PDA

View Full Version : help, hints?

hb1
02-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Hi everyone,
This is my first post, and I have a couple questions. I am not making my own mead, and I know the FAQ say to go find your own answers and do your own research, but I have, for months, and have come up empty. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Four years ago, on our second date, my fiance and I bought a bottle of mead (at Chester Hill Winery, MA). We would like to drink it together at our wedding, but we're not sure if we can...I'm sure we didn't store it in ideal conditions.

Does a bottle of mead last indefinitely if unopened?
Does it have to be stored on its side like wine?

Forgive my ignorance, but I have not been able to find answers to these questions, and it seems like you are the people to ask!

Thank you.

Chevette Girl
02-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Congratulations! :) and welcome to the forum. And you're right, those are not easy questions to find answers to.

Perhaps mead won't last indefinitely, but ten years isn't unheard of, it should be fine at four years old.

It should be stored on its side if it's got a real cork in it but if it's a synthetic cork, you're fine in that respect and it can be stored upright. It should also be kept at a somewhat stable temperature and it's best if it's kept in the dark, or at the very least, out of direct sunlight. If it has a real cork and has been stored upright, give it a tilt every now and then to make sure the cork gets and stays wet, sometimes they can dry out and shrink.

If it's been stored in less than stellar conditions, you might want to have a backup bottle of something in case it's gone on you. But meads are pretty resilient, it should be OK. You could always try a recipe of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (recipe's in a couple places on this site, post # 2 of this one (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6885&page=54)), and use that as your backup plan, it should be ready in only 2 months!

I had a bottle of my maple mead on the head table for my wedding, we got a nice pair of handmade pottery goblets to go with our medieval theme... Everyone else got red and white kit wines :)