• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I need a quick fix

Barrel Char Wood Products

brian92fs

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 24, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Sometimes waiting for your mead to mature is hard. So I decided to give beer brewing a shot for some short-term relief. Got my first batch into primary yesterday. I’ve never done a beer before, but decided to jump into the deep and try it with all grain. And just to make things even more interesting, I created my own recipe with help from BeerSmith. It’s a clone of New Belgium Brewing Company’s Fat Tire. One of my favorite every-day easy drinking beers.

Wish me luck!

HunnyBunz

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 29, 2011
Salem, OR
Hope it turns out well for you.

What made you decide to go with the all grain method as opposed to using the "easy" beginners' route using malt extract? Is it because you're trying to reproduce Fat Tire?

brian92fs

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 24, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Hope it turns out well for you.

What made you decide to go with the all grain method as opposed to using the "easy" beginners' route using malt extract? Is it because you're trying to reproduce Fat Tire?

Well, I was going to do extract with steeped specialty grains. I started looking into steeping and figured I'm already half-way to a mashing, so I decided to try all grain. Also, I find that the process itself is part of the fun, whether its mead or beer.

My version of all grain was pretty basic. One step infusion mash in an 48 quart Igloo cooler with a single batch sparge. Efficiency was pretty bad (55% - 60%), but it still got up to 1.049 SG.

I very curious too see how this turns out.

HunnyBunz

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 29, 2011
Salem, OR
Well, I was going to do extract with steeped specialty grains. I started looking into steeping and figured I'm already half-way to a mashing, so I decided to try all grain. Also, I find that the process itself is part of the fun, whether its mead or beer.

My version of all grain was pretty basic. One step infusion mash in an 48 quart Igloo cooler with a single batch sparge. Efficiency was pretty bad (55% - 60%), but it still got up to 1.049 SG.

I very curious too see how this turns out.

You should post a brew log in the beer section. ;)

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
This weekend I'll be making a beer as well, I'm not as ambitious as you are this time though and I'm just going with an extract and grain recipe. Just don't have the motivation to dig out all my equipment and standing outside in 90+ heat doing it all grain. I'm doing a Summer Shandy style (at my dads request), but using a Cream Ale as the base.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Hydromels can also be quick, my ginger hydromel was started June 22 and I had bottled it July 7 and it was carb'd a week later.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns