PDA

View Full Version : adding hibiscus makes a metheglin?

skunkboy
02-14-2012, 11:29 PM
I made an Orange Blossom honey mead that had a some steeped hibiscus flowers added to the must, and I am trying to figure out what that makes the end product. A metheglin?

Do know that I need to play with hibiscus some more after this, light pink sweet mead, with a nice level of tartness... I think I'm in love... :-)

YogiBearMead726
02-15-2012, 02:31 AM
I made an Orange Blossom honey mead that had a some steeped hibiscus flowers added to the must, and I am trying to figure out what that makes the end product. A metheglin?

Do know that I need to play with hibiscus some more after this, light pink sweet mead, with a nice level of tartness... I think I'm in love... :-)

Right?! Hibiscus makes for a great mead addition.

But back on point, it does indeed make the mead a metheglin.

hepcat
02-19-2012, 10:31 AM

Do you steep just the flower petals and for how long?

skunkboy
02-19-2012, 04:17 PM
For a 3.5 gallon batch I did the following :

13 lbs O.B. Honey
2 cups (loosely packed) dried hibiscus : steeped in hot water and water added to must
1/2 cup (loosely packed) dried hibiscus tossed into must
water to 3.5 gallons
1116 yeast
moved to secondary after about 3 1/2 weeks ...

mmclean
02-19-2012, 05:35 PM
In my Hibiscus Ginger Metheglin, I added 2 oz dried hibiscus in primary. Great dark red color.

skunkboy
02-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah, weighing it would make more sense then by volume, but I tend to just grab stuff and run with it when trying things out for the first time...

Penguinetti
02-21-2012, 12:55 PM
A) That Hibiscus sounds nice. How long has it been in secondary?

B) If adding Hibiscus flower makes a mead a metheglin, then why does adding rose make it a Rhodomel? What makes roses so special?

Chevette Girl
02-21-2012, 03:23 PM
B) If adding Hibiscus flower makes a mead a metheglin, then why does adding rose make it a Rhodomel? What makes roses so special?

That's the same as asking why a melomel made with apples is a cyser or one made with grapes is a pyment or one made with hot peppers is a capsicumel. Broad category with a few specific designations...

skunkboy
02-21-2012, 08:14 PM
A) That Hibiscus sounds nice. How long has it been in secondary?

Has been in the secondary for about 8 months now... thinking about bottling it...

Rhodomel because they have better marketers ... ;-)

Penguinetti
02-22-2012, 11:41 AM
That's the same as asking why a melomel made with apples is a cyser or one made with grapes is a pyment or one made with hot peppers is a capsicumel. Broad category with a few specific designations...

Yup, completely didn't connect the whole apples and grape thing. I just quickly thought 'hey, hibiscus is a flower and a rose is a flower'. The one thing I do find interesting; Rhodomel sounds like its a derivation from melomel (fruit mead) and not metheglin (spice mead). :shrug: Not anything important at all, just interesting to me.

Has been in the secondary for about 8 months now... thinking about bottling it...

Rhodomel because they have better marketers ... ;-)

Lol, you gonna call this one a Hibiscumel? Or maybe hibitheglin?