PDA

View Full Version : Pineapple mead advice needed

MJJ
04-10-2012, 08:55 PM
One of my favorite drinks is Captain Morgan's spice rum mix with Pineapple juice & ginger ale.

I would like to make a 1 Gallon batch of Pineapple mead that comes close to that. I have a 64 oz can of Dole Pineapple juice, Ginger root, honey, Lalvin 71B yeast. I don't know what spice to use, I have written to Captain Morgan's & ask what spice they use but they never replied. Does any one here have an idea what spices are in that rum so I can recreate that flavor in a mead.

skunkboy
04-10-2012, 11:45 PM
http://www.rndrumreviews.com/RnDRumReviews/Rum_Spicing_from_Mild_to_Wild_and_Wild_to_Mild.htm l

These look about right. Not sure much to put in a one gallon batch though. This seems like a great opportunity to try playing with a tincture. :) Toss some of these into some vodka and make an extract and see how they taste together.

Vandall
04-16-2012, 05:53 PM
One of my favorite drinks is Captain Morgan's spice rum mix with Pineapple juice & ginger ale.

I would like to make a 1 Gallon batch of Pineapple mead that comes close to that. I have a 64 oz can of Dole Pineapple juice, Ginger root, honey, Lalvin 71B yeast. I don't know what spice to use, I have written to Captain Morgan's & ask what spice they use but they never replied. Does any one here have an idea what spices are in that rum so I can recreate that flavor in a mead.

As a close personal friend of the Captain, I would be very interested in what you come up with and how it turns out.

MJJ
04-16-2012, 09:08 PM
As a close personal friend of the Captain, I would be very interested in what you come up with and how it turns out.

I found out what it is, its allspice.

skunkboy
04-16-2012, 09:09 PM
That is a good spice. Try to get some whole ones and crack them yourself.

MJJ
04-16-2012, 10:00 PM
So heres the deal, I started a experimental batch Saturday.
1 sixty four oz can of Dole Pineapple juice.
2 Lbs of clover honey
1 Qt of spring water (plus a little more to top off afterwards)
1/2 finger size of fresh grated Ginger root.
1/2 tsp allspice.
1/2 tsp nutmeg.
1/8 tsp cinnamon.
1 campdem tablet.
1 Lalvin 71-B yeast
In a sanitized sauce pan I heated 1 Qt of spring water,
I added all the spices & simmered for 10 minutes.
Turned off the heat & added the honey while steering the pot.
Pineapple juice is already in Gallon jug, I added 1 crushed campdem tablet &
poured the heated mix into the jug. Shook the jug to oxygenize. Topped off with spring water & shook again. (S.G. is 1.090) Place an airlock on it with sanitizer in it & set aside for 24 Hrs.
The next day I placed jug in 3 Gallon pot (in sink) & added hot water (Kept running) to heat up must. 20 minutes later checked temp of must (101 F). Opened pack of 71-B & poured it directly in must & closed with airlock. Signs of fermentation 1 hr later. I was gonna add Yeast Nutrient & Energizer the next day but decided against it do to vigorous fermentation activity. By late noon the fermentation was so vigorous I decided to replace the airlock with a blow over tube. Today the fermentation was so vigorous, The foam forced pineapple pulp into the tube resulting in a pineapple volcano. I lost about a pint of must. Tomorrow I go to store & pick up a few gallons of spring water & top off the jug.

I hope my must did not get infected.

MJJ
04-16-2012, 10:03 PM
That is a good spice. Try to get some whole ones and crack them yourself.

Done that.

Legitapotimous
04-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Ooo this sounds good, I am a Caribou Lou fan (151, pineapple juice and a dash of coconut rum) and will be attempting something similar so hope you get close to ur rum tatse!!