PDA

View Full Version : fermented fruit?

JohnS
02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
is there any practical uses for fruit that has been in a fermenting bucket, other then to throw it out? Has anyone ever tasted or make a mushy fruit salad or made a fruit smooty?

I will soon rack my berry mel an was wondering if I could use the fruit for something else other then feed the squirrels with it and watch them get drunk or throw it in the garbage.

I am also thinking of what to do with it in the future instead of just throwing it away.

Chevette Girl
02-01-2012, 03:57 PM
There have been several threads on this very topic, see what you can find with the forum search tool or go thumbing back through the Newbee or General threads... TheAlchemist likes to make bread out of her pumpkin pulp (maybe try a search for Drunken Pumpkin bread), I made a nice cranberry loaf with fermented cranberries, and I have been known to make second-run batches by adding more honey and water to a bag of once-fermented fruit, sometimes I freeze it for adding to smoothies... making smoothies etc is possible but remember, it's not going to taste much like the fruit because all the sugar is gone, you may want to add some back.

I got three runs out of one particularly fruity bag, second runs don't often taste a lot like the original unless they were only in primary for a short time (1 week, rather than 2 or 3), but they often contribute a lot of colour and are nice for experimenting with spices.

skunkboy
02-01-2012, 10:17 PM
At the very least, dig a hole in your flower bed/shrubs/etc and pour in the fermented fruit. With the yeast it makes a great organic fertalizer...

chams
02-01-2012, 10:29 PM
At the very least, dig a hole in your flower bed/shrubs/etc and pour in the fermented fruit. With the yeast it makes a great organic fertalizer...

Yeh, I chuck my leavings on the veg. garden along with the rabbit droppings :)
Cycle of life and all...

SuperSquirrel
02-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Wonder if you could mush them all up and make them into jello shots?

Chevette Girl
02-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Now that's an idea. Definitely needs the sugar from the jello, though. Unsweetened fermented strawberry mush is just nassssty :)

SuperSquirrel
02-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Big 10-4 with additional sugar. I tasted cherries after a batch...it was awful - potent, but awful :o :D