PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else trying all their mead recently?

kc0dhb
02-08-2012, 01:56 AM
I'm looking through my meads... I've found those that I'm happy sharing with friends, meads I want to show off with other mead making friends, those I want to enter into competitions, and those that I'm drinking all by myself (cartman voice: screw you guys). There is some overlap.

I feel that I want to enter the best meads I've made into the competitions, as well as those I can't quite figure out what can make them better, but I also want to share good meads at MCI before the home competition is done (, and I'm also keeping my favorite meads hidden...).

My plan right now is to pick one or two meads not to enter (not my _absolute_ best meads, but those I'm quite happy with), and share those with all those I can. Then bring a few of the ones I think will do well in the competition (those I consider my good meads), and only bring those out after the awards ceremony at Mazer Cup International...

Is anyone else trying to figure out how to share their good meads without influencing the judging? Going to be a whole bunch of excellent mead makers at MCI, and I can't wait to brag, be humbled, and bounce ideas.

Kyle

John E.
02-08-2012, 02:53 AM
Kyle,
Thanks for the advice to be a stewart, I am scheduled to srewart both days. I am so new to Mead Making that I do not have anything to share. I am looking forward to learning all I can from the experts. Hope to meet all the good folks from GOT MEAD that I can.
John E.

mmclean
02-08-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm just trying not to drink them all myself so that I can share some. I think I need to start doing bigger batches. ;D

jkane
02-08-2012, 01:55 PM
My wife and I did a 14 different meads in a row tasting last week! :o Picked 3 to send to a local contest. Midwinter Homebrew. The hardest part about what to share and what to enter is adding in judging! Which category do we want to be excluded from judging if we enter.

Still thinking about what to enter at MCI. May end up not entering any. But will bring some along to share either way. :)

Btw: I assume your user ID is a Ham callsign. I am kb9qqe.

Loadnabox
02-08-2012, 02:26 PM
My wife and I did a 14 different meads in a row tasting last week! :o Picked 3 to send to a local contest. Midwinter Homebrew. The hardest part about what to share and what to enter is adding in judging! Which category do we want to be excluded from judging if we enter.

Still thinking about what to enter at MCI. May end up not entering any. But will bring some along to share either way. :)

Btw: I assume your user ID is a Ham callsign. I am kb9qqe.

There's a couple of us floating around here

N7TBZ

TheAlchemist
02-08-2012, 02:40 PM
There's a couple of us floating around here

N7TBZ

Thanks to all the HamOps! Never know when we're gonna need them. There for us in a crisis! I remember when I was in Nigeria and there was really no other way to communicate with the outside world.

My BingoBob is named for one...

Chevette Girl
02-08-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm just trying not to drink them all myself so that I can share some. I think I need to start doing bigger batches. ;D

I hear ya, I think I'm going to plan to enter things in next year's MCI, since I'm right in the middle of fulfilling my promise to my husband to get the dang wine stuff OUT of the kitchen (which has of course necessitated reorganizing the basement) this year, which I'd promised would be done by the end of LAST year... It's physically difficult to get to my bottled wines at the moment, and for a LOT of batches, I really only have a bottle or two of each left and I need to do another inventory since I lost the printout of the spreadsheet I was updating somewhere between the basement and the computer so I don't know what I have OR where it's hiding... Definitely want to enter my standard acerglyn and my blackberry JAO but I think I put it off for too long this year.

I keep meaning to do a tasting of one bottle of everything I've still got in stock but I honestly don't have time to drink that much! Why does everything I want to do have to happen in the evenings when I should be drinking mead...

robin850
02-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Bottled 5gal of JAOM, 5gal of Cyser, and 5gal of Sack Mead about 2 weeks ago. The JAOM is delicious, the Cyser is "ok", and the Sack Mead needs to age.

The friends are having a great time tasting! Time to hit up my fellow beekeepers for more honey!

cheers,

robin850