PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on modified JAOM.

BuzzMe
06-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Hi guys,

Long time reader, first time poster. Thanks for all of the information you have shared with us "NewBees"!

I created a modified JAOM using the "stormthecastle" recipe. So, I used 3.5 pounds of clover honey, 1 orange, 20 rasins, Lalvin D47 yeast, yeast energizer, yeast nutrient, and sping water to fill out to almost a full gallon.

I know that I have "voided the warranty" by straying from the EXACT JAOM recipe. What can I say? I'm a rebel! ;D

That being said, I was wondering if I could get an opinion on whether or not I should rack this modified JAOM batch in order to get rid of the lees and help clarify/speed along the batch? It is almost 1.5 months old and had a good fermentation period that is long over with. There is a nice compact lees at the bottom of the jug as well. The fruit hasn't dropped as of yet. But, it is starting to sink down to being completely submerged in the liquid.

From what I have read on this forum, there shouldn't be any negative side effects from bulk aging mead on lees from Lalvin D47 yeast, correct? So, this leads me to wonder if there is any benefit to racking this mead into a clean glass carboy? Thanks!

fatbloke
06-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Well, if Will just modified the recipe, but stayed with the original method, or if that's what you've done, then just leave it "as is".

After all, a benchmark JAO takes about 3 months for the fruit to sink, yet there's still likely to be some sediment on the fruit, which will get disturbed by racking.

There's little to be gained.......

HunnyBunz
06-09-2012, 04:19 PM
I have no experience with sur lie aging, but you shouldn't have any trouble with D47. The only thing about that yeast strain is that it doesn't like temps above 69 degrees - higher temps can cause some off flavors & smells. So, if your fermentation was in the 70+ range and there is a funky taste to it now, aging on the lees may or may not contribute to the problem. I don't know, maybe someone else can clarify that.

At any rate, I would let the fruit drop and then rack it to another container and top it off with a little water, apple juice, or honey/water mixture to get a full gallon. Keep in mind that this could restart your fermentation because it will slightly dilute the alcohol and, if your adding sugar it will give the yeast a little more to munch on. If you use water only and there are no residual sugars at this point (which is likely if you used yeast nutrients) then you'll just be diluting the mead a little with no more fermentation.

If you just want to wait and bottle directly from primary you can do that too. I just like to get 4 full 750 ml bottles out my 1 gallon batches. ;D