PDA

View Full Version : My name is IvanhoeMT, and I am a mead brewer...

IvanhoeMT
04-20-2012, 04:56 PM
First post, just found the site. I am excited to tap the hive knowledge of the art of mead making. I've brewed dozens of beers over the last couple of years. I brewed my first mead Feb 2011, bottled it in January 2012. It is so good that I am down to only 3 liters of a 5 gallon batch, everybody who has tried it loves it. I have concluded that my brewing future lies in mead rather than beer. I live in Helena, MT, so if I want a fresh beer I have two fantastic taprooms to visit. Mead, however, can be a bit more tricky to come by, so I have decided to concentrate my efforts here. We'll see how it goes. Thanks in advance for all the help and expertise!

mmclean
04-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Welcome to GOTMEAD?

Hope to see some of your brewlogs soon.

MacFearghais109
04-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Welcome!!! I too made a rather large batch for my first meading and am down to only 6-7 750 bottles! As a matter of interest what's the honey like up there? Hope to share with you soon! :)

IvanhoeMT
04-21-2012, 08:08 AM
I have yet to use any local honey, but it is definitely on the list of things to explore. My understanding is that Alfalfa is the most common local variety, but don't quote that as fact. Also of interest to me is the possibility of finding honey from the Flathead area cherry orchards.

To be honest, the two meads I have brewed have been using clover honey purchased from Costco. At least I hope it is honey and not honey/HFCS. FWIW I do have in my possesion 12 lbs of blackberry flower honey that I will brew up next Sunday.

Penguinetti
04-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Welcome Ivan.

Hope you find everything you need here! Also, the place is great, so I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.