PDA

View Full Version : OOOooops.....

hepcat
03-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Mixed up a 4 gallon batch of an orange spice melomel tonight, and accidentally added 4 tsp (powder) pectic enzyme. Directions on the container said to add only 1/2 tsp per gallon. Did I ruin it???

Looking around online, some fruit wine brewers say you can't really use too much pectic enzyme....saw one post that said they used 7 tsp in a one gallon batch. Hope I didn't screw it up.....:rolleyes:

fatbloke
03-04-2012, 05:21 AM
Pectic enzyme, not only sorts the pectin, but also seems to help with colour and flavour (extraction/preservation). It won't give off flavours and other faults so should be fine........

hepcat
03-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Excellent thanks so much fatbloke!

I took your advice Chevette Girl and have waited ~12 hours to pitch the yeast in this batch after adding pectin enzyme to it last night. Cheers!

fatbloke
03-04-2012, 10:18 AM
The pitch after pectolase thing ? Well we all seem to do this differently, depends on what and where you read up on it.

I like to leave it 24 hours plus, mainly because I'm a tightwad. You use one quantity if you use it before a ferment, but usually double that after a ferment. So I like to just make sure I don't have to re-treat a batch........

S'up to you really......

hepcat
03-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Yes that's what I had gathered, fatbloke, everyone does it a little differently. I'm too impatient to wait any longer, want to get this batch cooking, lol. And I really appreciate your advice as always!

fatbloke
03-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Yes that's what I had gathered, fatbloke, everyone does it a little differently. I'm too impatient to wait any longer, want to get this batch cooking, lol. And I really appreciate your advice as always!
Well the quote has to be Alec Guiness as Obi Wan. "Patience young jedi" ;D

Actually, when you get into mead making, it's pretty much the hardest thing to learn, unless it's something you already possess.

I just learned to turn my laziness into patience...... you end up with the same results..

Good luck with your efforts, and read plenty of Medsen Fey's words of wisdom. After all, he's also in Florida, so stuff like ambient temps etc are likely to be similar......

Chevette Girl
03-04-2012, 01:05 PM
I just learned to turn my laziness into patience...... you end up with the same results..

I added a generous heap of procrastination, and it's pretty easy! :P

Actually adding more pectinase can make it work faster, anecdotally of course (http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/01/avonturen-op-het-pecto-pad-deel-2.html)...

wildoates
03-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Well, it's an enzyme, and one of the limiting factors of catalytic reactions is the amount of enzyme in relation to the amount of pectin in solution, so the more pectinase the faster the reactions happen--within a certain range, anyway.