PDA

View Full Version : ground cloves vs. whole cloves.

zackleys
04-18-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm another first time mead maker, and just to get a base of mead making I am going to make some unorthodox mead like JOA. All the ingredients I already have around the house, except for the whole cloves. How much of a difference would it make if i used ground cloves instead? Cloves themselves are pretty powerful and I was thinking about using even less than a whole clove's worth. What are your thought on this? Trying to avoid a trip to the store, which is 10 miles away.

fatbloke
04-18-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm another first time mead maker, and just to get a base of mead making I am going to make some unorthodox mead like JOA. All the ingredients I already have around the house, except for the whole cloves. How much of a difference would it make if i used ground cloves instead? Cloves themselves are pretty powerful and I was thinking about using even less than a whole clove's worth. What are your thought on this? Trying to avoid a trip to the store, which is 10 miles away.
Cloves are the one thing that receive special mention in the JAO recipe, so stick with that. They're usually "fresher", and easier to remove. Sure, while you may believe that you can get more accuracy measuring powdered, than using whole, but 1 clove is a lot less than say 1/8th teaspoon of powdered.

And if you use too much clove, damn it's bloody horrible tasting.....

Less is more.

akueck
04-18-2012, 06:25 PM
The clove in JAO is optional, so I'd say leave it out for now. If you go to the store in the next month or so, pick up some whole cloves and toss one in then.

Chevette Girl
04-18-2012, 09:39 PM
If you do decide to use some powdered, it will probably just fall to the bottom after fermentation so it won't be a big deal later, but go REALLY easy on it, the tiniest pinch...