PDA

View Full Version : Nutrient addition after racking

Cposten@charter.net
02-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Hey. I'm going to rack a gallon of apricot wildflower mead. I was just wondering if I should add any nutrient after I do to aide with secondary fermentation. If so should I add fermaid, Diammonium phosphate or what? Thanks in advance.

brian92fs
02-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Secondary fermentation is normally associated with brewing and doesn't really apply to mead making. Racking to the secondary shouldn't be done until the fermentation completes. So, with that in mind, there isn't a need for nutrients in the secondary. Furthermore, if fermentation is complete adding nutrients will likely increase the chances of spoilage or off flavors since you've given bacteria a food source.

Chevette Girl
02-13-2012, 05:48 PM
What Brian said :), you generally don't want to add nutrients after your yeast have eaten about 1/3 to 1/2 of the total amount of sugar in your must.

That, and you might want to shorten your username, if that's actually your email address you might be noticed by spambots.

Medsen Fey
02-15-2012, 10:34 PM
As the prior posts point out, you generally don't want to add nutrients after the 1/2 fermentation point, and adding them late provides much less benefit than adding them early.

And Welcome to GotMead!