• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

JAOM - finish in under 2 months?

Barrel Char Wood Products

dmarti

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 25, 2011
Texas, USA
Hi group,

At the beginning of March, I talked a friend of mine into making a 6.5 gallon carboy of JAOM. We up-scaled everything as posted in the original recipe (took each ingredient and multiplied by 6.5).

When we made it, before pitching the yeast, we attached a lees stirrer onto his drill and really aerated the heck out of it. After pitching the yeast, he had crazy fermentation for a few days. Finally it subsided and we topped it up with some more water.

It's now been about 5 weeks since starting it and I spoke to him tonight and he said he already had a few oranges and raisins sitting on the bottom of his carboy. He said it was very clear and easily can read newspaper print through the carboy.

Can JAOM finish before the stated 2 month time frame? We are going to go ahead and wait until after the 2 months before taking off the airlock and sampling/bottling it, but I was just surprised about this.

My 1-gallon JAOM I started is right now at the 2 month mark and I just now have a few oranges starting to fall.

I do not know the temperature in his house, but I'm guessing in the mid 70s this whole time.

Thanks,

David

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
The time frame in the recipe is a guide. Different batches can take different amounts of time to finish i.e. to clear and the fruit too drop.

I have yet to make a batch and find it drinkable once the fruit has dropped. Hence I usually let the fruit drop and then rack it off (taking all precautions to remove any lees that gets sucked up by the racking cane etc).

Then I leave it to age for at least 6 months.

That way, any bitterness from the orange pith, usually mellows/recedes allowing the other flavours to come more to the fore......

Result = a good batch with none of the moans you read about here of the presence of bitterness.....

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I guess it depends on how you define "finished"... if you define it as clear and fruit has dropped, ready to rack or bottle, then absolutely, it can happen quickly sometimes... if you define it as drinkable, well, that depends on your taste, different people have different bitterness tolerances so some people might consider it drinkable before it clears, and others like Fatbloke won't want to try till at least 6 months.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns