PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing ?

MJJ
04-23-2012, 07:34 PM
In a 6 gallon carboy I am going to make a 5.25 gallon batch. (Need headspace for volcanic activity)

12 quarts of L&A Pineapple Coconut Juice
10 lbs of clover honey
Spring water to balance
5 tbs fresh grated Ginger
2.5 tsp allspice.
2 vanilla beans
1/4 tsp Potassium Metabisulohite
1 Lalvin 71-B yeast

skunkboy
04-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Is this your spiced rum mead recipe? Looks interesting, but I have no idea what the juice you are using tastes like.

ChadK
04-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Is this your spiced rum mead recipe? Looks interesting, but I have no idea what the juice you are using tastes like.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "pineapple coconut." ;D

MJJ
04-23-2012, 08:05 PM

Sort of, This is the original.
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19666.

When I learned about "L&A Pineapple Coconut Juice"
I decided to make a batch with it. I love Pina Colada's

Do I need tannin & pectic enzyme or anything else?

skunkboy
04-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Not sure about tannin, you can always add that later on.

Don't think it would hurt to toss in some pectic enzyme, especially if the pineapple got cooked to sterilize it on the way to becoming the juice you used.

MJJ
04-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Not sure about tannin, you can always add that later on.

Don't think it would hurt to toss in some pectic enzyme, especially if the pineapple got cooked to sterilize it on the way to becoming the juice you used.

How much pectic enzyme should I use & what about acid blend?

TAKeyser
04-23-2012, 10:44 PM
How much pectic enzyme should I use & what about acid blend?

I would avoid adding any acid at this time and the brand of Pectic Enzyme I have says 1/2 tsp per gallon

skunkboy
04-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Like tannin, you can add acid later, if you feel it is a good idea.

Chevette Girl
04-24-2012, 01:06 AM
You'll be getting plenty of acid from the pineapple :) And I also toss my vote in for 1/2 tsp per gallon of pectic enzyme, it will never hurt. I also skip the metabisulphite at the beginning, but that one's up to you. some folks always use it, some never do.

Sounds tasty!

MJJ
04-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Thank you everybody

MJJ
04-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Well I started this batch last Thursday, The 26. I decided not to pre-disinfect the must. I couldn't find my Lalvin 71-B yeast & I wasn't going to drive 5 miles for 1 packet of yeast so I used Lalvin EC 1118 yeast. The must started to ferment in 1 hr. By late evening, The fermentation was so violent it popped the blow by tube & I had must every where, including on the ceiling. The foam was so thick it plugged the tube. I had to replace the tube 3 times. I didn't have to replace it today (So far). It is still pushing allot of gas & foam. It sounds like machine gun bursts. (I wonder if I did go to the supply store & got some Lalvin 71-B & used it, Maybe the fermentation wouldn't be so violent)

skunkboy
04-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Yes, 1118 is champagne yeast, and it tends to ferment pretty fast. So it is probably being more active than if you had used 1122.