's an Italipasta knockoff that I actually prefer to Kraft for some reason) and was wondering what other things folks around here hate to admit that they occasionally like...

I've also been known to eat bologna/baloney (the all beef stuff, I do have SOME standards) straight out of the package, and one other thing I do somewhat often especially when I'm unwell or feeling sorry for myself is mix cottage cheese into my eggs before I scramble them. And I have a not-so-secret weakness for hotdogs...

Mmmmm, cheap old mac & cheese.... <droool>
<munch><munch><munch>

Guinlilly
01-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Chicken fried steak, pancakes, Kraft Mac & Cheese, and Cherry Coke. I don't normally drink soda so anytime I get one it's cause I'm in a foul mood.

Chevette Girl
01-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Chicken fried steak, pancakes, Kraft Mac & Cheese, and Cherry Coke. I don't normally drink soda so anytime I get one it's cause I'm in a foul mood.

What precisely is chicken fried steak?

For me, foul mood means I go eat chocolate. Of course, good mood means I eat chocolate too so it's best to judge by expressions and behaviour than eating patterns...

Soyala_Amaya
01-19-2012, 11:13 PM
My comfort meal of choice is mashed potatoes and gravy from KFC, chicken nuggets from McDonalds, and a thing of seasoned fries with cheese from Chartreuse Caboose. My guy has been to known to go get this meal for me, in all it's pieces, when I am horribly depressed or have a setback in life.

When I'm sick, the only thing I'll eat is beef ramen noodles.

And as far as what I can tell, chicken fried steak is steak, battered like fried chicken...then fried. It's nummy!

Chevette Girl
01-19-2012, 11:21 PM
<looks guiltily at the case and a half of spicy chicken ramen>

Oskaar
01-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Big Cheez-Its, Bacon-Sharp Cheddar Easy Cheese, Deep Fried Pickles, Dalmatinski Prsut (double smoked beef from Dalmatia) Chocolate Malts with Whoppers (Malted Milk Balls) and Fresh popcorn popped in bacon grease with Milk-Duds and HOT clarified butter poured over the top so the duds melt into the whole mess!

Oh yeah . . . and as my buddy Jon would say "Ancient Viking" bacon wrapped hot dogs!

Chevette Girl
01-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Fresh popcorn popped in bacon grease with Milk-Duds and HOT clarified butter poured over the top so the duds melt into the whole mess!

Dear gods... I'm going to have to try that some time.

... must get some Whoppers too...

...remember that not so secret weakness for hotdogs? My favourite way is on a toasted bun with peanut butter and BBQ sauce, cheese optional...

JSquared
01-20-2012, 01:55 AM
Mac and Cheese with little smokies mixed in. Poutine with foie gras gravy. Pho with big slabs of pork belly. Mountain dew (a throwback from my "RPG gaming all the time" days). Frito pie (fritos and chili and cheese wiz).... Of course lots of home made charcuterie.

JohnS
01-20-2012, 02:36 AM
Chicken fried steak is the BOMB!! Anyone that has spent time in the south knows that. Its a kinda fillet from chicken that gets breaded, fried, and smothered in some really thick sauce. I dont know how to explain the sauce, but its really good also. Maybe like a thick beef sauce or something.

Anyway, my favorite is pizza. Pizza here is the best in the world (I know people from NYC would disagree, but I am partial on this point). I have been around a few places, and I can seriously can say that Chicago pizza is far and away the best pizza in the world.

I have friends that live in Napa. They always ask me to bring pizza when I come, because they know how good it is in this area. They like it even if its cold. Thats pretty good comfort food.....cold pizza, Id say.

BTW, Dominos and Pizza Hut is not pizza, Its pizza flavored bread. NYC is a close second though.

Chevette Girl
01-20-2012, 02:48 AM
I like making my own pizza with homemade sourdough or whole wheat dough with lots of oregano in the dough, but in our house, that always ends up with weird things going on it, like broccoli, multiple kinds of cheese, and random leftovers... and I can't stand cold pizza... fortunately having an infra-wave toaster oven is awesome for reheating stuff like that, it even does justice to cold onion rings (another failing of mine).

Favourite way to eat chili - spoon it into wide, shallow bowl, grate cheese on top, let it melt, and scoop it up with corn chips.

I barely drink soft drinks anymore either, but every now and then I just need a mouthful or two of Coke. Good old Coke. I can't drink a whole can myself now though, I think the caffeine would make my heart explode. I miss Dr. Pepper :(

Loadnabox
01-20-2012, 01:04 PM
I actually have the opposite problem. I have trouble convincing myself to eat anything I haven't carefully prepared. Anything else isn't really a guilty pleasure but more of a "My desire not to waste time cooking is greater than my desire for something good"

It's not that I'm a health nut, it's just that I have never been into snacking and have always been more of a "I'm hungry I should quench that" kind of person.

I do drink soda by the case load though...

HunnyBunz
01-20-2012, 01:46 PM
A brick of cream cheese, perforated with a fork then doused in soy sauce and let set for several hours (I rarely wait though). After that top it with a solid coating of toasted sesame seeds and spread on triscuits.

It's something my Mom used to do when we were kids and it's to die for!

wayneb
01-20-2012, 01:53 PM
I haven't met a comfort snack that I don't like. Unfortunately, they all like to "stick around" far longer than does the satisfaction derived from eating them!

caffeine211
01-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Pretty much anything from Taco Bell. Probably the grossest food I've ever eaten and I always get sick afterwards... but it tastes so good going down!

Loadnabox
01-20-2012, 05:12 PM
OK, I'll amend my last post... Grilled Spam and Cheese with a little salt and pepper on the Spam.

Good stuff

Chevette Girl
01-20-2012, 05:19 PM
OK, I'll amend my last post... Grilled Spam and Cheese with a little salt and pepper on the Spam.

Good stuff

LOL, now THAT'S the kind of terrible comfort food I'm looking for!!

My husband's family make a Bohnsalade (Bean Salad), take a can or two of white kidney beans, rinsed and drained, mix with a can of Holiday Luncheon Meat (it's even cheaper than true Spam) that's been cubed to just a bit bigger than the beans, and a chopped onion, toss with oil and vinegar. Sounds terrible but I have developed a taste for it... as long as the onion's a Vidalia, but they used to make it with plain old cooking onions...

JohnS
01-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Sliders are always good and i hear the help to reduce a hangover, although maybe its an urban legand

TheAlchemist
01-20-2012, 10:06 PM
A fav in the days of my youth was zweiback toast buttered, with a thick slice of velveeta, dipped in hot coffee.

Or there's grilled cheese dipped in tomato soup, or what in Girl Scouts we called "bags of gold" which is kinda like it, a chunk of velveeta wrapped in bisquick dough and boiled in tomato soup.

Mac n cheese is always a favorite.

I almost never eat beef, but will have a McD's double cheeseburger once a year or so.

PirateNigel
01-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Black Forest Torte. Recipe is Here. (http://duncanhines.com/recipes/cakes/dh/black-forest-torte) But I usually use 2 cans of cherry pie filling and a third layer to the cake.

This is usually what I get for my birthday and I don't like to share it when I get it. :)

BTW, this is the Americanized version. If you get a chance to try Schwarzwald Kirschtorte it has brandy in it and is far superior to this recipe.

Chevette Girl
01-21-2012, 11:49 AM
BTW, this is the Americanized version. If you get a chance to try Schwarzwald Kirschtorte it has brandy in it and is far superior to this recipe.

My mother in law is German and makes the traditional version now and then. My Canadianized version is chocolate cake from scratch, real whipped cream, and a jar of sour cherries in brine rather than a can of cherry pie filling... worth the effort dithering around with the corn starch in my opinion :)

JLindsey
01-21-2012, 03:34 PM
This thread is making me hungry.
And now that it is finally raining here in CA, it's a comfort food day.

Our local brewpub (http://dustbowlbrewing.com/) serves "50/50 sliders." 50% bacon, 50% ground Angus. I get them with Bleu cheese. Chase it down with their barrel-aged Scotch ale and nothing else matters.

TheAlchemist
01-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Did I mention Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk?

fatbloke
01-22-2012, 12:05 PM
It's taken me a couple of days to think of what I like when annoyed/irritated/pissed off......

It certainly doesn't help that most of the stuff mentioned is a total mystery to me (US/CA brands etc).

My fave' would be "moules mariniere". Shovelling the mussels down my throat only to schlurp the juice afterward.....

Now to me, that's a comfort!8)

Chevette Girl
01-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Ben & Jerry's is ice cream, I'm pretty sure a slider is a mini-hamburger, Velveeta is a processed cheese, bisquick is a boxed biscuit mix, surely if Monty Python knows what Spam is you do... Taco Bell uses the lowest grade beef they legally can and it's supposed to be Mexican fast food, it's done what to the taco what McDonalds has done to the hamburger (surely there are McD's in UK?), triscuits... how do I describe a triscuit... it's a cracker made from whole wheat but looks like it's been woven... Dr. Pepper is a Pepsi product that's a dark cola with flavouring somewhere between Cherry, Vanilla and Root Beer, poutine is french fries typically with mozzarella cheese curds and gravy poured over to melt the cheese and I guess one of the variations includes Foie Gras, Mountain Dew is a citrus soft drink which in US contains more caffeine than Coke but in Canada doesn't have any caffeine at all, Cheez Whiz is a processed cheese that comes in a jar, Kraft Dinner is a boxed macaroni and cheese mix where you prepare the pasta and then add the contents of the cheese packet along with 1/4 cup each of margarine and milk, Fritos are corn chips, Milk Duds are achocolate-covered peppermint patty the size of a gumdrop, cheeze-its I'm assuming are some form of cheezie/cheese stick which is a cornmeal-based extruded styrofoam doused in salty orange cheese powder, KFC is Kentucky Fried Chicken (North American franchise known for their mangled low-quality chicken pieces dredged in flour and a secred spice mix and deep fried) which gives me heartburn at the thought... did I miss anything?

Guinlilly
01-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Milk Duds in the states are actually a caramel candy coated in chocolate not peppermint patties. Chicken fried steak is a beef steak pounded out thin, coated like fried chicken and fried in the bottom of a skillet. Usually served with white pepper gravy, mashed potatoes and a mixed veggie. Though IHOP does a chicken fried steak breakfast with eggs, pancakes, and hashbrowns that is a hangover's dream food. lol

fatbloke
01-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Obviously, the big brands are multi-national, i.e. micky D, kfc, etc, but there is no taco bell, and even the instant cheese/macaroni, is something I haven't seen.

The multi-national brands are stuff that we rarely eat anyway. We're of the view that they're processed dog shite. Certainly not a comfort. Home made macaroni and cheese only takes a half hour, Shepherds/Cottage pie likewise. The moules takes less than 10 minutes...... and the taste ? Oh the taste......

The mention of the big brands reminds me that I used to see Wendy's at US military bases, yet the only one I ever found here was in the west end of London. Don't know if its still there or not. I just preferred them to MacD or BK.

I suppose its dependant on what we considered "comfort"........

Chevette Girl
01-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Milk Duds in the states are actually a caramel candy coated in chocolate not peppermint patties. Chicken fried steak is a beef steak pounded out thin, coated like fried chicken and fried in the bottom of a skillet. Usually served with white pepper gravy, mashed potatoes and a mixed veggie. Though IHOP does a chicken fried steak breakfast with eggs, pancakes, and hashbrowns that is a hangover's dream food. lol

My mistake, got the milk duds confused with Junior Mints (candies I haven't eaten in about two decades ;D).

And Fatbloke, a Wendy's buger is infintely better than a McD's or Burger Barf "burger". But sometimes even when it's crap, you just gotta have one... and I think the European way is to shop often for fresh foods, whereas the North American tendency is to shop once a week (so everything can go bad in the fridge)... and for some reason the bad for you but easy to make crap like boxed mac and cheese is so much cheaper than real food that there's a tendency towards it because it can save you time and having to think about ingredients...

mmclean
01-22-2012, 07:07 PM
...Mountain Dew is a citrus soft drink which in US contains more caffeine than Coke but in Canada doesn't have any caffeine at all...

This is very sad news. My hart goes out to my freinds across the border. :(

Chevette Girl
01-22-2012, 07:18 PM
This is very sad news. My hart goes out to my freinds across the border. :(

Maybe caffeinated citrus drinks are illegal here, but at least we can get codeine without a prescription. ;D

And personally, I'm good with the no caffeine thing, it does bad things to me.

Loadnabox
01-23-2012, 06:11 PM
The mention of the big brands reminds me that I used to see Wendy's at US military bases, yet the only one I ever found here was in the west end of London. Don't know if its still there or not. I just preferred them to MacD or BK.

A survey of top chefs found that if they end up having to do fast food they tend to insist on Wendy's. It's the premeir food of fast foods fer certain

Maybe caffeinated citrus drinks are illegal here, but at least we can get codeine without a prescription.

My current migraine headache hates you right now.

Chevette Girl
01-23-2012, 06:56 PM
A survey of top chefs found that if they end up having to do fast food they tend to insist on Wendy's. It's the premeir food of fast foods fer certain

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that. I like a good Harvey's burger now and then (it's actually worthy of the name even if they are frozen patties) and I agree that a lot of the stuff on Wendy's menu is pretty good.

My current migraine headache hates you right now.

Sorry to hear you get migraines, most of my friends who get those are way beyond being helped by codeine and need prescription meds anyway... Codeine doesn't even kill pain for me, it just makes me not care about it. Or anything else. Like red lights or oncoming traffic. Needless to say, no driving for me if I do have to take it for some reason... I think I'm just really lucky that most of my many aches and pains are chronic but low-grade and I tend to be shielded from acute concussive pain by brief trips into shock...

Back on topic, anyone else like Laughing Cow cheese product?

cabeasle
01-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Back on topic, anyone else like Laughing Cow cheese product?[/QUOTE]

Oh god... I used to.... Mom works for a large grocery chain, though, and they over ordered this product. They can't return dairy to sender, so I ended up with about 20 containers of it in the fridge :) I was drowning in cheese for quite some time.

skunkboy
01-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Black Forest Torte. Recipe is Here. (http://duncanhines.com/recipes/cakes/dh/black-forest-torte) But I usually use 2 cans of cherry pie filling and a third layer to the cake.

This is usually what I get for my birthday and I don't like to share it when I get it. :)

Kirschtorte is awesome! :-)

Soyala_Amaya
01-23-2012, 09:51 PM
I suppose its dependant on what we considered "comfort"........

Actually, this has more to do with how you were raised, which I guess is where most people get the idea of comfort food. Over time the body becomes accustomed to certain spices, sugars, flavor profiles, and fat content. It's especially an issue with low income families, or people with no time.

The cheapest, fastest food you can get in America is almost ALWAYS fatty and fried. It usually uses lower grade products and over spice them so you can't taste it. However, it's easier and cheaper, so it's often what's purchased. And things like this is one of the leading causes of obesity.

Many times, if you see someone who is extremely obese but having trouble making ends meet, they are not spending money on food like it seems. They're spending 48 cents on a packet of Ramen instead of $10 on good noodles, a healthy tomato sauce (made with real tomatoes, not processed paste), and a salad with a light dressing.

When I was born, two of my aunts had gotten a divorce and lived with my parents. There was 4 adults and 13 kids in one home while they tried to get their lives together. Food was filling, with lots of carbs and fillers, and could be made in a few easy steps.

Chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes were staples because they could be done while corralling an army of children and teenagers. So it's a comfort food to me because it's what I grew up on. That's not to say that's my favorite meal. I, now, love the taste of raw vegetables, sushi, and most Weight Watchers recipes are pretty good.

But when I think comfort, I think warm, filling, fattening, and usually some form of potatoe because we've got a lot of Irish in us. :)

Chevette Girl
01-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Mostly for me, comfort food falls into the category of "stuff my family used to make occasionally"... because it wouldn't be comfort food it we had it all the time.

That said, I will eat almost anything that's been deep-fried. Guilty indulgences aren't the same as mom's cottage cheese scrambled eggs, dad's lasagna, my grandmother's ground beef, tomato soup and Kraft Dinner casserole, my other grandmother's riccotta cheese blintzes or my grandfather's chicken soup. Those ones are the little slice of remembering being happy, way-back-when... Most of the guilty indulgences that tempt me now are things I didn't like or never had when I was growing up... either because I was a picky eater when I was little or because I had a stay at home mom who cooked wholesome, healthy meals that she liked, we just didn't do fast food, and going out to Mc Donalds was not only a 20-min drive to the next town but it was stuff we never got at home, hence the fond memories and the occasional indulgence despite the food being quite unremarkable to be kind. I even remember when Mc D's chicken nuggets debuted in Canada, would have been in the 80's, we NEVER had anything like that so they were a special treat then...oven fries were a special treat too because Mom was trying to keep Dad's weight reasonable... I never tasted meat loaf till I moved out of my parents' house because my mom hated it so much she'd never make it (this is what happens when you have the same thing all the time, it becomes not a comfort food but something you never want to see again)...

For my husband, anything involving potatoes is comfort food. Especially mashed, or his mother's German potato salad... where you save the fat from cooking the bacon and use it instead of vegetable oil and vinegar dressing... it's probably a good thing it's too damn much work to make more than a couple times a year or else we'd both be fat :)

Soyala_Amaya
01-23-2012, 10:48 PM
On the note of 'comfort food because it's my moms"

I have leftover shepard's pie in my fridge, and currently in my tummy. Cheese, potatoes, corn, ground beef, and a thousand cold winter nights in front of the fire memories...:color:

jlerner
01-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Nutella (http://www.nutellausa.com/), straight from the jar, and a glass of cold milk.

Loadnabox
01-24-2012, 06:54 PM
On the note of 'comfort food because it's my moms"

I have leftover shepard's pie in my fridge, and currently in my tummy. Cheese, potatoes, corn, ground beef, and a thousand cold winter nights in front of the fire memories...:color:

I love shephards pie. I was thinking of making it tonight until work got me tied up late waiting for Unix Admins to do stuff *grumble*. I could do it fine thanks and in half the time it's taken to explain it to them but I'm not allowed to do stuff like that now *grumble*

I digress.... I was also debating making a nice lasagna. Maybe I should do some slow roasted steak in the crock pot for some juicy fajitas. That's always a good way to go, let it sit all day long and then it's not so much work :)

TheAlchemist
01-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Nutella (http://www.nutellausa.com/), straight from the jar, and a glass of cold milk.

Mmmmmmm.....

Chevette Girl
01-24-2012, 10:21 PM

I wish... but then I'd need Benadryl.

:mad: Why hazelnuts? Why couldn't I develop an allergy to a nut I DON'T like, like cashews... oh well. Husband made spaghetti tonight, complete with grated cheddar cheese :)

Soyala_Amaya
01-24-2012, 10:29 PM
I haven't been feeling well the last couple of days, so tonight is a good chunky beef and vegetable soup with grilled cheese. Made for me by my loving man while I snuggle into warm blankets with a cup of hot tea.

Sometimes life just works.

AToE
01-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Most of my "terrible" comfort food actually isn't technically bad for you, just bad if you're watching specific nutrients. Sushi for example can pack loads of sodium, and Indian can pack a lot of carbs and fats (and sodium for that matter...), but as part of a good diet they're perfectly good for you. I've never been much for sweets (in my family we never had desert, sweet things were always a seperate snack not a way to end a meal... as a ukrainian desert always just sounded like a waste of space that could have been real food!).

I consider myself something of a hedonist, but lately since I've been single and getting into shape I've decided my hedonism will be directed towards trying to look like a ridiculous muscle-model and getting girls, rather than far too much alcohol and food.

I still very much enjoy my old vices on a regular basis, but once I acheive my goals for fitness I'm betting my new vices will be even more fun. ;)

TheAlchemist
01-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Egg Foo Young!

Penguinetti
01-26-2012, 11:52 AM
... Pizza here is the best in the world (I know people from NYC would disagree, but I am partial on this point)....
BTW, Dominos and Pizza Hut is not pizza, Its pizza flavored bread. NYC is a close second though.

Hmm.. I've never been to Chicago, but I find it hard to believe you can get a better slice than the ones on Wooster St...

Also, I agree. Pizza Hut/Dominos are NOT pizza. But I still like them... :blush:

That sounds awesome. I know spam has a bad rap, but I like the stuff.

... Home made macaroni and cheese only takes a half hour, Shepherds/Cottage pie likewise....

Hey, if ya could, I would love a great 'this is how my mother made it' recipe for shepards/cottage pie.

Also, in terms of UK comfort, I love me some Welsh Rarebit or baked beans jacket potatos.

Egg Foo Young!

Lo mein!

Also, eggo waffle, toasted, folded in half, and peanutbutter on one half, mayo on the other. It's got such a lovely taste.

Also, baked beans and doritos.

Oh, and creamed beef (a.k.a, shit on shingles).

I effin love comfort foods.

Guinlilly
01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Oh, and creamed beef (a.k.a, shit on shingles).

Mmmm! LOOOVE chipped beef, also have to add sausage gravy & biscuits (American biscuits, folks). So DAMN good! And I love eating it when I'm feeling crappy.

Penguinetti
01-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Mmmm! LOOOVE chipped beef, also have to add sausage gravy & biscuits (American biscuits, folks). So DAMN good! And I love eating it when I'm feeling crappy.

oh yea...

The place where I get my lunch from sometimes makes sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast...

MMMMMMM