PDA

View Full Version : Removing Labels

TAKeyser
06-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Cleaning up the messes we all seem to have with empty bottles overflowing in basements and garages got mentioned recently in THIS THREAD (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?p=192509#post192509).

I mentioned that I was trying to de-label a batch of free bottles I collected and I had some extremely stubborn glue that soaking, scrubbing and Goo-Gone just did not want to get rid of. Well, I found the solution to this sticky situation today..."Oven Off Max" worked like a charm!!!! It's the fume free no heat variety and I sprayed it on let it sit for an hour and got out a sponge with the rough stuff on one side (the same kind of sponge that didn't want to work with the Goo-Gone) and the sticky glue came right off. So happy these 2 cases of bottles could be salvaged :)

TheAlchemist
06-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I find a little chlorine bleach in the soak water helps

Jas53
06-01-2012, 04:04 PM
get all but a few off with oxy-clean soaking overnight

TAKeyser
06-01-2012, 04:11 PM
get all but a few off with oxy-clean soaking overnight

I haven't gotten to all the free cases yet, but the 2 cases of Villa Chambre D'Amour are being stubborn as hell. The first 4 cases I cleaned went smoothly, but damn these damn these bottles.

Chevette Girl
06-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Scraping with knife doesn't help? Argh, nothing's more frustrating than labels that won't come off!

I read on another forum that a few people slather hand cream all over the labels and let it soak in, then they come right off... I haven't tried this because it sounds even messier than Goo-Gone. Others (I think from this forum) have put the bottles in the oven to melt the stubborn adhesive... I use a stainless steel scrubby (thank you Amway!) for the really stubborn ones but I don't like doing it often because it gunks up the scrubby and I've only got one more after this one's done, although most of it will come out if I put the scrubby in the dishwasher.

fatbloke
06-02-2012, 02:52 AM
Well, I just soak overnight, in a soap/water/bleach solution.

The "animal" glued labels seem to just slide off and the glue rinses away with a bit more soap.

If the glue used is more of a "self adhesive" type that's likely come from automated continuous labelling machinery, then a craft blade sorts the paper, then I try a plastic scourer on the glue.

If that fails and gums the scourer to much/quickly, then I just dry the bottles, then use "Preptone", which is a hexane based solvent from the "car spiving" industry, designed for removing stickers or decals from a painted metal surface without damaging the paint or laquered surface.

Never failed so far.

Screen printed on glass labelling, might be different and those bottles get recycled....

wayneb
06-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Well, I found the solution to this sticky situation today..."Oven Off Max" worked like a charm!!!! It's the fume free no heat variety and I sprayed it on let it sit for an hour and got out a sponge with the rough stuff on one side (the same kind of sponge that didn't want to work with the Goo-Gone) and the sticky glue came right off. So happy these 2 cases of bottles could be salvaged :)

Do you mean Easy Off Oven Max? That's the fume free, slightly lemon scented no-heat oven cleaner that also does an excellent job of scrubbing off the scum from our shower stall. If that's the stuff, I've gotta try it on bottles with stubborn labels!

TAKeyser
06-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Do you mean Easy Off Oven Max? That's the fume free, slightly lemon scented no-heat oven cleaner that also does an excellent job of scrubbing off the scum from our shower stall. If that's the stuff, I've gotta try it on bottles with stubborn labels!

Yeah that's the stuff!!! Worked like a charm, I peeled as much of the label off as I could than I sprayed it on let it sit for an hour and scrubbed it off with one of those rough sponges (sponge on one side, green rough stuff on the other) and it worked great.

I'm going to have to try it on the glass shower door now :D I hate cleaning that thing.

wayneb
06-02-2012, 07:41 PM
I'm going to have to try it on the glass shower door now :D I hate cleaning that thing.

Spray it on with the door completely dry since water deactivates the chemical (which is why you clean it up with water). You might have to set the door down horizontally to keep the chemical from sliding off before it has a chance to do its work. I've only used it on the base of our shower, where it works wonderfully.

TAKeyser
06-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Spray it on with the door completely dry since water deactivates the chemical (which is why you clean it up with water). You might have to set the door down horizontally to keep the chemical from sliding off before it has a chance to do its work. I've only used it on the base of our shower, where it works wonderfully.

Anything that makes life easier is a great thing.

skunkboy
06-03-2012, 03:21 PM
How many bottles per container of cleaner are you getting done?

Chevette Girl
06-03-2012, 03:26 PM

Inquiring minds want to know :) This sounds like an acceptable solution for those really frigging annoying labels!

And what can you do about the screened-on-glass stuff, anything? Such a shame to have to recycle some of those otherwise nice bottles.

TAKeyser
06-03-2012, 03:47 PM

I got 24 bottles out of the partially used bottle that was sitting in the cabinet.

So when do I get that Sweet Hibiscus recipe from you Skunkboy?

skunkboy
06-04-2012, 01:33 PM
I will make a note to post to get you a copy of that.

TAKeyser
06-04-2012, 01:35 PM
I will make a note to post to get you a copy of that.

In that case pretend I just didn't bug you for it in another thread lol

kudapucat
06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
And what can you do about the screened-on-glass stuff, anything? Such a shame to have to recycle some of those otherwise nice bottles.

I just hit them with some steel wool. It comes off ok, a touch annoying, but ok.
I've been intending to try thinners or turps, but haven't got there yet.

Jas53
06-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Screen printed on glass labelling, might be different and those bottles get recycled....

Try this out for the screen printed bottles - possibly worth a try. http://www.ehow.com/how_6607649_remove-lettering-glass-bottles.html

Chevette Girl
06-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Try this out for the screen printed bottles - possibly worth a try. http://www.ehow.com/how_6607649_remove-lettering-glass-bottles.html

Ooh, thank you. I never would have thought of acid blend!

Soyala_Amaya
06-05-2012, 10:19 AM
For most of my labels (the hard ones that need a bit more help than just soaking off) I have a curved knife that just perfectly fits a bottle. Shaped kind of like this http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/002.gif It works wonders, and doesn't make my wrist ache like scrubbing does.

Chevette Girl
06-05-2012, 11:18 AM
I use the edge of a spoon, sometimes the curve fits about right. And I don't have to worry about impaling myself.

TAKeyser
06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm not sure what they used to adhere these particular labels to the bottles, but I tried a knife eerily similar to the one Soyala uses as well as a spoon and this glue just kind of spread around making it even harder to get off. The Easy Off oven cleaner worked wonders though.

Soyala_Amaya
06-05-2012, 02:38 PM
I use the edge of a spoon, sometimes the curve fits about right. And I don't have to worry about impaling myself.

...if I DON'T try to accomplish a task with a knife my family thinks I'm sick. My sharp and pointy collection probably needs its own room.

Chevette Girl
06-05-2012, 02:57 PM
...if I DON'T try to accomplish a task with a knife my family thinks I'm sick. My sharp and pointy collection probably needs its own room.

I have a good number of sharp and pointies too, but also a good crop of scars to go with. I hate being a klutz, I dropped a half-gal carboy last night (dented the linoleum but didn't break!), fluffed up the lees fumbling around with the racking cane yesterday, dropped two pairs of batteries this morning and just now tripped over something that's been in place for at least six months. Hence, spoon.

lauent
06-06-2012, 03:27 AM
There is a bottling company which actually sells used and sanitized bottles and actually sells them to those who are interested with it.

Though the problem is that they are attaching a similar label right by the bottom side of the bottle that is quite tricky to take off as it leaves that sticky residue.

So it has to be manual removed which could take a very long time. Though considering what is made is just for personal consumption, that should be just right.

Soyala_Amaya
06-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Two days ago I put roughly 100 bottles into the tub with a $1 container of off-brand sodium per-carbonate from the dollar store...I forgot to see how big it was, but the size of the container was roughly the size of a cottage cheese container. I soaked the bottles over night, the scrubbed and scraped all the labels off.

Quite a few beer labels were floating when I got to the tub, and most of the rest just slipped off in my hand. Every once in a while the beer bottles would need a swipe with my scrubbie (round plastic soft thing) the get the last of the glue residue off.

Most of the wine labels still required pulling for the top layer, but the bottom layer on many could now be scrubbed off instead of scraped. Some still required scraping, then hard scrubbing...and one is in the sink soaking again because it is a stubborn SOB.

All in all, was done delabeling 100 misc bottles in about an hour. Not bad.

Today, I had an equal number of bottles in the same tub with 3 qts of bleach. We will see how it stacks up!

wildoates
06-14-2012, 10:57 AM
The tub. Duh. Why the heck didn't I think of that?!

I'm a doofus.

Soyala_Amaya
06-14-2012, 09:15 PM
The bathtub is great when I'm doing a ton of bottles! I can lay them all over on their sides, it fits about 100 bottles, drains itself, and I have to wash it once a month or so anyway for tub scum. It's not where I SANITIZE my bottles, but for a mass exodus of labels like this, it's amazing!

Soyala_Amaya
06-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Alright, just finished scrubbing and scraping all my other bottles...bleach is not NEAR as effective a delabling agent as oxy-clean.

There were very few floating labels when I wiggled the bottles in the tub. Almost NONE came off in one piece, I had to take most labels off in strips that left white gunk on the bottle. And I think only the guinness and the angry orchard hard ciders didn't have to be wiped down or scrubbed to get the glue residue off. I had to use the knife a LOT more, and on regular beer bottles to boot.

My interpretation, the oxyclean actually affected the glue, hence why there was little wiping and scrubbing, and many labels just let go on their own overnight. The bleach only affected the paper labels, causing them to disintegrate and made my job a lot harder.

Neither one touched the screen printed bottles, and neither the bleach, oxy clean, or vinegar (only tried on this one bottle) touched the glue from the freaking Loco #1 from Brooklyn. That one I just wound up throwing away along with the case I opened and discovered they were all corona's (screen printed).

All in all, a productive weekend, and an end to the debate. Soak most bottles over night with oxy-clean (sodium per-carbonate) and the labels are pretty easy to get off.

Chevette Girl
06-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Soyala, thanks for the info. I may put this to the test next time I see oxy-clean on sale and have a big enough batch to take over the laundry tub... (I usually use a bucket and soak 7 at a time in hot soapy water, tried it in the laundry tub once and since it's in the basement the soap bubbles foamed out the floor drain!)

Jas53
06-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Soyala, thanks for the info. I may put this to the test next time I see oxy-clean on sale and have a big enough batch to take over the laundry tub... (I usually use a bucket and soak 7 at a time in hot soapy water, tried it in the laundry tub once and since it's in the basement the soap bubbles foamed out the floor drain!)

Use oxy-clean to soak beer, wine and champagnes bottles in basement wash tubs all the time.

Soyala_Amaya
06-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Well, I didn't use oxy-clean, I used dollar store Amazing Oxygen Cleaner! (or something like that) It's all sodium per-carbonate, and I did take a look at the container afterwards. It was 16 ozs of Amazing! to the tub vs 3 qts of bleach. I probably could have used less than the whole 16 ozs, which I'll see next time I acquire a crap ton of bottles that need to be delabeld. Yknow, I'll actually read the label or something and see how much they recommend per gallon :P

skunkboy
06-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Oxyclean works great on most stuff, but some things (like BNektar bottles) which have a plastic coating on them don't get enough exposure to come off nice and easy...

TAKeyser
06-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Oxyclean works great on most stuff, but some things (like BNektar bottles) which have a plastic coating on them don't get enough exposure to come off nice and easy...

I usually don't have any problems with the B Nektar bottles. If they are too much work for you Skunkboy save them for me, I like using 375's.

skunkboy
06-17-2012, 08:32 PM
I usually don't have any problems with the B Nektar bottles. If they are too much work for you Skunkboy save them for me, I like using 375's.

Are you still working your way through the older bottles? I have to peel the plastic off of the label on the new ones, then soak them.

TAKeyser
06-17-2012, 08:37 PM
I've gotten to the newer labels, but they've been peeling off pretty easily leaving just a little residue around the edge. I did have one stubborn Zombie Killer bottle, but since I haven't used any of the 500 ml bottles it can sit around until I need it.

kudapucat
06-20-2012, 04:53 PM
The bath is a brilliant idea. DW regularly bleaches it...
Does anybody know of an oxyclean analogue available down under?
<off topic>
It's funny, Meadhers so often want to make 'old school' stuff, whether it be Viking labels, old English spelling, there's often a tribute to mead being ancient.
Having a US company use sensible metric quantities is mildly disturbing! I'm usually right behind the metrication of the US, but this feels a touch weird ;-)
Personally, I like a UK pint. Because I can call it a pint ;-) (even though I measure it in ml)
</off topic>

wayneb
06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Gotta love the internet! This appears to be Oxiclean, only more so (greater concentration of sodium percarbonate) available downunder: http://www.vanishstains.com.au/vanish-napisan-oxi-action-powder.php

kudapucat
06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
You're shitting me Wayne.
That's a household name!
They're on the TV all the time, if we didn't consider it expensive, we'd have it in our laundry already!
Thanks ;-)

kudapucat
06-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Regarding corona bottles.
I tried to remove the screen printing with thinners.
It didn't even soften the paint!
Made it shine bright and clean, but no thinning of the label went on :-(

wayneb
06-21-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm pretty sure the Corona labels are "baked on" enamels, and I've not found any reliable way of removing them either. I just don't bother to re-use Corona bottles. As I can't stand the swill, personally, I don't usually end up with many Corona empties anyway. ;)

Soyala_Amaya
06-21-2012, 11:01 PM
I found a craigslist ad for someone who was getting out of brewing, for about 100 bucks I got almost 300 bottles of various sizes, 3 carboys, and some various odds and ends (caps, corks, brushes, so on). I actually got them LAST summer and just hadn't got around to processing the hoard till THIS summer. I'd had plenty of clean, new bottles from my first couple of excursions to the LHBS to bottle what I had done so far + gifts from family/friends. I was getting to the end of my clean bottle supply though, so it was only now I discovered the corona case. Will know to stay away from them from now on!

Chevette Girl
06-21-2012, 11:47 PM
I was getting to the end of my clean bottle supply though, so it was only now I discovered the corona case. Will know to stay away from them from now on!

I think I kept a box of those just because they were clear... they'd be for my own use (hydromels or perry) since I know they'll never come clean... Too bad Bacardi Breezers come in plastic now, those bottles were perfect...

kudapucat
06-22-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm pretty sure the Corona labels are "baked on" enamels, and I've not found any reliable way of removing them either. I just don't bother to re-use Corona bottles. As I can't stand the swill, personally, I don't usually end up with many Corona empties anyway. ;)

But other ppl drink them, and they're pretty and clear. :-(
I can't stand any beer. So most of my empties are gifts.
A stainless steel scourer will remove the label, but it requires the application of too much elbow grease IMHO.

Thanks for the tip, the baked enamel would certainly explain the imperviousness to thinners. :-(

delco
06-22-2012, 01:06 PM
for about 100 bucks I got almost 300 bottles of various sizes, 3 carboys, and some various odds and ends
In my state we have a nickel bottle deposit. Therefore my grocery gets returned bottles so people can get their deposit back. The grocer lets me go thru the bottle bin and pick out the ones I want for 5 each.;D

Soyala_Amaya
06-22-2012, 02:26 PM
In my state we have a nickel bottle deposit. Therefore my grocery gets returned bottles so people can get their deposit back. The grocer lets me go thru the bottle bin and pick out the ones I want for 5 each.;D

I still got the carboys and other supplies for my 100 bucks, and my state doesn't have bottle deposits. So it was a good deal to me!

skunkboy
06-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Anyone know of anything bottled in clear glass 12 oz bottles anymore?

kudapucat
06-22-2012, 11:00 PM

Many imported Italian lemonades are 8-9 oz and clear, I use these cos they're a buck fifty when full. Cheaper than drinking booze :-)

Obviously coronas, but they have nasty labels.
There was another Mexican beer I can't remember that was clear.
I think there's a German one too.

Champagne bottles are great too, but these are 24 oz generally. The cheap sweet swill my wife likes comes in flint bottles. I crown seal these too.

Duracell
06-23-2012, 11:39 AM

New Castle Brown Ale is in clear 12oz bottles. I just de-labeled a case a few weekends ago. They are sitting waiting for the filling time.

P.S. labels come off really easy too.

skunkboy
06-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Cool, now I need to find some :)

kudapucat
06-26-2012, 05:59 AM
I found that Mexican beer I was talking about.
http://img.tapatalk.com/31b021d1-87dd-fe1b.jpg

kudapucat
12-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Here's a novel way to remove labels!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/20/u2ymusy5.jpg

skunkboy
12-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Does that qualify as mechanical (suction) or chemical? ;)

Chevette Girl
12-19-2012, 11:10 PM
:) Actually the mechanical isn't suction, it's scraping, snails have tongues... but who knows, maybe snail slime does loosen labels the way fabric softener loosens wallpaper!

The_Bishop
12-20-2012, 11:56 AM
I just de-labeled a bunch of bottles. What I've found to work well with the self-adhesive labels, like the BNektar bottles, is to pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees, and let the bottles 'bake' for roughly 1/2 hour. This softens the glue enough that you can pick up the bottle by the neck with an oven mitt, and peel the label off in one smooth shot. I get the corner of the label started with a single-edge razor blade. Most of the time this will remove the label leaving behind a bit of adhesive, which comes right off with a bit of acetone and a rag.

The paper-and-paste labels come right off with a good soak. I wish they were all paper and paste!

Today is bottling day for me. Going to invest in a filter today; my carboys werre nice and crystal clear. Moving them to the bottling table stirred up the bottom slighly, and now they're faintly hazy. Somewhat aggravating.

smertz001
02-03-2013, 03:38 PM
And here I was wondering if my method of using WD40 was too harsh, but oven cleaner and Oxy Clean and such... Yeah, I no longer feel so bad (=

Just remove the paper/plastic parts, spray the bottle when it's completely dry, come back and pretty much wipe off.

Life Rules:
1) If it moves and it should not - Duct tape.
2) If it does not move and it should - WD 40.

I just applied rule #2 and it worked (=

CrystalSitral
02-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Soaking Corona bottles in a dilution of distilled white vinegar does a fairly good job of removing the enamel. On close examination I still see a dull haze of the label, varying from bottle to bottle, but I haven't put any elbow grease to them yet. Just soak for 12-24 hours then give a good wipe and rinse.

smertz001
02-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Medsen maid mention to me about cleaning out one of my primary buckets with PBW, as it smelled and was stained with grapefruit.

Last night I decided to give it a try for beer bottles. I made a solution of the PBW, in one of my buckets, put the bottles in, some with labels still on, some with labels peeled but the glue still on.

Tonight I checked and the bottles, every one of them, were completely cleaned of the labels and glue. There was no elbow greased required on my part to get them off, just wash them out to get the PBW off them and let them dry.

I think I will be doing this from hence forth, instead of the WD40 method that required, well, work! (=

Enjoy!

Marshmallow Blue
02-04-2013, 11:06 PM
I still use the ole elbow grease plus sponge. As long as its not more than 6 bottles at a time it's been okay for me. It also helps to be drinking a beer during the process.

Chevette Girl
02-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Soaking Corona bottles in a dilution of distilled white vinegar does a fairly good job of removing the enamel. On close examination I still see a dull haze of the label, varying from bottle to bottle, but I haven't put any elbow grease to them yet. Just soak for 12-24 hours then give a good wipe and rinse.

Thanks for that tip, if I find any that I didn't already return, I'll give that a try... what dilution do you use?

kudapucat
02-06-2013, 07:04 AM
'Sol' beer is favoured here ATM.
It has removable labels, clear glass and crown seals!
I'm getting as many ppl as I can to collect them.

CrystalSitral
02-06-2013, 10:10 AM
I, uh, just winged it. 1:10 vinegar:water? Could very well have been less.

Medsen Fey
02-06-2013, 12:18 PM
PBW is my preferred approach to removing labels.

I think I will be doing this from hence forth, instead of the WD40 method that required, well, work! (=

Spoken like a true meadcrafter! :)
I've reached the point where I won't scrub anything. If it doesn't come off with PBW soaking I toss it.

TheGiantGinger
04-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Proof that the 1:10 Vinegar:Water method works for the painted on labels. This is just 24 hours later with a light rub with a chucks cloth. The rest comes off pretty easily with something more abrasive. The bottom of that label does seem difficult to completely remove... and that shadow CrystalSitral mentioned is barely there on some bottles... but nothing I doubt another soak wouldn't fix. Took me about a minute a bottle with this after the soak.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2qtv3om.jpg

K5MOW
04-10-2013, 10:16 AM
I use Goo be gone. It works great.

Roger

skunkboy
04-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Proof that the 1:10 Vinegar:Water method works for the painted on labels. This is just 24 hours later with a light rub with a chucks cloth. The rest comes off pretty easily with something more abrasive. The bottom of that label does seem difficult to completely remove... and that shadow CrystalSitral mentioned is barely there on some bottles... but nothing I doubt another soak wouldn't fix. Took me about a minute a bottle with this after the soak.

I've never tried that, but I guess I should, it would be neat to have some more clear glass 12 oz bottles around the place :)

smertz001
04-10-2013, 01:31 PM
I was going to try CLR if I were to do it. But then I found a drinkable beer (New Castle) with paper labels, so I'm saving myself the extra work (=

And I've found that Oxy Clean works better than PBW for cleaning the labels off. But I still prefer PBW for general cleaning, Oxy Clean foams too much for my liking other wise.

Marshmallow Blue
04-10-2013, 02:10 PM
I was de-labeling a Battle Road Farmhouse Ale(Its a local Northern Massachusetts brewery) bomber. I was scrubbing and scrubbing and not making a dent. And the water was beading off. Surely the label is invincible.

I decided to just peel off what I could manually and soak the rest. The whole label came off clean, very little to no glue left behind either. Why can't all bottles be that easy.

kudapucat
04-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Vinyl Lables are awesome.
If you get the temp right, they leave no residue behind.
If you pull them dry, there's some glue on the bottle. Do it hot, and there's sticky glue on the bottle.

I don't do many but I think a hot soak and a partial cool worked best for me with these 'waterproof' labels.

My mead labels are vinyl too. They peel right off if you put it on wonky.
And they survive washing for multiple batches.

Cal
04-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Boiling to soften the glue and paper. Once the paper is gone goo gone to remove glue. A razor blade helps.

Medsen Fey
04-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Boiling to soften the glue and paper. Once the paper is gone goo gone to remove glue. A razor blade helps.

Wet slippery bottles and razor blades sounds like an invitation to the ER (that's casualty unit for those on the other side of the pond).

smertz001
04-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Wet slippery bottles and razor blades sounds like an invitation to the ER (that's casualty unit for those on the other side of the pond).

And that's why, when I bring the razor to bottle, wet or dry, I usually have heavy leather gloves on with long uppers.

Cal
04-17-2013, 09:06 AM
I just scrape away from myself instead of towards so if I slipped I wouldn't knick myself.

Soyala_Amaya
04-17-2013, 09:15 AM
http://www.trueswords.com/cold-steel-steel-tiger-talon-knife-p-2953.html
The curved edge helps a lot.

Frnic
04-17-2013, 07:03 PM
WD-40 lubricant is excellent at removing stubborn glue.