PDA

View Full Version : Rue in Mead

Honey
04-06-2012, 07:36 AM
I grow rue and love it, especially after it is dried and has that wonderful sweet smell (diffferent from its earthy, fresh smell). Although many sites claim it is poison, I do know it was used it cooking recipes in the past in small amounts. Has anyone added rue to their mead?

Honey

wayneb
04-06-2012, 11:15 AM
You know, I don't think I've ever had a metheglin with rue as one of the ingredients. I'm not sure how you would go about formulating a "safe" recipe, either. It is, according to the references I have at hand, only mildly toxic if eaten but rue oil is a skin irritant. The flavor is supposedly very bitter.

If you do something with rue, I'd suggest adding it during secondary/aging and starting with very small amounts at first.

Robusto
04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Sorry for asking what may be a dumb question, but what is rue?

wayneb
04-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Wikipedia to the rescue! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rue

fivecats
04-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Sorry for asking what may be a dumb question, but what is rue?

A character in The Hunger Games (http://thehungergames.wikia.com/wiki/Rue).

(Although wayneb's link would make more sense within the context of mead, I suppose.) :cool:

skunkboy
04-06-2012, 02:24 PM
As long as it is not Roux. Browned flour and fat would probably not be a great either.

Altricious
04-06-2012, 02:34 PM
As long as it is not Roux. Browned flour and fat would probably not be a great either.

or ROUS, because giant rodents don't belong in your mead either.

RiverNomad
04-23-2016, 01:23 PM
@Honey

Did you ever try this in your mead?
I was wondering how it came out.

I dry my rue leaves, flowers, and stems and use them in cooking all the time without any ill effects. I have heard that it is toxic, but I imagine it's one of those things where you would have to eat much more than the average human would attempt to make yourself sick.
In any case, it is rather bitter and potent tasting so a little bit goes a very long way.

EbonHawk
04-24-2016, 02:47 PM
Man, I wouldn't want to *ruin* my mead by putting rue in it... get it?

Just kidding, I'd try it if I could find some. Sounds interesting.