PDA

View Full Version : Joining the eruption accident club

Midnight Sun
02-16-2012, 03:16 PM
I always knew that it would only be a matter of time before I had an accident. After coming home last night and being hit with the smell of beer, I knew something was up. (Sorry, this is a story about beer instead of mead...) Yup, my number had been called. A bottle had ruptured, scattering glass and spewing beer all over my kitchen. Interestingly, most of the glass went one way while most of the beer went another.

One thing strange about the cleanup: I could only account for half of the beer. And the floor, while a bit sticky, had no beer puddles like what was on the counter top. Evidently, my shih tzu is a closet beer dog. She had always rejected any type of alcohol in the past, but I can find no other explanation. Ah well, less work for me.

As for me, all bottles from this batch are going into a box in the garage. Future batches too. That flying glass might have hurt someone, so I have learned my lesson.

Chevette Girl
02-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Is it a case of overcarbonation, or just a random bottle failure? If the whole batch is overcarbonated, you'll want to store those bottles as close to freezing as you can keep them until they're opened...

Soyala_Amaya
02-16-2012, 07:25 PM
My mom's chihuahua is a mead hound. He LOVES to lick up any spills I have and keeps the floor around my counter sparkling clean. He haunts my toes hoping to jostle me and drink ambrosia, I swear. Forget tequila, he turns up his nose at the vodka, but he wants him some mead.

The boxer likes beer and has been known to steal entire bottles off the coffee table if you turn your back for too long.

While I've yet to have the hedgehog out during any brewing adventures, he does tend to bite me more if I did any racking before I get him out. Then again, he tends to bite more if I have ANYTHING on my hands PERIOD, so that might not be a good measurement...however, I do know Chevette Girl has claimed to have a rat that loved wine!

But yeah, +1 on the super cold storage if you're not sure why the bottle imploded.

Chevette Girl
02-16-2012, 09:12 PM
While I've yet to have the hedgehog out during any brewing adventures, he does tend to bite me more if I did any racking before I get him out. Then again, he tends to bite more if I have ANYTHING on my hands PERIOD, so that might not be a good measurement...however, I do know Chevette Girl has claimed to have a rat that loved wine!

Several of my rats were booze-hounds, actually, and both the males liked hot spicy things. The rabbit, when offered, pulls her nose away and then gives me this, "Are you trying to poison me or something?" look of death.

Yeah, I'd want to find out (carefully! Refrigerate before opening and wear safety goggles) if it's all overcarbonated or if it was a single bottle failure. Hope the shih tzu didn't pick up any glass slivers.

Midnight Sun
02-16-2012, 09:48 PM
I think that must have structurally unsound to begin with. Other bottles from that batch have been transported via car all over town. Priming was as recommended by my LHBS, 3/4 cup of sugar.

The bottles themselves were a craigslist find. They all appear to be in good condition, but no telling how many times they've been used.

And no, the dog didn't get any glass in her. The glass was concentrated in one area and the beer in another.

skunkboy
02-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Yeah, sounds like a bad bottle. Bottle defects, capper issues, and handling problems will cause a small number of bottles to break. The ones I hate are when you go to pop the top off of the beer bottle and the top of the bottle shears off. Had that happen to me twice with my bottles, and once judging at a competition, or maybe I have secret ninja powers... ;-)