PDA

View Full Version : Neonicotinoids are bad for bees!

Chevette Girl
04-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Looks like they've finally got some research (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/common-pesticide-makes-honeybees-lost-reduces-bumblebee-hive-180639873.html)backing it up... even if the results are from experiments with much higher doses than they'd expect bees to actually encounter.

skunkboy
04-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Bug killing drug is bad for bees.... who knew?

I wanna see footage of them sticking the electronic tags on the bees! :)

TAKeyser
04-01-2012, 08:11 PM

I thought the same thing when i read that they glued little tracking devices on them lol

skunkboy
04-01-2012, 08:17 PM
I thought the same thing when i read that they glued little tracking devices on them lol

http://www.livescience.com/17395-honeybees-head-butts-decisions.html

Someone had to daub and number these bees in second photo...

TAKeyser
04-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Someone had to daub and number these bees in second photo...

Pretty impressive hand control working on such a tiny subject

Chevette Girl
04-01-2012, 09:56 PM

I kinda thought that too ;D

Pretty impressive hand control working on such a tiny subject

Tiny and wiggly, I'm betting...

tweak'e
04-02-2012, 04:39 AM
Looks like they've finally got some research (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/common-pesticide-makes-honeybees-lost-reduces-bumblebee-hive-180639873.html)backing it up... even if the results are from experiments with much higher doses than they'd expect bees to actually encounter.

i'm not sure it qualifies as research.
they dose bees with a poison which is known to kill them and they find bees don't come back......well DOH !

what we don't know is if the bees are dieing from exposure to the plants which have been treated with the poison.

TheAlchemist
04-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I came to the same conclusion from my own very unscientific epidemiologic research years ago. Went to Greenfest. Talked to all the bee keepers. "Traditional" bee keepers had lost 1/3 to 1/2 their hives. Organic farmers all said "We don't know what all the fuss is about. Our hives are fine."

Chevette Girl
04-02-2012, 03:12 PM
How can "organic" beekeepers be so sure that their bees aren't going anywhere near anything that's been sprayed, I wonder?

TAKeyser
04-02-2012, 05:28 PM
How can "organic" beekeepers be so sure that their bees aren't going anywhere near anything that's been sprayed, I wonder?

Little tiny leashes to go along with the little tiny tracking devices ;D

Soyala_Amaya
04-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Without being facetious (TAKeyser :p) I would say simple math based on how far they know a bee travels on average. If they are certain that all of the farmland in so many square miles around their hives are organic, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet their bees are getting organic pollen without all the nasties. Take into condition drought years, runoff, and the occasional anamoly of course...but that's for smarter people than me.

Chevette Girl
04-02-2012, 07:12 PM
i'm not sure it qualifies as research.
they dose bees with a poison which is known to kill them and they find bees don't come back......well DOH !

what we don't know is if the bees are dieing from exposure to the plants which have been treated with the poison.

It is research, the same way they do research by dumping huge amounts of cosmetics and cleaning agents into rabbits' eyes to estimate what it will do in human eyes. Overdo it and see what happens, you can likely assume that smaller doses cause similar but likely less potent results.

TAKeyser
04-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Without being facetious (TAKeyser :p) I would say simple math based on how far they know a bee travels on average. If they are certain that all of the farmland in so many square miles around their hives are organic, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet their bees are getting organic pollen without all the nasties. Take into condition drought years, runoff, and the occasional anamoly of course...but that's for smarter people than me.

tiny little leashes would be much cuter

Altricious
04-02-2012, 08:01 PM
tiny little leashes would be much cuter

Can you imagine the tangle?
I have this vision of a bee-walker like the silly dog-walkers in the movies.

tweak'e
04-03-2012, 03:03 AM
It is research, the same way they do research by dumping huge amounts of cosmetics and cleaning agents into rabbits' eyes to estimate what it will do in human eyes. Overdo it and see what happens, you can likely assume that smaller doses cause similar but likely less potent results.
no, not even remotely.
point is they are testing something that they already know what the result is. its a bit of pointless research.
its like putting a cosmetic that irritates peoples eyes into rabbits eyes to see if it irritates peoples eyes!

I came to the same conclusion from my own very unscientific epidemiologic research years ago. Went to Greenfest. Talked to all the bee keepers. "Traditional" bee keepers had lost 1/3 to 1/2 their hives. Organic farmers all said "We don't know what all the fuss is about. Our hives are fine."

sadly that doesn't pinpoint any cause(s). its doesn't rule out pesticides as a cause and vice versa.
theres beekeepers who do organic mite treatment methods in non-organic areas and there bees have a very good success rate.

imho the Neonicotinoids is simply an easy target. its far more likely that CCD is simply bees response to virus problems and poor bee health mostly due to poor varroa control.