PDA

View Full Version : Muscat and Orange Blossom Pyment...

skunkboy
02-14-2012, 11:19 PM
1 Williams Brewing Muscat Wine Kit
7 lbs Orange Blossom Honey
1122 yeast
water to 6 gallons

O.G. 1.134
F.G. 1.012

-------

Now the rambling, stream of consciousness...

Never having made a pyment I decided to try this, and now I realize that I have only ever had I think like 4 other pyments as examples, so I am somewhat at a loss as to tell what I achieved. ;-)

Very very clear after 10 months in secondary.

Tastes nice, muscat up front, some orange flavor, then some acid towards the end (maybe a bit much for the residual sugar, or I have something else going on with the acid). I tend towards sweet wines and meads so I'm tempted to backsweeten this a bit (10 pts probably, but will do it to taste). First I will probably rack wine into 5 gallon tertiary, and bottle the remainder in beer bottles so I can take samples to a couple of people ( maybe BNektar ) to get some feedback before tweaking.

Any comments, suggestions, or comparisons to "Ulysses"?

wayneb
02-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Tastes nice, muscat up front, some orange flavor, then some acid towards the end (maybe a bit much for the residual sugar, or I have something else going on with the acid). I tend towards sweet wines and meads so I'm tempted to backsweeten this a bit (10 pts probably, but will do it to taste).

Muscat tends to be a variety relatively high in TA, especially if it is harvested early (which often happens where it is grown for wine, since it tends to be cultivated in areas of the country where summer heat, and growing season length, are highly variable from year to year), so that's probably the source of the acidic bite that you're observing. A little backsweetening will balance out the tang, and may be a good idea for this batch - especially since you tend to like your meads on the sweet side anyway. Early on, a lot of the acid is malic, so you could also try to soften it up a bit by MLF, but that is quite a science project and probably more trouble than it is worth (not every MLF inoculation turns out as planned, especially if you haven't done malolactic ferments a lot).

skunkboy
02-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I've never tried doing a MLF before, and will probably wait until I make some straight up wines to try that.

Thanks for the info!