• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Arizona's First Meadery

Barrel Char Wood Products

jherbert

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Prescott, Arizona
Hello Gotmead folks!

This Summer I am opening the first meadery in Arizona, the Superstition Meadery. My Federal TTB Winery permit arrived last week, and the AZ Domestic Farm Winery License should arrive next week. Now it is Formula and Label approval time, so our launch date should be in late July or early August.

On that note, if you have a good idea to name a mead, in the general theme of superstition or mythology, pass it along. I would like to incorporate suggestions from mead fans on product development!

Also, we are entering the Mission Small Business grant competition sponsored by Chase, Living Social, and Facebook.

We need 250 votes in the next few weeks, and are halfway there. If you have a facebook account it only takes 1 minute to vote for us. We would really appreciate your support in voting for us and sharing this opportunity with your social network to support Arizona's First Meadery.

1. Click on: www.missionsmallbusiness.com

2. Click: Log in and Support

3. Enter: superstition meadery in the business name and hit search

4. Click: Vote

If we win, everyone who votes gets a free glass of mead!

We are also the first alternating proprietorship in Arizona, leasing a small space at Juniper Well Ranch and Vineyards, just outside Prescott, AZ.

We will offer a variety of meads including vanilla mead, oak barrel aged mead, a dry orange mead and a sweet maple mead on tap. If anyone is visiting Arizona, let me know to arrange a personal winery/meadery tour. Juniper Well Ranch also has guest cabins for rent and is a great place to unplug for a weekend.

I have been working hard to promote mead at local events over the past year, having served up both mead and education to lots of folks.

I look forward to sharing mead with you in the future,

Jeff Herbert

superstitionmeadery@hotmail.com

jherbert

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Prescott, Arizona
Thanks so much. Once I am up and running I will set up a fedex account to send mead out of state, where permitted. I appreciate your support.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I voted too, although I'll forgive you if you can't make good on my glass since it's unlikely I'll ever end up in AZ! :)

vanilla mead, oak barrel aged mead, a dry orange mead and a sweet maple mead, huh?

All I can come up with right now is an Iron Maiden reference for the maple, Acers High... but I'll keep thinking on it... oh, wait, the hamster's woken up after all...

If you ever use clover honey for traditional, Four Leaf Clover mead.

Maybe Broken Mirror Vanilla?

Lightning Strikes Twice Acerglyn?

Friday the 13th Oak Barrel? (I need to make one of my own weirdomels to be a Friday 13th mead, I was born on one ;D)

can't think how to incorporate any of the rest of the superstitions I can think of... salt over the left shoulder... black cats... going under ladders... horseshoes... (I wouldn't want one in my mead, and I'm the one who occasionally chucks car parts in mine!)

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
Cool news, Jeff.

I live down in Tucson, and I will surely make a trip up to Prescott to visit when you open your doors.

Good luck!

-Clay

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
I like the Friday the 13th theme.
Well the only thing I know of Arizona, is that generally it gets hot, damned hot !

But, the Friday the 13th thing is a fair idea. You could get on the Hollywood/hockey mask thing for Halloween, while at the same time (and a little research), have some focus on "The Knights Templar". After all, wasn't it their demise that started the Friday 13th/unlucky superstition ?

Good luck with the meadery though.......

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
There's a whole lot about thirteen, I think that started with the Last Supper, 12 disciples plus Jesus... we all know how THAT ended... on Good Friday.

Meh. Pretty much my only birthdays that haven't sucked have been the Friday ones.

And be careful with the hockey mask thing, that could cause it to be a copyright or trademark infringement with the movies. But researching that down into some of the stuff that would be from an era where mead would have been more popular, now that's definitely a good suggestion :)

Definitely gotta get some names from AZ mythology, such as the Lost Dutchman's Goldmine (in the Superstition mountains in AZ :)) I assume that's the superstitions you're talking about, not general superstition. You could name one something like "The dutchman's gold" if there were legal infringements on the name. Just seems so appropriate. I live up in Flagstaff, so I'm totally down for a road trip!

jherbert

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Prescott, Arizona
I used to live in the shadow of the Supes, but I chose the name to refer to superstition in general. So an inspiration from the mountains where I first made mead, but a perfect fit with the history and folklore of the drink.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns