PDA

View Full Version : Star San question

MJJ
04-19-2012, 12:16 PM
My Star San just arrived via UPS.
I have a tiny problem & I mean very tiny.
The print is so small I cant read the directions & I don't have a magnifying glass.
How much Star San do I mix with 1 gallon of water?

wayneb
04-19-2012, 12:24 PM
One ounce per 5 gallons of water.

BTW - depending on what size bottle you ordered, the little measuring gizmo on the top of the bottle will give you either 1/2 oz (from the 8 oz bottles) or 1 oz (from the 16 and 32 oz bottles).

For mixing up a gallon, I usually just eyeball 1/4 oz in the measuring gizmo, and use that - it's close enough.

MJJ
04-19-2012, 12:36 PM
One ounce per 5 gallons of water.

BTW - depending on what size bottle you ordered, the little measuring gizmo on the top of the bottle will give you either 1/2 oz (from the 8 oz bottles) or 1 oz (from the 16 and 32 oz bottles).

For mixing up a gallon, I usually just eyeball 1/4 oz in the measuring gizmo, and use that - it's close enough.

Thank You.

Echostatic
04-19-2012, 09:51 PM
How on earth do you guys manage to use their weird measuring system? The way the liquid moves, it never works right for me >.>

hepcat
04-19-2012, 09:58 PM
I like that design, so you can squeeze the desired amount into the measuring cup built into the bottle. One thing you have to do is make sure the cap on the main bottle is tight and the cap over the measuring cup is loose when you use it. And if you squeeze too much into the measuring cup you can pour it back into the bottle.

wayneb
04-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Right, with the main cap on tight and the measuring cup cap on loose, then squeeze the main bottle body, holding the whole thing upright. That pushes concentrated star-san up into the measuring cup. Then tighten the measuring cap and loosen the main cap temporarily to equalize pressure in the bottle. Then you can tighten the main cap back, remove the measuring cap completely, and pour out a perfectly measured amount.

Simple, once you've done it a few dozen times! ;)

Echostatic
04-19-2012, 11:10 PM
...Oh. >.>

skunkboy
04-19-2012, 11:34 PM
And there is a secret handshake that goes along with it ... :)

aczdreign
04-20-2012, 03:16 PM
LOL, my local brewing shop stopped carrying iodophor and started carrying star san recently.
I had both of these issues. Tiny, purple font on a transparent surface, and no instructions on how to use the bottle.

lol