PDA

View Full Version : Favourite mead/brewing books

fong song
01-22-2012, 12:45 AM
I bought and read 'the compleate meadmaker' and was very happy with it.
I would like reccomendations for other books to get. I understand that most will be about wine/beer but may still be useful. I looked for a couple that Medsen Fey wrote about but they were incredibly expensive (Wow, how much honey could I buy for that book!).
Regardless of price though, as I think this would be a great resource, which books would help in the quest for meadmaking?

Chevette Girl
01-22-2012, 01:39 PM
My first mead recipe came from Terry Garey's "The Joy of Home Winemaking". It's lighthearted and humourous to read, like Compleat Meadmaker but that's about where the similarity ends, it's nowhere near as scientific, it's a little dated and is sort of a "yeah whatever" brew style, where Ken explains why you want to do things like hydrate your yeast instead of dry pitch, and why you might select one yeast over another, but it does have good ideas for fruit wine recipes and relative acidity levels and sugar levels, etc.

I own another winemaking book but it's in hiding, when I clean my dersk I'll post about it, I think it's actually Canadian of all things, circa 1968, so some if it's a little dated but still a lot of good technical info for grape and fruit wines.

Dan McFeeley
01-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Look through the GotMead.com site and you'll find an extensive mead bibliography -- it's something I put together a while ago, probably needs updating but you should find some things that'll interest you.

--

TheAlchemist
01-24-2012, 12:49 AM
I adore Pam Spence's Mad About Mead. Roger's book is a bit too dry for me.

Guinlilly
01-24-2012, 08:05 PM
I like: Making Wild Wines & Meads: 125 Unusual Recipes Using Herbs, Fruits, Flowers & More by Pattie Vargas and Rich Gulling

mccann51
01-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher is a great brewing resource, definitely my favorite brew book and the one I go back to most often. It's enjoyable to read as it's written very conversationally with a lot of interest text-books, great layout, and is full of experimental inspiration, a meadmaker's best friend in my opinion. Even though it's beer-centric, he does have a nice section on mead, and there's cool ideas throughout that could be applied to meadmaking. If you also brew beer, this book's value increases that much more.

fong song
02-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Great, thanks for the bibliography and suggested books, I'll hunt them down :)

Chevette Girl
02-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Found my other book: The Art of Making Wine, Stanley F Anderson and Raymond Hall, (c) 1968. Need to re-read it. Once I'm done Compleat Meadmaker :)

quentinfool
02-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Oh if anyone is looking for Dan's mead bibliography, here's the links he sent me:
You can find the bibliography in two spots, one on the GotMead site here:

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?opt...d=44&Itemid=68

and here on the bjcp.org site, available as a pdf file. Just scroll down the page and you'll see the link:

http://www.bjcp.org/mead.php