PDA

View Full Version : metheglin questions

hepcat
04-06-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm going to start a 3 gallon metheglin with only vanilla bean(s), cinnamon stick(s), a dash of allspice, and whole clove(s).

How many vanilla beans would you put into a 3 gal batch? And I was thinking of putting in 3 cinnamon sticks, and only two whole cloves.

And would you put them in primary or wait and add all the spices mentioned above after first racking?

Or, put them in primary and again after first racking?

Thanks in advance for your input.

mmclean
04-06-2012, 09:11 AM
What yeast are you planning to use?

I would add one bean per gallon to secondary for the vanilla. The others I would just add to primary. You can add more vanilla, if needed, after it has aged out for a while.

wayneb
04-06-2012, 11:20 AM
+1 to what mmclean said, and I'd also recommend whole allspice corns that you coarsely crack open, rather than using the ground spice. That powder is messier to work with when you rack.

I'd suggest two to three allspice corns per gallon, and one clove per gallon, for a noticeable spice presence.

fivecats
04-06-2012, 12:19 PM
I would add one bean per gallon to secondary for the vanilla. The others I would just add to primary. You can add more vanilla, if needed, after it has aged out for a while.

I'm thinking this will give a more pronounced vanilla taste up front. I'm doing a 5 gallon batch of orange mead that I'm thinking of adding vanilla beans to in the secondary. Would you still recommend 1 bean per gallon there?

mmclean
04-06-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm thinking this will give a more pronounced vanilla taste up front. I'm doing a 5 gallon batch of orange mead that I'm thinking of adding vanilla beans to in the secondary. Would you still recommend 1 bean per gallon there?

One bean per gallon is a good place to start. It should give you a noticeable vanilla presence, without dominating the taste profile. You can always fine tune the taste after it has aged awhile.

hepcat
04-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Cool thanks.
I think I'll add to primary and again to subsequent rackings as needed to taste.

Oh and I plan to use about 7 grams of Lalvin D-47. And will add yeast nutrient and energizer too.