View Full Version : First taste after bottle aging for about 2 months...

03-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Back in December, I made a JAOM knock-off following the "stormthecastle" recipe (less honey and d47 yeast). I was very unhappy with the way it turned out; It was very, very dry and bitter tasting. In an effort to salvage it, I backsweetened it a bit, tossed in a cinnamon stick, and added a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Left it in the jug for about month, and it had cleared beautifully. Tasting revealed a still young mead, and *way* too much vanilla. I was stlll a little skeptical, but I bottled it anyway; two 750ml wine bottles and six or so 12 oz beer bottles.

Decided to try some of it tonight, with it being in the bottle for roughly two months. I cannot believe it's the same stuff I put in there! All the harshness is completely gone. The alcohol is totally in the background. The vanilla is *still* a little too strong, but it's very, very drinkable. I now have renewed hope for the other 15 gallons currently aging in the dark place under the stairs!

03-30-2012, 09:12 PM
The vanilla will partially age out, and what does not will mellow with age.

Sadie Lady
03-30-2012, 09:45 PM
That's good to know. I made that same stormthecastle orange spiced mead a year ago. I thought it tasted bitter also. It aged for a year the I just stabilized in January and back sweetened a little with some honey. I haven't tasted it since then. Maybe I will try a little bit this weekend.

03-30-2012, 10:32 PM
I thought I should clarify - The other 15 gallons of varied meads. I didn't make 15 gallons of JAOM. ;)

03-31-2012, 03:46 AM
I thought I should clarify - The other 15 gallons of varied meads. I didn't make 15 gallons of JAOM. ;)
Even if you did, it's of no consequence. It's a good recipe, especially if it's made "benchmark" and then aged.....

05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Good to hear, Bishop because I also have two 750ml bottles of that same recipe that's been in the bottle almost two months now, it was my first batch of mead and I am looking forward to trying mine in the near future.