PDA

View Full Version : Hijack This Thread!

Pages : [1] 2

fivecats
04-09-2012, 12:52 AM
I've done my share of unintentional tread hijacking. I figured it might be fun to start a thread with the intention of allowing everyone to hijack it in their own direction!

Here are the rules:

Pick a word/phrase/sentence from the last message in this thread and spin it out in whatever tangent that has meaning for you. (Meaning being a fairly loose term.)
At least two other people should have their hijack-say in things before you can re-hijack.

Ready? The world is waiting... Travel safe... GO!

Chevette Girl
04-09-2012, 02:47 AM
The world is waiting... Travel safe... GO!

I drive an unmodified Chevette. They had 68 horsepower brand spanking new and mine's 30 years old with almost 350,000 km on it. The world will have to wait a little bit longer, 0-60 mph in 40 seconds now that we're down half a cylinder... And safe? Well, it does at least have real steel bumpers with actual shock absorbers, not plastic-wrapped styrofoam like I've seen in new cars. But airbags? Nope, none of those.

TAKeyser
04-09-2012, 03:12 AM
I drive an unmodified Chevette. They had 68 horsepower brand spanking new and mine's 30 years old with almost 350,000 km on it. The world will have to wait a little bit longer, 0-60 mph in 40 seconds now that we're down half a cylinder... And safe? Well, it does at least have real steel bumpers with actual shock absorbers, not plastic-wrapped styrofoam like I've seen in new cars. But airbags? Nope, none of those.

I had the next step up, a 1981 Chevy Citation and I loved that little car. I beat the crap out of that car and it just would not die. Wish I still had it, the friend who bout it off me in 1995 still has it and it is still his daily driver with almost 400,000 miles on it (he did eventually need to replace the clutch)

Chevette Girl
04-09-2012, 03:20 AM
I had the next step up, a 1981 Chevy Citation

Aah, the Citation, an overgrown Chevette... were those front wheel drive? I've never been up close to one, just seen the odd one on the road. I think the Pontiac Phoenix was the same... technically my Beast is a Pontiac Acadian (T-1000 in the 'States).

C'mon, someone hijack this to something else or we're gonna end up talking cars all thread...

TAKeyser
04-09-2012, 03:23 AM
Aah, the Citation, an overgrown Chevette... were those front wheel drive?

Yes it was front wheel drive. I had the 5 door model in a nice old person beige color.

browncoats
04-09-2012, 09:53 AM
My fist car was a poop brown 81 Chevette. My uncle had to install a manual choke so I could keep it running. Also, I had to pump the gas pedal constantly or it would stall and the idle speed was so high I could drive from my parents' house to the grocery store and back without stepping on the gas. I was the only person who could start it and keep it 'running'.

By the way, I think hijacking this thread's purpose by making it all about cars would be the ultimate hijack of all time.

wayneb
04-09-2012, 11:26 AM
...manual choke...

<JACK!> I made a blackberry-chokecherry wine several years ago (well, a couple of decades ago now), that was as astringent as sucking on a wooden tongue depressor when new, but it mellowed nicely after a decade or so! ;D Manually trying to scrape off the skin/fruit pulp from the seeds was an exercise in futility, so we just fermented the whole fruit, pips and all. I'm pretty sure that was the source of the excess tannins.

(I also figured that jacking on "choke" was better than trying something with "poop." ;) )

akueck
04-09-2012, 12:07 PM
After doing a cherry cyser and pitting all those things, I'd totally consider just throwing them in whole next time. Mmmm, tannin. I wonder when cherry season is in NY... Wait, do they have cherries there?

Chevette Girl
04-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Bwahaahaa, jacking the thread back to be about mead, awesome :D

I've done cherry wine with the pips and got no bitterness (or flavour, either). I've eaten chokecherries without the pips and I don't think the pips are the source of the bitterness, the chokecherries are! I left the pips in when I made my chokecherry wine, the bitterness is slowly aging out and it should be drinkable this year... But they're nothing compared to highbush cranberries, the bitterness from my 2004 batch is still slowly dropping out. It has improved from "reflex spit-it-out-now" bitter to "hey, I can actually swallow this without fighting my instincts now". But it smells soooo good I can't bear to throw it out, so I just rack and taste it every year or so.

The last time I picked chokecherries, I was standing on top of my in-laws' pickup truck because the trees overhang the driveway and the stepladder wasn't long enough. This was right before the 500 km drive home (in the Chevette of course) and I had this cute little spider on me from the cherry trees that I played with in the car for about 45 min till we got to the gas station and I set it free in the ditch... nothing quite like being a human hamster-wheel... for a spider.

skunkboy
04-09-2012, 01:02 PM
After doing a cherry cyser and pitting all those things, I'd totally consider just throwing them in whole next time. Mmmm, tannin. I wonder when cherry season is in NY... Wait, do they have cherries there?

In a word, yes : http://www.pickyourown.org/nywest.htm

To pit cherries I usually let the Upick place do it, or I put on plastic gloves and squeeze the pits out into a pot. Since I'm going to freeze and ferment them who cares how broken up or messy they get? :)

Val
04-09-2012, 02:38 PM
In a word, yes : http://www.pickyourown.org/nywest.htm

To pit cherries I usually let the Upick place do it, or I put on plastic gloves and squeeze the pits out into a pot. Since I'm going to freeze and ferment them who cares how broken up or messy they get? :)

/JACK!

I wonder if you could use the back-end of this:
http://peppermania.com/new_products_6.html

I have one of these and use it all the time. I'm obsessed with chili peppers. I even grow my own so I can dehydrate them and make my own chili powder (at least that's the plan for this season).

Deacon Aegis
04-09-2012, 02:58 PM
/JACK!

I wonder if you could use the back-end of this:
http://peppermania.com/new_products_6.html

I have one of these and use it all the time. I'm obsessed with chili peppers. I even grow my own so I can dehydrate them and make my own chili powder (at least that's the plan for this season).

I love chili peppers, but that tool looks like something a tad bit naughty. Speaking of naughty tools, I was down in my shop the other day trying to drill a thin pieve of metal in my drill press. The vise I had the metal clamped into was apparently not as tight I thought it to be and the drill bit bound up and slung that little piece of metal off into the garage... Needless to say, I'm glad that it hadn't at least slung it towards me.

Ah well, I'm off to work on some leather... Got a show coming up this weekend. Have fun all! ;D

Soyala_Amaya
04-09-2012, 04:18 PM
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/07/make-your-own-cherry-pitter.html

I just shang-hai the silverware drawer and some pliers when I pit cherries. Works pretty well as far as I'm concerned, and it's stupidly hard to find an actual cherry pitter these days in stores.

OutlawJosey
04-09-2012, 04:27 PM
silverware drawer and some pliers

Add a roll of duct tape, a swiss army knife and we have ourselves a McGyver on our hands. Can fix anything with duct tape!

Chevette Girl
04-09-2012, 04:29 PM
The vise I had the metal clamped into was apparently not as tight I thought it to be and the drill bit bound up and slung that little piece of metal off into the garage... Needless to say, I'm glad that it hadn't at least slung it towards me.

That's about the only way I know of to injure onessself with a drill press... I'd know, I'm pretty accident-prone and I haven't managed. Yet.

Chevette Girl
04-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Add a roll of duct tape, a swiss army knife and we have ourselves a McGyver on our hands. Can fix anything with duct tape!

Has a light side and a dark side and holds the universe together!

Fisk Jaegaren
04-09-2012, 04:35 PM
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/07/make-your-own-cherry-pitter.html Works pretty well as far as I'm concerned, and it's stupidly hard to find an actual cherry pitter these days in stores.

Can't those door greeters be put to better use at Wal-Marts and Meijers, maybe they can help us find obscure utensils when we need them. I was in the sporting goods section the other day looking for what seemed eternity for a left-handed smoke shifter.

TheAlchemist
04-09-2012, 05:26 PM
I thought they only sold smoke shifters at Scout Camp.

fivecats
04-09-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm obsessed with chili peppers. I even grow my own so I can dehydrate them and make my own chili powder (at least that's the plan for this season).

We grew chili peppers two years ago. I took most of our harvest and dried them in a dehydrator, them sealed them in zip lock freezer bags and stashed them in the freezer.

I use a coffee grinder that's reserved just for hot peppers to turn them into a fine powder. It is incredibly hot stuff!

HunnyBunz
04-09-2012, 07:12 PM
We grew chili peppers two years ago. I took most of our harvest and dried them in a dehydrator, them sealed them in zip lock freezer bags and stashed them in the freezer.

I use a coffee grinder that's reserved just for hot peppers to turn them into a fine powder. It is incredibly hot stuff!

We had chili peppers in our taco salad last night. The store was out of jalepenos so my wife got anaheims. No zing at all. I think the scoville units was like 2!

Deacon Aegis
04-09-2012, 07:20 PM
We had chili peppers in our taco salad last night. The store was out of jalepenos so my wife got anaheims. No zing at all. I think the scoville units was like 2!

Hmm, the Bhut Jalokia was until recently the top pepper on the scoville scale. Now it looks like the Naga Viper pepper has reach the top. I wonder if facebook might think of making a game called "Scoville" where you farm up the hotest peppers and pester your friends to join in so they can waste as much time as you do. Personally, I think it's a shame how much time peeps waste on those darn facebook games. That said, I'm off to play World of Warcraft! Have fun all! ;D

Fisk Jaegaren
04-09-2012, 07:50 PM
That said, I'm off to play World of Warcraft! Have fun all! ;D

Do the dwarves in World of Warcraft get to drink mead?

Soyala_Amaya
04-09-2012, 07:52 PM

Dude, give me duct tape, w-d 40, a swiss army knife, pliers, and a hammer, and there's really NOT much I can't do! It might take a while longer, but it WILL get done!

akueck
04-09-2012, 07:56 PM
What the heck is a smoke shifter? Is this like one of those smoke signal things they put in the Disney cartoons?

Altricious
04-09-2012, 08:00 PM

There are 3 mead beverages in WoW:
Flagon of Mead (http://thottbot.com/item=2594#sold-by)
Honey Mead (http://thottbot.com/item=40035)
Ogre Mead (http://thottbot.com/item=33035)

Chevette Girl
04-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Dude, give me duct tape, w-d 40, a swiss army knife, pliers, and a hammer, and there's really NOT much I can't do! It might take a while longer, but it WILL get done!

If it involves a car, add a socket set to that if you want to be able to fix it more than once. If it's just once, visegrips. <shudder>

Soyala_Amaya
04-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Cars are one of those things I pay people smarter than me to fix. I'm a computer geek. Give me 6 hours and I can take your slow, malware infested pos and make it shiny again. Cars...cars are big and dirty. Computers are small and elegant and all I ever mess with is a keyboard.

akueck
04-09-2012, 11:29 PM
I'd really like to learn more about fixing cars. Or really anything about fixing cars. I can change a tire. I'm sure I could change the oil if I had a driveway or somewhere off-street to put the car. And that's about it.

Suggestions? I've entertained the thought of picking up a barely-running junker and just taking it apart to see what happens.

Penguinetti
04-10-2012, 07:34 AM
That said, I'm off to play World of Warcraft! Have fun all! ;D

I'm still trying to get my Tauren Hunter up to 85... It's taking me forever.

if I had a driveway or somewhere off-street to put the car.

Speaking of driveways, last week my parents in law came up to help me dormer my roof. During that process, my mother-in-law did some landscaping for us, trimming back bushes and whatnot... Turns out we have a whole other spot in our driveway for another car, and we had no idea (no one told us there was driveway underneath the bushes when we bought the house).

Also, since we're jacking and whatnot, i give you my house!

Old:
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k543/PenguinSub/2012-03-15162150.jpg

and New(ish)!:
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k543/PenguinSub/2012-04-06123454.jpg
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k543/PenguinSub/2012-04-04181708.jpg

TheAlchemist
04-10-2012, 09:55 AM
You have a cellar door? How cool is that! I dropped one of those on my brother's head when we were little... Scarred him for life.

fivecats
04-10-2012, 10:18 AM
You have a cellar door? How cool is that! I dropped one of those on my brother's head when we were little... Scarred him for life.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3b/Liveatthecellardoor.jpg

The Cellar Door? Does anyone else remember The Cellar Door (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cellar_Door) in Georgetown, DC?

(Click through the link to see some of the acts that performed there. It's an amazing list.)

Altricious
04-10-2012, 10:37 AM
(no one told us there was driveway underneath the bushes when we bought the house)

Maybe they didn't know? People can be stupid and oblivious.

Penguinetti
04-10-2012, 10:55 AM

It's very cool! But my wife won't go down to the basement through there; too many spiderwebs. The pest inspector said the only reason we don't have mice is because of the quantity of spiders we have.

Did you drop the door on his head.. I don't want to say on purpose, but... not... on... accident? lol. Poor kid.

Maybe. You do have some very valid points there.

As for fivecats, it didn't let me quote you but, I don't remember the place. Sadly the article you linked said it was only open till 1981; a full four years before I stopped being a twinkle in my dad's eye and a lump in my mom's belly.

wayneb
04-10-2012, 11:01 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3b/Liveatthecellardoor.jpg

The Cellar Door? Does anyone else remember The Cellar Door (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cellar_Door) in Georgetown, DC?

(Click through the link to see some of the acts that performed there. It's an amazing list.)
Oh, man -- you just brought back a flood of memories! The "Door" had closed a couple of years before I moved to the DC area (I was living in Annapolis, actually), but the Seldom Scene were actively playing gigs around various other local venues, and they were my intro into the eclectic new-wave bluegrass thing that was going on in the DC area at the time. I coincidentally met a guy named Clarke Prouty at a Scene gig, found out that he also worked for NASA (as I did back then), and he told me all about his hobby of building musical instruments (mostly banjos and guitars in his case). Under his tutelage I built my first hammered dulcimer and celtic lap harp.

wayneb
04-10-2012, 11:06 AM

I became right handed after an encounter with a cellar trap door early in the 1st grade. The middle finger of my left hand was essentially crushed, and it was in one form of cast, splint, or wrap for most of that school year and into part of second grade. I learned to print, and later write, right-handed while up until that point I had been left handed.

Penguinetti
04-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Oh, man -- you just brought back a flood of memories! The "Door" had closed a couple of years before I moved to the DC area (I was living in Annapolis, actually), but the Seldom Scene were actively playing gigs around various other local venues, and they were my intro into the eclectic new-wave bluegrass thing that was going on in the DC area at the time. I coincidentally met a guy named Clarke Prouty at a Scene gig, found out that he also worked for NASA (as I did back then), and he told me all about his hobby of building musical instruments (mostly banjos and guitars in his case). Under his tutelage I built my first hammered dulcimer and celtic lap harp.

What'd/do you do for NASA?

I became right handed after an encounter with a cellar trap door early in the 1st grade. The middle finger of my left hand was essentially crushed, and it was in one form of cast, splint, or wrap for most of that school year and into part of second grade. I learned to print, and later write, right-handed while up until that point I had been left handed.

Apparently cellar doors are vicious, I guess... No harm though, did you become right handed or ambidexterous?

According to the fam, I was supposed to be left handed, but my grandmother said it was the devil's, and forced me to become right handed.

HunnyBunz
04-10-2012, 12:06 PM

I know what you mean. I have very little tolerance for stupidity and/or prideful attitudes. It's kind of ironic because I really do like people and I can get along with anyone. I even play the diplomat when others aren't getting along. But that said, whenever I go on any kind of an outing my preference is too see as few people as possible. I hate crowds, mainly because people's selfishness and lack of courtesy irritates the hell out of me.

Sorry to sound so negative. Carry on good people! :D

HunnyBunz
04-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Cars are one of those things I pay people smarter than me to fix. I'm a computer geek. Give me 6 hours and I can take your slow, malware infested pos and make it shiny again. Cars...cars are big and dirty. Computers are small and elegant and all I ever mess with is a keyboard.

Say there computer geek! Can you help me with posting a picture?
I was trying to post my label on the other thread. It was created with Paintshop Pro and we copied it to Paint and even shrunk it to be a smaller file, but when
we tried to upload it, the Gotmead image link window said that it exceeded my capacity - even though the image took up less MB than it said my capacity was.

I don't have any kind of social network accounts, nor do particularly wish to.
If you can help great. If not, I can live. The forum will just have to do without my label. :(

Penguinetti
04-10-2012, 12:36 PM
I know what you mean. I have very little tolerance for stupidity and/or prideful attitudes. It's kind of ironic because I really do like people and I can get along with anyone. I even play the diplomat when others aren't getting along. But that said, whenever I go on any kind of an outing my preference is too see as few people as possible. I hate crowds, mainly because people's selfishness and lack of courtesy irritates the hell out of me.

Sorry to sound so negative. Carry on good people! :D

How can someone with the name HunnyBunz sound negative?

TAKeyser
04-10-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm pretty negative today since it is April 10th and it's snowing!!! It was like 80 degrees a week or two ago!!! WTF, I want to plant my Hops and the dang whether will not cooperate.

fivecats
04-10-2012, 02:08 PM
WTF, I want to plant my Hops and the dang whether will not cooperate.

Whether or not the weather will cooperate, snow on hops is an odd thing.

ChadK
04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
There are 3 mead beverages in WoW:
Flagon of Mead (http://thottbot.com/item=2594#sold-by)
Honey Mead (http://thottbot.com/item=40035)
Ogre Mead (http://thottbot.com/item=33035)

I named one of my ciders for a cider from WoW: Fel Slider Cider (http://www.wowhead.com/item=63133/fel-slider-cider)

HunnyBunz
04-10-2012, 02:25 PM
How can someone with the name HunnyBunz sound negative?

You know, right after I joined the forum I thought "Why did I pick HunnyBunz as a user name? It sounds stupid & seems a little femish." >:(

Oh well. It's still kind of fun when those of the opposite gender say "Hey HunnyBunz." ;)

Chevette Girl
04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
You know, right after I joined the forum I thought "Why did I pick HunnyBunz as a user name? It sounds stupid & seems a little femish." >:(

Oh well. It's still kind of fun when those of the opposite gender say "Hey HunnyBunz." ;)

It's weird, but in real life on resumes and emails and such, I go by my initials so my gender is not obvious. But for some reason online where it doesn't matter, I'm fine with being the Chevette Girl. Go figure...

I was trying to post my label on the other thread. It was created with Paintshop Pro and we copied it to Paint and even shrunk it to be a smaller file, but when
we tried to upload it, the Gotmead image link window said that it exceeded my capacity - even though the image took up less MB than it said my capacity was.

Yeah, I get the same thing.

...1981; a full four years before I stopped being a twinkle in my dad's eye and a lump in my mom's belly.
<snip>
According to the fam, I was supposed to be left handed, but my grandmother said it was the devil's, and forced me to become right handed.

Wow, really? You're making ME feel old (you're ten years my junior, even my car is older than you) and my whole family's riddled with us sinister types on both sides, my brother the full-on righty is a minority if you consider all my aunts and uncles, Mom's ambi-right and I'm ambi-left. My dad was a full-on lefty and far as he ever told me, never caught any crap for it in school or from the religious ones in the family, and he was in the Boomer generation, well before your time...

ChadK
04-10-2012, 02:51 PM
I am finding much awesomeness in this thread. Aside from the obvious mead/homebrewing angle: I used to drive a Citation, my first car was also poop brown (a 1980 Pinto Station Wagon which I bought off my uncle for 100.00, drove for 3 years till it died then the wreckers paid me 50.00 for,) and I play WoW. I am finding much in common with the denizens of this forum.

Oh yeah, and in WoW, even though I am a straight male, I enjoy cross gender RP.

TAKeyser
04-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Say there computer geek! Can you help me with posting a picture?

I don't have any kind of social network accounts, nor do particularly wish to.
If you can help great. If not, I can live. The forum will just have to do without my label. :(

Easiest way that I've found is to set up an account at http://www.photobucket.com (you can make it private so no one can access your pics) and upload your pics into an album on it (also a great back-up method for pics) and just copy the photos "img" code into your post here on GotMead.

akueck
04-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah it seems that the image upload doesn't really like people. Photobucket, Flickr, Picasa, etc are easy and probably the way to go.

On an unrelated note, I remember being the young guy when I joined the forum. Guess I'm getting old now...

HunnyBunz
04-10-2012, 03:12 PM
I am finding much awesomeness in this thread. Aside from the obvious mead/homebrewing angle: I used to drive a Citation, my first car was also poop brown (a 1980 Pinto Station Wagon which I bought off my uncle for 100.00, drove for 3 years till it died then the wreckers paid me 50.00 for,) and I play WoW. I am finding much in common with the denizens of this forum.

My first car was a '72 Camaro, Blue with gold pinstriping, a rear spoiler, a little bondo work on one of the rear fenders, and big wide semi-low-profile tires on the back. I loved that car. Some jerk went around a car in front of him (driving on the shoulder) and hit me head-on as I was starting to make a left turn. Totalled my car after less than a year. :mad:

TAKeyeser & akuek - Thanks guys. Maybe I'll break down and try the photo site thing.

Altricious
04-10-2012, 03:12 PM

Well, of course you do. The female characters are much nicer to look at. Why wouldn't you want to play one?

TAKeyser
04-10-2012, 03:17 PM
TAKeyeser & akuek - Thanks guys. Maybe I'll break down and try the photo site thing.

Break down, we want to see the pics ;D

ChadK
04-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Well, of course you do. The female characters are much nicer to look at. Why wouldn't you want to play one?

Yes, but although I am careful not to out and out lie, I play and interact with others in such a way that I let people assume that the person behind the keyboard is female when I am playing a female toon. and visa versa for male toons.

ChadK
04-10-2012, 03:21 PM
My first car was a '72 Camaro, Blue with gold pinstriping, a rear spoiler, a little bondo work on one of the rear fenders, and big wide semi-low-profile tires on the back. I loved that car. Some jerk went around a car in front of him (driving on the shoulder) and hit me head-on as I was starting to make a left turn. Totalled my car after less than a year. :mad:

my second car was a '73 Satellite Seabring. My dad got it from this old lady who had had it sitting in her garage in near mint condition. I put every dent and ding in that thing. Drove it into the ground and rust eventually took over (Wisconsin winters'll do that) Sold it to some guy who was going to take the motor out and junk the body.

I feel ya on the hurt of losing a cool car too soon. A couple years back, I got my first Mustang. It was an '86 LX automatic, but it was still a Mustang, dammit, and it was convertible too. I had big plans for that car. But after having it for a mere 7 months, I learned that in an icy parking lot, even at low speeds, a Mustang will always lose to a Tahoe.

wayneb
04-10-2012, 03:42 PM
What'd/do you do for NASA?

That short question could result in a long answer, since my career working directly for NASA spanned 21 years (not counting the time that I spent at JPL), and I still do some NASA related work as a contractor.

But the short summary list of "stuff" that I've done includes:
1) Flight Controller at Mission Control in Houston for the Space Shuttle in the early days (pre-1984).
1a) Volunteer "guinea pig" for vestibular research and testing studies coincident with the early shuttle program (i.e. I got to know every cubic inch of the cabin in NASA's KC-135 "vomit comet," since I was one of the less sensitive test subjects).
2) Space shuttle payload accommodations engineer at NASA Goddard.
3) Attached payload accommodation manager for the Space Station Program
(back in the early design era - before any components were built).
4) Earth Remote Sensing engineering/science for various microwave instruments and IR-optical systems (things like developing the sensors that were incorporated on weather and climate satellites, and calibration of the instruments on Landsat satellites).
5) etc. (any more and this will no longer qualify as a short summary!) ;)

Apparently cellar doors are vicious, I guess... No harm though, did you become right handed or ambidexterous?

I'm mostly ambi. I still eat by holding utensils with my left hand more than my right, and I can switch hands at will when using hand tools. I was also an expert at a left handed kill shot back in the days that I played handball. But pencil or pen are only useful to me when I wield them with my right hand.

Altricious
04-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Yes, but although I am careful not to out and out lie, I play and interact with others in such a way that I let people assume that the person behind the keyboard is female when I am playing a female toon. and visa versa for male toons.

Which is why everyone is always surprised when a female toon is actually played by a female! People never believe me.

ChadK
04-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Which is why everyone is always surprised when a female toon is actually played by a female! People never believe me.

My guild leader is a real life female who plays female toons.

TheAlchemist
04-10-2012, 06:09 PM
What the heck is a smoke shifter?

I remember being the young guy when I joined the forum. Guess I'm getting old now...

Aaron, clearly you were not a Scout. In Girl Scouts we called them "smoke benders." A search for one *spoiler alert* is akin to going on a "snipe hunt."

It looks like you joined in 2006...are you saying you "got old" in a mere 6 years?

Oh, and do you know what the definition of "old" is?

The Definition of Old:
The definition of "old"
for any speaker who is stating the definition of "old"
is:
"Fifteen Years Older Than I Am Now."

Exception:
When the speaker turns 90
the definition of "old" becomes
"Ten Years Older Than I Am Now."

Exception #2:
When the speaker turns 100
the definition of "old" becomes
"What are you talking about? I am 'old'"

Trust me on this, I know a lot of "old" people.

Wayne, you were a vestibular research "guinea pig?" Thanks for donating yourself to the study. We need more volunteers like you.

Oh, and on the subject of cars, I'm a die-hard Mustang woman, myself, but you already knew that. Manual transmission preferred.

ChadK
04-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Oh, and on the subject of cars, I'm a die-hard Mustang woman, myself, but you already knew that. Manual transmission preferred.

Actually, I didn't. but now I do. :) One day I will get another Mustang....

TheAlchemist
04-10-2012, 06:54 PM
*hijack*

I'm having
Green Eggs and Ham
for supper
Neighbor-grown cage free eggs,
Easter ham and
garlic mustard greens(up already...I pull it out by the roots, something to eat plus I minimize an invasive species, a win/win) for the Green

skunkboy
04-10-2012, 06:55 PM
That short question could result in a long answer, since my career working directly for NASA spanned 21 years (not counting the time that I spent at JPL), and I still do some NASA related work as a contractor.

1a) Volunteer "guinea pig" for vestibular research and testing studies coincident with the early shuttle program (i.e. I got to know every cubic inch of the cabin in NASA's KC-135 "vomit comet," since I was one of the less sensitive test subjects).

OOOoooooo.... the Vomit Comet.... always thought it would be fun to go up in that.
And then probably discover that I have weak stomach... ;)

skunkboy
04-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm pretty negative today since it is April 10th and it's snowing!!! It was like 80 degrees a week or two ago!!! WTF, I want to plant my Hops and the dang whether will not cooperate.

My hops in a pot are almost 10 inches tall, the silly things. Now I have to find something to run them up on.

ChadK
04-10-2012, 07:04 PM
*hijack*

I'm having
Green Eggs and Ham
for supper
Neighbor-grown cage free eggs,
Easter ham and
garlic mustard greens(up already...I pull it out by the roots, something to eat plus I minimize an invasive species, a win/win) for the Green

My hops in a pot are almost 10 inches tall, the silly things. Now I have to find something to run them up on.

My favorite Dr. Seuss book is "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins"

Was that a Double Jack?

skunkboy
04-10-2012, 07:17 PM
My favorite Dr. Seuss book is "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins"

Was that a Double Jack?

Nope...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/41/Jack_Skellington.jpeg

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/235137/jack-daniels-whiskey-glass.png

That's double jack.... ;)

ChadK
04-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Nope...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/41/Jack_Skellington.jpeg

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/235137/jack-daniels-whiskey-glass.png

That's double jack.... ;)

And I think the last time I saw the first Jack, I was spending some quality time with the second Jack.

Soyala_Amaya
04-10-2012, 07:37 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fwAP-TcBkaE/TU2E3yz4EbI/AAAAAAAABws/XAygmd1AaRs/s1600/1185277102441.jpg

And that's a Candle

skunkboy
04-10-2012, 07:40 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fwAP-TcBkaE/TU2E3yz4EbI/AAAAAAAABws/XAygmd1AaRs/s1600/1185277102441.jpg

And that's a Candle

"I'm going to need more rope!" :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYJUQ2OZ0ew Moose!

Soyala_Amaya
04-10-2012, 07:43 PM
I can't believe someone besides me watched that cartoon...

skunkboy
04-10-2012, 07:50 PM

It's no Tiny Toons, but its filled with weird humor, what's not to like?! :)

Deacon Aegis
04-10-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm still trying to get my Tauren Hunter up to 85... It's taking me forever.

Man, I completely understand. Actually I haven't played the game much in several months. I've got like four or five level 85's on the alliance side of things, though I may try some fun on the horde side. I'm just burned out on the tedium of the game. Once you hit a certain point, it becomes an over and over and over sort of thing. Running dailies, heroics, yadda... Just gets old and everything you struggle so hard to accomplish in one major expansion becomes a joke to do in the next. But there is a certain allure to running out in those areas where few player are at and explore some of the old familiar haunts that were so challenging the first time around. ;)

Oh, now I understand they are going to do a race based on Pandas... Should be fun. I'm gonna see if I can snag up the name, "Panda Pal" Hehehe

ChadK
04-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Man, I completely understand. Actually I haven't played the game much in several months. I've got like four or five level 85's on the alliance side of things, though I may try some fun on the horde side. I'm just burned out on the tedium of the game. Once you hit a certain point, it becomes an over and over and over sort of thing. Running dailies, heroics, yadda... Just gets old and everything you struggle so hard to accomplish in one major expansion becomes a joke to do in the next. But there is a certain allure to running out in those areas where few player are at and explore some of the old familiar haunts that were so challenging the first time around. ;)

Oh, now I understand they are going to do a race based on Pandas... Should be fun. I'm gonna see if I can snag up the name, "Panda Pal" Hehehe

I'm rather proud of myself in getting my first toon to 70. (I don't have Litch King or Cata) Of course, Now I need to drop the cash if I want to level up further. Dang it.

Chevette Girl
04-10-2012, 08:37 PM

That SO sucks, I've always had a soft spot for Camaros and Firebirds... and it's always fun finding out how many folks had Chevettes or similar crudbuckets... I dearly love my crudbucket although she looks like crap right now (can't find a good paint match for the bodywork I've done and half the moulding strips have fallen off and never bothered replacing the grille after hitting the deer - yes, I hit a deer and the Chevette won, it's also been goosed by some little import and bumped rear bumpers with a Tercel in a parking lot, plus it's had my mom's CRV back into it (chevette won that one too, yay for real bimpers) and someone else in a blue car dinged the fender in a parking lot one day, but none of it actually shows), but it's been a losing battle against rust here too, the amount of salt we put on the roads I don't know how any car makes it past ten if it hasn't been undercoated... I swear the only reason I got ten years out of this one when I bought it at 20 is because it'd been properly undercoated all its life and I continued it every year, although I've still had to have some major reconstructive work done on the frame over the years...

Another question, what straight guy wants to stare at a a male butt all the time? <shrug>It's why my hubby always had female alts... Nobody ever questioned whether I was m or f in rl as long as I did my job (this was LOTRO, not WoW, apparently they're much more polite than WoW over there).

"All is brick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob2vRJvuhpA)!"

TAKeyser
04-10-2012, 09:10 PM

Oh so you can drive stick? Sorry between "Girl's Got Toys" and "Got Wood" I just had to ;)

TheAlchemist
04-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Oh so you can drive stick? Sorry between "Girl's Got Toys" and "Got Wood" I just had to ;)

MmmmmHmmmm...;)

Frankly, I need to drive stick to keep my brain happy.

In John Irving's A Widow For One Year...the narrator has something to say about any guy who can't drive a stick...I concur.

Soyala_Amaya
04-10-2012, 09:19 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVl-doNlOsQ

Yes, I love weird net stuff

TAKeyser
04-10-2012, 09:25 PM
MmmmmHmmmm...;)

In John Irving's A Widow For One Year...the narrator has something to say about any guy who can't drive a stick...I concur.

Looks like I have a new book I'll have to read, after I finish LOTR that another thread enticed me to read once again.

Fisk Jaegaren
04-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Looks like I have a new book I'll have to read, after I finish LOTR that another thread enticed me to read once again.

LOTR, the original trilogy as it was written before Star Wars, yet some Star Wars fans say that it is the original trilogy. But how can it be any good if it doesn't have mead swigging dwarves in it? Furthermore, the Hobbit is now being made into 2 movies, grrr, my add will not take it!

Altricious
04-10-2012, 10:24 PM
MmmmmHmmmm...;)

Everyone should be able to drive stick. Just like everyone should know how to use their mirrors, parallel park (without the car doing it for you :P), tow AND BACK UP a trailer, and drive in heavy traffic without causing an accident.

Unfortunately, the average intelligence of drivers requires us to pass laws that say you can't text while driving. I'm sorry, if you're too stupid to realize that taking both hands off the wheel and looking away from the road at the same time and for more than a fraction of a second is unsafe, then feel free to remove yourself from the gene pool by driving into a tree. Try not to take anyone with you who is smarter than yourself.

It's a sad, sad world.

ChadK
04-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Everyone should be able to drive stick. Just like everyone should know how to use their mirrors, parallel park (without the car doing it for you :P), tow AND BACK UP a trailer, and drive in heavy traffic without causing an accident.

Unfortunately, the average intelligence of drivers requires us to pass laws that say you can't text while driving. I'm sorry, if you're too stupid to realize that taking both hands off the wheel and looking away from the road at the same time and for more than a fraction of a second is unsafe, then feel free to remove yourself from the gene pool by driving into a tree. Try not to take anyone with you who is smarter than yourself.

It's a sad, sad world.

Sadly, I did not learn how to truly use my mirrors (and thus effectively parallel park) until my EVOC training in academy last fall.

And regarding the "stick" thread here--day-um. I guess I can go PG or PG-13 here. I had no idea.

akueck
04-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Wait, are we supposed to stop at PG-13?

I need to learn to drive stick. I don't think it should be that hard. I did it once, but I wouldn't say I'm good at it after that.

I'm really good at mirrors and turn signals though. Biking to work on Bay Area roads makes you very aware of cars and everything else on the road. And very pissed off at all the idiots who think safety features are optional. It's not just for your safety, it's for mine too!

Chevette Girl
04-10-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm sorry, if you're too stupid to realize that taking both hands off the wheel and looking away from the road at the same time and for more than a fraction of a second is unsafe, then feel free to remove yourself from the gene pool by driving into a tree. Try not to take anyone with you who is smarter than yourself.

Unfortunately, it's like drunk driving: the problem is that they always think they are better than the statistics "I'm a good enough driver that this rule shouldn't apply to me!", and then they rarely take only themselves out... and no matter how good a driver you may be, you're still at the mercy of the other morons on the road, one of my friends still has neck problems after getting rear-ended by some dippy teenager who failed to notice the stopped cars waiting to make a left turn in a clearly marked left turn lane, in broad daylight. We never found out if there was a cellphone distraction involved or not...

...and I haven't had enough practice backing up with a trailer because the last trailer I got to practice with wasn't visible behind the pickup truck so I couldn't tell which way it was going. But I wasn't that bad the time I rented a U-Haul for the Chevette. But although this one's an automatic, my last three were stick, and I can parallel park my 'vette anywhere, once got in so tight it took me 5 min to wiggle my way back out again... (PG-13 that!) And this is without a passenger-side mirror. Apparently on Chevettes, a second mirror is an option...

wayneb
04-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Apparently on Chevettes, a second mirror is an option...

That was true for all Detroit Big 3 products until the Japanese started including them as standard on everything, back in the early 80's. Of course it took Detroit over a decade to catch on....

TAKeyser
04-11-2012, 12:02 AM
That was true for all Detroit Big 3 products until the Japanese started including them as standard on everything, back in the early 80's. Of course it took Detroit over a decade to catch on....

hey don't mess with Detroit

wayneb
04-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Not Detroit, just the (not so) Big (anymore) 3! ;D

akueck
04-11-2012, 12:10 AM
I got really good at parallel parking in college. The street was always packed and there were winter restrictions from (I think) November through March. Even side on even days... So I had to move the car every day (I could not afford off-street parking) in the winter, in the snow, on a hill. Once I got the car into a space about 2 inches longer than the car itself--without bumping either car. The only way that happened was that my back tires got stuck in the snow pile in front of the car behind me, the front tires slid in the snow, and the car just pivoted sideways into the spot. :o Took forever and a day to get it out the next day.

Course with those restrictions you'd think they'd plow the empty side, you know, occasionally. Nope. Thanks NY!

TAKeyser
04-11-2012, 12:16 AM
When I went to Truck Driving School in Wisconsin, I was so happy on the last day when they asked who lived in Ohio and I didn't have to raise my hand because all the students from Ohio had to stay an extra day to learn how to Parallel Park a Semi w/Trailer because Ohio required it on their test. F**K that, I couldn't imagine having to do that.

Deacon Aegis
04-11-2012, 02:31 AM
I'm rather proud of myself in getting my first toon to 70. (I don't have Litch King or Cata) Of course, Now I need to drop the cash if I want to level up further. Dang it.

Actually, I think Blizzard is offering a free upgrade to the Litch King expansion if you get a friend or somebody currently playing to send you an invite back to the game called a "scroll of ressurection". Unfortunately, since I'm not currently playing, I can't send one. I'm trying to get my brother-in-law to send one to my wife and to me so I can get a special bonus myself. It also seems that if you can get someone to send you one, you get a free week of play time, plus you can raise any toon you have to level 80 instantly, even if you start one off at first level. That makes it rather simple to get one up to 85. I may hit a point where I'm starting to delete level 85 toons to make new ones if I do too many more characters.

On to another note, I saw that some folks here were truck drivers. I drove for CR England for a couple of years and also had to do the parallel park manuever with the rig. It really isn't that difficult if you learn the right method. By the time I was done over the course of two days, I could easily put that truck exactly where I wanted it. =)

ChadK
04-11-2012, 04:26 AM
Actually, I think Blizzard is offering a free upgrade to the Litch King expansion if you get a friend or somebody currently playing to send you an invite back to the game called a "scroll of ressurection". Unfortunately, since I'm not currently playing, I can't send one. I'm trying to get my brother-in-law to send one to my wife and to me so I can get a special bonus myself. It also seems that if you can get someone to send you one, you get a free week of play time, plus you can raise any toon you have to level 80 instantly, even if you start one off at first level. That makes it rather simple to get one up to 85. I may hit a point where I'm starting to delete level 85 toons to make new ones if I do too many more characters.

On to another note, I saw that some folks here were truck drivers. I drove for CR England for a couple of years and also had to do the parallel park manuever with the rig. It really isn't that difficult if you learn the right method. By the time I was done over the course of two days, I could easily put that truck exactly where I wanted it. =)

But I'm an active player. I may look into it anyhow.

I dunno about truck driving, but I can do a reverse serpentine in a Crown Vic at 15 mph.

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 08:26 AM

Yea, but....

... it's Michigan. I mean, I live in Maine and we get cold weather too, but.

Michigan.
Also, do you remember a year or two back, we got snow in May.

MAY.

You know, right after I joined the forum I thought "Why did I pick HunnyBunz as a user name? It sounds stupid & seems a little femish."

Oh well. It's still kind of fun when those of the opposite gender say "Hey HunnyBunz."

I think its a great name, HunnyBunz ;) My poker nickname was Cutie, so I had plenty of straight dudes calling me Cutie out in public afterwards.

On an unrelated note, I remember being the young guy when I joined the forum. Guess I'm getting old now...

What, come on... I can't be the youngest guy on here now... Besides -- and maybe it's cause of the hat -- but you don't look that old in your avatar..

Wow, really? You're making ME feel old (you're ten years my junior, even my car is older than you) ...he was in the Boomer generation, well before your time...

...Oh, and do you know what the definition of "old" is?

The Definition of Old:
The definition of "old"
for any speaker who is stating the definition of "old"
is:
"Fifteen Years Older Than I Am Now."

Apparently, according to Alchemist's definition, you're technically not old, then, when compared to me. Neither is your car.
Besides, like someone I know says, you're not old until you can't get outta bed in the morning cause you broke your hip in your sleep.

It's called Role-playing, and I guess you're pretty good at it.

I can't do it. Although I whole-heartedly agree that the females are much more appealing to the eyes (as is in all cases of life), I feel wierd RPGing as anything other than male, or at least asexual. I'm not sure why. There are definitely plenty of pics of me dressed as a girl (my best friend's sister did us up in make-up for a theatre make up class in college; we were some hot ladies).

...and my whole family's riddled with us sinister types on both sides, my brother the full-on righty is a minority if you consider all my aunts and uncles, Mom's ambi-right and I'm ambi-left. My dad was a full-on lefty and far as he ever told me, never caught any crap for it in school or from the religious ones in the family,

...I'm mostly ambi. I still eat by holding utensils with my left hand more than my right, and I can switch hands at will when using hand tools. I was also an expert at a left handed kill shot back in the days that I played handball. But pencil or pen are only useful to me when I wield them with my right hand.

Wow.. do you think it's hereditary for people to come out of the womb lefty or righty? And then we 'learn' the other from experience or out of necessity?

I'd like to have been a lefty, or moreso, ambi. It really would've come in handy when I had surgery on my right shoulder.

heh... I said 'handy'... lol.

But the short summary list of "stuff" that I've done includes:
1) Flight Controller at Mission Control in Houston for the Space Shuttle in the early days (pre-1984).
2) Space shuttle payload accommodations engineer at NASA Goddard.
3) Attached payload accommodation manager for the Space Station Program
(back in the early design era - before any components were built).
4) Earth Remote Sensing engineering/science for various microwave instruments and IR-optical systems (things like developing the sensors that were incorporated on weather and climate satellites, and calibration of the instruments on Landsat satellites).
5) etc. (any more and this will no longer qualify as a short summary!)

OOOoooooo.... the Vomit Comet.... always thought it would be fun to go up in that.
And then probably discover that I have weak stomach...

Wow. Wow. You have done a lot of very important things in life. My father in law always says the smartest and toughest people in the world are the Polish. He's very proud of his people. He always tells me of Polish accomplishments. I'll have to have him add these to the list.
I'd like to do important things in my life. Nothing to gain recognition or anything; I just want to know that I did something worth doing.

Also, I agree with skunkboy; I'd LOVE to jump on the vomit comet, see how much I could handle.

Man, I completely understand. Actually I haven't played the game much in several months. I've got like four or five level 85's on the alliance side of things, though I may try some fun on the horde side. I'm just burned out on the tedium of the game. Once you hit a certain point, it becomes an over and over and over sort of thing. Running dailies, heroics, yadda... Just gets old and everything you struggle so hard to accomplish in one major expansion becomes a joke to do in the next. But there is a certain allure to running out in those areas where few player are at and explore some of the old familiar haunts that were so challenging the first time around.

Yea, I have one toon at 54, and all the rest of my 10 toons are 20 and less (most being less than 10). I should be playing to reach lvl 85, but really, I like taking my tauren and just exploring lands. I took him through lvl 50 alliance territories when he was lvl 38 or 40 just to see if i can sneak around and see things while surviving. I get more kicks out of that than I do questing.

Yea, Panda monks. should be interesting. They're neutral, so they can play both sides, but you have to choose at lvl 10 or something. And. They're pretty much based off of the panda in Kung Fu Panda. They specialise in food, lol. Also, they're homeland is a giant turtle or something, so that's cool.

QUOTE=ChadK;188723]But I'm an active player. I may look into it anyhow.
[/QUOTE]

If you need / want it, I can send you a scroll of resurrection. I don't really know how it works, but I've definitely seen the button on my friends list page.

MmmmmHmmmm...

Heh... my wife is great with stick; but she can't drive manual transmission cars. :rolleyes:

Everytime we go out and we take my car, I have to be DD cause she doesn't want to learn stick shift.

I dunno about truck driving, but I can do a reverse serpentine in a Crown Vic at 15 mph.

That's pretty cool. Now you have to learn to parallel park by speeding and then stopping/swerving into the parking spot

I can't do any tricks with my car, but I do love my car. I bought it with the specific intention of keeping it until it no longer works.

Here she is!
With her new bumper:
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k543/PenguinSub/Baja/New%20Bumper/2011-11-04173225.jpg

And before the new bumper (at my buddy's house):
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k543/PenguinSub/Baja/Baja007.jpg

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 08:28 AM
:eek: Also, sorry for the wall of text. I try to keep things connected.

Altricious
04-11-2012, 09:33 AM
If you need / want it, I can send you a scroll of resurrection. I don't really know how it works, but I've definitely seen the button on my friends list page.

Ditto. Apparently you're limited to sending 2 a day: one from WoW directly and the other from battlenet I think.

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Ditto. Apparently you're limited to sending 2 a day: one from WoW directly and the other from battlenet I think.

So to all the WoW-ers on here:

I'm Dogbull, Tauren on Uldaman. Feel free to say hi to me. I've got a few other toons, but I refuse to play them for now until I make it to lvl 85.

ChadK
04-11-2012, 10:57 AM
So to all the WoW-ers on here:

I'm Dogbull, Tauren on Uldaman. Feel free to say hi to me. I've got a few other toons, but I refuse to play them for now until I make it to lvl 85.

If it saves me the money of buying Litch King, I'd appreciate it. My main is Zaakril, a troll druid, on Ysera. She's capped out at 70, but I'm still working on her rep and capping out her Jewelcrafting.

Yes, it is roleplaying. These young whippersnappers don't know about roleplaying cause they didn't cut their teeth on the red box like us old folk. ;)

Nice bumper. Are you converting her to a rally car?

wayneb
04-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Also, I agree with skunkboy; I'd LOVE to jump on the vomit comet, see how much I could handle.

You may get the chance, sort of. It is my understanding that someone is trying to develop an amusement park ride that will give you more than a second or two of zero-g as part of the experience. It will be something like the Superman The Escape at Magic Mountain in California -- only a lot taller!

I can't do any tricks with my car, but I do love my car. I bought it with the specific intention of keeping it until it no longer works.

Dude! It's a 'Roo!! Good luck with that; you may die before the car does! ;)

I just gave away my '96 Outback (with 298K+ miles on the ODO), because my son wrecked it, getting up close and personal with a tree while trying to avoid a deer. The guy I gave it to basically pulled out all the dented sheet metal, straightened the bumper and replaced one headlight assembly... and he now drives it into work here every day. Most Subarus will last nearly indefinitely if you do the scheduled maintenance on them.

ChadK
04-11-2012, 11:07 AM

I just gave away my '96 Outback (with 298K+ miles on the ODO), because my son wrecked it, getting up close and personal with a tree while trying to avoid a deer. The guy I gave it to basically pulled out all the dented sheet metal, straightened the bumper and replaced one headlight assembly... and he now drives it into work here every day. Most Subarus will last nearly indefinitely if you do the scheduled maintenance on them.

Yeah, there's a reason my friend and I play "count the Subarus" when we go up in the mountains.

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 11:34 AM
If it saves me the money of buying Litch King, I'd appreciate it. My main is Zaakril, a troll druid, on Ysera. She's capped out at 70, but I'm still working on her rep and capping out her Jewelcrafting.

I'll send you one tonight after work; see if it'll work. If not, I'll send you a PM or something.

My guy's doing leatherworking, and I'll tell you what; I'm a little behind on those skills. My cooking, first aid, skinning and fishing are pretty high up, tho. And my rep needs plenty of work. I've made a bet with my brother in law that I could make lvl 85 before Mists of Panderia comes out at the end of this year.

You may get the chance, sort of. It is my understanding that someone is trying to develop an amusement park ride that will give you more than a second or two of zero-g as part of the experience. It will be something like the Superman The Escape at Magic Mountain in California -- only a lot taller!

That would be AWESOME. There was a show on tv that just showed the USA's most terifyingly awesome rides, including one where they just drop you into a net from way up high, no strings attached. I'd love to try that as well.

Do you know where they plan on building this fantasmical ride of fabulosity?

Nice bumper. Are you converting her to a rally car?
Yeah, there's a reason my friend and I play "count the Subarus" when we go up in the mountains.

Haha, yea it is! I'm on newenglandsubarus.com. I'm the black sheep over there for having (a) a Baja, and (b) wanting to lift it and make it rugged rather than performance based. I don't think I'll ever make her an actual rally car, but I wouldn't mind being able to take her off-roading a bit. A little luxury, too (I just installed seat heaters so I can have a warm tush).

Your son is lucky he didn't get too hurt. Lucky he was in a subaru, I guess;). You're not the first person who said they racked it up in miles, either. One guy told me he bought an outback (I think outback) for $500 from an old lady cause it had 198k miles on it. He drove it to 300k miles. It's a big reason as to why I was okay buying this one at 99.9k miles for $10k.

And to be honest, it's like everyone up here has at least one subaru in their family.

ChadK
04-11-2012, 11:47 AM
I'll send you one tonight after work; see if it'll work. If not, I'll send you a PM or something.

Haha, yea it is! I'm on newenglandsubarus.com. I'm the black sheep over there for having (a) a Baja, and (b) wanting to lift it and make it rugged rather than performance based.

But rugged IS performance. Just a different kind of performance. And thanks for the scroll of rez--if it works, that is--even if it doesn't, actually. I appreciate the thought/effort.

wayneb
04-11-2012, 12:09 PM
And to be honest, it's like everyone up here has at least one subaru in their family.
Same here. If there is an unofficial "state car" for Colorado, it is the Subaru.

akueck
04-11-2012, 12:52 PM
We LOVE our Outback. Took it on the road trip across the country last summer, and have missed it ever since. We even bought a '97 Legacy for our car in New Zealand. Luckily we will be reunited with our Outback in a week and a half. [we left it in Philadelphia]

When we visited Seattle we were told that the Outback was the official car of Seattle-area lesbians. Who decides these things?

TheAlchemist
04-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Garlic Mustard
I know, it's several pages back by now...
Very bitter. Anybody ever used it in a wort?

As for the cellar door incident...yes, it was "an accident."

ChadK
04-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Garlic Mustard
I know, it's several pages back by now...
Very bitter. Anybody ever used it in a wort?

As for the cellar door incident...yes, it was "an accident."

It may be a couple pages back, but it's totally in the spirit of the thread to resurrect it. I guess it depends on the aroma, but you could use just about anything bitter in lieu of hops.

Matrix4b
04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
We LOVE our Outback. Took it on the road trip across the country last summer, and have missed it ever since. We even bought a '97 Legacy for our car in New Zealand. Luckily we will be reunited with our Outback in a week and a half. [we left it in Philadelphia]

When we visited Seattle we were told that the Outback was the official car of Seattle-area lesbians. Who decides these things?

I love Suburus. I have a 2002 Impreza Outback. I have found that each has one flaw. Different for each car. Sometimes it is a recurring but otherwise they are awesome. If you can live with the flaw or get the flaw fixed inexpensively then you have a car that will last forever. I think that Fate says that you can't have THAT good of a car and we need something to drive people away from them and to other companies. That is the true reason for the single flaw.

Matrix

wayneb
04-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Matrix, you may be on to something fundamental there - a kind of "car Karma" principle! ;D

I should mention that we still have our '97 Impreza, and since it has only 260K miles on it, I expect it will be a part of our household for years to come. It does have the "single flaw" that you mentioned, which manifests itself as a problem with catalytic converters and/or O2 sensors. No combination of replacements thereof has completely abated the dreaded "check engine" light... but we continue to hope that one day, we will find a cure.... :(

Deacon Aegis
04-11-2012, 01:55 PM

Altriciouis and Penguinetti, I really appreciate the offer to send me a scroll of ressurection for the game. Let me check with my wife and see if her brother is going to send her one or not. If we don't get one by Friday, I'll give you both a PM with the info to send it to. ;D

Oh and sorry all for the delayed response. This thread is crazy to try and read and find discussions in. LOL I suppose that is the point of the thread. So with that spirit in mind, my wife just recently bought Season 1 of Game of Thrones. It was very good, somewhat naughty, and overall I am chomping at the bit to see season 2. The problem is we watch virtually no television, so we haven't had cable or satellite in years. I don't want to pay for 100 channels of crap to watch one show... Gah I wish HBO had an internet subscription service that wasn't linked to a cable subscription. HBO Go requires you to have a cable subscription. When will these production houses learn that there is a market they could tap if they so chose to do so.

HunnyBunz
04-11-2012, 02:24 PM
I think its a great name, HunnyBunz ;) My poker nickname was Cutie, so I had plenty of straight dudes calling me Cutie out in public afterwards.

Thanks Cutie! Just call me "HunnyBunz the Mead Swilling Viking" ;D

Heh... my wife is great with stick; but she can't drive manual transmission cars. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised Altricious didn't pick up on this. :p

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 02:53 PM

Out here they say it's the Forester, so... I guess all you need is a boxy wagon/hatchback/SUV type thing.

Oh... boxy... maybe that's why...

I love Suburus. I have a 2002 Impreza Outback. I have found that each has one flaw. Different for each car. ...

Matrix, you may be on to something fundamental there - a kind of "car Karma" principle!......It does have the "single flaw" that you mentioned, which manifests itself as a problem with catalytic converters and/or O2 sensors..... :(

The only issue I saw with the Baja was that most of the dash lights were out, but that was easily fixed with led strips soldered to the working bulb outlets.

Altriciouis and Penguinetti, I really appreciate the offer to send me a scroll of ressurection for the game. Let me check with my wife and see if her brother is going to send her one or not. If we don't get one by Friday, I'll give you both a PM with the info to send it to.

Welp. I'm around, so just let me know, and i'll see what I can do.

So with that spirit in mind, my wife just recently bought Season 1 of Game of Thrones. It was very good, somewhat naughty, and overall I am chomping at the bit to see season 2. The problem is we watch virtually no television, so we haven't had cable or satellite in years. I don't want to pay for 100 channels of crap to watch one show... Gah I wish HBO had an internet subscription service that wasn't linked to a cable subscription. HBO Go requires you to have a cable subscription. When will these production houses learn that there is a market they could tap if they so chose to do so.

I have not seen any Game of Thrones for the exact same reason. We got rid of cable and satellite tv. No need for it, really. But I have heard GoT is a fantastic show to watch, and I do miss the Food Network and HGTV.

Thanks Cutie! Just call me "HunnyBunz the Mead Swilling Viking" ;D

Oh, I will HunnyBunz the Mead Swilling Viking (kindofa mouthful).

Eh.. can't blame her, it was a long read.

Chevette Girl
04-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Apparently, according to Alchemist's definition, you're technically not old, then, when compared to me. Neither is your car.
Besides, like someone I know says, you're not old until you can't get outta bed in the morning cause you broke your hip in your sleep.

I tell ya, some days it feels like it...

Wow.. do you think it's hereditary for people to come out of the womb lefty or righty? And then we 'learn' the other from experience or out of necessity?

I'd like to have been a lefty, or moreso, ambi. It really would've come in handy when I had surgery on my right shoulder.

Yeah, it's partially genetic and is even expressed before birth, according to wikipedia. But as people have shown, nurture can take it over. I find a lot of the things I do with only one hand are a lot harder to do with the other hand because I don't get the practice, but for example when I started crocheting, I had to learn righty because that's how my mom's mom taught her, and then map it across to lefty, but when I started it was equally awkward with either hand, now that my left hand has had a lot of practice, it works better with that hand but if I were to do a couple baby blankets rightie, I'm sure I'd be just as proficient. But when I separated my left shoulder, there was nothing I could do about brushing my teeth, it's just wrong with the right hand...

Totally agree!

Nifty!! And I always intend to keep my cars until they no longer work and can no longer be safely repaired... As I always say, Reduce Reuse Reanimate!!! (one of my friends who does cakes wants to make a Zombie Chevette cake for me when I retire the thing)

And let me guess, you like your daughter good and your wife bad too? ,evil grin>

Most Subarus will last nearly indefinitely if you do the scheduled maintenance on them.

My friend's Roo (which is what she calls it too) recently needed a new head gasket and it had been properly maintained...

Matrix, you may be on to something fundamental there - a kind of "car Karma" principle! ;D

It does have the "single flaw" that you mentioned, which manifests itself as a problem with catalytic converters and/or O2 sensors. No combination of replacements thereof has completely abated the dreaded "check engine" light... but we continue to hope that one day, we will find a cure.... :(

That's not an uncommon problem for cars these days... my friend just went through that with an Accent, and another friend had the same thing with her Grand Prix. Chevette doesn't have an oxygen sensor that I know of, nor does it have a check engine light, but all my 'vettes have had interesting little personality quirks, mostly similar. I've done it twice now so I think it's a Chevette-wide thing, but if your alternator has stopped working and you're running only on the battery (you get a couple hours if you leave the headlights off), your "get somewhere with a charger, you're not getting it started again" warning light is when the seatbelt light comes on, I guess it's when there's not enough power to hold the solenoid open...

Gah I wish HBO had an internet subscription service that wasn't linked to a cable subscription. HBO Go requires you to have a cable subscription. When will these production houses learn that there is a market they could tap if they so chose to do so.

I hear you, I watch all my "TV" off the internet these days, or we just buy the series... cable tv in my house would be a waste of time and money, last time my TV was tuned into an actual station was 9/11 when I wanted to watch the news...

Altricious
04-11-2012, 03:15 PM

Who says I didn't? ;)
I'm just trying to be good because there's really nothing I could say that wouldn't be totally raunchy and unladylike.

I have not seen any Game of Thrones for the exact same reason. We got rid of cable and satellite tv. No need for it, really. But I have heard GoT is a fantastic show to watch, and I do miss the Food Network and HGTV.

This is why people download the torrents of the show. Sure, it's not exactly legal, but it's free and things this popular are uploaded very quickly. GoT is fantastically naughty so naturally I'm a fan. If you want to download it easily by torrent you can try here: http://eztv.it/shows/481/game-of-thrones/ Not that *I* would every do that myself because I'm a good, upstanding citizen.

ChadK
04-11-2012, 04:06 PM
This quote thing is getting unwieldy. But, Chevette Girl. That quote in your post was from Penguinetti, not me. :) My ex drove manual transmission cars all the time, but refused to learn how to drive stick.

Chevette Girl
04-11-2012, 04:24 PM
I'd rather put it all in one post than add 5 different posts every time I catch up on this thread and have things to say :p And it's now too late for me to fix that, there's only a one-hour window where you can edit posts. Oh, well.

And I can totally understand about not wanting to drive stick:rolleyes:, although I do believe everyone should learn manual transmission :D

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 05:00 PM
... there was nothing I could do about brushing my teeth, it's just wrong with the right hand... I feel the same way but for the other hand. I tried. I just can't do it.

... As I always say, Reduce Reuse Reanimate!!! (one of my friends who does cakes wants to make a Zombie Chevette cake for me when I retire the thing)
And let me guess, you like your daughter good and your wife bad too? ,evil grin>
I like that saying. A lot. Zombie, huh? Have you been watching The Walking Dead?

My buddy goes through cars like a teenage boy goes through kleenex.

Who says I didn't? ;)
I'm just trying to be good because there's really nothing I could say that wouldn't be totally raunchy and unladylike.

I think in this crowd you'd be forgiven for being a little unladylike. But yea, I hear ya, I have to filter myself a whole lot.

I got in trouble my first week at work for not using my filter...yea, I was taken into the conference room in private and everything...

This is why people download the torrents of the show. Sure, it's not exactly legal, but it's free and things this popular are uploaded very quickly. GoT is fantastically naughty so naturally I'm a fan. If you want to download it easily by torrent you can try here: http://eztv.it/shows/481/game-of-thrones/ Not that *I* would every do that myself because I'm a good, upstanding citizen.

Of course you are; as am I. *I* wouldn't check this torrent out. But I'm sure it will definitely be a good link for someone to check out if they should so choose.

This quote thing is getting unwieldy. But, Chevette Girl. That quote in your post was from Penguinetti, not me. :) My ex drove manual transmission cars all the time, but refused to learn how to drive stick.

I'd rather put it all in one post than add 5 different posts every time I catch up on this thread and have things to say ...

And I can totally understand about not wanting to drive stick:rolleyes:, although I do believe everyone should learn manual transmission :D

I completely agree. I hate throwing responses to a bunch of comments, and a lot of times, forums don't allow multiple posts.

Chevette Girl
04-11-2012, 11:34 PM
I think in this crowd you'd be forgiven for being a little unladylike. But yea, I hear ya, I have to filter myself a whole lot.

I got in trouble my first week at work for not using my filter...yea, I was taken into the conference room in private and everything...

Umm, yeah. This IS with the filters on... we do have some obligation to Oxkaar and Vicky to keep the public stuff relatively clean.

... and yeah, I got one of those meetings at work too, early on. I think I may have eventually gotten fired after the filter fell off again, but this is what happens when you take someone like me out of the office and put me out in the shop with the construction workers... I'm worse than they are and we all know it.

<snerk> Ladylike? I won't even venture a definition, it will just lead to more mocking... I did make a set of crocheted plier-cozies once though... Shut up. The pliers were giving me blisters and I can't make chainmail wearing gloves.

And no, I have not been watching The Walking Dead... I saw that saying on a friend's T-shirt about three years ago and thought it really applied to my fixation on Chevettes, I have plans to remake it with a decrepit Chevette in the middle of the recycling triangle rather than the skull on the original. Yay for automotive necromancy!

ChadK
04-12-2012, 03:02 AM
Umm, yeah. This IS with the filters on... we do have some obligation to Oxkaar and Vicky to keep the public stuff relatively clean.

Stretching a bit on the connection, but I just felt like venting: I am hating Captcha right now. I was trying to register for a forum for this comic wait. actually this is a nice little segue so Deacon Aegis can talk steampunk leatherworking here. :) (http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4237) Anyhow, every time I tried to enter the captcha, it said it was wrong. I even tried the audio one and still, no dice.

Penguinetti
04-12-2012, 07:11 AM
[COLOR="Purple"]Umm, yeah. This IS with the filters on... we do have some obligation to Oxkaar and Vicky to keep the public stuff relatively clean.

... and yeah, I got one of those meetings at work too, early on. I think I may have eventually gotten fired after the filter fell off again, but this is what happens when you take someone like me out of the office and put me out in the shop with the construction workers... I'm worse than they are and we all know it.

<snerk> Ladylike? I won't even venture a definition, it will just lead to more mocking... I did make a set of crocheted plier-cozies once though... Shut up. The pliers were giving me blisters and I can't make chainmail wearing gloves.

lol, I read that as 'crotcheted'. Brought me to thoughts of assless chaps.

And I know what you mean about taking someone out of one place and into another, and then expecting them to act a certain way. At the shipyard I worked at in Spain, there were very few (if any) rules about how to act. Hell, the fire department / safety squad there had naked pics just plastering their walls. And girls worked there too.

Fast forward to the shipyard I'm at now, and I get sent to 'the principal's office' for saying one lousy word. I'll give you a hint; it's a safe word to say in a high school health class.

Stretching a bit on the connection, but I just felt like venting: I am hating Captcha right now. I was trying to register for a forum for this comic wait. actually this is a nice little segue so Deacon Aegis can talk steampunk leatherworking here. :) (http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4237) Anyhow, every time I tried to enter the captcha, it said it was wrong. I even tried the audio one and still, no dice.

Those. Bob. Damn. Captchas. I hate those things. I understand the point, but I mean come on! If you have to make it so hard that you need a bachelor's degree and a professional certificate or a sledge hammer to get through it, then I think it's being pretty counterproductive.

Matrix4b
04-12-2012, 09:17 AM

I should mention that we still have our '97 Impreza, and since it has only 260K miles on it, I expect it will be a part of our household for years to come. It does have the "single flaw" that you mentioned, which manifests itself as a problem with catalytic converters and/or O2 sensors. No combination of replacements thereof has completely abated the dreaded "check engine" light... but we continue to hope that one day, we will find a cure.... :(

My 2000 Impreza outback had the same problem. The O2 sensor kept going out. Hmm, odd. I don't remember what fixed it in the long term. Cleaning up the air filter and a little fuel cleaner helped out a bit.

Matrix

Soyala_Amaya
04-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Those. Bob. Damn. Captchas. I hate those things. I understand the point, but I mean come on! If you have to make it so hard that you need a bachelor's degree and a professional certificate or a sledge hammer to get through it, then I think it's being pretty counterproductive.

Actually, for a good while, there were certain captcha programs that weren't just screwed up looking letters. They were actually screen shots of screwed up words from documents that they couldn't translate to digital...so they stuck them out online and got thousands of responses per word that they needed digitized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCAPTCHA

Your captcha = free labor.

ChadK
04-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Actually, for a good while, there were certain captcha programs that weren't just screwed up looking letters. They were actually screen shots of screwed up words from documents that they couldn't translate to digital...so they stuck them out online and got thousands of responses per word that they needed digitized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCAPTCHA

Your captcha = free labor.

That's actually the exact captcha I was fighting with last night. I like the idea of it, but dammit if it didn't seem to work.

Deacon Aegis
04-12-2012, 12:12 PM

Oh hey, I used to follow that comic! I forget why I stopped, maybe it was one of the story archs really started ticking me off, but it has been a while since I read that one. As for steampunk comics, the infinitely definitive one would probably be http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php. I have a list of about 20 others I read on a regular basis (though they are not steampunk), but I'll save that for the when we all start comparing what online comics we read. Hehe.

Oh and as a side note.... BACON! ;D

Penguinetti
04-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Oh hey, I used to follow that comic! I forget why I stopped, maybe it was one of the story archs really started ticking me off, but it has been a while since I read that one. As for steampunk comics, the infinitely definitive one would probably be http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php. I have a list of about 20 others I read on a regular basis (though they are not steampunk), but I'll save that for the when we all start comparing what online comics we read. Hehe.

Oh and as a side note.... BACON! ;D

BACON!!!! Oh, and stupid links. I've been stuck reading sinfest for quite some time now.

And if we're gonna compare, then; besides the usual happiness and cyanide and xkcd, I used to (years ago) read questionable content and lately i've been reading oglaf (NSFW).

But seriously, I need to stop reading webcomics and get back to doing productive things...

ChadK
04-12-2012, 12:42 PM
BACON!!!! Oh, and stupid links. I've been stuck reading sinfest for quite some time now.

And if we're gonna compare, then; besides the usual happiness and cyanide and xkcd, I used to (years ago) read questionable content and lately i've been reading oglaf (NSFW).

But seriously, I need to stop reading webcomics and get back to doing productive things...

I never got into Happiness and Cyanide or Girl Genius. But I love xkcd. Another one I just discovered is Gunnerkrigg Court (http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/index2.php). I ended up staying up almost all night the night I discovered it, reading it from beginning to present. Come to think of it, that has some steampunk elements too.

Chevette Girl
04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
I was most amused at Steampunk Jesus this morning on Sinfest. I've been reading Girl Genius for years and recently found (and read all of) Questionable Content (the art has improved a lot over the years), but I read so many others (including OGLAF and a few more not safe for work) that it'd be longer than my to-brew list to list them all... A Girl and Her Fed recently featured some Aikido, and Real Life features mead every now and again :) I think about the only one I read for a while and then dropped and never got back into was Sluggy Freelance... although my rabbit has been known to threaten people with a switchblade from time to time.

Soyala_Amaya
04-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Hmmm...I just checked my webcomics list, and after adding D20monkey the other day...I am up 182.

A few stars on my list I hit all the time (skipping over one's that have already been mentioned...of which I've read, oh, all of them):
Charby the Vampirate
The Devils Panties
Order of the Stick
DMFA (Dan and Mab's Fabulous Adventures)
Least I Could Do
Jack (http://www.pholph.com/strip.php?id=5&sid=363)
Evil Comic
Something Positive
Girls with Slingshots
Wpsi Square
In His Likeness
Dominic Deegan
PVP
Commissioned Comic
Las Lindas
Two Lumps
Schlock Mercenary
Oz Foxes
Yet Another Fantasy Gaming Comic
Ctrl/Alt/Del
Little Gamers
Weregeek
Kevin and Kell
User Friendly
Looking For Group
Code Name Hunter
Goblins
Complex Actions
Gene Catlow
Drow Tales

..And those were just the highlights of the ones I try to hit once a week. Yep, geek over here!

Penguinetti
04-12-2012, 02:34 PM
[COLOR="Purple"]... Questionable Content (the art has improved a lot over the years), but I read so many others (including OGLAF and a few more not safe for work) that it'd be longer than my to-brew list to list them all...

What are some of the other NSFW ones you've read. (Yes, I get a kick out of raunchy humour. I'm a perv. I'm come to terms with it).

Hmmm...I just checked my webcomics list, and after adding D20monkey the other day...I am up 182.

A few stars on my list I hit all the time (skipping over one's that have already been mentioned...of which I've read, oh, all of them):
Charby the Vampirate
..And those were just the highlights of the ones I try to hit once a week. Yep, geek over here!

How have you found time to read all of those? Seriously, that is a lot.

Altricious
04-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Bad art and tasteless humor can be found here: http://www.smbc-comics.com/#comic

I often find it funny, then feel mildly ashamed.

Deacon Aegis
04-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Yeah, here's a list of the online comics I read:
Catena Comics (hasn't updated in nearly a year, was fun)
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Dream Keepers
Fey Winds
Girl Genius
GU Comics
Gutters
Ill Will Press - Foamy the Squirrel
Kevin and Kell
Least I Could Do
Looking For Group
Luci Phurr's Imps
Off The Mark
On The Fastrack
PvP
Quantum Vibe
Schlock Mercenary
Sequential Art
Starslip Crisis
The Abominable Charles Christopher
Weregeek

I used to read Jack, Two Lumps, Order of the Stick, and a few others, but got bored with a few of those and wore out on a few of the others. It happens though. Right now, I'm pretty worn out on Schlock Mercenary, PvP, and Starslip Crisis as well. I'll generally stop checking them for a while, then when I get back into the mood, I'll go back and read the archives to catch back up. (I had to check and make sure I was in the right thread for hijacking, though this is actually kinda on topic for the past several posts... LOL)

Oh, and once again, BACON! ;D

ChadK
04-12-2012, 04:02 PM
I used to read Jack, Two Lumps, Order of the Stick, and a few others, but got bored with a few of those and wore out on a few of the others. It happens though. Right now, I'm pretty worn out on Schlock Mercenary, PvP, and Starslip Crisis as well. I'll generally stop checking them for a while, then when I get back into the mood, I'll go back and read the archives to catch back up. (I had to check and make sure I was in the right thread for hijacking, though this is actually kinda on topic for the past several posts... LOL)

I like that, although I already read a lot of the comics that have been mentioned, there are also a lot I now need to check out.

Now that you mention it, we have been on the webcomic topic for a bit. Might be time for another hijack.

Penguinetti
04-12-2012, 04:19 PM
I forgot about Foamy! (with the creamy cream cheese, the cheesy cheesy cream cheese).

Speaking of cheese, I think i'm gonna make some Provoleta tonight. Mmm... provoleta.

Altricious
04-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Speaking of cheese, I think i'm gonna make some Provoleta tonight. Mmm... provoleta.

Where's mine?

ChadK
04-12-2012, 05:40 PM
I forgot about Foamy! (with the creamy cream cheese, the cheesy cheesy cream cheese).

Google is your friend. :) and now I know what provoleta is.

Penguinetti
04-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Where's mine?

Google is your friend. :) and now I know what provoleta is.

Provoleta is one of the most awesome appetizers my family has. And if any of you guys were in the area, I'm always down for company at dinnertime.

It's what we do.

ChadK
04-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Provoleta is one of the most awesome appetizers my family has. And if any of you guys were in the area, I'm always down for company at dinnertime.

It's what we do.

That sounds good, but Main a bit of a jaunt from Colorado. Although that does make me think--I notice there is quite the Colorado contingent round these parts. I know I'm new to the scene (what with only having a JAOM underway,) but are there regional "Got Mead" meetups?

Penguinetti
04-12-2012, 06:01 PM
That sounds good, but Main a bit of a jaunt from Colorado. Although that does make me think--I notice there is quite the Colorado contingent round these parts. I know I'm new to the scene (what with only having a JAOM underway,) but are there regional "Got Mead" meetups?

You know, there should be. But I think, in my scenario, the closest person wouldn't be in the same state, even...

wayneb
04-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Provoleta.... I'm hungry.... ;D

Gotmead gathering? Hmmm... perhaps for the Colorado Front Range, sometime this summer at my place.

Anyone interested??

ChadK
04-12-2012, 06:11 PM

You know, there should be. But I think, in my scenario, the closest person wouldn't be in the same state, even...

Check me out. Quoting myself. Talking about my new-ness to mead making reminded me of my first (and until my JAOM is ready to drink, only) mead experience. I was at the Renn Faire a couple years back and I had never had mead before, but I'd wanted to try it for a long time.

I had bought a big ol' commemorative stein so I went up to a wench and asked her to fill it with mead. She kinda looked askance at me (in retrospect, I should have taken that as a hint.) but she did as I asked. Up until the point where I was making an absolute fool of myself and embarrassing my friends at the pirate show, I had always thought of mead as similar to beer, but made with honey. (and fortunately, I was not driving that day.)

Altricious
04-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Yeah, but you're barely in ME. I'm only a little over 4 hours from you, which means most of VT and NH are less. We could have a fine gathering in New England somewhere depending on how far people would travel.

Penguinetti
04-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Yeah, but you're barely in ME. I'm only a little over 4 hours from you, which means most of VT and NH are less. We could have a fine gathering in New England somewhere depending on how far people would travel.

Okay then, show of hands;

Who would be down for a New England meet somewhere?

Altricious
04-12-2012, 07:10 PM

*raises hand*

HunnyBunz
04-12-2012, 07:42 PM
*raises hand*

Wish I could join you guys, but you're like in another country. lol
So far there doesn't seem to be too many other meadmakers here in Orygun. :(

Chevette Girl
04-12-2012, 08:29 PM

<sigh> I hear ya, the nearest person to me on Gotmead is 4-6 hours away, even though they are in the same province...

What are some of the other NSFW ones you've read. (Yes, I get a kick out of raunchy humour. I'm a perv. I'm come to terms with it).

Ayup. Some of us embrace our dark sides. Sexy Losers (now completed but worth reading the archives), and Nic Buxom are two NSFW ones I like. And of course Least I Could Do.

Anyone else read Guilded Age?

Altricious
04-12-2012, 09:11 PM
<sigh> I hear ya, the nearest person to me on Gotmead is 4-6 hours away, even though they are in the same province...

Well, you're about 5 hours from me too.

skunkboy
04-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Yeah, here's a list of the online comics I read:
Catena Comics (hasn't updated in nearly a year, was fun)
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Dream Keepers
Fey Winds
Girl Genius
GU Comics
Gutters
Ill Will Press - Foamy the Squirrel
Kevin and Kell
Least I Could Do
Looking For Group
Luci Phurr's Imps
Off The Mark
On The Fastrack
PvP
Quantum Vibe
Schlock Mercenary
Sequential Art
Starslip Crisis
The Abominable Charles Christopher
Weregeek

All those and no Skin Horse? : http://skin-horse.com/

Penguinetti
04-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Ayup. Some of us embrace our dark sides. Sexy Losers (now completed but worth reading the archives), and Nic Buxom are two NSFW ones I like. And of course Least I Could Do.

Anyone else read Guilded Age?
Yea, you're provinces are huge. How close is your closest neighbor?

Also, I feel that one is not truly 3-dimensional unless he/she does embrace all sides (even some of the dark ones)

Well, you're about 5 hours from me too.
It looks like you're the midpoint for at least two of us; the meat to our sandwich, so to speak.

Any other takers?

Wish I could join you guys, but you're like in another country. lol
So far there doesn't seem to be too many other meadmakers here in Orygun. :(

Yea, man. Oregon's kind of far... although, just to feel a little more connected, I bought my bumper from a guy in Eugene, OR.

Chevette Girl
04-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Yea, you're provinces are huge. How close is your closest neighbor?

Physical proximity, I live in a stupid stacked condo so my neighbours, when they're home, are generally the equivalent of being in the same house. Which is really annoying when they leave their dog alone, he howls the whole time they're gone... even their new baby doesn't make that much frigging noise. Provincial borders, it'd take me probably half an hour if there's no traffic to get to Quebec but to get to the next province over would be a lot longer, probably 15 hours or something. The 'states is closer.

Also, I feel that one is not truly 3-dimensional unless he/she does embrace all sides (even some of the dark ones)

<shrug> Know your demons. Makes the workarounds easier.

It looks like you're the midpoint for at least two of us; the meat to our sandwich, so to speak.
Any other takers?

<snicker> not going there... not going there...

Yea, man. Oregon's kind of far... although, just to feel a little more connected, I bought my bumper from a guy in Eugene, OR.

Look at a map of Canada sometime, I got a frame member for my car from Halifax Nova Scotia... yay for FedEx.

Altricious
04-12-2012, 09:51 PM
[COLOR="Purple"]<snicker> not going there... not going there...

You're not going there? I'm the one who's the "meat".

TAKeyser
04-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Holy shit, I just went to order my new rifle and they offered me a whole $5 off if I agreed to right a review of it. Do they realize that $5 off of $9340 is pretty much nothing.

fivecats
04-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Holy shit, I just went to order my new rifle and they offered me a whole $5 off if I agreed to right a review of it. Do they realize that $5 off of $9340 is pretty much nothing.

That's because they want a right review, not a written review. They'll tell you what right things they want they want you to afix your signature to.

Five bucks for a simple signature seems fairly reasonable. Doesn't it? ;D

TAKeyser
04-12-2012, 10:11 PM
That's because they want a right review, not a written review. They'll tell you what right things they want they want you to afix your signature to.

Five bucks for a simple signature seems fairly reasonable. Doesn't it? ;D

they could at least make it worth my wild. $5 is like .001% off the total price what kind of discount is that?

Penguinetti
04-12-2012, 10:27 PM
they could at least make it worth my wild. $5 is like .001% off the total price what kind of discount is that?

You just said it.. it's like 0.001% discount...

Having said that, you excited about your new rifle? What kind is it?

You're not going there? I'm the one who's the "meat".

Physical ...<snicker> not going there... not going there...
Look at a map of Canada sometime, I got a frame member for my car from Halifax Nova Scotia... yay for FedEx.

rofl... In all fairness, the meat is the best part. Nobody ever orders a sandwich and says, 'hold the meat'.

Except for Mitch Hedburg. Really, this was all a ploy to segue Mitch Hedburg into things. He's hilarious.

and I concur.. FedEx is cool. Unless they don't knock...

TAKeyser
04-12-2012, 10:34 PM
You just said it.. it's like 0.001% discount...

Having said that, you excited about your new rifle? What kind is it?

Excited as hell. Precision rifle built to my specs http://www.accuracyinternational.com/ax_series.php

Chevette Girl
04-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Holy crap, that's more than I'd pay for a car... I'll show the specs to my hubby though, I'm sure he'll appreciate them, he knows firearms better than I ever will. We've been meaning to get him a rifle one of these days but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I've only ever used a .22 with iron sights at about twenty paces (I can't see much farther than that anyway), although I do enjoy target practice, we had a redneck christmas this year with my in-laws, we had a night of drinking, a morning of playing in the snow and an afternoon of shooting up all our empties.

I want to get my hands on a crossbow again though, if I could ever find somewhere I could use it... I'd go with a bow but all the swordwork I've done has wrecked my elbow tendons and I can't draw a bow at all, but I discovered I can load and fire a crossbow.

TAKeyser
04-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Now that I'm no longer in the military I'm not really sure where I'll be able to shoot it at. There's not very many mile long gun ranges in Detroit. It's so much nicer than my M24 though.

akueck
04-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Local meet-ups are great! I just met Yogi yesterday at Beer Revolution in Oakland for their sours & IPAs event. 45 tap lines, half sour and half IPA. It was glorious. The New Belgium Cocoa Mole wasn't really sour or hoppy, but it was fun to try anyway and was a good compliment to the Cantillon Kriek. The black "Berliner Rice" was also surprisingly good. And I ended the day on Palate Destroyer, which turns out to be appropriately named. I was a little tipsy going home. ;D

Now that I'm moving to the east coast it's time to meet the new neighbors. 4 hours is a bit of a drive, but if there is mead at the end... Or meat, I love meat too. And I mean pig, you sickos. :p

wayneb
04-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Excited as hell. Precision rifle built to my specs http://www.accuracyinternational.com/ax_series.php

SWEET! Come on out to Colorado sometime, and bring it along. We have plenty of places where you can shoot it. ;D

ChadK
04-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Whomever mentioned "Girl Genius" is an evil genius. I've been reading practically straight for the last 7 hours and I'm only to 2007. I just pulled myself away long enough to come say "thanks a lot for taking my sleep away from me tonight." And now back to the Heterodyne saga.

Chevette Girl
04-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Whomever mentioned "Girl Genius" is an evil genius. I've been reading practically straight for the last 7 hours and I'm only to 2007. I just pulled myself away long enough to come say "thanks a lot for taking my sleep away from me tonight." And now back to the Heterodyne saga.

Did the same thing a couple months ago, re-reading it right after I caught up on Questionable Content... Don't forget to go to work, if that's scheduled!

Deacon Aegis
04-13-2012, 01:54 AM

Mwahahaha, our evil plan to rule the world with steampunk and mead is unfolding as, errr well.... planned! Now I shall see if Bad Horse will let me into the Evil League of Evil.... Mwahahahaha!

Oh, gotta watch out for Othar Trygvassen, Gentleman Adventurer!

Deacon Aegis
04-13-2012, 01:57 AM
All those and no Skin Horse? : http://skin-horse.com/

Hmmm, not heard of that one. I'll have to give it a read. ;D

Penguinetti
04-13-2012, 07:58 AM
...Now that I'm moving to the east coast it's time to meet the new neighbors. 4 hours is a bit of a drive, but if there is mead at the end... Or meat, I love meat too. And I mean pig, you sickos. :p

Where did you say you were moving to in the east coast? Boston? Cause that's only a 1.25 hr drive for me.

Also, we won't judge you no matter what kind of meat you love.

This here :gestures to the area: is a judge-free zone.

'There's only two things I hate in this world; people who are intolerant of other people, and the dutch.'

My cousin would absolutely flip for the rifle. He's been buying guns for a while now. Nothing that heavy, i don't think. He's got at least one AR-15, a .45 pistol with light/laser, and... and... something else, but I can't remember.
I'm sure if you came this way (I know it's a little far) we'd definitely find you some space to shoot.

...I've only ever used a .22 with iron sights at about twenty paces (I can't see much farther than that anyway), although I do enjoy target practice, we had a redneck christmas this year with my in-laws, we had a night of drinking, a morning of playing in the snow and an afternoon of shooting up all our empties.

.22's are a lot of fun. My wife tried a .22 and a .45, both pistols. She got scared by the .45 but did okay with the .22

I think my favorite gun I've ever shot was the Remington 1903 (my cousin's friend's grandfather's WWII rifle, beautiful condition). This thing was heavy, but more accurate than any other gun i've shot.

[COLOR="Purple"]...I want to get my hands on a crossbow again though, if I could ever find somewhere I could use it... I'd go with a bow but all the swordwork I've done has wrecked my elbow tendons and I can't draw a bow at all, but I discovered I can load and fire a crossbow.

How hard is it to become accurate with a bow? I'd love to get into that. I've always been interested.

Mwahahaha, our evil plan to rule the world with steampunk and mead is unfolding as, errr well.... planned! Now I shall see if Bad Horse will let me into the Evil League of Evil.... Mwahahahaha!

Oh, gotta watch out for Othar Trygvassen, Gentleman Adventurer!

Whoa whoa whoa... just remember.

A man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do. Don't plan the plan, if you can't follow through.

Altricious
04-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Where did you say you were moving to in the east coast? Boston? Cause that's only a 1.25 hr drive for me.

Also, we won't judge you no matter what kind of meat you love.

This here :gestures to the area: is a judge-free zone.

I believe he said he was moving to Ithaca, NY. You know, if people really wanted to drive 4 to 5 hours, I could possibly host. Would depend on my schedule.

Penguinetti
04-13-2012, 08:29 AM
I believe he said he was moving to Ithaca, NY. You know, if people really wanted to drive 4 to 5 hours, I could possibly host. Would depend on my schedule.

I'd make the drive, but really its' up to my wife. And I don't see her being too enthused about a 5 hour drive for a mead meet...

'I am the man of my house, and I have my wife's permission to say so.'

Altricious
04-13-2012, 10:34 AM
I'd make the drive, but really its' up to my wife. And I don't see her being too enthused about a 5 hour drive for a mead meet...

Yeah, I don't really have much that would be drinkable soon anyway. Of course, I'd expect there'd be quite a bit of people bringing mead to share.

If I actually clean my house a bit, there'd be plenty of places to crash so no need to worry about over consuming or leaving early to head home. (That is, if you don't mind the floor.)

akueck
04-13-2012, 12:45 PM
'I am the man of my house, and I have my wife's permission to say so.'

I love this! I'll have to ask my wife if I can use it at our next party.

Penguinetti
04-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I don't really have much that would be drinkable soon anyway. Of course, I'd expect there'd be quite a bit of people bringing mead to share.

If I actually clean my house a bit, there'd be plenty of places to crash so no need to worry about over consuming or leaving early to head home. (That is, if you don't mind the floor.)

If this would happen, I' probably get a hotel room for the wife and I (and kid, possibly). You know, the sexy times usually ensue if alcohol is involved (or even when it isn't, really).

I love this! I'll have to ask my wife if I can use it at our next party.

Feel free! Mine said it was okay.

Altricious
04-15-2012, 09:00 PM
You know, the sexy times usually ensue if alcohol is involved (or even when it isn't, really).

I think I remember when alcohol led to sex. That was back when I was young and had a date. At least, I think I had a date.

akueck
04-15-2012, 09:24 PM
I find that my doing laundry, cleaning dishes, and--most of all--scrubbing the bathtub are much better indicators of fun time than alcohol. It's too bad vacuuming doesn't work, that is easy.

TheAlchemist
04-15-2012, 09:48 PM
That Aaron sure knows how to foreplay!

akueck
04-15-2012, 10:35 PM

I'm doing laundry right now. :whip2:

HunnyBunz
04-15-2012, 10:44 PM

I guess some women just get turned on by domestic stuff. :dontknow:

I find that my doing laundry, cleaning dishes, and--most of all--scrubbing the bathtub are much better indicators of fun time than alcohol. It's too bad vacuuming doesn't work, that is easy.

I think you and I are kind of in the same boat. My wife frequently needs reassurance and if I neglect to do that she'll just be mad at me and not in the mood for alcohol... or anything else. :(

Chevette Girl
04-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Feel free! Mine said it was okay.

Mine never asked my permission to use that one ;D but he knows I'm OK with his taking the initiative.

I guess some women just get turned on by domestic stuff. :dontknow:

It's a phenomenon that has been termed "choreplay"... those of us who hate looking at our filthy house are far more in the mood for things other than cleaning if the cleaning isn't still waiting for us when we're done our, um, other "domestic duties".

akueck
04-16-2012, 01:30 AM
I forgot to mention cooking. Cooking has led to some...late dinners. ;)

Penguinetti
04-16-2012, 08:50 AM
I think I remember when alcohol led to sex. That was back when I was young and had a date. At least, I think I had a date.

It's only a date if you planned to meet them first ;D I know, cause I had very little dates... :sadpanda: http://www.newenglandsubarus.com/forums/images/smilies/sadpanda.gif

Oh you sexy minx, you. Bleach that bathtub, bleach that bathtub!

I guess some women just get turned on by domestic stuff. :dontknow:...

It's a phenomenon that has been termed "choreplay"... those of us who hate looking at our filthy house are far more in the mood for things other than cleaning if the cleaning isn't still waiting for us when we're done our, um, other "domestic duties".

I forgot to mention cooking. Cooking has led to some...late dinners.

It's not so much choreplay that does it for her... the chores are just something we both do, I guess...

But if I'm working on the house or something else that's manly, she tends to want to take advantage of me afterwards...

of course, like my buddy Joe says, "You can't rape the willing." :sex:

Altricious
04-16-2012, 03:02 PM
It's only a date if you planned to meet them first ;D I know, cause I had very little dates... :sadpanda: http://www.newenglandsubarus.com/forums/images/smilies/sadpanda.gif

Oh, I wasn't counting the random hookups. I was only counting the times with the good sex which was mostly with one guy. He really seemed to like drinking with me. I can't imagine why. ;)

TheAlchemist
04-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Now THAT really IS a thread jacking!

ChadK
04-18-2012, 11:48 AM

lol. I was thinking the same thing. In fact, this was the first thread I checked this morning and I thought that it was an actually legit link at first because of the nature of this thread.

Soyala_Amaya
04-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Nope, we got hit hardcore with spammers last night. Three different accounts all saying different copy/paste things. I think there were about twenty threads hit all in all? It was annoying to clear them out of my unread post que! Stupid spambots.

fivecats
04-18-2012, 12:54 PM

I am really, really impressed with this one. (It wasn't as if I didn't ask for the thread to be hijacked, after all. Meaning: be careful what you wish for.) ;)

Chevette Girl
04-18-2012, 12:56 PM
LOL, you DID ask for it.

That aside, they randomly chose some really interesting threads to dig up, so annoying as they may be, it wasn't a total loss :)

fivecats
04-18-2012, 12:59 PM
LOL, you DID ask for it.

That aside, they randomly chose some really interesting threads to dig up, so annoying as they may be, it wasn't a total loss :)

So they were really doing us a favor by degassing, right? :D

fivecats
05-05-2012, 01:16 PM
The name of this thread is Hijack This Thread, not SPAM it.

Medsen Fey
05-05-2012, 05:13 PM
That raises a good question - what mead pairs well with fried Spam?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

fivecats
05-06-2012, 01:23 AM
That raises a good question - what mead pairs well with fried Spam?

Spam spam spam spam
Spam spam spam spam
Lovely spam
Wonderful spam
Lovely spam
Wonderful spam
Spam spam spam spam
Spam spam spam spam...

TheAlchemist
05-06-2012, 03:29 AM
A super sweet mead may nicely balance the spam saltiness.

akueck
05-06-2012, 08:56 AM
I'd go with spam, spam, spam, spam, eggs, and spam.

Penguinetti
05-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Just came back from Hawai'i, and they LOVE their spam over there. It goes really good with a fried egg and macaroni salad and white rice.

Chevette Girl
05-07-2012, 12:07 PM
My husband's family makes something they call "Bohnsalade" (bean salad) with white kidney beans, chopped onion, cubed luncheon meat (we ususally use something cheaper than real SPAM called Holiday), oil and vinegar... Aside from demanding he switch from regular onions (which I don't like raw) to Vidalias or sweet red onions, it's surprisingly tasty.

Penguinetti
05-07-2012, 01:24 PM
My husband's family makes something they call "Bohnsalade" (bean salad) with white kidney beans, chopped onion, cubed luncheon meat (we ususally use something cheaper than real SPAM called Holiday), oil and vinegar... Aside from demanding he switch from regular onions (which I don't like raw) to Vidalias or sweet red onions, it's surprisingly tasty.

This reminds me; I want to make a food recipe thread. To the thread maker!

akueck
05-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Cheaper than real SPAM? That is a frightening proposition. You don't eat scrapple, do you?

Altricious
05-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Cheaper than real SPAM? That is a frightening proposition. You don't eat scrapple, do you?

Spam is high end canned mystery meat! The cheaper one we always saw was Treet. There are a bunch of generic store brands ones too.

BTW, have you had the BACON SPAM? It's SPAM! With real bacon fat!

Also (and unrelated), today's wine.woot was "Used Auto Parts". Made me think of CG.
http://sale.images.woot.com/Used_Automobile_Partsjl5Standard.jpg

akueck
05-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Bacon spam might be worth trying. There is little in this world that is not made better by bacon fat. Or duck fat. Or avocado. Mmmm, fat.

TheAlchemist
05-08-2012, 05:18 AM
Bacon.

The reason I'm not vegetarian.

Chevette Girl
05-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Altricious, that's really cute :)

Akueck, my husband is often heard to say that bacon fat is one of the tastiest substances on Earth... but I'll go with you and agree on the duck fat too.

Mmmm, bacon... I should go make bacon :) Where's my cast-iron pan...

Penguinetti
05-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Cast-iron pans... the best way to make bacon. And then to use the bacon fat to cook up your eggs. No butter needed.

I love my cast-iron pan. And my cast-iron dutch oven. I use it to make traditional Irish soda bread. Well, sorta traditional.

I don't have an open fire.

Chevette Girl
05-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Hee hee, I keep a ramekin of bacon fat on my stovetop for my morning egg... I occasionally get the really cheap fatty bacon just so I can refill the bacon fat dish :)

The fat's draining out of the bacon now, then it's time for eggs... Mmmm, bacon egg and cheese sandwich... if I have some lettuce, I'll even add a little mayo...

Penguinetti
05-08-2012, 12:07 PM
that sounds so wonderful. I want bacon now.

Guinlilly
05-08-2012, 01:49 PM
They make a bacon scrapple that is pretty fab. Not sure if they sell it off the Eastern Shore though.

fivecats
05-08-2012, 02:15 PM
They make a bacon scrapple that is pretty fab. Not sure if they sell it off the Eastern Shore though.

When I was growing up my father referred to scrapple as "Pennsylvania Dutch Country's revenge on the rest of the world."

He loved it, though.

Chevette Girl
05-08-2012, 03:23 PM
I just looked scrapple up on wikipedia. I'd eat it. It's like hotdogs, something edible made from stuff that would otherwise be wasted. I hate wasting food. And bacon scrapple would be tasty.

Guinlilly
05-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Scrapple cooked perfectly where the outside is crunchy and the inside is still soft, is a culinary delight. Scrapple, egg, and cheese sandwiches are one of my all time favorite foods.

akueck
05-08-2012, 08:30 PM
I feel I would be more inclined to eat scrapple if it had a more appetizing name. "Scraps" is just not fun-sounding.

Guinlilly
05-08-2012, 09:12 PM
I feel I would be more inclined to eat scrapple if it had a more appetizing name. "Scraps" is just not fun-sounding.

White pudding in the British Isles is basically the same thing.

JustinPierce
05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Hey quick question! How does one start a thread???? I'm a new member and I'm stumped!

akueck
05-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Before you can start a new thread you must send each of the forum moderators: one bottle of mead, a fifth of quality whiskey, tickets to a local sporting event, and pictures of hot redheads. Your account will then be activated for posting new threads, unless the pictures are low quality or the redheads are not hot enough.

TheAlchemist
05-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Before you can start a new thread you must send each of the forum moderators: one bottle of mead, a fifth of quality whiskey, tickets to a local sporting event, and pictures of hot redheads. Your account will then be activated for posting new threads, unless the pictures are low quality or the redheads are not hot enough.

Oh, Aaron... Be nice.

Chevette Girl
05-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Hey quick question! How does one start a thread???? I'm a new member and I'm stumped!

I think if you go into one of the specific sections, like "The Hive" or "The Meadlog!" or one of the many other sections on this forum, there should be a "New Thread" button somewhere. Aaron's mostly kidding about the redheads.

TAKeyser
05-09-2012, 09:02 AM
forward me any of the redhead pics lol

Guinlilly
05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
What is with y'all mead makers liking us red heads? ;) That's what caught J's attention first thing. lol

Penguinetti
05-09-2012, 10:08 AM

I guess you wouldn't go for SOS, aka Shit On Shingles, aka Chipped Beef, aka Creamed Beef then, would ya... It is so very delicious. No bacon, though.

Be careful what you ask for gentlemen. You might get pictures of Billy Joe Armstrong or Paul Bettany...

Chevette Girl
05-09-2012, 10:39 AM

Sorry, man... any time I deviate from my natural hair colour (dark brown with what's becoming an alarming amount of white) it's gonna be purple :)

Soyala_Amaya
05-09-2012, 01:52 PM
http://gremlindog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/chewbacca.jpg

Hot redhead in a sexy pose, you asked for it!

fivecats
05-09-2012, 02:05 PM
http://gremlindog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/chewbacca.jpg

Hot redhead in a sexy pose, you asked for it!

Then there's this response...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_SdTGTT39k

Soyala_Amaya
05-09-2012, 02:46 PM
There's a lot of downtime in those empty parsecs...what happens on the Millenium Falcon stays on the Millenium Falcon. We don't judge here.

On a seperate note, for many years of my childhood my answer to What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up was "Han Solo"..."He-man" would also have been an acceptable answer depending on whether I thought spaceships or swords were better that day.

Chevette Girl
05-09-2012, 02:56 PM
There's a lot of downtime in those empty parsecs...what happens on the Millenium Falcon stays on the Millenium Falcon. We don't judge here.

On a seperate note, for many years of my childhood my answer to What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up was "Han Solo"..."He-man" would also have been an acceptable answer depending on whether I thought spaceships or swords were better that day.

<sigh> I was always Leia, being the only girl in the group of us playing Star Wars...

Penguinetti
05-09-2012, 03:23 PM
<sigh> I was always Leia, being the only girl in the group of us playing Star Wars...

Leia from A New Hope, ESB, or RotJ?

I always thought Boba Fet looked cool. With all his gadgets.

Chevette Girl
05-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Leia from A New Hope, ESB, or RotJ?

This would have been around 1980, so A New Hope because ESB wasn't out yet, or at least I wouldn't have seen it until it came out on Beta tape. Although when I knew it, it had been released just as "Star Wars", I first saw it from the back seat of our '76 Oldsmobile in a drive-in theatre when I was about three, although I mostly remember hiding under the blue sheets with the flowers on them because the noise the tie-fighters made scared the crap out of me. Then it was a regular in the VCR for when Sesame Street was over and we didn't want to watch the news (yeah, I grew up back before there was children's programming on 24/7). And before you get to picturing me as Slave-Leia (that would have been when, ESB? I keep running the good ones all together in my head) , I was 5 or 6 and probably wearing a snowsuit at the time, you sicko ;D.

I always thought Boba Fet looked cool. With all his gadgets.

A few years ago one of my roommates got my other roommate a life-sized Boba Fett helmet... it goes well with his Mandalorian skull tattoo. I also have a Mandalorian skull spraypainted on the inside of my garage door... long story involving a surprise birthday party and stencils to turn root beer cans into Mandalorian Ale.

Altricious
05-09-2012, 04:21 PM
What's this "New Hope" you speak of? There are only three movies, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Those are the proper titles and nothing else exists. If you deny this truth, then I can no longer speak to you.

:)

Chevette Girl
05-09-2012, 04:41 PM
What's this "New Hope" you speak of? There are only three movies, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Those are the proper titles and nothing else exists. If you deny this truth, then I can no longer speak to you.

Yep, we're good. And Greedo never shot at Han.

fivecats
05-09-2012, 07:00 PM

HERETIC!!!

There are only three, true movies:

Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back and
Revenge of the Jedi

Altricious
05-09-2012, 07:15 PM
HERETIC!!!

There are only three, true movies:

Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back and
Revenge of the Jedi

Luke is not convincingly wrathful. I can not support that title.

fivecats
05-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Luke is not convincingly wrathful. I can not support that title.

Sorry -- as Lucas' original title it matters not how Hamill portrayed Luke's anger in the film.

HunnyBunz
05-09-2012, 07:51 PM
I think we could at least agree that when Vader tells Luke that he's his Father in ESB, Luke's candy-assed whining "Nooooooo" is pretty pathetic.

Altricious
05-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Sorry -- as Lucas' original title it matters not how Hamill portrayed Luke's anger in the film.

Of course it matters. The essence of the movie doesn't bear out revenge. If the jedi needed to exact revenge, then he should have been cast as someone who wasn't such a wuss. Besides, to stay on the light side of the force, the jedi couldn't surrender to his anger. Only a jedi who had gone to the dark side would be vengeful.

fivecats
05-09-2012, 08:10 PM
I think we could at least agree that when Vader tells Luke that he's his Father in ESB, Luke's candy-assed whining "Nooooooo" is pretty pathetic.

To which, sir, I reply with: http://youtu.be/6L8b1zPE0-Y

Guinlilly
05-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Luke, of course, does eventually go Sith, becoming apprentice to the cloned Emperor. And then he also eventually marries a hot redhead in the person of Mara Jade.

Altricious
05-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Luke, of course, does eventually go Sith, becoming apprentice to the cloned Emperor. And then he also eventually marries a hot redhead in the person of Mara Jade.

Back to the hot red heads again? Don't make me find pictures that require brain bleach!

akueck
05-09-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm afraid to click the links. I have nightmare images of a browser-jack involving Carrot Top. There are some things worse than Rick-Rolling.

Chevette Girl
05-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Actually, fivecats' link is pretty hilarious :)

fivecats
05-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Actually, fivecats' link is pretty hilarious :)

Why thank you. (I try not to clutter up the comments with gratuitous links) :)

(Actually, there's a series of Robot Chicken episodes on Star Wars. They've forever jaded my memories of the series...)

Penguinetti
05-10-2012, 07:43 AM
... Then it was a regular in the VCR for when Sesame Street was over and we didn't want to watch the news (yeah, I grew up back before there was children's programming on 24/7)...

...And before you get to picturing me as Slave-Leia (that would have been when, ESB? I keep running the good ones all together in my head) , I was 5 or 6 and probably wearing a snowsuit at the time, you sicko ;D...

Hey now, just because those were the only 3 good ones does not mean you can't count the creator's original plan of 6 movies.

That's like saying that, when The Hobbit comes out, you can't count it as part of the story because it didn't come out 'originally' with the LOTR trilogy.

Back to the hot red heads again? Don't make me find pictures that require brain bleach!

I think you mean www.eyebleach.com

It's quite a nice website for men, women, AND children (depending on which door you choose)...

...(Actually, there's a series of Robot Chicken episodes on Star Wars. They've forever jaded my memories of the series...)

Ah Robot Chicken... the popular show that never went mainstream...

TheAlchemist
05-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Love the fivecats link!

fivecats
05-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Hey now, just because those were the only 3 good ones does not mean you can't count the creator's original plan of 6 movies.

That's like saying that, when The Hobbit comes out, you can't count it as part of the story because it didn't come out 'originally' with the LOTR trilogy.

Silly heretic. There were NINE movies planned, not six. :eek:

Altricious
05-10-2012, 09:59 AM

It's not at all the same. LOTR is based on books. They are existing stories and being made a few years apart.

Star Wars took a 25 year siesta, then in order to make money, dug up old, abandoned notes and made movies. The three original movies stand on their own, make sense and are not enhanced by the extra stuff. Any plans he claims to have had to make 6 movies all along are contradicted by the choice to start in the middle and waiting a quarter of a century to finish.

I think you mean www.eyebleach.com

It's quite a nice website for men, women, AND children (depending on which door you choose)...

I meant brain bleach, because somethings can't be erased from the imagination. (And those are rather tame images. I had a higher opinion of you than that.)

Ah Robot Chicken... the popular show that never went mainstream...

Gotta love geeks and nerds.

Penguinetti
05-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Silly heretic. There were NINE movies planned, not six. :eek:

Silly me, I'm sorry. My mistake. 9. 9 movies originally planned.

...Star Wars took a 25 year siesta, then in order to make money, dug up old, abandoned notes and made movies. The three original movies stand on their own, make sense and are not enhanced by the extra stuff. Any plans he claims to have had to make 6 movies all along are contradicted by the choice to start in the middle and waiting a quarter of a century to finish.

Actually, from what I heard, he started in the middle because they weren't going to give him a large enough budget to create all at once, and these were the best to start with. Also, another rumor I heard (so I actually don't know if it's true or not) is that he waited a quarter century cause he wanted to wait till graphics could become good enough for his ideas.

Again, i don't know if it's true, but it sounds like something someone with foresight would do.

I meant brain bleach, because somethings can't be erased from the imagination. (And those are rather tame images. I had a higher opinion of you than that.)

Gotta love geeks and nerds.

Eh, it's the best I could do from work. Also, your brain bleach reminded me of eyebleach because of the word bleach.

And yes, geeks and nerds rock. Hard.

skunkboy
05-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Also, another rumor I heard (so I actually don't know if it's true or not) is that he waited a quarter century cause he wanted to wait till graphics could become good enough for his ideas.

Again, i don't know if it's true, but it sounds like something someone with foresight would do.

I still think people give him too much credit. The smartest thing he ever did was keep the
licensing and merchandising rights for himself.

Deacon Aegis
05-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Silly me, I'm sorry. My mistake. 9. 9 movies originally planned.

Actually, from what I heard, he started in the middle because they weren't going to give him a large enough budget to create all at once, and these were the best to start with. Also, another rumor I heard (so I actually don't know if it's true or not) is that he waited a quarter century cause he wanted to wait till graphics could become good enough for his ideas.

Eh, it's the best I could do from work. Also, your brain bleach reminded me of eyebleach because of the word bleach.

And yes, geeks and nerds rock. Hard.

From what I heard, George Lucas did not make any more Star Wars movies for a quarter of a century to spite his ex-wife over a divorce settlement. In this rumor, his ex-wife settled to receive some massive percentage of the profits from future Star Wars films for an unspecified number of years. Lucas therefore refused to make any further Star Wars films until after the date his ex-wife could no longer see residuals from the franchise.

As a side note, Lucas did indeed divorce his wife in 1983 and took a massive loss in revenue from merchandising based on the Return of Jedi according to wikipedia, lending a little bit of credibility to the divorce hiatus rumor. Not sure what is truth, but sounds as good as any other rumor out there as to why Star Wars halted for so many years.

Soyala_Amaya
05-10-2012, 04:55 PM
And back to the geekery! (As well as my sexy redhead shaking it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIuzuRdET_I

Penguinetti
05-14-2012, 07:38 AM
So apparently I got myself in trouble without even being in the chat room.

How does one get banned from an area he's never been in?!

Altricious
05-14-2012, 09:28 AM
So apparently I got myself in trouble without even being in the chat room.

How does one get banned from an area he's never been in?!

I guess your reputation precedes you.

Penguinetti
05-14-2012, 11:56 AM
I guess your reputation precedes you.

I wasn't even aware I had a reputation...

....I'm flattered, really...

Chevette Girl
05-14-2012, 02:35 PM

:rolleyes:
Aah, I see, the chat room is under the "patron tools" section so it's probably restricted to patrons only.

And actually you might have reputation if people like your posts.

Altricious
05-14-2012, 02:45 PM

Don't worry, I'm setting you up with one.

Of course, you may not be quite as flattered when I'm done. ;)

Chevette Girl
05-14-2012, 02:56 PM
LOL, nice...

I try to maintain the same reputation everywhere, online and in person... "Mostly harmless weirdo" is how I figure most folks see me... Being more than one person was too much work... the most I will bother to do these days is slap on the "be professional" filter as required... but it's the same weirdo under the filter.

Penguinetti
05-14-2012, 04:09 PM
:rolleyes:
Aah, I see, the chat room is under the "patron tools" section so it's probably restricted to patrons only.

b-b-but...

I is a patron...

Don't worry, I'm setting you up with one.

Of course, you may not be quite as flattered when I'm done. ;)

You'd be surprised... (unless its that I beat women; that's one I wouldn't be flattered with).

LOL, nice...

I try to maintain the same reputation everywhere, online and in person... "Mostly harmless weirdo" is how I figure most folks see me... Being more than one person was too much work... the most I will bother to do these days is slap on the "be professional" filter as required... but it's the same weirdo under the filter.

I had a rep once in high school for being a man-whore. Which is pretty funny, given that I had sex with 1 person only in h.s. (oddly enough, my now wife).

Medsen Fey
05-14-2012, 04:37 PM
I had a rep once in high school for being a man-whore...

...a hard way to make a living.

Penguinetti
05-14-2012, 05:02 PM
...a hard way to make a living.

Taken from experience?

Chevette Girl
05-14-2012, 05:09 PM
b-b-but...

I is a patron...

Not according to your banner, it just says member... if you've paid for a patronship and still don't have access to things, send an email to Vicky and she will fix.

akueck
05-14-2012, 05:22 PM
You could still be a man-whore, but just with a very satisfied client?

Or a terrible man-whore with one very reluctant client...:eek:

Penguinetti
08-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Obligatory hi-jack thread bump!

A reporter is walking through Olympic Village when he spots a man carrying a ten foot pole. So he walks up to the man and asks him, "Are you a pole-vaulter?"
The man replied, "No, but how did you know my name is Walter?"

Thank you thank you, I'll be here till I'm not.

Chevette Girl
08-03-2012, 12:42 PM
I don't usually care about sports much, but I've seen so much good sportsmanship between olympic competitors from opposing countries that it does give me some hope for the human race. And so many people who barely qualified or got in on technicalities who ended up doing really, really well. In the 100 kg men's Judo the other day, the previous gold medallist (Mongolia) got bodily thrown by the Russian he was facing, and looked immensely pleased for the other guy who'd gotten in such a good throw, even though it took the gold from him!

And then there was the badminton thing... <facepalm> Honestly, people.

Penguinetti
08-03-2012, 12:48 PM
...And then there was the badminton thing... <facepalm> Honestly, people.

Wait, I missed the badminton thing... what happened in the badminton thing?

TheAlchemist
08-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Wait, I missed the badminton thing... what happened in the badminton thing?

Gals trying to loose the match so they'd get better positioned later in the games, and getting thrown out of competition for it.

Soyala_Amaya
08-03-2012, 10:44 PM
I like to make bets on which Olympain is boning each other. Over 100,000 free condoms were distributed in 1992...I don't have numbers for the 2000's but they've got to be good. The Olympic Village is full of sexings.

Chevette Girl
08-04-2012, 07:19 AM
I like to make bets on which Olympain is boning each other. Over 100,000 free condoms were distributed in 1992...I don't have numbers for the 2000's but they've got to be good. The Olympic Village is full of sexings.

I think I read somewhere that they would bunk same-sex couples together but a married hetero couple wasn't allowed to share accommodations, sounds like they only provided separate lodgings for men and women and it would be too disruptive to have one male + female when everyone else is separated, so for once, same-sex partnerships had the advantage...