PDA

View Full Version : Girl's Got Toys!!

Honey
04-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Woot - woot! Just came home to two big packages from the brewing store... getting out my widget now (geez this is more fun than Christmas, lol)

Honey

Deacon Aegis
04-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Woot - woot! Just came home to two big packages from the brewing store... getting out my widget now (geez this is more fun than Christmas, lol)

Honey

LOL, I know how that feels. When I started all of this (about a month ago), my wife asked me what it would take and about how much it might cost... I suggested it would run about $200 to really get started... Well to say the least, I'm probably pushing somewhere close to $700 or $800 dollars into things, including honey. Hmmm, three five gallon carboys, three one gallon carboys, one 6.5 gallon carboy, all the tools, chemistry, cleaning and sterilizing stuff, and of course, the honey... It has definately felt like Christmas around here. Speaking of which, I need to find her something really awesome for Christmas this year... I think I spent mine. Hehe

Honey
04-03-2012, 06:44 PM
lol - I know!

I ordered a bunch of one gallon carboys and a fermenting bucket (2 gal). I hope that wasn't a mistake but I was worried that I wouldn't be able to lift a 5 or 6 gallon carboy... I'm in the process now of cleaning out the back bedroom for my "fermenting" room (nothing like a little incentive to finally get THAT room cleaned up!)

Honey

TAKeyser
04-03-2012, 06:56 PM
lol - I know!

I ordered a bunch of one gallon carboys and a fermenting bucket (2 gal). I hope that wasn't a mistake but I was worried that I wouldn't be able to lift a 5 or 6 gallon carboy... I'm in the process now of cleaning out the back bedroom for my "fermenting" room (nothing like a little incentive to finally get THAT room cleaned up!)

Honey

If the room is carpeted you may want to hit the dollar store for some of those large tinfoil lasagna pans to sit the carboys in just in case you get a little overflow. Won't catch a big explosion, but it'll catch those minor overflows that sometimes occur when the mead gets into the airlock and starts to come out.

Deacon Aegis
04-03-2012, 06:57 PM
lol - I know!

Honey

LOL, yeah I've been doing a lot more house cleaning to try to get back on the wife's good side. Hehe, actually she's being very cool about everything, especially since she doesn't drink at all. (Allergic to brewer's yeast) Sad that I'll have to drink all this mead myself... Ah the humanity!

Anyway, good luck with your fermenting there and welcome to the addiction! ;D

Medsen Fey
04-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Speaking of which, I need to find her something really awesome for Christmas this year... I think I spent mine. Hehe

Sweet mead perhaps? :)

TAKeyser
04-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Speaking of which, I need to find her something really awesome for Christmas this year... I think I spent mine. Hehe

Better yet get started on a Chocolate Covered Strawberry Mead for next Valentines Day ;)

Deacon Aegis
04-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Sweet mead perhaps? :)

I wish! She doesn't drink because of an allergy to brewer's yeast (wierd allergy) but I figure I'll take her to DragonCon this year and do the Renaissance fair a couple of times this year and maybe build her a leather corset or something in an attempt to show her appreciation. My wife is a geeky gamer girl into steampunk, renaissance stuff, and role playing, what can I say? LOL

skunkboy
04-03-2012, 07:06 PM
lol - I know!

Honey

3 gallon carboys are a nice size between 1 gallon and 5 gallon. Still small enough for most people to live without much effort, and big enough to yield a nice volume.

Altricious
04-03-2012, 07:07 PM
She doesn't drink because of an allergy to brewer's yeast (wierd allergy)

Allergic to baker's yeast too?

TAKeyser
04-03-2012, 07:09 PM
3 gallon carboys are a nice size between 1 gallon and 5 gallon. Still small enough for most people to live without much effort, and big enough to yield a nice volume.

I think I use my 3 gallons the most

skunkboy
04-03-2012, 07:17 PM
I think I use my 3 gallons the most

Yeah, I don't use my 6 gallon carboys much anymore, except ferment 5 gallons of beer.

TAKeyser
04-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I don't use my 6 gallon carboys much anymore, except ferment 5 gallons of beer.

The 6 gallon pretty much went into retirement when the basement became the storage area. Not lugging that thing up and down 20 stairs.

veritas
04-03-2012, 08:33 PM

I actually like my six a lot. Its a great step from my bucket then a rack with loss into my 5. Head space works out. I could actually use a few more six or six five carboys. Then again I am the human version of the honey badger so lifting them is nothing!

Chevette Girl
04-03-2012, 10:31 PM
I vastly prefer working with 3-gal carboys. They give you enough yield that there's enough to share and to let age... I CAN lift the 5-6 gal ones but I need help lifting a full fermentation bucket onto the counter for racking. Normally I let my 5-6 gal carboys sit empty unless something exciting happens or I want to make a wine kit, but last year there was a really good wild grape harvest, a really good apple cider run and I've been trying to get fruit out of my freezer and into wine bottles, so big batches just kept happening, I've only got one empty 6 gal right now! and I've also got a bunch of 3-gal carboys tied up with stuff that just refuses to clear...

fivecats
04-03-2012, 11:04 PM
I wish! She doesn't drink because of an allergy to brewer's yeast (wierd allergy) but I figure I'll take her to DragonCon this year and do the Renaissance fair a couple of times this year and maybe build her a leather corset or something in an attempt to show her appreciation. My wife is a geeky gamer girl into steampunk, renaissance stuff, and role playing, what can I say? LOL

If she's a geeky gamer (like me) she might like it if you made her some games from the BoardGameGeek Print n Play listings. There's a great list of redesigns with professional grade artwork (http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/70480/item/1780012) for you to go through. You're bound to find a few games there that might make her smile -- especially if you're willing to play with her.

(If you're interested in getting started PM me and I can help you get started.)

Chevette Girl
04-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Or just about anything from ThinkGeek :D

A friend of ours got me a D-20 that blinks when a 20 is rolled (which almost never happens) and she got my hubby a set of large foam polyhedral dice so you can whip them at people without doing damage...

I picked up some jade D-6's from the museum gift shop while on our honeymoon...

(and now for a shameless plug that nobody will take seriously anyway) Real armour? (http://www.southtower.on.ca/armour/index.html) We do sexy armour (http://www.southtower.on.ca/Princess%27s%20Dressing%20Room/Princess%27sDressingRoom.html)too... we're currently making Clyde Caldwell's "Dragora's Dungeon" armour a reality...

TheAlchemist
04-04-2012, 05:03 PM

I can see where you're going with this question...JAO!!!

Matrix4b
04-04-2012, 05:29 PM
One thing that I learned in the course of brewing that My wife loves. Homemade Vanilla Extract. It's very easy. Also many other extracts can be made. No yeast needed. Just rum or vodka and a jar. I am in the process of making some hazlenut extract for use in my Pumpkin Hazelnut mead that's in it's secondary. I roasted up some hazelnuts in the oven, raw on a sheet or pan for 20 min at 350 degrees. Then put it through the coffee grinder and then into a jar with the white rum. Dee-Lish.

My wife is a diabetic and Can't drink much due to meds. But she does like to bake a little and loves it when I make some french toast with real homemade vanilla extract. And it will give excuse to buy vanilla beans in bulk (it's much cheaper, check amazon.com for grade b vanilla beans).

My wife's a bit geeky in the gamer geek variety too. Loves Dragons.

Trust me the Homemade Vanilla Extract is Awesome. A must for anyone that bakes even a little.

As far as brewing. Perhapse some of the other yeasts out there will do. Beer yeast and wine yeast are different, she might not be alergic to all varieties. I like the idea of baker's yeast. It will produce a lower ABV% though but hey I brew for taste not potency.

Matrix

Deacon Aegis
04-04-2012, 05:45 PM

Surprisingly no... Hmmm, I wonder if she'd drink a JAO if it was made without brewer's yeast or if the allergy is actually due to an enzyme-level variance that alcohol produces in the yeast during the fermentation process. Thing is, she doesn't drink and doesn't want to, so even if I give her a reason to not be allergic to it, it could be a battle to get her to try something like the JAO... though it is a thought, mwahahaha

Deacon Aegis
04-04-2012, 05:47 PM
If she's a geeky gamer (like me) she might like it if you made her some games from the BoardGameGeek Print n Play listings. There's a great list of redesigns with professional grade artwork (http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/70480/item/1780012) for you to go through. You're bound to find a few games there that might make her smile -- especially if you're willing to play with her.

(If you're interested in getting started PM me and I can help you get started.)

I'll take a look at it. She does like board games and some card games, though I'm not the biggest fan myself, but let me check it out and I'll get back with you. ;D

Altricious
04-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Surprisingly no... Hmmm, I wonder if she'd drink a JAO if it was made without brewer's yeast or if the allergy is actually due to an enzyme-level variance that alcohol produces in the yeast during the fermentation process. Thing is, she doesn't drink and doesn't want to, so even if I give her a reason to not be allergic to it, it could be a battle to get her to try something like the JAO... though it is a thought, mwahahaha

You know, some people protest against drinking with one reason when the real reason is entirely different. If she honestly doesn't WANT to, that's different than CAN'T, and it's totally ok. It's like the sweet potato derailment yesterday; no need to fix anyone.

As a weird side note, being a girl, I can vouch for the fact that sometimes consuming something that contains live yeast (not just fermented beverages) can upset my.. um... balance and increase yeast activity in places I DO NOT WANT. Just sayin'. Biology is a funny thing. If something doesn't agree with it, best not to poke the sleeping bear.

Deacon Aegis
04-04-2012, 06:25 PM
You know, some people protest against drinking with one reason when the real reason is entirely different. If she honestly doesn't WANT to, that's different than CAN'T, and it's totally ok. It's like the sweet potato derailment yesterday; no need to fix anyone.

As a weird side note, being a girl, I can vouch for the fact that sometimes consuming something that contains live yeast (not just fermented beverages) can upset my.. um... balance and increase yeast activity in places I DO NOT WANT. Just sayin'. Biology is a funny thing. If something doesn't agree with it, best not to poke the sleeping bear.

Oh I completely understand and agree. That's why I'm not putting any pressure on her to do drink or do anything of that like nor do I ever give her grief about it or even playfully raz her over it. Over time, that sort of thing can build up into a pressure all of its own and turn from innocent jesting into something that is not good, so really this is a non-issue between us. I do understand the whole symmetry of biological impact as well and who knows, that may be the whys and wherefor's. Eh, more mead for me, just hate getting this involved in something that she's not really at all into, you know, but I am definitely enjoying making mead. ;D

Chevette Girl
04-04-2012, 10:35 PM
We have a dozen people in our gaming group right now, and I think there are 4 of us who will have a drink now and then. Of the people I associate with regularly, a few can't drink because of meds they're on, some more are really sensitive to tannins and have actual allergies to certain fruits, one now gets migraines from even a little bit of mead or wine or beer or booze, another's diabetic and shouldn't have much alcohol, another never tried it at all because of the number of alcoholics in her family, and I have at least three other friends who just don't like the taste of anything alcoholic. <shrug> They're welcome to try anything I offer, and they're just as welcome not to. More for me that way :D

Deacon Aegis, it's very interesting that your wife would have problems with brewer's yeast and not baker's yeast. My friend's sister developed an allergy to yeast and apparently now she's supposed to avoid anything made with yeast, which includes not only alcohol and breads but also soy sauce and vinegar... what a bland existence... Go ahead and brew a JAO, all you can do is offer it to her and understand if she's not interested.

I have other friends who now can't have things they used to really like, so I try to make it so they can (gluten-free baking, sugar free baking, allergy avoidance in cooking and baking, etc), it's a fun challenge for me and often appreciated by them.

But as a friend of mine who's grown out of nut allergies told me, you do form negative associations with tastes, so even though she could eat some types of nuts now, she just doesn't enjoy the taste... and having developed a mild allergy to hazelnuts myself (in my 20's of all stupid things), even if I were suddenly to be not allergic to them, the taste will still ring all my "Ack, do I have Benadryl?" alarm bells probably for years to come.

And Altricious, I TOTALLY understand. This is from over ten years' experience with systemic candidasis (and for those of you out there who know about these things, no it has not left me gluten OR lactose intolerant, thank the gods), but I haven't let it get in the way of wine and meadmaking. Or breadmaking from scratch. The answer (for me, anyway) is yogurt and not letting your sugar levels get too high. Oddly enough, for me the consumption of live yeast (from oh, say, hydrometer test tubes... or raw bread dough...) is nowhere near the problem that overindulging in sugar is. If you eat a live culture yogurt with your sugar, the yogurt eats the sugar before the yeast (which is usually already present in most people's systems) can get to it. Sure beats the anti-candida diet (which is just cruel and unusual punishment).

Matrix4b
04-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Also, so totally understand about not wanting to drink. As I said, not much of a drinker myself. Usually only at a party and only one or two. I love sharing it. But seriously, Learning to brew mead has taught me many other skills. Skills that enhance the brewing and the like. Making extracts is the one that I mentioned. Those are most easily shared with people that don't drink. I even made some non-alcoholic vanilla extract for a friend that is an alcoholic and can't drink. I used gliserine. (Just know I spelled it wrong). Also, you can learn to put various flavors together and have an idea on what it tastes like. Need to to make many different flavored meads. This helps in cooking and making teas. Once you have the patients to brew a Meglathin or a Mel then you have all kinds of skills and if given a recipie can make an awesome cook. Now, I am not a good cook but if I am given a recipie and some technique knowledge then I can make something very yummy that is sure to get me compliments.

Though some may disapprove, for the skill set and the knowledge and the like I am considering teaching a friends 14 year old how to make mead and extracts and the like. I also figure that when she goes to college she will have the expirience to be extreemly popular at the parties and the like. Also, the patients learned will help out with studying and the like. Who knows? No, I don't plan on getting said 14 year old drunk. But she may be allowed to sample mine and her creations as long as it's only a shot or a glass, with supervision. This is all with parental approval. I wish that I had learned to brew in high school. It would have made college much easier for me and more fun.

The point is, Brewing is not just a hobbie that has only one application: make alcoholic beverages. It can be a bounding point to MUCH more.

Matrix

TAKeyser
04-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Though some may disapprove, for the skill set and the knowledge and the like I am considering teaching a friends 14 year old how to make mead and extracts and the like. I also figure that when she goes to college she will have the expirience to be extreemly popular at the parties and the like. Also, the patients learned will help out with studying and the like. Who knows? No, I don't plan on getting said 14 year old drunk. But she may be allowed to sample mine and her creations as long as it's only a shot or a glass, with supervision. This is all with parental approval. I wish that I had learned to brew in high school. It would have made college much easier for me and more fun.

The point is, Brewing is not just a hobbie that has only one application: make alcoholic beverages. It can be a bounding point to MUCH more.

Matrix

My 7 year old nephew helps me make mead all the time and loves learning the different aspects of science involved. I think it's a great learning experience for them. And yeah he does get a sample of the first couple times we pull some out for a Gravity reading when the alcohol is still low. He loved the Bochet.

Altricious
04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
If you eat a live culture yogurt with your sugar, the yogurt eats the sugar before the yeast (which is usually already present in most people's systems) can get to it.

That's great, except that despite my love of all things dairy, I find yogurt to be among the grossest things on earth. In fact, I'm pretty sure the yogurt culture negates every dairy aspect that I like. Also, those stupid Activia commercials drive me nuts. Of course you won't be constipated if you eat yogurt 3 times a day. You'd be lucky not to have to poop 5 times a day eating that much yogurt. Crazy people.

*shrug* I usually find the right balance of things and it's not straight sugar so much as fresh bread that gives me fits. Man, there's nothing like fresh homemade bread is there? I just have to remember moderation and I'm OK.

Deacon Aegis
04-05-2012, 01:39 PM
That's great, except that despite my love of all things dairy, I find yogurt to be among the grossest things on earth. In fact, I'm pretty sure the yogurt culture negates every dairy aspect that I like. Also, those stupid Activia commercials drive me nuts. Of course you won't be constipated if you eat yogurt 3 times a day. You'd be lucky not to have to poop 5 times a day eating that much yogurt. Crazy people.

*shrug* I usually find the right balance of things and it's not straight sugar so much as fresh bread that gives me fits. Man, there's nothing like fresh homemade bread is there? I just have to remember moderation and I'm OK.

Yogurt! Yogurt! I hate yogurt, even with strawberries. - Dark Helmet

(couldn't help it. LOL) :director2:

HunnyBunz
04-05-2012, 01:57 PM

My wife has been very susceptible to really bad kidney infections ever since giving birth to our 2nd son. Of course, the doctor put her on massive antibiotics which he told her would only be a temporary solution (every time the infection came back - more antibiotics). This of course destroyed her immune system so she began taking suppliments with acidophilus, bifidus, and other probiotics. They not only helped to rebuild her immune system but also helped to keep the infections at bay.

I don't know if suppliments would work like yogurt in the way that Chevette mentioned, but they might be helpful in other ways as an effective substitute for the dreaded yogurt. :)

Altricious
04-05-2012, 03:24 PM
My wife has been very susceptible to really bad kidney infections ever since giving birth to our 2nd son. Of course, the doctor put her on massive antibiotics which he told her would only be a temporary solution (every time the infection came back - more antibiotics). This of course destroyed her immune system so she began taking suppliments with acidophilus, bifidus, and other probiotics. They not only helped to rebuild her immune system but also helped to keep the infections at bay.

I don't know if suppliments would work like yogurt in the way that Chevette mentioned, but they might be helpful in other ways as an effective substitute for the dreaded yogurt. :)

Yeah, it's a bad idea to kill off everything living in your gut. My digestion is just fine though. Like most people, I only have a problem when I overindulge. You know, like when I make bread from my lees and eat an entire loaf for lunch (still warm from the oven... mmmmmm). And then do it again the next day. Sometimes it's just so hard to say no.

HunnyBunz
04-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah, it's a bad idea to kill off everything living in your gut. My digestion is just fine though. Like most people, I only have a problem when I overindulge. You know, like when I make bread from my lees and eat an entire loaf for lunch (still warm from the oven... mmmmmm). And then do it again the next day. Sometimes it's just so hard to say no.

I used to work as a baker (for about 18 years) and my favorites were always the breads & croissants way more than the sweet stuff. Nothing like fresh warm bread! And no, I never baked at home. I like to cook sometimes but baking is too much work. :rolleyes:

Just an observation, but I can't help but be amused at how quickly this thread went from "Girl's got toys" to yeast allergies. lol Welcome to the world of hijacked threads Honey. I hope all of your questions were addressed. Still a lot of good info though, and I appreciated Matrix4b's insightfulness!

Altricious
04-05-2012, 04:19 PM
I used to work as a baker (for about 18 years) and my favorites were always the breads & croissants way more than the sweet stuff. Nothing like fresh warm bread! And no, I never baked at home. I like to cook sometimes but baking is too much work. :rolleyes:

Just an observation, but I can't help but be amused at how quickly this thread went from "Girl's got toys" to yeast allergies. lol Welcome to the world of hijacked threads Honey. I hope all of your questions were addressed. Still a lot of good info though, and I appreciated Matrix4b's insightfulness!

Well, you have to admit that any thread titled "Girl's got toys" was begging for a derailment. It could have been much, much worse.

fatbloke
04-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Well, too sort of bring the thread back on track......

I too have a couple of 5's, but they're a doddle, compared to the 2 x 54litre carboys I have. Full up, they're a real ball breaker, even for a 6'4" 260lb trucker.........

You soon learn that what can't be lifted, can be moved in other ways i.e. pumped.....

And as for the yeast allergy, surely, if bacteria sized stuff can be filtered, and yeast are larger, then sterile filtration should do the trick......

HunnyBunz
04-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Well, you have to admit that any thread titled "Girl's got toys" was begging for a derailment. It could have been much, much worse.

Yeah, I thought of that too. But, I knew if I said anything I would just get myself in trouble - which I do way too often anyway. ;D

Altricious
04-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I thought of that too. But, I knew if I said anything I would just get myself in trouble - which I do way too often anyway. ;D

You are not alone there. I really had to bite my tongue.

Deacon Aegis
04-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Gah! I'm really, really sorry for hijacking the thread back there. I didn't mean to! As for girls got toys, ahem... Carboy toys, that's the ticket!

There once was a man from nantucket, who fermented some honey in a bucket.
He went to rack over, but was confounded by the procedure..
And upon asking was told he should suck it...

(The racking cane that is, to get the transfer going.... errr yeah, then an argument broke out :))

The forums lit up with debates about the muck that could be,
If mouth was used to start flowing the juice, from fermentor to secondary;
Spinning was he, to get that mead out of the primary,
That he broke down and spent even more money.

(For an autosiphon! Indeed!)

Well he ran to the brew store where he found his new toy,
And soon he was back sterilizing so he could rack...
His mead from his bucket to his carboy.
Now that that's said, we can safely not dread, that we've somehow gotten off track!

(Yay, I'm back on track with the thread! ;D)

Chevette Girl
04-06-2012, 11:46 PM
You'd be lucky not to have to poop 5 times a day eating that much yogurt. Crazy people.

I don't watch TV so I have no idea what the Activia people say, although I've never had that kind of effect from yogurt and some days I have eaten a LOT, but hey, every body's different. Acidophalus lactobacillus supplements do the same thing and have a higher bacteria count than yogurt. I just happened to have developed a taste for the stuff.

SO much worse. This is me, being good. See? Good Chevette Girl.

There once was a man from nantucket, who fermented some honey in a bucket.
He went to rack over, but was confounded by the procedure..
And upon asking was told he should suck it...

(The racking cane that is, to get the transfer going.... errr yeah, then an argument broke out :))

The forums lit up with debates about the muck that could be,
If mouth was used to start flowing the juice, from fermentor to secondary;
Spinning was he, to get that mead out of the primary,
That he broke down and spent even more money.

(For an autosiphon! Indeed!)

Well he ran to the brew store where he found his new toy,
And soon he was back sterilizing so he could rack...
His mead from his bucket to his carboy.
Now that that's said, we can safely not dread, that we've somehow gotten off track!

(Yay, I'm back on track with the thread! ;D)

Bravo!!! :hello2:

Penguinetti
04-10-2012, 01:00 PM

I'd say 'much much worse' is really subjective... :tongue:

... I'll bow out now...

Altricious
04-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I'd say 'much much worse' is really subjective... :tongue:

... I'll bow out now...

Perhaps I should have said far more tasteless? Potentially offensive?

I'm really doing my best not to be as bad as I'd like to be right now and I'm trying to ignore that tongue. It's soooo hard.

HunnyBunz
04-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm really doing my best not to be as bad as I'd like to be right now and I'm trying to ignore that tongue. It's soooo hard.

How bad would you like to be?? Now you've got me thinking bad. Not that I wasn't already, but you're encouraging me. Stop it!

Altricious
04-10-2012, 04:17 PM
How bad would you like to be?? Now you've got me thinking bad. Not that I wasn't already, but you're encouraging me. Stop it!

My uncensored mind is not fit for a public forum.

Also, I will always encourage more of the same from others.

TAKeyser
04-10-2012, 04:19 PM
In addition to this "Girl's Got Toys" thread there's also one called "Got Wood", what is this forum turning into lol

Altricious
04-10-2012, 04:39 PM
In addition to this "Girl's Got Toys" thread there's also one called "Got Wood", what is this forum turning into lol

Clearly you're my kind of people.

skunkboy
04-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Hmm.... wood eh....

http://cacileeanight.deviantart.com/art/We-Trade-Sheep-For-Wood-195126988

My nerd is showing ... :)

Deacon Aegis
04-10-2012, 08:10 PM

LOL, it's like those old Enzyte commercials... "This is Bob, he's learning how to work with wood..." ROFL

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Perhaps I should have said far more tasteless? Potentially offensive?

Haha... you said 'hard'. Yea, my wife can't ignore it either. :o

Haha, on another forum I'm on, it went from being a straight car forum to half the people only on their to make jokes of the tasteless nature. It's pretty funny.

Clearly you're my kind of people.

I'm glad to know there are people just as raunchy and uncensored as me and my crew.

LOL, it's like those old Enzyte commercials... "This is Bob, he's learning how to work with wood..." ROFL

Haha... you said 'work'.

... wait a minute...

On a separate, more innocent type of toys note, my wife came home to find a bassinet sitting in our bedroom, next to the bed. She coo'ed.

On a more 'back on topic' type of note, I just received a gift of my own from an old guy that I work with. Apparently, he tried brewing back in the day, and didn't do anything with it, so he had an old table bottle capper lying around at his house. He brought it in. The gears needed a little cleaning, and the rubber mat the bottle sits on was coming off the metal, so my buddy joe took it home, cleaned the gears, glued the mat, and repainted all the metal. I now have a new used table bottle capper. It says supreme down the side.

So... Boy's got Toys too! ;D

Altricious
04-11-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm glad to know there are people just as raunchy and uncensored as me and my crew.

Why do I feel like any party involving the group at large would generally get out of hand in the first hour?

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Why do I feel like any party involving the group at large would generally get out of hand in the first hour?

Fun fact I once heard back in high school:

Boys think of sex every 3 seconds, and girls think of sex every 7 seconds.

I don't know how true it is, but I know how often I think of sex...

... so... I think it could be true, possibly even a little conservative...

Altricious
04-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Fun fact I once heard back in high school:

Boys think of sex every 3 seconds, and girls think of sex every 7 seconds.

I don't know how true it is, but I know how often I think of sex...

... so... I think it could be true, possibly even a little conservative...

I've never met a guy who thought of sex more often than me. So, I think those numbers are skewed and grossly underestimated. Of course, the girl numbers are low because "good" girls don't admit to how often they think of sex.

Chevette Girl
04-11-2012, 03:36 PM
I've never met a guy who thought of sex more often than me. So, I think those numbers are skewed and grossly underestimated. Of course, the girl numbers are low because "good" girls don't admit to how often they think of sex.

I oughtta introduce you to my husband :rolleyes:

But really, it's not how often it goes through your head but how often it comes out your mouth that shows whether you're being good or not ;D

Altricious
04-11-2012, 04:16 PM

But really, it's not how often it goes through your head but how often it comes out your mouth that shows whether you're being good or not ;D

Comes out, or goes in?

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 04:38 PM

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/funny-pictures-challenge-accepted2.jpg

and my wife could vouch for me.

Comes out, or goes in?

Technically both.

Repeatedly.

Altricious
04-11-2012, 04:47 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/funny-pictures-challenge-accepted2.jpg

and my wife could vouch for me.

Technically both.

Repeatedly.

I, um, feel like I'm about to get myself in trouble.

Perhaps I should put on the muzzle for a few.

Chevette Girl
04-11-2012, 04:50 PM
I, um, feel like I'm about to get myself in trouble.

Perhaps I should put on the muzzle for a few.

We do custom leatherwork...:rolleyes:

trying sooo hard not to cross the line by mentioning other appropriate equipment for impeding speech...

Altricious
04-11-2012, 04:55 PM

trying sooo hard not to cross the line by mentioning other appropriate equipment for impeding speech...

You might as well go there. We're all thinking of them already.

(PS. Do I get any points for bringing the conversation back to toys?)

HunnyBunz
04-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Just wanted to say that I thought about jumping into this conversation, but then I was afraid that between the 4 of us things would really start going south. Umm... Well, you know what I mean.

Altricious
04-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Just wanted to say that I thought about jumping into this conversation, but then I was afraid that between the 4 of us things would really start going south. Umm... Well, you know what I mean.

Oh, so when you get things going you like to go south?

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 05:11 PM

You might as well go there. We're all thinking of them already.

(PS. Do I get any points for bringing the conversation back to toys?)

I think its funny that we all say 'we'd hate to cross the line' or 'we're trying so hard to filter ourselves'. By saying that, we're really negating the 'not' and 'filter'.:icon_tongue:

In either case, leatherwork... right on!;D

And you do get points for bringing it to toys. Speaking of toys, here's the one I talked about previously:
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k543/PenguinSub/2012-04-11170544.jpg

I'm really just very excited that it was free.

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 05:12 PM

Who doesn't?

Altricious
04-11-2012, 05:16 PM
I think its funny that we all say 'we'd hate to cross the line' or 'we're trying so hard to filter ourselves'. By saying that, we're really negating the 'not' and 'filter'.:icon_tongue:

In either case, leatherwork... right on!;D

And you do get points for bringing it to toys. Speaking of toys, here's the one I talked about previously:
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k543/PenguinSub/2012-04-11170544.jpg

I'm really just very excited that it was free.

Free stuff is exciting. However, I see your blood donor card sitting next to it. Are you anticipating an accident?

HunnyBunz
04-11-2012, 05:18 PM

SEE! I knew you would think that! And I was trying to be good.:angel1:

Penguinetti - Cool bottle capper! My parents used to have one in the garage when I was a kid, buts it's been long gone decades ago.

Altricious
04-11-2012, 05:21 PM

If you really wanted to be good, you wouldn't have set me up like that.

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Free stuff is exciting. However, I see your blood donor card sitting next to it. Are you anticipating an accident?

You never know. I've been hurt worse by less obvious situations...

Penguinetti - Cool bottle capper! My parents used to have one in the garage when I was a kid, buts it's been long gone decades ago.

Good and bad; completely synonymous here.

Thanks! When you say long gone, you mean they tossed it, sold it, or gave it to a relative who'd be willing to give it back to you?

HunnyBunz
04-11-2012, 05:24 PM
If you really wanted to be good, you wouldn't have set me up like that.

That's called sarcasm. And I didn't mean good as in behavior, I meant as in skilled.

Altricious
04-11-2012, 05:25 PM
You never know. I've been hurt worse by less obvious situations...

Of course, now that I know your real name from the card I can stalk you. AND since I know your blood type, I can sell your info to the kidney thieves.

Altricious
04-11-2012, 05:26 PM
That's called sarcasm. And I didn't mean good as in behavior, I meant as in skilled.

Are you claiming to be a cunning linguist? ;)

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Of course, now that I know your real name from the card I can stalk you. AND since I know your blood type, I can sell your info to the kidney thieves.

Don't threaten me with a good time! :cool:

And besides, who needs kidneys anyways.

HunnyBunz
04-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Are you claiming to be a cunning linguist? ;)

Indeed. That reminds me of the SNL where "Colonel Angus" comes home from the war and everyone says his name with a southern drawl.

And I think the bottle capper got tossed or sold when they moved.

On a dumb note: I've never been able to figure out how to quote from several different posts. (I'm better at linguistics than computers.) ;D

Altricious
04-11-2012, 05:40 PM
On a dumb note: I've never been able to figure out how to quote from several different posts. (I'm better at linguistics than computers.) ;D

There's a handy button for that on each post. Lower right corner, middle button.

HunnyBunz
04-11-2012, 05:46 PM
There's a handy button for that on each post. Lower right corner, middle button.

O.K. So I just click the multi-quote button for each post I want. Doh! I've tried that before but I think I was trying to do something different and when the plus sign changed to minus it confused me. :confused:

Thanks.

Altricious
04-11-2012, 05:58 PM
O.K. So I just click the multi-quote button for each post I want. Doh! I've tried that before but I think I was trying to do something different and when the plus sign changed to minus it confused me. :confused:

Thanks.

Yep, then when you've selected everything you can hit reply and they should be there.

It's ok to be confused. We all have those days. Blame it on all the sex thoughts.

HunnyBunz
04-11-2012, 06:14 PM
It's ok to be confused. We all have those days. Blame it on all the sex thoughts.

That works for me. I wish I could use that in everyday life, but most of the time I can't admit to it.

Deacon Aegis
04-11-2012, 06:26 PM

Wow Chevette Girl, y'all do custom leather work? So do I! I run a company called Aegis Steamcraft LLC. I do leather work for steampunk, renaissance fair, sci-fi, and wild west associated affecianados. Lots of belts and holster rigs, sword scabbards, pouches and that sort of stuff. I'm thinking about getting into moccassin and boot work like the Sod Hoppers sort of stuff. Small world, eh? I tend to avoid doing the naughty things though. And that's what I'll claim publicly. Mwahaha :)

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 08:16 PM

That works for me. I wish I could use that in everyday life, but most of the time I can't admit to it.

Even when I do admit to it, most people just shake their heads and say ''that's not good enough''.

They pause. Then smirk. And then add, "that's the best we've had".

Wow Chevette Girl, y'all do custom leather work? So do I! I run a company called Aegis Steamcraft LLC. I do leather work for steampunk, renaissance fair, sci-fi, and wild west associated affecianados. Lots of belts and holster rigs, sword scabbards, pouches and that sort of stuff. I'm thinking about getting into moccassin and boot work like the Sod Hoppers sort of stuff. Small world, eh? I tend to avoid doing the naughty things though. And that's what I'll claim publicly. Mwahaha :)

Where were all you guys when I was LARPing...

ChadK
04-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Where were all you guys when I was LARPing...

Were you a boffer? When I was LARPing it was all about The Masquerade.

ChadK
04-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Yep, then when you've selected everything you can hit reply and they should be there.

Yay! Even my non-mead questions are answered already if I look enough. (or just stumble upon them in a thread I was expecting to be titillating.)

Altricious
04-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Yay! Even my non-mead questions are answered already if I look enough. (or just stumble upon them in a thread I was expecting to be titillating.)

We can get back to titillating if you like. ;)

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Were you a boffer? When I was LARPing it was all about The Masquerade.

I was. I was a dwarf with a big wielding double headed axe, a single headed axe, and lots more stuff. You know, typical dwarf.

Gotmead: where all your questions are answered

We can get back to titillating if you like. ;)

mmm... you said illating.

Chevette Girl
04-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Wow Chevette Girl, y'all do custom leather work? So do I! Small world, eh? I tend to avoid doing the naughty things though. And that's what I'll claim publicly. Mwahaha :)

The company I work for, we are actually more metalworkers (armours and such) but we've got the supplies and skills to do everything but the tooling when it comes to leather. My battle armour has a leather skirt instead of tassets. And we'd actually like to get into more of the naughty things, we figure that crowd's gotta have more money than the LARPers ;D, plus we got stiffed by our last jousting armour order...

I was. I was a dwarf with a big wielding double headed axe, a single headed axe, and lots more stuff. You know, typical dwarf.

Typical dwarf... Compensating for something. :D

Deacon Aegis
04-12-2012, 02:50 AM
The company I work for, we are actually more metalworkers (armours and such) but we've got the supplies and skills to do everything but the tooling when it comes to leather. My battle armour has a leather skirt instead of tassets. And we'd actually like to get into more of the naughty things, we figure that crowd's gotta have more money than the LARPers ;D, plus we got stiffed by our last jousting armour order...

Very cool. Yeah I understand focusing on a group that has some disposable income. That's kinda why I'm centered on the Steampunk group for now, it helps that I do enjoy the asthetic. I think I'd enjoy the Renaissance group as much, if not a tad more, but the market there is pretty saturated right now and many of the vendors I know that work that circuit say their profits are down by over 50 percent from a decade ago. It seems like the middle market is pretty dried up right now, so going for either low-end product, or doing the really expensive high-end stuff is the way to go. We'll see how things go in the next year or so. I'm planning on tapping into the anime set as well and market to that group of cosplayers.

Anyway, I've hijacked this thread plenty and I am sorry for that. I need to get back over to the right thread for proper hijacking priveleges or start talking about mead. Heh :/

Penguinetti
04-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Typical dwarf... Compensating for something. :D

Rofl.. yea, height. Not girth.

The company I work for, we are actually more metalworkers ...we figure that crowd's gotta have more money than the LARPers ;D, plus we got stiffed by our last jousting armour order...

Very cool.... I'm planning on tapping into the anime set as well and market to that group of cosplayers...

Heh.. yea, I was that poor LARPer who wanted to buy something but never had the money. In fact, there was one set of people who told me they could make me a throwing knives sheath that could be hidden in my beard (remember; dwarf). I thought that was pretty cool. But I didn't have the money when they were around, and they didn't come back once I had it saved.

From my understanding, anime cosplay is definitely on the rise. At least, that's what it looks like from this angle.

And yea, now that I have (albeit not much) money, I think naughty things would be what I'd buy now, seeing as how my wife might find it strange if I go out to play in the woods for 3 days again...

... But back to mead! What else did people buy / receive recently in terms of mead equipment / paraphernalia / stash / ingredients??

Matrix4b
04-12-2012, 09:43 AM
To pipe in on the non-mead stuff. I am part of a Shinai club. For those that don't know a Shinai is the 4 slat bamboo sword held together with white leather and with a circular plastic disk for a hilt. The Shinai is used in many Kendo and other martial arts practices. While we are very informal and only a small group that get's together the last saturday of each month. I acutally wield a Shinai Staff or double ended Shinai that I made myself. Unfortunately, I hold it together with masking tape wraped around the important bits. I have been wanting to upgrade into leather like the shinai but don't know how to do leather work. I figure it's going to take gromits and lacing around the bits because I don't have an "end". Anybody know how hard that would be? Oh here's our website, we are having a tournament this month that is open to all fighters, I invite you all to show up and play or just show up.

Tournament details:
4/28/12, Mission Viejo Park 3999 S Mission Pkwy Aurora, Co. 80013
$10 for individual unmodified Shinai
$10 for modified open
$20 to register a team demo.
http://mmshinaiclub.org/tournament_information.php

Good picture of a Shinai
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&biw=723&bih=347&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=DZtLRqz5ScOi5M:&imgrefurl=http://www.kormax.com/Practice%2520Swords%2520Oriental.htm&docid=O_Jvln54xuLt_M&imgurl=http://www.kormax.com/images/926731-47.jpg&w=600&h=400&ei=QduGT-6aBIqYiQLLl92tDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=143&vpy=35&dur=3345&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=164&ty=164&sig=107654243413478224727&page=3&tbnh=108&tbnw=161&start=22&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:22,i:179

Sorry for totaly Hijacking the thread. Back to mead gear:

I had a autosyphon die on me. I took out the pump tube, cut off the ends and drilled 1/4 inch holes all along it and put a string on the end, caped one end with a screen of sorts and then I have a sort of oaking wand that I made that works for glass carboys. I just fill up the wand with oak chips or cubes and drop it in. Makes for easy use for oaking in a glass carboy with the narrow neck.

Matrix

TAKeyser
04-12-2012, 10:13 AM
... But back to mead! What else did people buy / receive recently in terms of mead equipment / paraphernalia / stash / ingredients??

sadly no new equipment, but an acquaintance who knows of my Mead "Hobby" gave me 3 1/2 lbs of Star Thistle Honey yesterday. Only enough for a gallon batch, but hey it's a gallon of mead. Don't know if I want to do a traditional or a Bochet with it.

ChadK
04-12-2012, 11:23 AM
From my understanding, anime cosplay is definitely on the rise. At least, that's what it looks like from this angle.

That's cause anime girls are hawt.

Tournament details:
$10 for modified open
Matrix

Hey, that's almost walking distance from my brother's place. I just might stop by--if I remember.

Oh yeah, and this isn't this thread (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19651), so I probably oughta say something about mead equipment. After watching a link to this guy making wine in his basement, I've been wanting one of those shake siphons. Is there a reason they aren't more common in homebrewing circles? They seem quite convenient and cheap.

Deacon Aegis
04-12-2012, 12:22 PM
To pipe in on the non-mead stuff. I am part of a Shinai club. For those that don't know a Shinai is the 4 slat bamboo sword held together with white leather and with a circular plastic disk for a hilt. The Shinai is used in many Kendo and other martial arts practices. While we are very informal and only a small group that get's together the last saturday of each month. I acutally wield a Shinai Staff or double ended Shinai that I made myself. Unfortunately, I hold it together with masking tape wraped around the important bits. I have been wanting to upgrade into leather like the shinai but don't know how to do leather work. I figure it's going to take gromits and lacing around the bits because I don't have an "end". Anybody know how hard that would be? Oh here's our website, we are having a tournament this month that is open to all fighters, I invite you all to show up and play or just show up.

Tournament details:
$10 for modified open

Good picture of a Shinai
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&biw=723&bih=347&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=DZtLRqz5ScOi5M:&imgrefurl=http://www.kormax.com/Practice%2520Swords%2520Oriental.htm&docid=O_Jvln54xuLt_M&imgurl=http://www.kormax.com/images/926731-47.jpg&w=600&h=400&ei=QduGT-6aBIqYiQLLl92tDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=143&vpy=35&dur=3345&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=164&ty=164&sig=107654243413478224727&page=3&tbnh=108&tbnw=161&start=22&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:22,i:179

I had a autosyphon die on me. I took out the pump tube, cut off the ends and drilled 1/4 inch holes all along it and put a string on the end, caped one end with a screen of sorts and then I have a sort of oaking wand that I made that works for glass carboys. I just fill up the wand with oak chips or cubes and drop it in. Makes for easy use for oaking in a glass carboy with the narrow neck.

Matrix

Matrix, using leather to bind two shinai swords together in the middle may be doable, but it would be a bit of a pain to do it right and get it solid enough to actually use as sport weapons. One would probably have to splice bamboo shunts across the handles to stiffen the entire joint before wrapping it with leather. The problem with doing that is that the width of the handles would become wider. I suppose it is doable though. The end result would be kinda a Darth Maul Shinai. ;D

HunnyBunz
04-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Oh yeah, and this isn't this thread (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19651), so I probably oughta say something about mead equipment. After watching a link to this guy making wine in his basement, I've been wanting one of those shake siphons. Is there a reason they aren't more common in homebrewing circles? They seem quite convenient and cheap.

I was thinking about getting one of those too, but right now I've been wanting to get a simple hand pump degasser I saw here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z1FMHrX0Bo called a Vacu-Vin. They're made to preserve wine in opened bottles but the video shows it pulling a lot of co2 out of the must in a carboy after using a lees stirrer on a drill.

Chevette Girl
04-12-2012, 01:53 PM

Now that's a damn good idea, and now I kind of wish I hadn't thrown out my busted one!

Penguinetti
04-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Now that's a damn good idea, and now I kind of wish I hadn't thrown out my busted one!

Quick! Rummage through the trash and you can count it as a reanimated!

Chevette Girl
04-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Quick! Rummage through the trash and you can count it as a reanimated!

Oh, no, I tossed it years ago. Unlike most things that end up sitting around in my house that really should have been tossed years ago but I keep because I might find a use for it. And lo and behold, I could have used the thing I pitched, what else is new. (this is why I am an admitted pack rat)

Penguinetti
04-12-2012, 02:09 PM
:sadpanda:

Matrix4b
04-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Oh, no, I tossed it years ago. Unlike most things that end up sitting around in my house that really should have been tossed years ago but I keep because I might find a use for it. And lo and behold, I could have used the thing I pitched, what else is new. (this is why I am an admitted pack rat)

Yeah, I hadn't gotten around to throwing it out. I threw out my previous one when the problem of getting oak chips out of the glass carboy came up. A muslin hops bag works, sorta. It takes a bit of work to get it out but less than if I had loose chips. I was initially thinking on a couple of those m&m minis containers that are the slim tube but wasn't sure if it was a good grade of plastic for it. Then I thought, I have something that IS food grade that enjoys contact with the must all the time. Saw off end, sand on the handy belt sander. Drill holes, small ones but many, ended up using a dremel. Then put two holes at my top for a string and fix a screen at the bottom and boom. I suppose if I was going to make one from scratch, I would go with food grade plastic screen with a weighted disk at the bottom. The rigid screen that would roll up well and you can fuse the ends together, opening at the top and make it closeable and string to get it out of the carboy.

I am all for creating something to make something else easier, especially if it is a simple creation. Many of Enginering problems are already done for you, you just need to re-imagine the shape.

Matrix

HunnyBunz
04-12-2012, 07:34 PM

Deacon -
I was going to ask you if you know of Chuck Dorsett who also does leather work. I think he is also in Marietta, or maybe Atlanta. I've done business with him in the past and he's a super nice guy.

Deacon Aegis
04-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Deacon -
I was going to ask you if you know of Chuck Dorsett who also does leather work. I think he is also in Marietta, or maybe Atlanta. I've done business with him in the past and he's a super nice guy.

LOL, that is actually pretty amazing that you ask that. Chuck is running the local Tandy Leather Company outlet here in the Atlanta area. I owe quite a bit of thanks to him for helping me get started. There's usually not a month that goes by that I don't see him and his fine crew down there at Tandy. He did, as a matter of fact, live here in Marietta for a while, but he moved about a year ago to be closer to the shop. Now they are talking about moving the shop either late this month or early next month to a much larger location. That's really cool that you know him. The funny thing is this is the first year I've had to do all the business taxes for my little business here and so we decided to hire a CPA to handle it all. The CPA, when learning what I did asked if I knew Chuck by any chance. It seems everyone knows Chuck. He is really a great guy.

If you look for the Tandy Leather here in Atlanta, you can get their contact information and get in touch with him that way. BTW, Chuck is a heck of alot more experienced than I am in the craft and I often ask him about techniques and such. I really wish the man would run a class on crafting leather armor, as the suit he has hanging in the shop is pretty amazing. Unfortunately, he says it would take a month of weekends to teach such a class and the leather alone would be prohibitively expensive for most folks who would be interested.

Penguinetti
04-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Wow... talk about a small world...

Matrix4b
04-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Matrix, using leather to bind two shinai swords together in the middle may be doable, but it would be a bit of a pain to do it right and get it solid enough to actually use as sport weapons. One would probably have to splice bamboo shunts across the handles to stiffen the entire joint before wrapping it with leather. The problem with doing that is that the width of the handles would become wider. I suppose it is doable though. The end result would be kinda a Darth Maul Shinai. ;D

Actually, I solved that problem. How I made mine is I I overlaped the two ends to about 6 inches in, sorta like fingers. You do need to sand off the inner rib and smooth it out. I used to tape those too but I found Zip Ties (cut off end and put the fat part inside the bend) both lighter and stronger. What the result is 4 slats that go the full lenght of the Double Shinai. Then the trick is putting it together. I use the same format as the shinai. I did need to improvise and use a tsuba (that's the plastic hilt) to hold it in place and then go from one end to the other to straiten the slats and keep it in line. Then after that I tape the grip on which serves as a grip and a method of keeping it together. I want to replace the tape with leather. Oh, I did make a secondary grip where the nai-iyogi (where the leather strips hold a shinai together at the top between the tip and tsuba). The secondary grip is about a hand length.

So I made the Double Shinai or Shinai Staff but I haven't upgraded to using leather to hold it together. Makes it tough to maintanence. I need to strip the tape off, it wears out eventually. Then sand and oil the slats, then put back together. If the slats aren't in too bad of shape I don't need to take off the zip ties. But it would be nice to not rely on tape to put it together. I can get the leather but I don't know how to gromet or lace it up so that it will be easy to take off. Just loosen the laces and slide off, maintanence and then back together. Also it looks funny and not natural for it to be tape. Leather would look more profesional.

Matrix

HunnyBunz
04-13-2012, 02:12 PM
I really wish the man would run a class on crafting leather armor, as the suit he has hanging in the shop is pretty amazing.

I think I have seen the suit you are talking about. A couple years ago he had posted on his Dorsett House website pictures of a suit he had made for himself and was putting up for sale. I think it was called "dragon armour" or something like that and it was freaking incredible!

Matrix4b
04-17-2012, 01:10 PM

Tournament details:
$10 for modified open

Good picture of a Shinai

Matrix

Just FYI for those were planing on attending or participating. The Tournament has been cancled due to the lack of interest and a few other factors. We are going to try again for next year.

Matrix

ChadK
04-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Just FYI for those were planing on attending or participating. The Tournament has been cancled due to the lack of interest and a few other factors. We are going to try again for next year.

Matrix

That's a shame. I thought it would be fun to attend. Ah well, I think I might have a gig for that day anyhow.

Deacon Aegis
04-17-2012, 11:25 PM
I think I have seen the suit you are talking about. A couple years ago he had posted on his Dorsett House website pictures of a suit he had made for himself and was putting up for sale. I think it was called "dragon armour" or something like that and it was freaking incredible!

Sorry for the delayed response, I was out vending at a steampunk show this last weekend. Next weekend I'll be out at a Wheel of Time convention, called JordanCon. On the positive side of things, we had an amazing show this past weekend, selling out most of our stock and making a pretty good amount of money. On the negative side of things, I wasn't expecting things to be that wildly successful and now I haven't even got enough stock to fill a single tote and two days left to build more leather items in, which means I'm not going to get much done or out on the table for this show. That is extremely disappointing for me, as I hate not to be able to present my best at a show. Anywho, had to make a run to Tandy today to get some line 21 snaps and told Chuck that someone from Salem, Oregon mentioned his name on a mead-making website. He just chuckled and started trying to guess your name... I figure he probably doesn't know anyone named HunnyBunz... Hehe

Anyway, I'm off to get some rest and nurse a finger I smashed trying to rush some leather stuff out... I need more space, more time, and more mead at the moment... bleh...

ChadK
04-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Sorry for the delayed response, I was out vending at a steampunk show this last weekend. Next weekend I'll be out at a Wheel of Time convention, called JordanCon. On the positive side of things, we had an amazing show this past weekend, selling out most of our stock and making a pretty good amount of money. On the negative side of things, I wasn't expecting things to be that wildly successful and now I haven't even got enough stock to fill a single tote and two days left to build more leather items in, which means I'm not going to get much done or out on the table for this show. That is extremely disappointing for me, as I hate not to be able to present my best at a show. Anywho, had to make a run to Tandy today to get some line 21 snaps and told Chuck that someone from Salem, Oregon mentioned his name on a mead-making website. He just chuckled and started trying to guess your name... I figure he probably doesn't know anyone named HunnyBunz... Hehe

Anyway, I'm off to get some rest and nurse a finger I smashed trying to rush some leather stuff out... I need more space, more time, and more mead at the moment... bleh...

Reading all these posts from you crafty people makes me wish I could make something marketable with my hands. (I can't count beer cause I can't legally sell it.)

Matrix4b
04-18-2012, 11:48 AM
That's a shame. I thought it would be fun to attend. Ah well, I think I might have a gig for that day anyhow.

We still have our monthy practice and would welcome any new members. We promise not to break you. Last saturday of each month and second sunday of each month. Our yearly campout is on memorial day weekend. Our Sharps party for our yearly celebration is in June, where after practice we bring out the sharps and slice two liter bottles filled with water and have lots of fun. Also sort of a party.

Matrix

Chevette Girl
04-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Reading all these posts from you crafty people makes me wish I could make something marketable with my hands. (I can't count beer cause I can't legally sell it.)

Do scars count? :) I think about the only thing I have not bled on is crocheting projects...

ChadK
04-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Do scars count? :) I think about the only thing I have not bled on is crocheting projects...

I don't think scars are marketable. Unless you are counting them as tattoos.

Soyala_Amaya
04-18-2012, 12:46 PM
I don't think scars are marketable. Unless you are counting them as tattoos.

I've got one of those on my shoulder, it's a Mjolnir. Interesting experience, but I've got to get a couple of the small lines recut because they didn't keloid as well and are healing smooth.

HunnyBunz
04-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Anywho, had to make a run to Tandy today to get some line 21 snaps and told Chuck that someone from Salem, Oregon mentioned his name on a mead-making website. He just chuckled and started trying to guess your name... I figure he probably doesn't know anyone named HunnyBunz... Hehe

My name is Kyle, but I doubt if he would recognize my name if he heard it. He might remember that about a year and a half ago I had ordered a back hanger for my sword (from a different company but I recognized Chuck's work). It was a little late getting to me, but still made it in time for a Ren fair we were going to, and he included a small pouch and a note apologizing for the late shipment.
The times that I had ordered things from him before he had always done those little extras, so I just had to call him and thank him for the great customer service. He really seemed to appreciate that, so he might remember me from that.

Anyway, I hope you're able to build up your stock and get caught up.

Chevette Girl
04-18-2012, 12:55 PM
I've got one of those on my shoulder, it's a Mjolnir. Interesting experience, but I've got to get a couple of the small lines recut because they didn't keloid as well and are healing smooth.

I didn't know you could encourage keloids... I've done test spots with the charcoal thing, it fades over years but I can still find the little blue specks...

But no, in general, self-inflicted mostly-accidental scars would not be marketable :p

And Deacon, good luck getting more stock built up without further injury!

Soyala_Amaya
04-18-2012, 03:04 PM
I didn't know you could encourage keloids... I've done test spots with the charcoal thing, it fades over years but I can still find the little blue specks...

In general, it's much more difficult with white people. It's not racist, people of African descent just have a better gene for scaring. It's why most scaring as decoration started in Africa, and Europeans turned to ink. However, there are several ways to encourage a good scar on white skin.

Ash or charcoal is one, it encourages infection, which is really what you're going for. The infection makes a better scar. If you don't want a huge painful, swollen, pussy cut, lemon juice mixed with salt, hydrogen peroxide, and constant breaking open the scarb also helps. Not peeling or picking, stretching the skin tight and making the top break. Beyond that, jsut making sure the initial cut is 1/8th to 1/4 an inch deep is a major help. Anything 1/8th or less is only semi-perm to nothing. Deeper you get better results.

I'm guessing with mine, it was just hard to press the scalpel as deep as they could in the couple of small lines without pressing too hard. Everything except fo those couple of small lines at the top of the hammer scarred very well.

And that's your daily lesson from your friendly neighborhood modern primitive. Next week, tune in for hook pulls and suspension! ;D

ChadK
04-18-2012, 03:10 PM
In general, it's much more difficult with white people. It's not racist, people of African descent just have a better gene for scaring. It's why most scaring as decoration started in Africa, and Europeans turned to ink. However, there are several ways to encourage a good scar on white skin.

Ash or charcoal is one, it encourages infection, which is really what you're going for. The infection makes a better scar. If you don't want a huge painful, swollen, pussy cut, lemon juice mixed with salt, hydrogen peroxide, and constant breaking open the scarb also helps. Not peeling or picking, stretching the skin tight and making the top break. Beyond that, jsut making sure the initial cut is 1/8th to 1/4 an inch deep is a major help. Anything 1/8th or less is only semi-perm to nothing. Deeper you get better results.

I'm guessing with mine, it was just hard to press the scalpel as deep as they could in the couple of small lines without pressing too hard. Everything except fo those couple of small lines at the top of the hammer scarred very well.

And that's your daily lesson from your friendly neighborhood modern primitive. Next week, tune in for hook pulls and suspension! ;D

I think I'll pass. It hurts just reading about it.

Penguinetti
04-18-2012, 03:52 PM
...and nurse a finger...

Oh man, dyslexia hit me hard with this one...

I think I'll pass. It hurts just reading about it.

I might not try it anytime soon... I tried when I was in high school... the Ace of Spades... but it pretty much faded after a couple of years...

Hey Soyala, do you think we could get a pic of your Mjolnir?

Altricious
04-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Oh man, dyslexia hit me hard with this one..

Man, I have to remember not to be drinking when I read things on here.

Chevette Girl
04-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Ash or charcoal is one, it encourages infection, which is really what you're going for.

Actually no, charcoal does the exact opposite. Like charcoal filters, absorbs the bad stuff. Otherwise the "wound dust" we use on horses (which is made of dusted charcoal) would not be so good to prevent infections... it's especially good for weepy scrapes because it absorbs moisture while keeping the area sanitary, and won't cause discoloration in a scrape, but if you rub it into a fresh cut made with something sharp that's even 1/16 of an inch deep (just enough to actually bleed, rather than just weep until it scabs), it'll get under the skin surface and heal in, leaving a mark that's black but eventually fades to blue without being an infection magnet...

I knew about the genetic component of keloids (read medical textbooks for run when I was a kid - my grandmother was a nurse), although most folks don't think it's such a hot gene to have, very difficult to prevent unwanted scarring... :) I definitely don't have the keloid gene, I just get pink lines that eventually fade to white lines, no texture at all.

Soyala_Amaya
04-18-2012, 04:58 PM
*headdesk* I read your word and that's what I retyped instead of what I meant. "dirt or ash" not charcoal. Traditionally in African tribal scarification they used a mixture of mud and ash rubbed into the cuts to encourage the super raised scars. As for a pic of my shoulder, sure, as soon as I get around someone who I'll take my shirt off around, lol.

And as for the racist comment, that was a reference to an inside joke between the friend of mine who got cut with me. We were looking at the parlors catalogues and talking to the artist, and she suddenly blurted out "Man, I wish I was black...no, no, so I could scar better! I mean...not that black is bad...uh...I'm not racist or anything!" Our scarifcation artist WAS black and thought she was a riot.

Deacon Aegis
04-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Oh man, dyslexia hit me hard with this one...

Hehehehe... Something like that... Helllllooooooo nurse... ;D

Deacon Aegis
04-18-2012, 10:16 PM
My name is Kyle, but I doubt if he would recognize my name if he heard it. He might remember that about a year and a half ago I had ordered a back hanger for my sword (from a different company but I recognized Chuck's work). It was a little late getting to me, but still made it in time for a Ren fair we were going to, and he included a small pouch and a note apologizing for the late shipment.
The times that I had ordered things from him before he had always done those little extras, so I just had to call him and thank him for the great customer service. He really seemed to appreciate that, so he might remember me from that.

Anyway, I hope you're able to build up your stock and get caught up.

Well I'll let him know you said hey. Chuck's a great guy. One of the few remaining businessmen it seems is out to make people's life around him better rather than strive for the bottom dollar. I wish he was still building stuff to sell. I imagine if someone bugged him with enough money he might do it, but I think he's only crafting for his own wims these days. Ah well. I have a lot I can learn from him.

Chevette Girl
04-19-2012, 01:00 AM
<sigh> I guess the spambots activate at 1 AM...

056r
04-19-2012, 01:14 AM
it seems so, i went to their profile and reported every post they've made so far.

HunnyBunz
04-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Oh man, you have to check out THIS LINK AND FIND OUT HOW TO SATISFY WOMEN.

Penguinetti - You're a dork! :p

You know, this thread has gone just about as many directions as the "hijack this thread" thread. lol
Is it just me, or do any of the other males here get just a tiny bit excited whenever you click on the "girl's got toys" thread? :o

Altricious
04-20-2012, 10:22 AM

You know, this thread has gone just about as many directions as the "hijack this thread" thread. lol
Is it just me, or do any of the other males here get just a tiny bit excited whenever you click on the "girl's got toys" thread? :o

Who says it's just the guys? ;)

Chevette Girl
04-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Who says it's just the guys? ;)

Yeah! ;D;D;D

HunnyBunz
04-20-2012, 12:48 PM
You girls are just too much fun. Makes it hard to behave myself, for example...

Look what I found - :3some:

Altricious
04-20-2012, 02:47 PM
You girls are just too much fun. Makes it hard to behave myself, for example...

Look what I found - :3some:

No need to behave yourself. Haven't you noticed we're encouraging you?

HunnyBunz
04-20-2012, 03:52 PM
No need to behave yourself. Haven't you noticed we're encouraging you?

Yeah, I know. Obviously I don't need too much encouragement. ;)

Altricious
04-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I know. Obviously I don't need too much encouragement. ;)

I don't know. I think you've been rather restrained.

HunnyBunz
04-20-2012, 04:16 PM
I don't know. I think you've been rather restrained.

I guess I'm a little concerned about what some of the newbees (or moderators for that matter) might be thinking.
Besides, it's kinda fun being restrained.

Altricious
04-20-2012, 04:42 PM
I guess I'm a little concerned about what some of the newbees (or moderators for that matter) might be thinking.
Besides, it's kinda fun being restrained.

I'm a little disappointed. I thought I set you up better than that.

Besides, there shouldn't be any children here and no one is suggesting pornography.

HunnyBunz
04-20-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm a little disappointed. I thought I set you up better than that.

Set me up? With the restraint thing? I said I like to be restrained, i.e. tied up.
Or were you just trying to get me to cut loose a bit?

Altricious
04-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Set me up? With the restraint thing? I said I like to be restrained, i.e. tied up.
Or were you just trying to get me to cut loose a bit?

*sigh*

:(

Penguinetti
04-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Man, I have to remember not to be drinking when I read things on here.

...do any of the other males here get just a tiny bit excited whenever you click on the "girl's got toys" thread?

:glasses10:

Every time...

You girls are just too much fun. Makes it hard to behave myself, for example...Look what I found -...

And this one! :downtown:

Besides, there shouldn't be any children here and no one is suggesting pornography.

... YET.

I mean, what's the internets without some, AMIRITE?! :rolleyes:

Altricious
04-20-2012, 07:27 PM
... YET.

I mean, what's the internets without some, AMIRITE?! :rolleyes:

Next thing I know, you'll cite Rule 34.

Penguinetti
04-20-2012, 07:36 PM
I don't cite rules.

I follow them.

Altricious
04-20-2012, 07:43 PM
I don't cite rules.

I follow them.

Oh, you're a sub?

Penguinetti
04-20-2012, 07:51 PM
A sub?

No no... I'm a human being.

Mainly, I just follow Rule 34

Altricious
04-20-2012, 08:00 PM
A sub?

No no... I'm a human being.

Mainly, I just follow Rule 34

You're not the creator of all that weird stuff, are you?

That would be impressive.

Penguinetti
04-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Sadly, no... my creations never leave my personal realm of friends...

fivecats
04-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Next thing I know, you'll cite Rule 34.

Isn't Rule 34 "Deckard was a replicant"?

ChadK
04-20-2012, 11:17 PM

I thought that was the Nazi one? ;D

skunkboy
04-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Nope, that would be Goddard's Law

Altricious
04-20-2012, 11:21 PM

While it's true that Deckard was a replicant, Rule 34 basically says if you can imagine something, there is porn of it somewhere on the internet.

These are among my favorites:

http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/129080672847223067.jpg

http://liveforfilms.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/rule-34.jpg?w=600&h=480

skunkboy
04-20-2012, 11:23 PM
My favorite 34, is still furniture porn ... definitely work safe ... http://www.furnitureporn.com/furnporn1.html

ChadK
04-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Nope, that would be Goddard's Law

I knew that. I was just playing. ;)

While it's true that Deckard was a replicant, Rule 34 basically says if you can imagine something, there is porn of it somewhere on the internet.

I always wonder what rules one thru 33 are.

skunkboy
04-20-2012, 11:26 PM
I knew that. I was just playing. ;)

I always wonder what rules one thru 33 are.

Maybe these... http://ohinternet.com/Rules_of_the_Internet

Penguinetti
04-21-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm a fan of Rule 31, 29, and 20...

Matrix4b
04-23-2012, 11:59 AM
My favorite 34, is still furniture porn ... definitely work safe ... http://www.furnitureporn.com/furnporn1.html

What's may name Bench?!

IKEA! IKEA! IKEA!