PDA

View Full Version : Lalvin M69

IcecreamStPete
05-26-2012, 08:24 PM
http://www.lallemandwine.us/products/yeast_strains.php#M69

Anyone ever make a warm fermenting mead with this one?

I'm thinking about an unpasteurized (cold) mix (water+honey+mix like hell with a wine degasser).

I'm then thinking about letting it ferment at around 78 - 80 degrees.

Anything seem wrong about this?

Is this a ridiculous yeast choice?

I've done a cold mix before, but I had cooler fermenting temperatures.

I'm looking for something low maintenance, something I can ferment at my average room temperature.

Thanks!

TAKeyser
05-26-2012, 09:05 PM
It doesn't seem like a low maintenance yeast since you'll need to follow a good Staggard Nutrient schedule to meet the requirements of the yeast.

tweak'e
05-27-2012, 12:25 AM
it sounds fairly good. not really going to know without trying tho.
need to pay attention to feeding and cooler will be better.
just watch it may take it a bit drier than most others due to low conversion efficiency of sugar ie eats through more honey before it hits alcohol tolerance.

give it a go and tell us how it turns out.

fatbloke
05-27-2012, 05:40 AM
Hum ? Well it reads like it should be.good, though not as low maintenance as, say, K1V-1116.

Plus you'd have to hunt for it in home brew sized packs. Maybe somewhere like morewine!

akueck
05-27-2012, 08:36 AM
If you can find it, it sounds like it might be a good candidate for high temp fermentations. Folks are always on the lookout for those.

I would still do your normal nutrient additions, it doesn't sound like a pitch-it-and-forget-it kind of yeast. But the extra glycerol sounds like it could be fun.

TAKeyser
05-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Since Fatbloke mentioned Morewine, I went to see if I could find M69 in homebrew size there and I didn't see it, but I recently purchased Lalvins Clos Yeast from them (haven't yet used it) and based on the description it seems like it might be what you are looking for

"Clos is a new yeast strain that was recently isolated in the Priorat region of Spain. Clos was chosen for its ability to re-enforce structure while emphasizing aromatic complexity and mouthfeel. Sweet red fruit (cherry), with pepper and chocolate notes are typical of what Clos brings to a fermentation. With hot climate/high Brix fruit, Clos is a great choice for its high alcohol tolerance (17%), low Nitrogen needs and short lag phase. Clos also does well with higher fermentation temperatures (max 95 F) and shows a good compatibility with MLF. Highly recommended for Syrah, Petite Syrah, Grenache, Tempranillo and Carignane."

High temp and low Nitrogen means fairly low maintenance. You can find it at http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/11425//Dry_Wine_Yeast_-_Clos_8g

Chevette Girl
05-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Ooh, something else that's not bad at higher temps. Gotta make a note of that one! :)