PDA

View Full Version : Ok to leavening the fridge after cold crash?

Robusto
04-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Hi all. So is it ok to cold crash a mead and then just leave the mead in the fridge? Will this creat any off flavors? Will it slow clearing or prolong aging?

Thanks

aczdreign
04-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I put some overflow from a muscadine pyment that I made two years ago into the fridge in pint jars, intending to add them back to the end result.

Funny you should ask this, I pulled one out today and had a taste.
It's absolutely crystal clear and tastes just like the rest of the batch, only not quite as dry, as some fermentation has gone on in the full batch over the past two years.

wayneb
04-18-2012, 08:59 PM
It depends on a couple of things - the strain of yeast that you used (since extended aging, even at very cold temperatures, on yeast lees will lend some autolysis products to the mead); while some yeasts age sur lie well, others do not. Also, for melomels, it depends on how much suspended fruit solids are still in the container. They won't do well, even at low temperature, as the months drag on.

There will also be some subtle differences in the flavor profile of a mead that has been stored cold for long periods of time as opposed to one stored merely cool, or at room temp. This has to do with the variation that some organic molecules change over time, at different temperatures. That's why even grape wines seem to age best when stored at "cellar temperature."