PDA

View Full Version : Sharing mead with others

New2mead
04-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Are you allowed to send bottles of your mead as gifts to friends? It's probably a state by state thing, but I'm just curious if there are any legal ramifications for doing so.

Awesome site! I'm on my 8th gallon of mead!

TAKeyser
04-04-2012, 09:06 AM
As far as I know unless your licensed to ship alcohol you can not ship it to friends.

New2mead
04-04-2012, 09:49 AM
As far as I know unless your licensed to ship alcohol you can not ship it to friends.

What about marinades? :)

machalel
04-04-2012, 10:06 AM
really? you guys cant ship bottles to eachother? :eek:

Soyala_Amaya
04-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Nope, can't ship alcohol...but you can mislabel it as cooking wine or marinade.

421 Definition

Intoxicating liquors are drinkable beverages that have 0.5 percent or more alcoholic content by weight and are taxable under chapter 51 of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Code.

422.1 Nonmailable Matter

422.11 Intoxicating Liquors

Intoxicating liquors having 0.5 percent or more alcoholic content are nonmailable. Taxable liquors with 3.2 percent or less alcohol, including those obtained under a prescription or as a collector’s item, also are nonmailable. The prohibition of the mailing of intoxicating liquors is contained in federal law (18 U.S.C. 1716).
422.12 Promotional Materials

Advertising, promotional, or sales matter that solicits or induces the mailing of intoxicating liquors also is nonmailable. See DMM 601.12.4.1.
422.2 Mailable Liquors

422.21 Products Not Categorized As Intoxicating Liquors

A product containing an intoxicating liquor is mailable if it conforms to the applicable requirements of the IRS and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and if it is not a taxable alcoholic beverage, poisonous, or flammable.
The following are examples of products that may be mailable:
Cold remedies.
Cooking wine.
Mouthwash.
422.22 Exempt Mailings Between Federal and State Agencies

Intoxicating liquor is exempt from the prohibition against mailing when it is sent between employees of federal or state agencies who have an official use for the liquor, such as for testing purposes. This exemption is based on the intent of the law to prevent liquor from being transported to prohibited jurisdictions for consumption and to ensure that all proper tax revenues are paid.

tatgeer
04-04-2012, 11:01 AM
USPS will not ship alcohol.

FedEx will, with certain packaging requirements (I haven't done it, but I think the employee I talked to said 3" of padding on all sides)

I don't know about UPS.

New2mead
04-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Nope, can't ship alcohol...but you can mislabel it as cooking wine or marinade.

422.21 Products Not Categorized As Intoxicating Liquors

A product containing an intoxicating liquor is mailable if it conforms to the applicable requirements of the IRS and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and if it is not a taxable alcoholic beverage, poisonous, or flammable.
The following are examples of products that may be mailable:
Cold remedies.
Cooking wine.
Mouthwash.
422.22 Exempt Mailings Between Federal and State Agencies

Interesting. I think with an alcohol content of anywhere between 8-22% it could be categorized as a mouthwash. After drinking, my breath is a fresh as a beehive! Hmmm...

Has anyone tried doing a honey mead reduction?

Also of interest that a federal or state agency can ship it to each other for "testing" purposes.

Thanks for the info!

Anyone interested in joining a mouthwash/cooking wine club? :)

Altricious
04-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Interesting. I think with an alcohol content of anywhere between 8-22% it could be categorized as a mouthwash.

I don't know about that... I find most alcoholic beverages great when I'm sick. That puts it firmly in the "cold remedy" category for me.

JLindsey
04-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Pack it well and go with UPS. I use them for all competitions and have never had a problem.

mmclean
04-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Pack it well and go with UPS. I use them for all competitions and have never had a problem.

I declare all my meads as "Flavor Samples". I've never had a clerk bat an eye.

Legitapotimous
04-04-2012, 05:45 PM
I have a friend with a bbq sauce business, I think it is time to make "meadinase" hah something like that..

Chevette Girl
04-05-2012, 01:15 PM
I think it is a state-by-state thing but the federal mail has its own rules. I know here, there are different provincial rules and though shipping homebrew across the Can/US border is technically legal if it's legal in the state and province, a lot of it's completely up to the border guards, and they dont' actually know all the rules.

skunkboy
04-05-2012, 07:28 PM
USPS will not ship alcohol.

FedEx will, with certain packaging requirements (I haven't done it, but I think the employee I talked to said 3" of padding on all sides)

I don't know about UPS.

All of the mead that I have ordered has shown up carried by FedEx so far.

TAKeyser
04-05-2012, 07:30 PM
All of the mead that I have ordered has shown up carried by FedEx so far.

Yeah, but you are talking Meads from people authorized to ship the stuff. Everything I've ordered has arrived from Fed Ex as well, but I thing the original post referred to him shipping his mead places.

hepcat
04-06-2012, 08:35 AM
I'm really enjoying sharing my mead!
My boss at work offered to buy a bottle! But it was his birthday yesterday so I gave it to him. And I gave a bottle to a lady I work with, drank a bottle with an old friend last weekend and gave them another one to keep. And only one of the above people had ever heard of mead before.;D

And I'm going to trade another bottle with a girl at work, for something she has that I want.;)

HunnyBunz
04-06-2012, 01:56 PM
And I'm going to trade another bottle with a girl at work, for something she has that I want.;)

That sounds interesting! :o

hepcat
04-06-2012, 03:23 PM
That sounds interesting! :o

Not what you're thinking, lol.
Although Ken Schram does call mead a very effective 'panty remover' in his book.;)

skunkboy
04-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Not what you're thinking, lol.
Although Ken Schramm does call mead a very effective 'panty remover' in his book.;)

Generally accepted homebrewer nomenclature is lpr, "liquid ... " :)

hepcat
04-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Generally accepted homebrewer nomenclature is lpr, "liquid ... " :)
LOL:o:p:cool:

Medsen Fey
04-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Are you allowed to send bottles of your mead as gifts to friends? It's probably a state by state thing, but I'm just curious if there are any legal ramifications for doing so.

From a Federal standpoint, the law for home wine reads:

27Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms12006-04-012006-04-01false24.75Section 24.75Alcohol, Tobacco Products and FirearmsALCOHOL AND TOBACCO TAX AND TRADE BUREAU, DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURYLIQUORSWINEAdministrative and Miscellaneous ProvisionsTax Exempt Wine§ 24.75Wine for personal or family use.
(a) General. Any adult may, without payment of tax, produce wine for personal or family use and not for sale.
(b) Quantity. The aggregate amount of wine that may be produced exempt from tax with respect to any household may not exceed:
(1) 200 gallons per calendar year for a household in which two or more adults reside, or
(2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one adult residing in the household.
(c) Definition of an adult. For the purposes of this section, an adult is any individual who is 18 years of age or older. However, if the locality in which the household is located has established by law a greater minimum age at which wine may be sold to individuals, the term “adult” will mean an individual who has attained that age.
(d) Proprietors of bonded wine premises. Any adult, defined in § 24.75(c), who operates a bonded wine premises as an individual owner or in partnership with others, may produce wine and remove it from the bonded wine premises free of tax for personal or family use, subject to the limitations in § 24.75(b).
(e) Limitation. This exemption should not in any manner be construed as authorizing the production of wine in violation of applicable State or local law. Except as provided in § 24.75(d), this exemption does not otherwise apply to partnerships, corporations, or associations.
(f) Removal. Wine produced under this section may be removed from the premises where made for personal or family use including use at organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions, such as home winemaker's contests, tastings or judgings, but may not under any circumstances be sold or offered for sale. The proprietor of a bonded wine premises shall pay the tax on any wine removed for personal or family use in excess of the limitations provided in this section and shall also enter all quantities removed for personal or family use on TTB F 5120.17, Report of Bonded Wine Premises Operations. (Sec. 201, Pub. L. 85-859, 72 Stat. 1331, as amended (26 U.S.C. 5042))
(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 1512-0216)[T.D. ATF-299, 55 FR 24989, June 19, 1991, as amended by T.D. ATF-338, 58 FR 19064, Apr. 12, 1993; T.D. ATF-344, 58 FR 40354, July 28, 1993]

I take that to mean I can ship mead to others for tastings. I hope I never have to argue that in front of a judge as it will be costly to do so. UPS and Fed-Ex may ship them for you, but I follow a strict don't ask - don't tell policy.

Your state law may be vastly different and you may want to check.

Medsen - not an attorney

LostCargo
09-27-2012, 05:33 PM
So was looking for a few people to trade bottles with as I have only my own batches of mead to compair to, and a few that i have tasted in local wineries as they experiment with the idea of making mead.

I have a suspicion that the bottles / glasses that I have consumed are not a good cross section of recpies and tastes that can come from the bottling mead.

So here is a good synopsis of the laws and how they have changed this year in canada for shipping bottles:
http://www.winelaw.ca/cms/index.php/legal-info-for-the-industry/23-shipping-border-import-laws/26-shipping-laws-on-wine-within-canada

Anyone interesting in trading a bottle or two? I've got some big batches going right now and when i get around to bottling I think I will have more than I can consume before I make more. I'd be happy to trade some.

Chevette Girl
09-29-2012, 11:42 AM
LostCargo, I'd be interested, where are you? Thanks for finding that article (and webpage), I've been trying since I joined the group brew to get info on this and about sending it to/receiving it from the 'states...

kudapucat
09-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Shipping to Aus would probably be prohibitive. But I trade as much as possible with local mazers.

LostCargo
10-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, honestly, I'm not sure how much trouble someone would get in for putting a bottle in a box, packing it well and shipping it. I think the bigger thing to worry about is that it breaks.
Since there is lots of confusion on the matter, I will check back in an PM u guys for an address. It will be about a month, I just split batch #2, and it re-started fermentation, and I want to get the SG to 1.0 at least.

So if you are patient with me, I will be happy to put a bottle in a box.:D

LostCargo
10-07-2012, 11:03 PM
LostCargo, I'd be interested, where are you? Thanks for finding that article (and webpage), I've been trying since I joined the group brew to get info on this and about sending it to/receiving it from the 'states...

Oh and as for location... Moose Jaw,SK (i can hear some people snickering...) lol

wildoates
10-07-2012, 11:23 PM
I've used UPS and never had a problem.

Vance G
10-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Oh and as for location... Moose Jaw,SK (i can hear some people snickering...) lol I don't snicker! As a boy growing up just barely South in North Dakota, we got the temperature in Moosejaw with every weather report! It was just as cold as we were.

Bee Serious
10-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Definitely have thought about it myself. This looks pretty safe but pricey:

http://www.uline.com/BL_5450/Styrofoam-Wine-Shippers

skunkboy
10-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Definitely have thought about it myself. This looks pretty safe but pricey:

http://www.uline.com/BL_5450/Styrofoam-Wine-Shippers

I have used these, they work well, but they are expensive...

Vance G
10-08-2012, 09:03 PM
I know what I am going to do with the scraps from the sheets of 1 1/2" styrofoam I just bought.

Chevette Girl
10-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Isn't that nice, Uline now asks if you want it American or Canadian instead of me having to track the same product down on the Canadian page ;D

I think it was Wayneb who said in another thread discussing shipping wine bottles that you can use spray foam insulation and plastic to protect a wine shipment... and I've seen it used to make protective padding for shipping electronics too.

kudapucat
10-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Quite common for the more expensive and heavy items like small servo motors.
Take a bag, fill with expanding foam.
Place bottles atop it. Place another bag on top, fill with foam, shut the lid of the box.
Voila! Custom styrofoam packaging

LostCargo
10-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Quite common for the more expensive and heavy items like small servo motors.
Take a bag, fill with expanding foam.
Place bottles atop it. Place another bag on top, fill with foam, shut the lid of the box.
Voila! Custom styrofoam packaging

Thats such a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I have used the expanding foam before in a door jamb to seal drafts (and acidentally compressed the door frame... sealing me in the room), I;m curious how to deal with the expansion. But stoked to try this.

LostCargo
10-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Okay, so a few months ago, I split a 5-6 gallon batch of 100% traditional ( honey and water and yeast only) to see how some additions would effect the flavour
1) vanilla
2) nutrivit+yeast+ bentonite
3) excessive bentonite and chestnut tannins
4) maple syrup
5) oak

Was a great experiment but they finished their fermentation (dry) and I think each tasted okay. But in the end, each was not as 'complex' as I wanted. So I recombined them all into the same carboy, racked a few more times over the following months, and when fermentation had stopped, added campden tablets, filtered added potassium sorbate, and bottled the next day.

So... I have about 20 bottles of my little traditional experiment mead. Name on the bottle will be 'Sows Ear Mead'.

Would any one like to do an exchange? I live in Moose Jaw SK Canada and would be happy to ship a bottle for a bottle. Chevette Girl, I will PM you with details if our previous agreement still stands.

Hope you all are having a great weekend!:D

Vance G
10-21-2012, 11:58 AM
When I fulfilled my promise to ship a 750ml bottle of wedding mead, I will say there was definate sticker shock at the UPS store! The nice girl also did not like my answer on what I was shipping untill I remembered advice and said "It is a live yeast culture" Maybe I got the hazmat rate? Is $23 USD what people experienced in this traffic would expect to pay? Maybe I am out of my league and you folks are all rich, but that seemed excessive and does not encourage me to make swaps. Is fed ex better?

Chevette Girl
10-21-2012, 12:01 PM
I shipped a 30-lb bulky car part halfway across the country for $30, so I'm thinking you got screwed. Now, getting it across the border may be interesting and I'm sure will cost more... thanks again to Akueck for taking my exchange submissions with you!! :)

Soulpanda
10-22-2012, 07:28 AM
Thanks again Vance. Wow, I didn't realize it cost that much, that is kind of crazy.

Khan
10-22-2012, 10:32 AM
When I fulfilled my promise to ship a 750ml bottle of wedding mead, I will say there was definate sticker shock at the UPS store!

I know I'm late in the converstation, VanceG you should not have had to pay that much. The UPS store is NOT owned by UPS (most are franchised) and they make money by charging service fees above and beyond what UPS would charge... Like going to a convenience store for toilet-paper, really expensive when compared to the grocery-store prices.
Edit: Just did a price-check on a single package weighing 5lbs on UPS's site: Shipping from NJ to NV would cost $17.79USD

Next time, get your shipping online directly through UPS or FedEx you'll get the real rates. Also, if you know someone will be there, or you are sending to a place of business, then tell the shipping company that the destination is a business, you'll get a slightly cheaper rate.

And, as far as I know, there's nothing wrong with shipping a few bottles of home-made marinade to a close friend.

Vance G
10-23-2012, 01:28 AM
Don't sweat it, just not your problem. I just hope you enjoy the mead and the marriage.
Thanks again Vance. Wow, I didn't realize it cost that much, that is kind of crazy.