PDA

View Full Version : how do you say carboy

cefleet
03-08-2012, 07:49 PM
car-boy or care-boy? I only know 2 people in Real Life who brew/wine make. One says you say it care-boy, the other says car-boy. Who is correct?

TAKeyser
03-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Car-boy is how I have always heard it

Riverat
03-08-2012, 08:00 PM

Ditto, just like it's spelled

veritas
03-08-2012, 08:07 PM

Same thing around here. Never heard it pronounced care-boy.

wildoates
03-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Yep, car-boy. We use 'em in the lab and they're car-boys there, too. :)

Echostatic
03-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Care-boy? Weirdo... Totally car-boy.

...Although, now that you mention it, calling it a carboy in the first place is weird.

Altricious
03-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Per wikipedia:

The word carboy is from the Persian qarabah (قرابه), from Arabic qarraba, "big jug"

Loadnabox
03-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Per wikipedia:

The word carboy is from the Persian qarabah (قرابه), from Arabic qarraba, "big jug"

Funny considering arabic ties to Islam and alcohol being forbidden

skunkboy
03-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Car-Boy or if holding pinky out, Khar-Boai ;-)

Chevette Girl
03-08-2012, 11:08 PM

Likely used as a water jug, not a fermentation vessel...

ZwolfUpir
03-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Ca-boy. Boston accent...

cefleet
03-08-2012, 11:41 PM
wow lots of replies. Thanks.
I live in the south so to say it correctly with a southern accent I guess it will have to be :
caar-boyaa
to get the full effect you have to say :

That thar ista caar-boyaa

wayneb
03-08-2012, 11:56 PM
BTW - the etymology of the word links it to the Spanish word calabaza, possibly from Arabic qar'a yabisa "dry gourd", from Persian kharabuz, used of various large melons; or from a pre-Roman Iberian calapaccia. (Thank you Wikipedia - that way I didn't have to look it up in one of those large, heavy, paper leaved things gathering dust on my shelves!) ;) The same root is where the word for a large gourd used for carrying water, calabash, comes from.

(I know - I'm a font of useless trivia.)
:rolleyes:

Altricious
03-09-2012, 12:27 AM
(I know - I'm a font of useless trivia.)

I love useless trivia. In fact, I must confess I'm kinda a sucker for nerdy guys with eclectic tastes.

wayneb
03-09-2012, 12:29 AM
...nerdy guys with eclectic tastes.

Yup - that describes most (if not all) of the guys around here, myself included.

Altricious
03-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Yup - that describes most (if not all) of the guys around here, myself included.

Ooooooooohh.... A new dating pool!

lol

wildoates
03-09-2012, 12:46 AM
They're all either married (smart wimmen don't let the good ones go unclaimed for long) or way too young for me. :)

Muslims didn't always prohibit alcohol, by the way. Can't remember offhand the particulars, though.

fatbloke
03-09-2012, 01:43 AM
Not really.......alcohol product has a few like that.

What about stills ? The earliest types are alembic, which is also of Arabic origin/extraction. As was the actual distillation method.

I also read, the other day, that its not alcohol per se that's forbidden, but alcohol brewed/distilled/produced from grain that's forbidden, which is why Tej produced in Ethiopia is considered fine....... dunno if that's correct, not Muslim and can't read/understand the Arabic.....

Chevette Girl
03-09-2012, 07:59 AM
I asked a Muslim friend of mine if the movie 13th Warrior was correct in that honey bypassed the rules "of grape or grain" but she said no, it's all alcohol.

TheAlchemist
03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm kinda a sucker for nerdy guys with eclectic tastes.

I'll second that...

mmclean
03-09-2012, 02:17 PM
I asked a Muslim friend of mine if the movie 13th Warrior was correct in that honey bypassed the rules "of grape or grain" but she said no, it's all alcohol.

I think you may have missed the point of the movie.

AToE
03-09-2012, 04:33 PM
It's probably like anything in any religion, people find loopholes around almost every rule, so some groups claim something is fine, but others dispute it. As far as I know the thing in Islam is no intoxication period, from any substance, that seems to be the majority view anyways.

Arabic is way older than Islam too though, and lots of alcohol was produced in that region before the rise of Muhammed.

EDIT: I didn't hear anything while I was in Ethiopia about their Muslims being allowed to drink T'ej, but I also didn't manage to visit any of the really Islam dominated areas, most of the country is Christian, then Islamic, then Jewish, then numerous local religions. It's a pretty interesting country as far as being an Abrahamic melting pot!

TheAlchemist
03-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Actually, the word "alchemy" is from Arabic...

Altricious
03-09-2012, 05:54 PM
It's probably like anything in any religion, people find loopholes around almost every rule, so some groups claim something is fine, but others dispute it.

What's interesting is discovering what practices are part of a faith because they are dictated by a holy text vs the practices that evolved and were absorbed into the faith because they were part of the culture of the people joining that faith. Of course, I have no idea how this factors into Islam and alcohol.

huesmann
03-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Note that Persian culture predates Islam by several centuries.

chams
03-10-2012, 10:41 AM
A Newfie or the Cornish might say "care-bye" :-)

Val
03-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Wow, I'm in the minority.

I, and everyone I know, pronounces it "car-boo-ee".

Chevette Girl
03-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I could see that, car-buoy. Where are you, Val?

Val
03-14-2012, 12:31 PM
I could see that, car-buoy. Where are you, Val?

Savannah, Georgia. I'm also a SCAdian, so that pronunciation COULD be a SCAdian thing.

browncoats
03-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Savannah, Georgia. I'm also a SCAdian, so that pronunciation COULD be a SCAdian thing.

Do you mean SCA or SCAD?

Chevette Girl
03-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Might just be local too, the SCA folks I know call it car-boy...

cefleet
03-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Savannah,
One of GA's greatest cities. I have a cousin who lives there and My little brother did until last week.We were going to go for St. Patty's day but somehow that fell through.

I had a full ride to go to Armstrong Atlantic there about 10 years ago for theater, but went into youth ministry instead.

And by SCAD she / (he) was saying Savannah Collage of Art and Design.

Riverat
03-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Yea Savannah is a nice place, really pretty ths time of year. My Ellabell location is a few miles west of and I work there. And SCAD has been a very positive thing for the city (heck it IS just about the city!)
However I am abandoning ship for St Patties day and going camping at Hunting Isle, gets a bit too crowded on the 17th!

Val
03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
I meant SCA, not SCAD (although I did work there for a year).

Yeah, we're grilling out for St. Patty's and avoiding downtown like the plague.