PDA

View Full Version : Great example of Yeast starting back up.

jpog
04-17-2012, 04:38 PM
I thought the more senior people on the board would get a kick out of this because they are always preaching about how yeast can start back up...and how many go over their %ABV tolerance. Honestly, I was always like yah, yah, yah.

Well, anyways I made a modified JOA recipe with Bread Yeast, a little over 3lbs of honey and a little under one gallon of water plus the orange and raisans..so my starting SG must of been HIGH..I did not record it. SO I let it ferment and man..it took 4.5 weeks before that balloon deflated. So I racked it to speed along the process (I said modfied JOA)..I sneaked a taste hoping it would resemble a sweet mead...NOPE....Bone DRY..STRONG...so I though well..this has got to be around 15%ABV by now...with all that honey. SO I backed sweetened it with another 1/2 lb of honey and another 1/2 cup of corn sugar and putt it back in storage. We just got hit with a heat wave over here so my basement went from 60 F to around 70 F...guess whats bubbling away again? HAHA...resilent little buggers..I racked it clean too...plus I hit it with a small dash of Sorbate...could that of woken the BEATIES UP.any guesses on how long this thing will go or what my endng %ABV would be?:eek:

TAKeyser
04-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Well a 1 gallon batch with 3 1/2 lbs of honey plus 4 oz of sugar is a gravity of roughly 1.130 or a little over 17%abv if it goes back down to .000 and you never topped off with any water.

Chevette Girl
04-17-2012, 10:23 PM
I've had the difference between basement and kitchen temperatures cause restarts in things I thought were done. We're not just preaching, you know ;D

And don't forget, the sorbate doesn't kill the yeasties, just makes their little pizzles fall off so they can't replicate anymore.

jpog
04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
I know your not just preaching but it's hard to believe until you see it;)

My bread yeast must be a strong batch because it even started with less then a gallon of water. Forgot to top off after the first shake. I did add just a little when I added the 1/2 cup of honey..I used TAKeyser method of mixing it with a bit of warm water first so it would mix well into the jug.

wayneb
04-18-2012, 11:19 PM
And don't forget, the sorbate doesn't kill the yeasties, just makes their little pizzles fall off so they can't replicate anymore.

What a mental image that conjures up!! :p ;D