• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Favorite Current & Past TV shows.

Barrel Char Wood Products

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
A non-scientific poll for GotMeader's. I'm sure with the wide range of ages and backgrounds here that the responses will be greatly varied. Feel free to include a brief description of why you like each show (both past and present).

1. Drama
2. Police
3. Lawyer
4. Medical
5. Sit-com
6. Sci-Fi
7. Reality
8. Other (e.g. Dramedy Comedy-drama)

Drama – Current: “Once Upon a Time” - A real surprise. Light, with the I-can’t-wait-to-see-what-happens-next appeal. Plus the evil queen is gorgeous. I’m not so sure that the story line can last for more than a few seasons.
Drama – Past: “American Dreams” - A show depicting the turbulent 60’s, with and excellent score of music from that time period. (Honorable mention: “The Book of Daniel” and “The New People”)

Police – Current: ”Bones” – CSI-type show with a great blend of characters and themes (think religion vs. science).
Police – Past: "Cold Case" - Unique use of flashbacks and a musical score from when the crime occured. (Honorable mention: “The Cape” – Comic book style police/drama done in a serious (non-campy) manner)

Lawyer – Current: None
Lawyer – Past: "The Practice" (with original cast)

Medical – Current: “House” – Brilliant, anti-social, drug-addicted doctor. Announced today that this is its last season.
Medical - Past: “Grey’s Anatomy” (with original cast). This show ran its course several seasons ago.

Sit-com – Current: “The Big Bang Theory” – Unique nerdy comedy with excellent chemistry (or should that be “physics”) between the characters.
Sit-com – Past: “Taxi” What a crew! Danny DeVito, Andy Kaufman, Christopher Lloyd, Tony Danza, Judd Hirsch ,et. al. (Honorable mention: “Cheers”, “Newhart “, "Two & a Half Men" (with C. Sheen))

Sci-Fi – Current: "Terra Nova" - Good but not great.
Sci-Fi – Past: “Star Trek (original)”. This show was revolutionary as opposed to evolutionary. Great cast coupled with “morality lesson” story lines. (Honorable mention: “V” and a few later “Star Treks”)

Reality – Present: None. Too much of the S.O.S. every week (IMHO).
Reality – Past : None. Ditto.

Other -Currnent: "Jeopardy" The ultimate trivia (significa?) show.
Other -Past: “Rowin & Martin’s Laugh-In” The precursor of SNL. Another revolutionary show with a cast of future stars.

What are your favorites?

Last edited:

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Drama - Dallas; spent a whole summer waiting to see who shot J.R. Also, Mission Impossible.

Police - Hill Street Blues; first of the modern police shows showing the "gritty" side.

Lawyer - Don't like lawyer shows since Perry Mason. But if you could make a reality TV lawyer show where you got to burn one at the stake, I'd tune in every week.

Medical - ER; Actually one of the most realistic medical shows ever. That might have something to do with the fact that Michael Crichton was a physician.

Sit Com - Seinfeld; how can you not like show about nothing? Also love the classics - I Love Lucy, Honeymooners, Sandford and Son, All in the Family, Good Times.

Sci Fi - Definitely Star Trek in its various iterations. Really enjoyed the Firefly show more recently; brief as it was, it was just different from everything else. Heroes was fun, at least for the first year or so.

Reality - I watch TV to get away from reality. But if you get me the show about the lawyers, I'm ready to watch. :)

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
Drama – Current: Game of Thrones - It's epic!, True Blood - Quirky, fun, and leaves you with questions, Downton Abbey - WWI drama...love it!
Drama – Past: Gilmore Girls

Police – Current: Bones - I love the interplay between Bones & Booth
Police – Past: Magnum PI - Magnum was my first crush at age 3. I'd have a temper tantrum if my butt wasn't parked in front of Magnum when the show was on. Mystery and action all set in beautiful Hawaii

Lawyer – Current: Don't watch them
Lawyer – Past: Ally McBeal - quirky and fun

Medical – Current: Don't watch Medical shows
Medical - Past: Same as above

Sitcom – Current: The Big Bang Theory - I'm a nerd I get most of the references.
Sitcom – Past: The Cosby Show, Friends, Are You Being Served?

Sci-Fi – Current: Dr. Who, Supernatural
Sci-Fi – Past: Babylon 5, Firefly, Dr. Who, X-Files, Buffy, Battlestar Galactica

Reality – Present: No idea, I don't watch them.
Reality – Past : Above!

Other -Current: I can't get enough of any kind of documentary on Netflix
Other -Past: Invader Zim - dark, awesome cartoon

veritas

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 7, 2007
Wisconsin BEER Capitol USA
Drama – Current: Game of Thrones - It's epic!, True Blood - Quirky, fun, and leaves you with questions, Downton Abbey - WWI drama...love it!
Drama – Past: Gilmore Girls

Police – Current: Bones - I love the interplay between Bones & Booth
Police – Past: Magnum PI - Magnum was my first crush at age 3. I'd have a temper tantrum if my butt wasn't parked in front of Magnum when the show was on. Mystery and action all set in beautiful Hawaii

Lawyer – Current: Don't watch them
Lawyer – Past: Ally McBeal - quirky and fun

Medical – Current: Don't watch Medical shows
Medical - Past: Same as above

Sitcom – Current: The Big Bang Theory - I'm a nerd I get most of the references.
Sitcom – Past: The Cosby Show, Friends, Are You Being Served?

Sci-Fi – Current: Dr. Who, Supernatural
Sci-Fi – Past: Babylon 5, Firefly, Dr. Who, X-Files, Buffy, Battlestar Galactica

Reality – Present: No idea, I don't watch them.
Reality – Past : Above!

Other -Current: I can't get enough of any kind of documentary on Netflix
Other -Past: Invader Zim - dark, awesome cartoon

Funny you say that about netflix and documentaries I have an addiction as well. Its all I watch on netflix and I watch anywhere from 1 to 3 when I'm off duty.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
If I remember correctly there are a lot of non-TV watchers around here.

I haven't watched TV since Northern Exposure went off the air.
Can't stand commercials. Didn't even bother to update my TV (which I only use for watching film) when the world went digital.

I do enjoy The Mentalist when my parents are watching it.

I loved the slapstick of Laugh-In but was too young to get the innuendo, liked the classic SNL back in the day...never watched Monty Python when it was on the air, but love the 16 Ton Megaset. I would probably have liked Seinfeld.

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE

Can't stand commercials. Didn't even bother to update my TV (which I only use for watching film) when the world went digital.

I do enjoy The Mentalist when my parents are watching it.

I loved the slapstick of Laugh-In but was too young to get the innuendo, liked the classic SNL back in the day...never watched Monty Python when it was on the air, but love the 16 Ton Megaset. I would probably have liked Seinfeld.

We only have Netflix. so it's mostly older shows and documentaries that can be streamed that we watch. No commercials that way and cheaper than cable.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON

Yep, that's been a while... My own TV has never been hooked up to cable and the last time it pulled in an actual station was 9/11 when I wanted to watch the news. And most of the time when we were visiting my in-laws when they had cable, all we ever watched was the History channel because the rest of it was 57 channels and nothing on...

I loved Night Court and the Muppet Show and also Dukes of Hazzard (shut up, I was young, to this day I still swoon over 60's-70's muscle cars).

These days we watch our TV shows on the internet or when friends buy the series, so I've seen some things start to finish. If a real hospital works at all like Grey's Anatomy, I am SO glad to be healthy!

I enjoyed Firefly and NCIS and I'll catch up on Castle every so often, and am really enjoying Flashpoint (Canadian police drama, I guess?), but most reality TV makes me walk away from the TV, although Ice Pilots NWT is cool because every time they're up in one of these 50-year old planes, I'm thinking, "Holy crap, it's like driving a Chevette, only flying..." ;D

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois

I'm one of the non-tv watchers, no particular reason, have worked second shifts and night shifts for years, just drifted away from it. I've usually got other things to do that seem more interesting to me . . .

--

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns