PDA

View Full Version : Brown sugar and molassess?

Bluedog
01-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Hi folks, have any of you fermented brown sugar and molassess with no other additives? I'm wondering what it would taste like???

fatbloke
01-27-2012, 02:50 AM
You have to use enough of one or the other to have some residual sweetness, but it tastes like burnt sugar!

Chevette Girl
01-27-2012, 03:57 AM
I've had some successful batches of spiced apple or cranberry with brown sugar, but never on its own.

jens183
01-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Hello. I've once made a blackstrap molasses liqurice "mead/sodapop" based on what thoose little black liqurice things(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquorice_%28confectionery%29) are made of.

-------------Warning-------------
The recipe i've used for 2.5 gallon was:
~2lbs blackstrap molasses.
~2lbs honey(or sugar, the flavour will bee TOTALLY overpowered in this recipe anyway)
heaping teaspoons each of the spices: 4 fennel, 3 anis, 1 dried ginger.
Some wyeast ale yeast, then later added some lab culture.
started 21.05.2011 tasted it latest now(27.jan.2012)

Result: It is awful tasting, I can not even use it in cooking! The amount of blackstrap is a total overkill.
-----------------------------------

I've used molasses on a couple other occations also. Usually just max a big tablespoon pr gallon. At the moment i've got a gallon of stout beer/(dark barley wine) going with about 150-200 g of blackstrap molasses in it(it's only about 7 days old and still fermenting so i have not tested it yet.).
I see gotmead refering to buckwheat honey as the blackstrap molasess of honey's.

Anyway some spices that might work with blackstrap molasess is:
coriander, anis, fennel, liqurice root, orange peel, lemon peel
and maybe Theses ones (coffe?,juniper?,star anis?,sassafras?).

In the book "sacred and herbal healing beers" by Stephen Buhner he refering(p.420) to molasses beer as: one of the primary "lower" class beers in Colonial america.

From my knowledge molasses is mostly fermented and distilled to make rum, probably a reson for it.

I've seen some stores sell cane sugar ale, but have never tested it.

I still have between 3-4 lbs of molasses that I dont know what to do with. I might make a hopped molasses beer out of it one day.

Apathetik
01-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Ha! Funny you should mention this. I have a brown sugar/black strap fermenting right now. I was inspired by rum to make something that isn't quite as expensive since I am new and curious and cheap.

I used about 1-1.5lbs black strap to five gallons. It tastes fine. I also used about 20lbs of brown sugar and I am shooting for 16-18% alcohol.

At the moment I am battling a stuck fermentation (it's stuck at 13.9%) but, thanks to the crowd at GotMead, I think I am on my way to getting it unstuck. Don't worry, though, I think it was a PEBKAC error and nothing to do with the use of Brown Sugar and black strap.

Anyhow, I think it will come out quite nice. Preliminary tasting isn't bad, however, it is still considerably sweet at the moment. I plan on oaking it, giving it a hint of vanilla, orange peel, ginger, and allspice.

Bluedog
01-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Ha! Funny you should mention this. I have a brown sugar/black strap fermenting right now. I was inspired by rum to make something that isn't quite as expensive since I am new and curious and cheap.

I used about 1-1.5lbs black strap to five gallons. It tastes fine. I also used about 20lbs of brown sugar and I am shooting for 16-18% alcohol.

At the moment I am battling a stuck fermentation (it's stuck at 13.9%) but, thanks to the crowd at GotMead, I think I am on my way to getting it unstuck. Don't worry, though, I think it was a PEBKAC error and nothing to do with the use of Brown Sugar and black strap.

Anyhow, I think it will come out quite nice. Preliminary tasting isn't bad, however, it is still considerably sweet at the moment. I plan on oaking it, giving it a hint of vanilla, orange peel, ginger, and allspice.

Wow, that's exactly what I had in mind! I thought about adding coconut also. As for the brown sugar and molassess, I was wanting a burt sugar/ rummy flavor....Please keep me updated on how yours is doing, I think I'm going to start a 2.5 gal. batch today. What would be the best yeast to use? Thanks to all of you for your help. You folks are great.

Apathetik
01-30-2012, 02:52 PM
I used Red Star Premiere Cuvee. It can go up to 18% ABV, which for a pseudo-rum I thought to be reasonable ABV. It just seemed silly to make something rum-like with a low ABV. I suggest you step-feed.

speedreader
01-30-2012, 03:50 PM
I dumped some demerara (unwashed cane sugar) into one of my meads hoping to get some rum-like overtones.

It failed to do so. But that was probably a function of my not using enough it. Might actually be responsible for the slight cardboard taste upfront that is slowly aging its way out of the picture.