PDA

View Full Version : Not exactly Mead, but to those who love honey....

Vandall
05-22-2012, 11:57 AM
I have some very close family friends, no they are family, who came to America from Poland back in the late 1970's. Witold, my "uncle", always got out the Honey Vodka at family gatherings and it is just awesome. I figured that this collection of great people on Got Mead would appreciate this. The recipe is simple: Take a fifth of very cheap vodka and remove about 1/4 of it from the bottle. Top off the bottle with honey and shake the living crap out of it until it becomes a nice uniform golden color. At this point put it in the freezer and save it for special occasions. Serve it in shot glasses cold, right from the freezer after a vigorous shake. I hope you enjoy this, I know everyone I've shared it with has.;D

Vandall

K5MOW
05-22-2012, 04:06 PM
I have some very close family friends, no they are family, who came to America from Poland back in the late 1970's. Witold, my "uncle", always got out the Honey Vodka at family gatherings and it is just awesome. I figured that this collection of great people on Got Mead would appreciate this. The recipe is simple: Take a fifth of very cheap vodka and remove about 1/4 of it from the bottle. Top off the bottle with honey and shake the living crap out of it until it becomes a nice uniform golden color. At this point put it in the freezer and save it for special occasions. Serve it in shot glasses cold, right from the freezer after a vigorous shake. I hope you enjoy this, I know everyone I've shared it with has.;D

Vandall

This sounds very good. I am going to try this soon.

Roger

Fisk Jaegaren
05-22-2012, 09:46 PM
The honey whiskey's are other versions of this, Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey make very good honey blend whiskey's.

Penguinetti
05-23-2012, 02:31 PM
My in-law;s family had me drink Wodka Zoladkowa with Miod. Actually, I don't exactly remember if the name was that or Miodkowka Zoladkowa. Either way, I loved every drop of it.

Really good stuff.

Also, from Ireland, the Celtic Crossings Honey Whiskey Liquer

Vandall
05-23-2012, 03:30 PM
I had a few really bad run-ins with whiskey when I was younger and stupider. :-X To this day I can not stand to even smell whiskey or bourbon. I won't even buy mead aged in bourbon barrels, I know I won't like it and it brings back bad memories.

Fisk Jaegaren
05-23-2012, 03:50 PM
I had a few really bad run-ins with whiskey when I was younger and stupider. :-X To this day I can not stand to even smell whiskey or bourbon. I won't even buy mead aged in bourbon barrels, I know I won't like it and it brings back bad memories.

Yeah, I remember you telling me about that at Kuhnhenn's, I think you nearly puked at the mention of the bourbon barrel mead I tried there!

ChadK
05-24-2012, 11:02 AM

That's interesting. I hear more stories like that about tequila than whiskey.

Penguinetti
05-24-2012, 11:56 AM

For me, it was Bacardi O and Peach Schnapps...

I was a manly man.

TheAlchemist
05-24-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm going to try this with some vanilla vodka I have in the freezer.

Chevette Girl
05-24-2012, 12:31 PM
I guess we all have our battle stories, mine involved vodka and orange juice, :puke: I still can't take orange juice... somehow I'm still OK with vodka.

And I have a friend who can't do tequila AT ALL anymore, even if she doesn't know it was tekillya on the way down, it bounces right back up. Oddly enough, for her, it's the ONLY thing that bounces, whatever else was already inside stays...

The honey and vodka thing could be a really useful way to make something if you have only a small amount of some really expensive varietal or something...

TheAlchemist
05-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Trying this now...a recommendation: unfreeze the vodka first...otherwise the honey won't make friends with it.

Penguinetti
05-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Trying this now...a recommendation: unfreeze the vodka first...otherwise the honey won't make friends with it.

Somehow i feel like this is dire, need-to-know information.

HunnyBunz
05-24-2012, 01:33 PM

My horror story involves a whole pint of tequila consumed in about a 2 hour period.

I don't do stupid things like that anymore. I still like a good tequila though.