PDA

View Full Version : Storing Yeast, Bentonite, etc.

Honey
04-03-2012, 08:48 PM
So my yeast, bentonite, campden and potassium sorbate came in the toy box today... should I pop these into the fridge for a longer shelf life or will it be to "wet" in there for them? The back-room that I'm clearing out for mead stuff doesn't have any ac (so is upwards of 90 degrees in the day - I might get a wall unit for there if this all works out to my liking). I've got two little 3-drawer plastic storage carts all cleaned up and ready to hold corks, hydrometer, wine theif, bungs, airlocks, racking equipment and the etc.

Honey

TAKeyser
04-03-2012, 08:57 PM
The yeast should be stored in the fridge, but the rest will be fine in the 3-drawer plastic storage carts.

That 90 degrees during the day is going to be pretty warm for your fermentation, you may start getting some unwanted flavors and aroma's.

Honey
04-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I thought of that. I tossed out me oven several years ago and the space it left will be perfect for fermenting. It's in the kitchen where there's always an ac going, and I have put shelves to keep it up off the floor and a nice heavy curtain to keep most of the light out.

Honey

Wolfie
04-04-2012, 07:15 PM
This reminds me...

I was going over my stuff today and noticed that that heat wave that hit Minneapolis last summer wiped out most of my GoFerm, Fermaid-K and DAP. I'm looking into picking up a big box of those silica packets they put in supplements to keep them dry though I'm not sure myself if it's better to keep them in the fridge or not....

skunkboy
04-04-2012, 10:06 PM
This reminds me...

I was going over my stuff today and noticed that that heat wave that hit Minneapolis last summer wiped out most of my GoFerm, Fermaid-K and DAP. I'm looking into picking up a big box of those silica packets they put in supplements to keep them dry though I'm not sure myself if it's better to keep them in the fridge or not....

wiped out as in clumped up due to too much humidity? Can DAP even go bad?

Wolfie
04-05-2012, 02:05 PM
yeah as in turned into rocks. As for the dap I did use some of it, but I got some more from a friend who was moving so I let the rock solid stuff go. The GoFerm And FerK were unrecoverable imho.