PDA

View Full Version : Too much nitrogen??

Outdoorsman88
05-16-2012, 06:23 AM
So I'm going to attempt my first real mead this weekend (aka NOT JAOM), and was wondering if anyone had any insight into the question of nutrients. I am planning on using FermaidK along with a nutrient, and was curious to see if there was any negative to using too much nitrogen, since I know FermK has some nitrogen in it. I plan on using a dosage schedule as such:

Before yeast pitch- 50% nutrient, 33% FermK
Start of fermentation- 50% nutrient, 33% FermK
50% sugar break- 33% FermK

Total of 1.75 tsp of FermK and 3 tsp nutrient

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to the possible overuse of nitrogen in a mead and how it can help or hinder your mead?

hepcat
05-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Good luck with your first batch. I can tell you one of the first things people on here will want to know: how many gallons is your batch?

Outdoorsman88
05-16-2012, 07:02 AM
First post and I'm already screwin up! It's 5 gallons, a variation of a Ginger mead.

15# wildflower honey
pinch of nutmeg
3 cinnamon sticks
lots (very precise) of ginger
pinch of allspice
2 packs Lalvin D47 (rehydrated)
nutrient and FermK dosage as above

Nathan K
05-16-2012, 12:05 PM
You should be fine with 3 tsp of DAP, even with the Fermaid K. I believe the guidelines for DAP indicate that you can use up to 20 grams in 5 gallons, even if you are using another mixed nutrient source that also contains DAP.

HunnyBunz
05-16-2012, 01:33 PM
You may also want to consider waiting until the lag phase is over before adding your first dose of nutrients. This is when the yeast cells are acclimating to their new environment and if they beef up on nitrogen too fast they can start out going gang-busters, then stall out before fermentation is complete.

And most folks around here usually stop their nutrient additions about the 1/3 sugar break since nutrients are not utilized after the half-way point. Do a forum search on "Staggered Nutrient Additions" to get more info. There are a lot of different methods, amounts, and opinions that people have so it's not something that is set in stone.

It looks like it will be a tasty recipe. I've been wanting to try something with ginger soon. And BTW - welcome to the forum!

fatbloke
05-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Whereas, I would suggest a read of the NewBee guide and a search.

The guide has some excellent advice, and there's a few threads that explain dosage quantities. Some are a little on the technical side, but at least one (courtesy of WayneB) that gives a decent basic precis of dosages.....

Medsen Fey
05-16-2012, 07:20 PM
It is possible to use too much nitrogen which can lead to sulfur odors, off flavors (metallic, salty), and leftover nutrition for spoilage organisms. However you really have to over-do it - probably more than 2 tsp per gallon of DAP.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2