PDA

View Full Version : experimenting with juice and bread yeast

Classick
05-13-2012, 06:15 PM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn149/classick59/20120513_141712.jpg

Should make an interesting hard juice

skunkboy
05-13-2012, 06:38 PM
My bet would be on the apple juice, but I like apple juice... :)

Altricious
05-13-2012, 08:54 PM
I had leftover cranberry apple juice sitting around that I started about 2 weeks ago except I used wine yeast and regular sugar. It already tastes pretty good.

As for your choices, I'm voting against the peach, but that's just because I don't really like peaches. ;)

Classick
05-14-2012, 12:02 AM
peach 1.120sg
cyser 1.115sg
guave/pineapple 1.110sg
plus 1/2 packet of Red Star Instant Blend Dry Yeast in each

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn149/classick59/468403_10150756027200736_543350735_9401028_1000169 702_o.jpg
then a mixomel that had to have half gallon of tap water added to fill the gallon
im hoping all are drinkable but this is as cheap as i can see to be if not im only out $30

next on the list is the
The Friendship Dessert (http://baking.about.com/library/weekly/aa011198.htm)

Echostatic
05-14-2012, 01:05 AM
You should blend a small amount from each all together and see how it is!

Classick
05-14-2012, 03:12 AM
thats the mixomel lol
which in a matter of 2 minutes took off crazy
the cysers steadily comin around but welchs an minute maid need a kick start so added another half packet of yeast then thru in 3/4ths tsp of nutrient ill check on it in the morn

hepcat
05-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Mother's Day melomels lol. I like the simplicity and pics of what you're doing. Keep us posted.

Penguinetti
05-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Ah, great value. What a great brand.

Like going to a car salesman named 'Honest Dave'...

... and then finding out he really is honest.

Classick
05-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Ah, great value. What a great brand.

Like going to a car salesman named 'Honest Dave'...

... and then finding out he really is honest.

to see the price of honey online for different flavors my wife would cringe at the thought of me buying 5 gallons lol especially when i only know 2 people round here who dont call it hooch

i'm cheap and impatient kind of like my mead but i'm me and it's mine 8)

anway so the juices fired up fermentation and the peach needed a blow off, i took a small sip and the peach has my vote even though i havent tasted the others yet

Penguinetti
05-14-2012, 11:53 AM
to see the price of honey online for different flavors my wife would cringe at the thought of me buying 5 gallons lol especially when i only know 2 people round here who dont call it hooch

i'm cheap and impatient kind of like my mead but i'm me and it's mine 8)

anway so the juices fired up fermentation and the peach needed a blow off, i took a small sip and the peach has my vote even though i havent tasted the others yet

Oh, I don't blame you. I use Walmart for many items as well... (probably some that I shouldn't, even).

I'm always surprised at how much I enjoy the taste of peach in drinks and food. I would say it's a safe bet that your peach mead will come out splendid.

Classick
12-10-2012, 08:28 AM
hello everyone I'm back well 1/2 year later, tasted my experiments and came to realization of them flopping. Age won't do no justice here

Medsen Fey
12-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Well, if you can provide more specifics about what you find wrong with it, and if you give some recipe details, folks may have ideas on how to improve your outcomes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Classick
12-10-2012, 11:03 AM
All very acidic like a lemon without the flavor

Cyser: never cleared, acidic, no sweetness, no apple flavor Just bleh /never again = fail

Guava pineapple: sweet but again acidic, strong juice flavor, strong burn after taste (everclear comes to mind)/ with some tweaking maybe redoable

Peach: cleared, hint of peach flavor but as bad as the cyser

wierdomel: well that is just not worth mentioning

*edit* maybe these are just dry and someone may like them however is not my taste

any specific questions? again this was just an experiment with the least amount of time effort and money and can say I got what i paid for

Chevette Girl
12-16-2012, 02:32 AM
Well, my and other folks' experiments involving bread yeast and less honey than in a JAO have generally found it to be pretty gross when it's dry, did you try adding a bit of honey to a sample of each of these and see if that improves it? Sometimes a little sweetness will perk up the flavours that you think are gone...

I've slowly and grudgingly come to the realization that I just don't like most dry meads, you may be the same.

fatbloke
12-16-2012, 04:31 AM
Well, my and other folks' experiments involving bread yeast and less honey than in a JAO have generally found it to be pretty gross when it's dry, did you try adding a bit of honey to a sample of each of these and see if that improves it? Sometimes a little sweetness will perk up the flavours that you think are gone...

I've slowly and grudgingly come to the realization that I just don't like most dry meads, you may be the same.
Spot on there CG. It's the same result as making a JAO with wine yeast.

It focuses the flavours on the negatives of each fruit, that we're not familiar with in the whole fruit or the pure juice - all of which are "balanced" naturally.

So while Classick is using the term "flopped", I'd have thought that it should be possible to do some of the "end production" procedures and methods that change some brews from "bleargh" to "umm.... not to bad at all".

Without having to dig around the net to find all the "sciencey" stuff, back sweetening or sweetening/flavour modification like adding more juice to secondary to get more of the original fruit flavour or back sweetening with either the original juice (if it's naturally sweet enough) or honey could/would/should cover some excess acidity in the taste. Possibly some tannin addition might help, etc etc etc.

After all, they're never just gonna taste like the original juice, but with a "kick" are they, but there's no reason why they can't be improved to be better.

It sounds to me that Classick has got them to about half or maybe 2/3rd of the way through the making of a drinkable end result - they just need some more work/thought/effort......

You only need to think of how hideous some young meads can taste. I've yet to have anything that tastes good at this stage. All my batches need some post-ferment work......