PDA

View Full Version : 4 Week Quick Cyser Stabilization Difficulties

Mr. P
04-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Greetings to the Hive!

I recently started a gallon of the 4 Week Cyser recipe located here:
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7449&highlight=quick+cyser&page=4

I followed the recipe except for the stabilization additions. The recipe states to cold crash the cyser for 2-3 days once it reaches an SG of 1.017. Afterwards add 1 ˝ tsp Sorbistate K and 1 crushed Campden tab.

I didn’t have those ingredients so instead I added ˝ tsp potassium sorbate and 1/16 tsp potassium metabisulphite.

Per the recipe’s instructions I then left the carboy at room temperature (with the intent to let it clear for 3 weeks). I had to go out of town on a business trip for 2 ˝ days. When I returned things were happily fermenting away again as if I never attempted to stabilize it.

Did I not add enough stabilizers or perhaps the wrong ones? Perhaps the stabilizers need more time?

To buy me some time I promptly put the carboy back in the fridge and typed up this post.

Looking for help,
Paul

akueck
04-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Sorbistat K is indeed just potassium sorbate. So you can use those at the same dosage.

From here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showpost.php?p=186104&postcount=5), you can see that you needed to add more sulfite as well.

So, correct chemicals but just not enough of them. Hit it harder and it should work. I would recommend adding the full amount of sulfite (as your first addition has probably worn off by now) but only the extra 1 tsp of sorbate.

Mr. P
04-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Awesome information! Thank you very much for the assistance.

Regards,
Paul

akueck
04-15-2012, 10:38 PM
No problem!

I made that mead as well (my first!). I think it would have been better slightly drier, so you'll have to let us know where it finishes and how it is.

Mars Colonist
04-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Im assuming you racked off the yeast after you cold crashed it, and then added the Kmeta and Ksorbate.... or did you just add the Kmeta and Ksorbate to the cyser while on the yeast cake? It wasnt clear the way it was written.