• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Free Mead Tasting Cedarburg, Wi

Barrel Char Wood Products

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
Looks like fun, but if I was going to drive anywhere this weekend it would have been to Indianapolis to help out with the first round of the AHA comp.

Any chance you would be willing to type in your thoughts on the commercial stuff if you go?

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
First the White Winter meads.

They had the Mischief, cranberry at 5% abv. Just easy drinking and highly carbonated. Low end of sweet, almost dry.

The Cheer, which I always like and consider a classic example. Dry.

The Black Mead has always been my favorite. Dry black current mead. Yummy! :)

They had some soda from White Winter also. It was good if you like soda. Not too sweet, not too dry. Good fruit flavors.

There was a Perry and a couple ciders too.

They had Chaucer's Raspberry. It was kind of medicinal. Musty and earthy. Plenty of raspberry, but the medicinal tones, like cough syrup, were a turn off.

There was one a local distributor had tried to get me to promote once before. Bea's Mead. It's German. I was kind of impressed! Quite sweet so not my personal favorite. However, it was very very honey flavored. It is what those who never tasted mead would think it should taste like. Lot's of body too. Yet, the honey sweetness wasn't over whelming. Yes, it was out of balance to the honey side, but good none the less.

Finally was a Polish Mead. Spiced and 5 years old. Kind of like a mild version of jagermeister. ;) Nice oak tones. Rich and full bodied. Sweet, but good tanin balance to the sweet. A little low on acid, but that is normal for Polish meads.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns