PDA

View Full Version : Because the Government has nothing better to worry about

TAKeyser
04-20-2012, 12:18 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/19/alabama-bans-beer-over-dirty-name/?test=latestnews

You just have to love it :(

Echostatic
04-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Wonder if there's nefarious activity going on behind the scenes.

TAKeyser
04-20-2012, 12:24 AM
Just love how Ragin' Bitch Beer and Fat Bastard wine can be sold, but not Dirty Bastard.

Chevette Girl
04-20-2012, 12:33 AM
Just love how Ragin' Bitch Beer and Fat Bastard wine can be sold, but not Dirty Bastard.

According to the article, sounds like the other two had been grandfathered... just love it when things get MORE conservative, huh?

Amusing how a lot of Alabama counties are dry... I know we've got a member on (for educational reasons only, of course) from a state that prohibits homebrewing but I can't remember which state.

Boy there sure are times I'm glad I'm north of the border!

TAKeyser
04-20-2012, 12:42 AM
According to the article, sounds like the other two had been grandfathered... just love it when things get MORE conservative, huh?

The whole grandfather clauses to me can hold no weight legally since the American legal system is based on the concept of Stare Decisis (gotta love fancy legal terms) which basically boils down to precedents. Obviously there is a precedent for dirty words on alcohol packaging therefore the decision of the Alabama Liquor Commission should be overturned. Hey Founder's Brewing I'll take the case Pro Bono (just love those fancy legal jargon)

Can not wait 2 more weeks for the semester to end and all these law classes to be over so I can go back to not having to think :)

Echostatic
04-20-2012, 12:56 AM
This is almost as silly as that state banning the sale of that one lemonade to minors because it contained a minute amount of alcohol from the production process. (Less alcohol than some soft drinks that stay legal...) I forget the details.

Jas53
04-20-2012, 09:42 AM
The whole grandfather clauses to me can hold no weight legally since the American legal system is based on the concept of Stare Decisis (gotta love fancy legal terms) which basically boils down to precedents. Obviously there is a precedent for dirty words on alcohol packaging therefore the decision of the Alabama Liquor Commission should be overturned. Hey Founder's Brewing I'll take the case Pro Bono (just love those fancy legal jargon)

Can not wait 2 more weeks for the semester to end and all these law classes to be over so I can go back to not having to think :)

Dont take it Pro Bon0 - use the barter system and have kegs delivered free of charge monthly!

Chevette Girl
04-20-2012, 11:17 AM
This is almost as silly as that state banning the sale of that one lemonade to minors because it contained a minute amount of alcohol from the production process. (Less alcohol than some soft drinks that stay legal...) I forget the details.

Silliness abounds. In Canada we can't have Mountain Dew with caffeine, but codeine's an OTC product... If it's .5% or less alcohol (near-beer and dealcolized wine coolers are available anywhere), it's not a controlled substance as far as Ontario's concerned, how much alcohol did that lemonade have?

Soyala_Amaya
04-20-2012, 12:06 PM
It's the reasoning that continues to blow my mind. I remember when the anti-smoking bans were going around. I agreed with not letting people smoke too close to entrances. I agree with making some business, like restaurants, smoke-free. What I did NOT agree with was forcing bars to become smoke-free because "it limited the parents ability to bring their children into the establishment."

WHY THE HELL ARE YOU BRINGING YOUR KID TO THE BAR WITH YOU?

You can give all the excuses you want, but even if they happen to have food, a lot of times they only do that because local legislature says they have to sell so much percentage of their yearly income as non-alcoholic options. It happened to one of my favorite Irish bars not too long ago, they didn't sell enough food to keep their liquor license. (that blew my mind too)

It's an adult item, most grovery stores have all of their liquor in seperate aisles, or even seperate rooms. It should not be my responsibility to appease their senses about bringing their children around adult items. It'd be like someone passing a law that says you have to package all vibrators in opaque packaging so the children won't see a fake penis. WHY IS YOUR KID AROUND ADULT ONLY ITEMS IN THE FIRST PLACE?

*pantpantpant* I need a stiff one. (yes, you may interpret that as you choose. This is an adult only forum, right?)

New2mead
04-20-2012, 12:47 PM

Hahah! You lawyers so crayzee!!

I was watching the "bond" "trial" for Zimmerman, and I thought, "The lawyers on Law & Order are so much more believable!" it seemed, since it was being televised (as most big cases now seem to be) the lawyers were hamming it up for the cameras. If I were a jurist, I'd recuse myself due to lack of believability on the part of the attorneys.

BBBF
04-20-2012, 01:29 PM
It's the reasoning that continues to blow my mind. I remember when the anti-smoking bans were going around. I agreed with not letting people smoke too close to entrances. I agree with making some business, like restaurants, smoke-free. What I did NOT agree with was forcing bars to become smoke-free because "it limited the parents ability to bring their children into the establishment."

You can give all the excuses you want, but even if they happen to have food, a lot of times they only do that because local legislature says they have to sell so much percentage of their yearly income as non-alcoholic options. It happened to one of my favorite Irish bars not too long ago, they didn't sell enough food to keep their liquor license. (that blew my mind too)

It's an adult item, most grovery stores have all of their liquor in seperate aisles, or even seperate rooms. It should not be my responsibility to appease their senses about bringing their children around adult items. It'd be like someone passing a law that says you have to package all vibrators in opaque packaging so the children won't see a fake penis. WHY IS YOUR KID AROUND ADULT ONLY ITEMS IN THE FIRST PLACE?

*pantpantpant* I need a stiff one. (yes, you may interpret that as you choose. This is an adult only forum, right?)

The "for the children" excuse is major issue for me. They're putting up speed cameras in Chicago "for the children," even though there is no data to support the need. It has nothing to do with all the tickets they'll be able to write.

HunnyBunz
04-20-2012, 01:35 PM

It seems that governments more and more over the past few decades have been passing laws to protect people from themselves, or from their own stupidity. All this does is create an environment where no one has to be accountable for themselves anymore.

And I've already been bad enough today so I'm not going to comment on that last thought. ;D

Altricious
04-20-2012, 02:45 PM
It seems that governments more and more over the past few decades have been passing laws to protect people from themselves, or from their own stupidity. All this does is create an environment where no one has to be accountable for themselves anymore.

And I've already been bad enough today so I'm not going to comment on that last thought. ;D

Don't you know that in America everything is someone else's fault? The entire insurance industry is built around it and it seems you're not a true American if you haven't sued someone.

Oh, and I completely agree with Soyala's last statement. You can just pretend I said it too.

akueck
04-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Don't you know that in America everything is someone else's fault? The entire insurance industry is built around it and it seems you're not a true American if you haven't sued someone.

Totally agree. Having traveled around a bit, most countries (and the people who live in them) seem to agree that everyone has at least some amount of personal responsibility for their own well-being. Such as, don't walk into that open manhole. In Beijing, they didn't even advertise holes in the ground, you just have to be aware of your surroundings. And forget about Bolivia, they don't even have traffic control at most intersections. Look both ways or get hit. Here in America the whole world is child-proofed and god forbid that you'd have to look around you and interact with your surroundings. And even if you do bump into something, well shoot you just sue them. WTF!

In New Zealand they have standard damages for injuries. Lose a hand? Here's $5000 (or whatever it is). No arguing, no haggling. Take it or don't. Guess how many lawsuits they have? Good system, but there's no way it would ever fly in the US.

fivecats
04-20-2012, 09:35 PM
In New Zealand they have standard damages for injuries. Lose a hand? Here's $5000 (or whatever it is). No arguing, no haggling. Take it or don't. Guess how many lawsuits they have? Good system, but there's no way it would ever fly in the US.

Good God man, what you're suggesting amounts to restraint of trade! We pay lawyers good money to keep those annoyances from effecting our red-blooded American bottom line!

akueck
04-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Well if it's a trade issue, then yeah it's inviolate. Can't mess with the Commerce Clause! Plus, we wouldn't want to make unemployment even worse. Imagine all those poor lawyers pawning their sports cars. ;D

fivecats
04-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Well if it's a trade issue, then yeah it's inviolate. Can't mess with the Commerce Clause! Plus, we wouldn't want to make unemployment even worse. Imagine all those poor lawyers pawning their sports cars. ;D

Now you've gotten me all teary-eyed. *sniff*

ChadK
04-20-2012, 11:13 PM

I'd be all over that too, HunnyBunz, but I just remember she's a fiery redhead with a big sword and I presume the fiance also has a big sword.

if you're gonna bring up the Constitution, Akueck, I would think that the First Amendment should have something to say about banning something just cause it says "Bastard."

skunkboy
04-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Beer names and labels will cause problems like this cause they involve *gasp* alcohol.

Raging Bitch was a target previously. http://ww2.gazette.net/stories/03312011/busiflo162059_32535.php

As was http://www.mtshastanews.com/news/x781535657/ACLU-offers-to-help-Mt-Shasta-Brewery-owner-fight-bottle-cap-edict

TAKeyser
04-21-2012, 12:18 AM
Well when I become President feel free to name your Beer, meads or wines whatever you want. But be warned if it tastes like shit it will be banned, Goodbye Bud Light!!!

Echostatic
04-21-2012, 03:30 AM
Silliness abounds. In Canada we can't have Mountain Dew with caffeine, but codeine's an OTC product... If it's .5% or less alcohol (near-beer and dealcolized wine coolers are available anywhere), it's not a controlled substance as far as Ontario's concerned, how much alcohol did that lemonade have?

It was .5%, though the company stated it was closer to .3%.

Hilarious video about it
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/270018/april-07-2010/nailed--em---fentimans-victorian-lemonade

Chevette Girl
04-21-2012, 07:27 AM
The "for the children" excuse is major issue for me. They're putting up speed cameras in Chicago "for the children," even though there is no data to support the need. It has nothing to do with all the tickets they'll be able to write.

IWhat I did NOT agree with was forcing bars to become smoke-free because "it limited the parents ability to bring their children into the establishment."

Huh. Well, we made no such excuses when we banned smoking in bars and restaurants, we did it so waitresses wouldn't die from secondhand smoke. Unfortunately I'd already stopped going to bars because of the smoke so I never got back into it... Heck, we've even banned smoking in your own car if a child is present... (which I don't think is such a bad idea).

The worst "protect the children" thing I've ever seen was a sign in the local community centre: "Save the Children! This is a nut-free area." Yeah, becuase nuts are a danger to one and all and should be banned... We take responsibility for a little bit more over here than you folks do in the 'states and we don't go for frivolous lawsuits so much, but OMG can we not take charge of our own diets? Got news for you, parent of highly nut-allergic kid... the real world CONTAINS NUTS. Kid better learn fast how to avoid them, or maybe you'd better have a few more and hope the next one's got a better chance of survival, instead of making peanut butter sandwiches illegal to bring to school! My brother's kid got sent home from school because the caramel bits on his dessert square "looked like peanuts"...

And around here they never put speed cameras anywhere kids would be, they only put them on the big highways.

TheAlchemist
04-22-2012, 12:05 AM

It has nothing to do with generating income...

Soyala_Amaya
04-22-2012, 09:52 AM

I work at a family owned, antique store/indoor flea market. We are not responsible for the shelving that vendors put into their space, it's up to them to stock, clean, and decorate. HOWEVER, our shopping carts are behind a showcase in a very small little channel, at the opening of which is a free-form shelf (metal strips on the wall you put brackets into, then shelves onto the brackets), that had wood shelves on the bottom two brackets, and glass on the top three.

A parent went over to this little channel (just wide enough for our shopping carts), and started to get a cart. The child started to throw a fit about being put in a cart, so the parent grabbed the child, who was kicking and screaming, and was about to shove them into a cart. The parent swung the child up and into the corner of one of the glass shelves, opening about a 4-5 inch gash on the child's leg, and breaking the shelf. I was standing at the cash register (about 6 feet away) the whole time, watching this happen.

Now, who is at fault in this situation? Us for having an exposed corner 4 feet off the ground at the end of our shopping carts? Or the parent for swinging his kicking child around in a space that was about 2.5 feet wide rather than pull the cart out first?

His insurance refused to pay for the emergency room visit saying the father was an idiot. They don't pay for parents who slam children into shelves. His lawyer tried to sue us for the $2,000 emergency room visit...and another $20,000 in emotional distress and damages. Yep, $20,000 because the father had no space perception and used his own child as a projectile, which was obviously our fault.

(Our insurance eventually paid them the $2,000, but no one besides the child's parents though the $20,000 was anything but a joke.)

Chevette Girl
04-22-2012, 11:46 AM
but no one besides the child's parents though the $20,000 was anything but a joke.

Thank the gods for that. There is hope, after all...

TheAlchemist
04-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Spam alert.
Oscaar we need you.

Meadrol
04-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Well when I become President feel free to name your Beer, meads or wines whatever you want. But be warned if it tastes like shit it will be banned, Goodbye Bud Light!!!

Well, there goes my Tastes Like Ass Braggot idea *sigh* :o

TAKeyser
04-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Well, there goes my Tastes Like Ass Braggot idea *sigh* :o

Well is that just the name of the Braggot of is that the flavour profile that you are aiming for lol

Meadrol
04-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Well is that just the name of the Braggot of is that the flavour profile that you are aiming for lol

Haha! At first it was just going to be the name, but now I'm thinking that I might aim for that flavour profile and give it to shitheads for Christmas gifts.

ChadK
04-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Haha! At first it was just going to be the name, but now I'm thinking that I might aim for that flavour profile and give it to shitheads for Christmas gifts.

As amusing as that sounds. I think that'd backfire. The shitheads won't think you insulted them by giving them ass mead, they'll just think you're a shitty mead maker. (is there a word for that?)

Meadrol
04-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Wow, this could be a whole new thread...what kind of mead really says, "I Hate You" LOL

Chevette Girl
04-24-2012, 09:41 PM
That IS a good idea for a thread (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?p=190417)!

Meadrol
04-24-2012, 10:12 PM
I see I'm going to have to keep my eye on you, missy!:p

BBBF
04-25-2012, 08:40 AM
As amusing as that sounds. I think that'd backfire. The shitheads won't think you insulted them by giving them ass mead, they'll just think you're a shitty mead maker. (is there a word for that?)

I call dibs on the Scheiße Cup, a mead competition for exceptionally bad meads.

gdsmit1
04-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Wow, it's great to see another forum where a thread can go so off track so fast.

(Our insurance eventually paid them the $2,000, but no one besides the child's parents though the $20,000 was anything but a joke.)
I'm sure that his lawyer thought it was a great idea as well.

Soyala_Amaya
04-25-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm sure that his lawyer thought it was a great idea as well.

Oh yeah, I'm also sure that this wasn't one of those cases where "We only win if YOU win!" Lawyers only do that if they think you'll win, heh.