PDA

View Full Version : fermenting hot

cabeasle
03-31-2012, 10:30 PM
I looked online for the optimal temp. range for Lalvin D47 (which is currently fermenting a batch for me). Apparently, it peaks at about 68 degrees. I did not realize it was so low in that regard, and the thermometer on my fermenter is reading at about 75 right now (apartment is just under 70). Will this adversely affect the brew? Is it something that can be salvaged?

TAKeyser
03-31-2012, 10:38 PM
I don't know how long it's been fermenting, but fermenting too hot can contribute some off flavors and aroma's. If you have a cool spot I'd move it there, maybe a sink/tub of cool water. Some people will stick it in water and place a t-shirt over the carboy to wick up the water to it cools the entire carboy.

fatbloke
04-01-2012, 04:06 AM
TAKeyser's suggestion is the "swamp cooler" method.

Will high temp affect a D47 batch ? Answer is yes, probably. Above 68-70 it produces fusels, giving rise to Medsen Feys analogy of "paint thinner".....

Honey
04-01-2012, 08:11 AM
I don't know how long it's been fermenting, but fermenting too hot can contribute some off flavors and aroma's. If you have a cool spot I'd move it there, maybe a sink/tub of cool water. Some people will stick it in water and place a t-shirt over the carboy to wick up the water to it cools the entire carboy.

Oh - I like this idea, and is easily do-able with the one gallon jugs. Ssecond idea I'm playing with is fixing a table up directly in front of the wall unit which is kept on 80 degrees when I'm at work. This will also work but will mean that one side of the mead will have a "cool breeze" constantly blowing on it and I don't know how this will affect it.

Honey

mmclean
04-01-2012, 09:06 AM
If the "swamp cooler" method isn't enough, place a small fan blowing on the T-shirt. I think you can expect around a 10 degree drop in temp.

cabeasle
04-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Hmm... it is in a plastic fermenter at the moment, but I can try to find something to set it in and fill w/cold water. Thanks for the suggestions.

TAKeyser
04-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Hmm... it is in a plastic fermenter at the moment, but I can try to find something to set it in and fill w/cold water. Thanks for the suggestions.

I know people who do the same think with buckets and larger carboys in the tub or in the large sink that usually sits next to the washing machine. And the fan blowing on it that mmclean mentioned will help as well.